Other Gaming Forum

Topic: The OUYA – A New $99 Open Game Console

Showing 61 to 80 of 246

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

61. Posted:

They're changing things here and there from what I'm seeing... Anything noticed how 1337 spells out "leet"...? And it's targeted for people looking to work on games...

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

sykotek

62. Posted:

TwilightPoint wrote:

If it truly is open-source why do they need to send out SDK's?

Don't get me wrong, I don't know everything there is to know about all of this, but this is my interpretation of it, so I could be wrong. Android OS is open source and is an offshoot of Linux. The SDK in question is probably needed to help developer apps to be able to interact more cleanly with Ouya's overlay and at least partially due to the fact that Ouya is using Nvidia's Tegra 3 chip. From what I have gathered, Nvidia is generally unwilling to provide information to the open source community. Without the SDK, those who would be interested in programming with Tegra 3 in mind would likely need to reverse engineer the chip.

In other news, I just finished GTA3 100% on my Android tablet using my PS3 controller and something like the Ouya would've definitely made things a lot easier for the majority of Android users judging by the less than glowing reviews others had left about GTA3 on Google's Play Store.

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

AuthorMessage

pixelman

63. Posted:

Wow. $2.7 million. It raised almost another million while I was sleeping. o___o

@Usagi-san Android dev seems kind of weird. I think some Java is required, but if you jump through some hoops you can use C++ too.

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: thatpixelguy

AuthorMessage

JustAnotherUser

64. Posted:

sykotek wrote:

TwilightPoint wrote:

If it truly is open-source why do they need to send out SDK's?

[/div]

Don't get me wrong, I don't know everything there is to know about all of this, but this is my interpretation of it, so I could be wrong. Android OS is open source and is an offshoot of Linux. The SDK in question is probably needed to help developer apps to be able to interact more cleanly with Ouya's overlay and at least partially due to the fact that Ouya is using Nvidia's Tegra 3 chip. From what I have gathered, Nvidia is generally unwilling to provide information to the open source community. Without the SDK, those who would be interested in programming with Tegra 3 in mind would likely need to reverse engineer the chip.

That is very true.
Nvidia are awful when it comes to the Open Source community.
At least it's not sporting a chip that has optimus technology. shudders

JustAnotherUser

AuthorMessage

NintyEShopper

65. Posted:

I saw Minecraft... will the final console have Minecraft? :D

RAINBOW DASH IS BEST PONY

AuthorMessage

pixelman

66. Posted:

If it's successful (lol) then Mojang said they "could see all of their games" on it.

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: thatpixelguy

AuthorMessage

Wheels2050

67. Posted:

@Ninty: Possibly, possibly not. Mojang has supported it with a nebulous commitment:

"Mojang has committed that Minecraft (and their other games) will be on OUYA — but only if we prove that we can make a great product (that’s our job) AND enough people want their games (that’s your job). Show them with your numbers that you want Minecraft on OUYA!"

Note that 'enough people' isn't defined and it's not clear how they 'prove that we can make a great product'.

Like I've said before, I really don't want to see people's money go to waste but I'm not confident that the Ouya people have the ability to manufacture a mass-market console. Julie Uhrman seems to have only ever dealt with software, and Yves Behar is a designer but I don't know if he's been involved with manufacturing. That doesn't instil me with confidence! We'll have to wait and see, I guess. I really see it making more of an impact in the gadget market than the games market.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

AuthorMessage

pixelman

68. Posted:

$3 million. Looks like it's on track to surpass 4x its goal today. I wonder what they're going to do with all of this money, haha.

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

69. Posted:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

I don't want to buy something that looks potentially good only for it to be like the Phantom, the N-Gage, Apple Pippin, R-Zone, or Gizmondo.

Wheels2050 wrote:

I really don't want to see people's money go to waste but I'm not confident that the Ouya people have the ability to manufacture a mass-market console.

You guys shouldn't be so nervous about taking risks with new consoles. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft were all new to console gaming at one point. Besides right now you can pledge $99 if you wanted to get an Ouya. That's not a huge risk for a gaming console. I spent that much money preordering Epic Mickey and Metroid Other M in 2010.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

Wheels2050

70. Posted:

But that's 3 success stories out of how many?

