Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Playstation 3 Fan Thread

Posts 1,601 to 1,620 of 9,907

SilentJ

@slapshot
I think it stands for Other Operating System. You will no longer be able to install Linux to use the PS3 as a PC. I don't use the feature either so I'm unaffected by this.

PSN ID : MrPink78

Slapshot

@SilentJ..... lol, I forgot you could do that. I was like I know OS is Operating System but there is no Other Category ANYWHERE cause I checked lol. Oh, well, I guess this will be a fanboy outcry on the other side of things but oh well. I dont mess around with that kinda thing on my consoles at all. I use them to play games/ movies and music and that is it. Im unaffected by this one as well. I guess it sucks for those that do, Im guessing that this is somewhat got something to do with the people being able to hack into Modern Warfare 2 to exploit glitches? Ive read that it could be done and Im sure this is how they do it. If Im right on this one, then THANK YOU SONY! Im sick of cheaters!

Edited on by Slapshot

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Sean007s

slapshot82 wrote:

@Strofan.... sure Im good, Ive done all the levels on Veteran on the first 2 of 5 levels, so got a good bit left. lol.

@Sean.... What is the Other OS? Apparently I dont use it I guess.

You can install Linux on your PS3 basically.
Chances are if anyone has the internet,they have a desktop or laptop so just install it there.

Stupid internet.

Playstation Network ID:Sean007s
Wii Friend Code:8597 6921 2179 2755. Add me please..
Currently playing:Uncharted 2,Soul Caliber 4,ModernWarfare2,Final Fantasy XIII.
Excited for: Fallout New Vegas,Gran Turismo 5,CoD:Black Ops.

AlexSays

Okay everyone saying spec ops is really easy needs to come over to my place.

I'm great online and when it comes to the campaign and I swear half the spec ops are impossible.

AlexSays

Nintendork

Sean007s wrote:

slapshot82 wrote:

@Strofan.... sure Im good, Ive done all the levels on Veteran on the first 2 of 5 levels, so got a good bit left. lol.

Chances are if anyone has the internet,they have a desktop or laptop so just install it there.

Stupid internet.

.........says the one who was interested in installing it on his PS3

(okay, that thread was ages ago, but still............)

Edited on by Nintendork

That's why you're still a kid.
ADD ME ON PSN: xnintendorkx
Youtube account: xNintendorkx

Stuffgamer1

The security claims are BS, according to my PS3 techie friend...he's not at ALL happy about this. Honestly, I'm not too thrilled either...not because I use the feature (which I don't), but because it's a matter of principle. If they can make up stupid excuses to remove this, what's to stop them from removing something else that's more important down the line? That may turn out not to be a problem, but it IS a cause for concern.

That said, I'm not running around threatening to jump ship on Sony because of this, and I think people who are are taking this a little too seriously.

Also (and this is complicated, so I'm not going to try giving details here), there's a decent-ish chance that this is actually just a VERY poorly thought out April Fool's joke. We'll know for sure in a couple of days, I guess.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

Sean007s

Nintendork wrote:

Sean007s wrote:

slapshot82 wrote:

Stupid internet.

.........says the one who was interested in installing it on his PS3

(okay, that thread was ages ago, but still............)

Yes right after i found out from people here i could dual boot it on my laptop thus making other os useless for me^^
nice try lol

Edited on by Sean007s

AlexSays

A lot of people are saying the pirating claims are legit.

If they are then Sony has every right to take that feature away. Blame the people trying to exploit the system.

If people were finding out a way to steal from me, I'd stop them too.

AlexSays

Sean007s

HELP!!!

Can anyone help me in RE5?
I need money to fully upgrade all weapons...or something to sell so if you got anything spared over,any chance you can give some to me to sell?

I only need one more trophy in this game....
Thanks !

Slapshot

Well I'm now officially a Ps3 only current console man as I was about to get Perfect Dark for 360 and realized I had to renew my Live Subscription just ti play it online, one game online just isn't worth it so I said !"($ it and no more 360 lol. Thing has been collecting dust for nearly a year, cause.all my friends have PS3s so all my multiplatform games get bought on ps3, so I can play online with them. So I'm definately not jumping ship lol. I agree that features taken is never cool, but I'm sure Sony has a Dang good reason.

