Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Playstation 3 Fan Thread

Posts 4,621 to 4,640 of 9,907

Bankai

Fuzzy wrote:

Has anybody tried Atelier Rorona, and do they recommend it? It's only $29 here and it doesn't sound too bad.

I have it. I've only had time to play it for a few hours, but I'm looking forward to getting into it properly.

It's a nice concept, in that it's an JRPG that doesn't focus all that much on combat.

There's a lot of otaku 'charm' to the game, so beward on that account, but if you want to try a very different type of JRPG, I'd say $30 is a safe investment.

The_Fox

WaltzElf wrote:

Western games journalists have a horrible habit of only considering the entertainment value of games based on one value - how 'fun' they are.

Gasp! Imagine that!

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Slapshot

@josh.. Lol that was suppose to be @SilentJ. You both have a J in there.

@Fuzzy... Nope I had no problem there, and I just played that like 30 minutes ago. I had an issue in Chapter 10 (I think it was) where the mechs kept running up the sides of the path on the hills and you had to keep shooting them with the cannon shots. Once I cleared an area and moved to the next area, it was just dead space and nothing happened and I was wondering around doing nothing.

@Starlight.... actually Ape Escape on PSN for this title is probably a great idea. Most PS3 owners have their systems connected to the internet, and buying the game for themselves and children will definitely happen. The game is really fun, and the on-rails gameplay is actually quite deep, and as always incredibly charming in perfect Ape Escape style.

Ape Escape 4 (PS3) is in the works as well!

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

I'm not too keen on the new direction, and none of Ninja Theory's other works struck my fancy. If it turns out great I'll get it, but otherwise I'll stick to DMC 1-4 and pretend the reboot never happened.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

BedCommando

WaltzElf wrote:

Which is incorrect to do.

If a game is not fun to play, no one would play it. Good gameplay is the core foundation of the video game experience, if you don't have that, you don't have a game anyone wants toplay.
Case in point: Superman 64, and E.T.
Only reason anyone would want to play these is to laugh at how terrible they are, but that only lasts afew minutes at most.

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (OnLive)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (XBLA)

Bankai

BedCommando wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

Which is incorrect to do.

If a game is not fun to play, no one would play it. Good gameplay is the core foundation of the video game experience, if you don't have that, you don't have a game anyone wants toplay.
Case in point: Superman 64, and E.T.
Only reason anyone would want to play these is to laugh at how terrible they are, but that only lasts afew minutes at most.

Wait, this is a different discussion entirely. You're talking about gameplay, or more importantly, how technically competent a game needs to be.

The Warriors games check that box. They're competent games, unlike Superman or ET.

The question here is what is and isn't 'fun.' Which is very relative, and there are a lot of different kinds. There's the thill and skill of a FPSer, there's the innocent joy of a Mario or Kirby platformer. There's the laughs you get out of Worms or Smash Brothers. There's the satisfaction of solving a puzzle.

There is also fun (for a group of people) in recreating, or changing history (Warriors games). Except the Western media don't realise that. They're too busy pretending the games are mindless button mashers.

AlexSays

theblackdragon wrote:

But what if "AlexSays from Nintendo Life" says the game is good? what then, hot-shot???

Well then it means something. I'm like Zelda to Waltz's Donkey Kong Country. Which to some is the same thing so it's cool.

Fortunately I tend to use my praise sparingly so it's usually when a game is so good everyone is on the same page. lol (i.e. the uncharted series for you PS3 pals).

AlexSays

Bankai

AlexSays wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

But what if "AlexSays from Nintendo Life" says the game is good? what then, hot-shot???

Well then it means something. I'm like Zelda to Waltz's Donkey Kong Country. Which to some is the same thing so it's cool.

Fortunately I tend to use my praise sparingly so it's usually when a game is so good everyone is on the same page. lol (i.e. the uncharted series for you PS3 pals).

Are you suggesting I'm too easy with my opinions of games? Huh? HUH?!!?!?!

I'ma no whore xthnx.

AlexSays

WaltzElf wrote:

I'ma no whore xthnx.

Hah. Please, I see the way you look at all those games.

YOU CAN'T HAVE FEELINGS FOR THEM ALL Y' KNOW

AlexSays

Stuffgamer1

@Waltz: For what it's worth, I agree with your point regarding reviews of the "Warriors" franchise. This is considering I don't like the games in the slightest myself. I have the sense, however, to realize that I'm simply not the target audience. It does tend to bug me when reviewers act as though that is impossible.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

Bankai

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

@Waltz: For what it's worth, I agree with your point regarding reviews of the "Warriors" franchise. This is considering I don't like the games in the slightest myself. I have the sense, however, to realize that I'm simply not the target audience. It does tend to bug me when reviewers act as though that is impossible.

Yeah, that's all I'm saying. No one will ever say that a Warriors game is anything but a niche game, but a reviewer should at least recognize that for people that find history is fun, that these are really, really good games, and that giving a game a 2/10 suggests that a reviewers believes his sense of 'fun' is superior, and is therefore being quite offensive.

Occasionally I see a good review that criticizes the games on their technical merits. I don't necessarily agree, but those reviewers make a good argument. Of course, they are also the ones that recognize there is an audience for these games, and give them 6 or 7/10

So, in conclusion, Warriors of Troy! Ohyesohyesohyes!

Edited on by Bankai

BedCommando

Warriors as in the Dynasty Warrior games, or that poor Rebellion developed "The Warriors" game?

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (OnLive)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (XBLA)

Lotice-Paladin

slapshot82 wrote:

@Starlight.... actually Ape Escape on PSN for this title is probably a great idea. Most PS3 owners have their systems connected to the internet, and buying the game for themselves and children will definitely happen. The game is really fun, and the on-rails gameplay is actually quite deep, and as always incredibly charming in perfect Ape Escape style.

Ape Escape 4 (PS3) is in the works as well!

I'm not denying it won't sell...but I wouldn't say everyone has their PS3 connected to the Internet (although it's increasing).

I liked the demos of those games but they never appealed to me (even when I was young myself), but I see the charm to it.

That's cool I guess....

I don't know why people care so much for reviews that slate a game for the right or wrong reasons, if you're going to buy it, just don't read the reviews, simple as.

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

Slapshot

I haven't played a full retail Dynasty Warriors since the PS3 era. I do get the fact that the games are great historically, but my main fault with what I played was the extreme repetition, and the lack of any apparent enemy AI. This was a PS2 era title, and I'm sure things have gotten significantly better, but even with what I considered to be a far better button-masher in Chaos Legion by Capcom, I still got bored with it's repetition as well just like I do with all of them.

Giving a game a 2/10 means a game is broken, and dang near unplayable. I've played demos of the Warriors titles, and have read many of the reviews as well, and I've never seen anything that should land in that scores range. Well except for that last demo that ran on the Warriors engine, some Japanese title that I'm not going to look up right now. It was horrible!

My two cents on the topic, but I will say this. I live in the West, and I've always been interested in Japanese/Feudal Chinese History, and I can't even follow the history of the Warriors games, and for most in our society the repetitive gameplay isn't enough to warrant a purchase for the differences in history lessons. You have to understand the history of the games to really understand how cool it is with what some of the games do in changing history, and the gameplay that is available isn't enough to draw interest in the West.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

slapshot82 wrote:

I haven't played a full retail Dynasty Warriors since the PS3 era. I do get the fact that the games are great historically, but my main fault with what I played was the extreme repetition, and the lack of any apparent enemy AI. This was a PS2 era title, and I'm sure things have gotten significantly better...

Haha, I wish.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.