Plus, Nintendo and Sony both had prior manufacturing experience. I don't see that anywhere with the Ouya group - not to mention they don't even have an official website. I really just think they might be in over their head.

This was an interesting read:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/IanFisch/20120711/173901/OUYA_...

I don't agree with everything said, but a lot of good points are made.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

AuthorMessage

Reala

71. Posted:

Just filled in the what kind of games do you want to see survey, hope someone listens to the 2D scrolling beat'em suggestion more Streets of Rage/Golden Axe type games would be nice.

there's nothing that's certain... of that you can be certain

AuthorMessage

MakeMyBiscuit

72. Posted:

Finally a system for hackers!

Now they all can play online co-op and hack into each others accounts and use cheat codes all day. They can finally leave my console gaming alone...in theory anyways.

MakeMyBiscuit

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

73. Posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/11/editorial-ouyas-success/

Editorial on ouyam

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

74. Posted:

They should graciously donate the money they don't need to me :*

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

Supereor

75. Posted:

The more I read, the more... "unsettled" I get. I want to support, but how they are acting as if it's going to be the best console ever is keeping me from doing anything, and they are also acting as if there is no such thing as a handheld. Put a cheap price on it, the feeling of affordability is lowered when you consider a single controller costs $30. OUYA doesn't feel revolutionary, it feels like a "not half-bad" idea from a retro gamer, IMO, of course.

Edited on by Supereor

This signature is an awful waste of time

AuthorMessage

Magi

76. Posted:

LztheBlehBird wrote:

pixelman wrote:

Bobhobob wrote:

Where may I purchase one of these one of these wondrous machines?

In 2013.

Is 2013 a place?

I've visited it. Was nothing special.

Currently own: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, iPad, PC's, WP7 Phone and a Vita. Who you callin' a fanboy?!
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" -The Joker

AuthorMessage

Slapshot

77. Posted:

This is just brilliant! I'm seriously thinking about going ahead and purchasing it through Kickstarter. :)

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

Twitter: Slapshot82

AuthorMessage

sykotek

78. Posted:

I've not pledged because I don't need something like this and I'm not too keen on Kickstarter, but I've been reading a lot that this could potentially be a real Kickstarter killer. With the overwhelming demand being shown by those pledging, if the people running don't deliver...and I'm not talking about hardware, but delivery on expectations, it could really kill support for future Kickstarters.

Just something to keep in mind for many of you who are pledging...manage your expectations and try not have inflated ideas about this beyond being anything except cheap hardware. I own a gTab, rest assured if there are enough Ouya units released, there will definitely be support from the hacker/modder/enthusiast community that will last regardless of whether the proposed service will be there to back it up or not...that's the real beauty of this program.

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

AuthorMessage

the_shpydar

79. Posted:

I'll wait to see (1) if this thing ever actually gets made , (2) it ever actually gets released , (3) it withstands the potential legal challenges it may face, (4) it gets support that goes beyond enthusiastic tweets from indie developers who's stuff is already available on PC, and (5) is actually even halfway worthwile.

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 21 Copies. 2 Sealed, 6 CIB, 3 Boxed, 10 Loose.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

80. Posted:

sykotek wrote:

I've not pledged because I don't need something like this and I'm not too keen on Kickstarter, but I've been reading a lot that this could potentially be a real Kickstarter killer. With the overwhelming demand being shown by those pledging, if the people running don't deliver...and I'm not talking about hardware, but delivery on expectations, it could really kill support for future Kickstarters.

Just something to keep in mind for many of you who are pledging...manage your expectations and try not have inflated ideas about this beyond being anything except cheap hardware. I own a gTab, rest assured if there are enough Ouya units released, there will definitely be support from the hacker/modder/enthusiast community that will last regardless of whether the proposed service will be there to back it up or not...that's the real beauty of this program.

Kinda like the Phantom Game System back in 2004- so many people invested in it, and the folks kinda ran away with the money...

komicturtle