Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Playstation 3 Fan Thread

Posts 2,021 to 2,040 of 9,907

Adam

The rental price is the same, yes, but even if the purchase price is lower than most DVDs, I still don't understand how you get the same value if it is stuck to a game console. But I don't buy movies anyway, so it's more a curiosity of mine than a concern.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Slapshot

@Waltz... that was based off an article that was wrote in Game Informer this month. Im not interested enough to go in depth on reading into it lol. Sorry, Im always sarcastic about EVERYTHING Political. The article went into some depths that it actually prob hurt the industry there and put games that should be 18+ barely toned down and in the 15+ range wich IMO isnt a really good thing.

@Odd.... man you should REALLY give your Wii some love and get Monster Hunter Tri, just with everything else you like to play I think you would really enjoy it. I dropped 26+ hrs into it over the weekend good lol.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

y2josh

Red Dead Redemption is awesome.

y2josh

Bankai

The article went into some depths that it actually prob hurt the industry there and put games that should be 18+ barely toned down and in the 15+ range wich IMO isnt a really good thing.

That's hurting Australian society, not the games industry. 99% of games still get released here, and 100% of Australian-developed games get released here. As I said, the industry itself has greater concerns, with funding and competing on an international stage, than being able to stick an 18+ sticker on the cover. That's just what consumers want, it's got nothing to do with the industry.

The rental price is the same, yes, but even if the purchase price is lower than most DVDs, I still don't understand how you get the same value if it is stuck to a game console. But I don't buy movies anyway, so it's more a curiosity of mine than a concern.

I take it you consider buying music over iTunes a waste too? I'm not overly concerned with sticking my media on a device (especially since Sony is proving pretty reliable in letting you transfer media from one console to another), and the ability to transfer to PSP for movies on the go is a bonus.

Additionally, anything that lets me save space is a good thing. I don't have room for more DVDs. Same benefit from buying a Kindle, really.

So in other words, yes, I will be using this OPTIONAL service.

Slapshot

@Waltz.... sorry I didnt type it clearly earlier. But I did mean the Game Industy in Australia, and not the Game Industry in general. It does little to none to the Game Industry but for gamers in Australia it does seem to be a low blow. We kinda have the same sort of case going into our Supreme Court here in the US that was filed by the Terminator himself Schwarzenegger, as I understand it. IMO Goverment is going to get into every little thing they can it seems, but that is just me.

Modnation Racers Demo was quite impressive, much better than the PSP demo. Looks like something to keep and eye on for sure. Im actually thinking about getting rid of some games Ive half played on PSP, DS, etc as I seriously have way too much to play. Trophies are a nonessential as now with the Wii, I seriously dont have time to worry about them anymore. MH Tri is a 200+ hr drop just in itself and I also got Tenchu, Resort and Muramassa as well. Good thing is 6 of the 7 PS3 games Ive got unopened are 10 hr games so Im thinking Im not buying anything else until prob Christmas at best, now that 3D Dot Hero is mine, Im seriously prob holding off for awhile on purchasing anything else.

@y2Josh... dude... keep us updated on that one. My brother preordered it and the reviews were Really Good. Game Informer netted it a 9.75/10!

Adam

WaltzElf wrote:

I take it you consider buying music over iTunes a waste too? I'm not overly concerned with sticking my media on a device (especially since Sony is proving pretty reliable in letting you transfer media from one console to another), and the ability to transfer to PSP for movies on the go is a bonus.

Additionally, anything that lets me save space is a good thing. I don't have room for more DVDs. Same benefit from buying a Kindle, really.

So in other words, yes, I will be using this OPTIONAL service.

I'm all for saving space and reducing physical waste, but it's not at all the same as iTunes. You can play music downloaded from iTunes on any music device. A movie you download on PS3 is stuck Playstation devices. Not only does that limit how you can view it at home, but it severely limits its portability.

Of course, you mentioned PSP. I didn't realize the PSP had the rental store. I'd see the value for PSP owners, though not as much for PS3. But I wonder if it'd be worth it given how long it must take to download a movie onto a PSP.

And again, I don't really buy movies anyway -- I prefer to get movies at the library or, worst case scenario, rent. I was just making chit chat. Last movie I bought was No Country for Old Men, I believe, and even that was the first one in awhile.