Stuffgamer1

I would prefer to believe that there's a good reason, and it IS true that a tiny minority of PS3 owners actually use the feature anyway. What's weird is how the removal of this feature has impacted non-gaming organizations...an impact that actually started when the Slim was launched without an Other OS option. Seems some organizations really do buy PS3's simply to use them as supercomputers, NSA among them (according to my dad, who works there). But now they can't buy more, 'cause Sony took that feature out.

Naturally, that point doesn't affect us gamers AT ALL, but it still kinda stinks.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

Sean007s

Sony is doing it because someone found out a way to hack the PS3.
After what happened with the PSP,you can damn well bet that Sony will do anything to protect it form happening to the PS3.

Apparently people can't get this simple 5 year old logic into their thick skulls.
If you want Linux,use a PC or a laptop.

If you have the internet,chances are you have a laptop or PC.
If you have a PS3,chances are you can afford a PC or low end laptop.

Its not intended to be an OS,its a media/gaming console.

Also yeah I agree Slapshot. I don't like LIVE's subscription fee,I'd rather buy a new game with the money. Just me of course. Live is cool but PSN is free...and for a free service...its damn good.

Percentful

/me is popping in again for another quick question.
Does the online work well on PS3? I don't really want to pay for Xbox live, but I don't want a 90% horrible online system like the Wii.

Just let it happen.

3DS Friend Code: 5026-4947-0924 | Nintendo Network ID: Percentful

AlexSays

Online works great

It's basically XBOX Live but missing one or two features.

It's nowhere close to being as bad as the Wii's online. I only use that with friends and relatives.

AlexSays

Percentful

AlexSays wrote:

Online works great

It's basically XBOX Live but missing one or two features.

It's nowhere close to being as bad as the Wii's online. I only use that with friends and relatives.

I don't care so much about messaging and profiles, I really care about gameplay online.

Just let it happen.

3DS Friend Code: 5026-4947-0924 | Nintendo Network ID: Percentful

Slapshot

@110...It works really well. I've put over 200 hours into modern warfare 2 and every now and then u will get some lag before it finds a new host, and rarely it will lag a game out, but that is usually the host glitching. It's Dang good and considering its free its great. I bought a 8 dollar PSN and the online is great, I've never seen any lag at all in Burnout, Bioshock 2, Dirt 2. So yeah, its good.

AlexSays

Yeah the gameplay online is the exact same.

Just like with Xbox Live there's a few problems every now and then but most of the time it works great.

AlexSays

Slapshot

So there has been very little talk here on Bioshock 2, and I kinda hit or missed it after picking up Dirt 2 and playing Ratchet and Clank, but I had been dabbling in multiplayer a good bit. I finally have dropped a big chunk of time in the Single Player game and man am I glad I did. To say this game takes off, it freakin starts blazing. Its really hard to explain but it just becomes so incredibly fun about 5-6 hours into it its crazy. Its fast and frantic and your weapons and powers become so powerful to deal with the masses of powerful enemies. I read of few reviews that said they thought it was better than the first and in some aspects it really is. Its incredible. I highly recommend you guys at least giving it a rental.

... Oh the multiplayer is REALLY hard at first, but once you drop in some time and start acquiring better weapons and powers and can well lets say.... Electric Shock and Enemy at Distace, then shoot a arrow into him (high damage, slow reload), and then shock again to continue stun, swap to secondary weapon, my favorite is the high fire rate nail gun and blast some more lead into them to finish them off..... it gets Really fun and well worth dropping some time into.

Sean007s

Cannot wait for the new update!!!
I am hoping it gives us back the 10GB partion of the Other OS as I plan on downloading some PSN games very soon.

It'd be a sick sick joke if it were an aprils fools. lol

Sean007s

Update is LIVE.

HELL YEAH!!!!
ALLAY YOULIA

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.