Other Gaming Forum

Topic: The OUYA – A New $99 Open Game Console

Showing 81 to 100 of 246

AuthorMessage

Slapshot

81. Posted:

So, I bought mine. Couldn't resist. :D

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

Twitter: Slapshot82

AuthorMessage

sykotek

82. Posted:

L4DYB4NSH33 wrote:

Kinda like the Phantom Game System back in 2004- so many people invested in it, and the folks kinda ran away with the money...

Actually, I'm not saying Ouya will do that, I think that's a highly unlikely scenario. I'm saying that people should gauge their expectations back a bit and understand that even if the software/content delivery side of this could end up being a bust, less than $100 for the hardware itself isn't going to be a bad buy provided they produce enough of it to go around...the hacker/modder/enthusiast community would definitely help developing something good and workable out of it...just look at what was done for Viewsonic's gTablet and the HP TouchPad...both were abandoned by their respective companies and have teams of enthusiasts working on them to make sure they have been continually updated since.

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

AuthorMessage

RancidVomit86

83. Posted:

Yea after some research it was found the guy behind the Phantom had done that with several made up companies and ripped people off for millions. But this has more legit names behind it.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

84. Posted:

Oh, I'm just kinda explaining the scenario you brought up. I'm confident in Ouya. I already placed an order last night. If this goes in the way of the Dreamcast (which there's some eery similarities in that this sounds like something far ahead of it's time for some reason), I expect it to still be supported underground especially it's open ness just as there are still games continually being made for the Dreamcast. My huge concern is piracy and hackers cheating online. I sent an email asking if there will be preventive measures to prevent malicious hackers from ruining the potential online experience in the games hitting the console.

I'm not liking how editors/journalists are marking this the killer for the big 3 companies. Far from it. It's just complete bias and Fandroids getting excited thinking this will mark the end of all gaming consoles from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo- just as they've been claiming and chanting for the past few years. And frankly, that's not what Ouya is about.

People also believe Ouya will just have ports of Android games. Not necessarily true- even on kickstarter they want and are planning games to created to make proper use of the consoles capabilities. It sounds to me developers who want to have their smartphone games on Ouya will have to manually port their games over to accomodate the console's offerings- such as 3rd Person Shooters on Android phones needing to be able to be used with the Ouya controller, for example.

It sounds like indie heaven more than anything else... I'm looking forward to my Ouya. But piracy of games and malicious hackers are what's concerning me. I don't want to make a game for majority of people to just "Steal" it. Time is money. I got bills to pay. As does every game developer out there. But I guess that part of the gaming community just doesn't care and rather be selfish than supportive.

Of course, you can't really stop it from happening especially since Android is sooo open. And I'm guessing that's one of the reasons why people adore Android over iOS- get "free" games.

Edited on by komicturtle

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

sykotek

85. Posted:

I don't want to be confusing and clearly some users are very confused about this, so I'll make it very simple to understand.

Think of Ouya as you would think of a computer with Steam as the only program. Ouya has a hardware side and is also poised to have a DRM/content delivery side. It is running Android OS because it is likely the best suited OS to use with the cheap mobile phone hardware in the box. There likely won't be any sort of rampant cheating or piracy going on because individual setups will need to dial home and authenticate with Ouya's servers.

@L4DYB4NSH33: I'm sure there are many reasons people are more and more choosing to go with Android devices, but it may interest you to know that in actuality, pirating apps is far easier to do on iOS than on Android. It is the continued programming and retooling of apps and fixing glitches for various device configurations and the time and costs associated with doing those things that truly bother iOS to Android developers, but that's definitely the less popular truth of the matter. Ouya, with its standard set of hardware, could attract a lot of the lazier iOS developers to develop exclusively for Ouya which can be a very good thing if there are enough hardware adopters.

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

86. Posted:

Cmon people were better than Uso.g terms like fandroids. This look like macrumors to you.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

pixelman

87. Posted:

$4 million. There's a lot of skepticism going around (Pandora creator is extremely skeptical), but man does this thing look really, really nice. I love the UI and the controller. I really hope it all comes together.

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: pixelpowa

AuthorMessage

FOREST_RANGER

88. Posted:

Quick! Someone let @ImDiggerDan know! :O

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

89. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

Cmon people were better than Uso.g terms like fandroids. This look like macrumors to you.

I think I struck a nerve.