By the way, I'm not sure who you're shouting OPTIONAL in all caps at, but I know the service is optional -- what service isn't? They can't force you to use any service they offer. It's great, and I use it in lieu of rental stores now whenever there's a movie I want to see that my library doesn't have.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Bankai

@Waltz.... sorry I didnt type it clearly earlier. But I did mean the Game Industy in Australia, and not the Game Industry in general. It does little to none to the Game Industry but for gamers in Australia it does seem to be a low blow.

Again, that's consumers. The games industry is not the consumers, it's the developers, publishers, marketing, distributors etc etc. They're actually not much affected by the ratings system.

Of course, you mentioned PSP. I didn't realize the PSP had the rental store. I'd see the value for PSP owners, though not as much for PS3. But I wonder if it'd be worth it given how long it must take to download a movie onto a PSP.

You could also download to PS3, and transfer it to PSP.

By the way, I'm not sure who you're shouting OPTIONAL in all caps at, but I know the service is optional -- what service isn't? They can't force you to use any service they offer. It's great, and I use it in lieu of rental stores now whenever there's a movie I want to see that my library doesn't have.

I wasn't talking that to you. I will never understand why people get so upset about optional extras on consoles. Who cares if you (not you, Adam, but xxxx person) don't personally like a movie download service, or VidZone? Other people will, it's a great bonus. It's not like the movie download service will otherwise hurt your PS3.

Stuffgamer1

@WaltzElf: Some people are convinced that if someone is working on making these features available, then they're NOT working on other features that those people would rather have. Thus, any optional update releasing is seen to be a cause of delaying...say...cross-game voice chat. I figure Sony has enough employees that this most likely isn't really much of a problem, but you can't convince everyone of that.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

Sean007s

Guys,My Wii FC is in my Sig.
I'm gonna add people who has their Wii FC in their sig's too so please add me whenever you got time!
Thank you!
XD

Playstation Network ID:Sean007s
Wii Friend Code:8597 6921 2179 2755. Add me please..
Currently playing:Uncharted 2,Soul Caliber 4,ModernWarfare2,Final Fantasy XIII.
Excited for: Fallout New Vegas,Gran Turismo 5,CoD:Black Ops.

Stuffgamer1

I finally got to try 3D Dot Game Heroes tonight. I haven't had any trouble seeing stuff thus far, but even if I did, it'd only take a glance at the in-game map to see where paths were.

No, my problem is the bleeping Dash Circuit minigame. After half an hour of practice, the best I could do was 20.02 seconds. The goal is beating 20 seconds, mind. SO not right!

I learned today that failing a 20-second time trial over and over and over again for half an hour pisses me off WAAAAAAAY more than failing a 20-minute time trial roughly ten minutes in repeatedly. I'd have rather spent the time honing my skills for Eggmanland in Sonic Unleashed.

Edited on by Stuffgamer1

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Slapshot

@waltz... aye, how is Vidzone? I've tried downloading it but its region protected. The Japan video things are just strange lol. VidZone is one service id like to try. I myself like options. The movie deal for me is highly overpriced as I live on the outskirts of a large city and I can get BD for a few bucks more than the download prices. For some its great so no complaints from me.

@stuff... I got it in 18 I think, maybe wrong. Use theDPad. It helps, as well as you will get a upgrade later that will help.

@sean... ill add u tonight, I'm not posting my Wii Sig though lol.

Adam

Ah, yea, I knew you could transfer from PS3 to PSP, but that is asking a lot just to make the format sufficiently portable since not everyone with one system necessarily has the other.

Come on, friends,

Stuffgamer1

@Slappy: Of course I was using the D-pad. I didn't understand how to intentionally stop without crashing at the time, which I've read would help my time if done correctly. Given that I crashed twice when I got the 20.02 time, I'd say that's likely. Skip the crash animation=win! Hopefully...I still need to actually DO it.

@Adam: Methinks Sony wants to actively promote such to be the case, however. They seem to have Ubisoft's help in the matter, with their last two big titles both having PSP-PS3 connectivity of some sort (Assassin's Creed II with Bloodlines, and now Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands). Not that it would be at ALL surprising that a company wanted to make you buy more of its products, of course.

Edited on by Stuffgamer1

Sean007s

slapshot82 wrote:

@waltz... aye, how is Vidzone? I've tried downloading it but its region protected. The Japan video things are just strange lol. VidZone is one service id like to try. I myself like options. The movie deal for me is highly overpriced as I live on the outskirts of a large city and I can get BD for a few bucks more than the download prices. For some its great so no complaints from me.

@stuff... I got it in 18 I think, maybe wrong. Use theDPad. It helps, as well as you will get a upgrade later that will help.

@sean... ill add u tonight, I'm not posting my Wii Sig though lol.

Whats you're Wii FC?
Because we must add eachother....lol
Its crap that theres no invites on the Wii....

Playstation Network ID:Sean007s
Wii Friend Code:8597 6921 2179 2755. Add me please..
Currently playing:Uncharted 2,Soul Caliber 4,ModernWarfare2,Final Fantasy XIII.
Excited for: Fallout New Vegas,Gran Turismo 5,CoD:Black Ops.

Adam

Stuff, we were talking about reality, not about what Sony dreams when it goes to sleep. Most people don't own both, and if you only have a PS3, it seems inconvenient to own a movie on it is all I'm saying.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

odd69

Rocket Knights is an absolute badass 2D platformer. I am buying it and 3D dot game heroes on Friday. My time with the demo of Rocket Knights was awesome, they have tweaked it oh so perfect , enough that i will buy now instead of waiting for a price drop.It didn't blow my mind like Trine did , but i think its up there in awesomesauce. I just really love a good side scroll. There will be lots of Nostalgia for me between just these titles alone, plus i gave in and bought Megaman 10 ( on wii i wouldn't play it on any other machine) and i am trying to beat Neutopia 2. My head is spinning

@slapshot Monster Hunter is on my list of buy but its not on the top, unlike Red Dead Redemption..

my wii number: 8754-9981-5119-6538
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles number: 1290-4359-9435
PlayStationNetworkID: odd69

Slapshot

@odd.... I downloaded the demo, but haven't played it yet. I did play Modnation Racers and just wasn't very impressed. Controls felt off.

E3 is suppose to reveal all of the PSN Network Upgrades. So far the rumors I found that the guy claimed will beconfirmed is that...
One PSN game download access a month, with choices of around 4.
Cross Game Chat is coming but will be available for the Free Service as well.
PSN that's not paid for will Not loose anything that it has now.
Not much we didn't know but he did let it slip that it would pay for itself with the downloads so the $100 USD price is prob right for a year.

y2josh

@slapshot: well after about 5 hours of play i can say I absolutely love this game (RDD). The only things that get on my nerves are the turning of your horse while you are stopped or at a walking pace and then when you are hiding behind a rock its kind of weird shooting. Minor complaints i know. This game freaking rocks. I feel like a cowboy

y2josh

Adam

Played the Mod Nation demo. The track editor is definitely a million times better than LBP, but it still was a bit confusing. I tried to lay out a track, but my guy just went around in a loop as if on autopilot. I don't get it. I could raise the track and twist it and turn it after, but it was still just a short loop. Oh well.

The actual racing is better than Mario Kart Wii at least, but it still wasn't anything to write home about. I hate the controller layout. Hopefully that can be changed in the full version. X and R2 definitely need to be switched. I'd been planning to buy this, but I think I'll just rent it.

Come on, friends,

Pegasus

slapshot82 wrote:

@odd.... I downloaded the demo, but haven't played it yet. I did play Modnation Racers and just wasn't very impressed. Controls felt off.

Frankly, I still don't see why people say the game plays floaty or loose or some such. I have had no problems with it after a few minutes of play, after adjusting to it.

Oh, yes, Red Dead Redemption sure is a lot of fun. Definitely miles better than GTA. I do have GTA4, but, while it is fun at times, I never was too keen on that particular game either. It also helps that Red Dead's Western backdrop is just way more appealing to me. Seems like I spend a lot of time playing poker though, even if I tend to fritter my money away. Gotta find that cheating suit!

Mario Forever! (free nipple suit and gratuitous butt-shots included)
PSN: MisterMumbles82

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.