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

bezerker99

90. Posted:

I haven't donated any money yet (broke as a joke atm) but I'm def on board with this OUYA gaming console!! :D

"And [Sting!!!], I'm not coming to show YOU or anyone else who the better wrestler is. I'm coming...to hurt you...for real...for a long, looong time. WOOOOO!!!" - 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair
AC:NL Dream Address: 4400-2611-9546
My Bird Mania Christmas 3D review

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2506-5820 | Nintendo Network ID: bezerker99 | Twitter: bezerker99

AuthorMessage

JohnDoe123

91. Posted:

It seems they're trying to bring mobile gamers back to consoles. Which it doesn't look like it's doing. But we'll have to wait and see.

JohnDoe123

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0286-9394

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

92. Posted:

Top 20 requested games:
Assassin's Creed
Bastion
Battlefield
Battletoads
Call of Duty
Dungeon Defenders
Fez
FIFA
Final Fantasy
Grand Theft Auto
League of Legends
Limbo
Mass Effect
Minecraft
Need for Speed
Skyrim
Super Meat Boy
Terraria
Timesplitters
Torchlight

They should have put another 20 "honorary mentions".. I want to see Space Channel 5 and Sonic on this at least. And how about Power Stone Collection D:

I'm curious to hear on what they're planning to do with the rest of the money. They're at $4.2 mil right now...

This console needs a killer app. I don't think the Xbox would be around today if it weren't for Halo, as that game really lured people into that console. Wonder how they are going to handle "1st party content" which is something they want to invest in according to their kick starter page.

Edited on by komicturtle

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

Bankai

93. Posted:

L4DYB4NSH33 wrote:

Top 20 requested games:
Assassin's Creed
Bastion
Battlefield
Battletoads
Call of Duty
Dungeon Defenders
Fez
FIFA
Final Fantasy
Grand Theft Auto
League of Legends
Limbo
Mass Effect
Minecraft
Need for Speed
Skyrim
Super Meat Boy
Terraria
Timesplitters
Torchlight

People are going to be seriously disappointed with this console with those kinds of wish lists.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

VincentV

94. Posted:

LollipopChoSaw wrote:

L4DYB4NSH33 wrote:

Top 20 requested games:
Assassin's Creed
Bastion
Battlefield
Battletoads
Call of Duty
Dungeon Defenders
Fez
FIFA
Final Fantasy
Grand Theft Auto
League of Legends
Limbo
Mass Effect
Minecraft
Need for Speed
Skyrim
Super Meat Boy
Terraria
Timesplitters
Torchlight

[/div]

People are going to be seriously disappointed with this console with those kinds of wish lists.

Exactly. Looks like an Xbox 360 game list. I almost expected to see Halo 4 on the list. Only some of the indie games on that list are likely to make it to the Ouya.

iPhone 6: 2% thinner, 5% more battery life, 18% more expensive* (with inflation taken into account), 2 months newer, & handmade by Chinese slave labor in undisclosed location!

AWESOME IDEA

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1229-3077 | Nintendo Network ID: Vincent294

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

95. Posted:

Wholeheartedly agree on that lol

Some are feasible such as Terraria, Fez, Limbo and Torchlight... But Final Fantasy? Battlefield? Time Splitters? Fat chance.

Maybe SE will port Final Fantasy 3 from the Google Play Store, but that's about it.

Edited on by komicturtle

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

iphys

96. Posted:

Even though they got more money than their goal, they don't really have a lot of extra money. Most of the people that backed were basically just paying for the system, so almost all the extra money is going to go into making those extra systems and controllers and paying to ship them.

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

AuthorMessage

odd69

97. Posted:

Ill buy it when its released, like for sure, but not buying it through kickstarter

my wii number: 8754-9981-5119-6538
http://oddsreviewsandthoughts.blogspot.com/
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles number: 1290-4359-9435
PlayStationNetworkID: odd69

AuthorMessage

Wheels2050

98. Posted:

iphys wrote:

Even though they got more money than their goal, they don't really have a lot of extra money. Most of the people that backed were basically just paying for the system, so almost all the extra money is going to go into making those extra systems and controllers and paying to ship them.

Yeah I don't see why people keep thinking they've got tons of money left over. I don't know how much profit (if any) they're making on each unit - assuming that the Ouya ever gets made at all - but if they're serious about it it will be priced pretty aggressively to increase market penetration. (They make a fair bit from software sales).

As for the wishlist, well people seem to be missing the point of the console. CoD? Skyrim? Seriously? Any glance through the list of Humble Indie Bundles or the Steam Indie category would easily be able to fill out a Top 20 list with decent games.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

99. Posted:

Brahs its running android which has onlive which can run console games.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

19Robb92

100. Posted:

Sounds kind of crappy to me.

Looking forward to: Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92