Topic: The OUYA – A New $99 Open Game Console

Showing 121 to 140 of 246

AuthorMessage

AlexSays

121. Posted:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

LztheBlehBird wrote:

I'm not familiar with these kinds of consoles. I'll stick with 3DS and eventually Wii U :)

[/div]

That's probably a good idea. The key is to remain unfamiliar so as to refrain from developing new interests.

The key is to remain familiar so you know your money is well spent.

I think you missed my point.

It's not like you are required to purchase something just because you gave it some thought. You could.. you know, wait till its actually released and make an informed decision, opposed to writing it off a year before its release because you don't know much about it.

Reminds me of people that decide who they're voting for months and months before an election, without knowing much about the candidates. Those people are annoying.

AlexSays

AuthorMessage

FOREST_RANGER

122. Posted:

@AlexSays It's not like he's making an oath to never purchase it. Perhaps he has limited funds and doesn't seem compelled to buy when he could stick with the company we have known forever.

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage

AlexSays

123. Posted:

bobbiKat wrote:

@AlexSays It's not like he's making an oath to never purchase it. Perhaps he has limited funds and doesn't seem compelled to buy when he could stick with the company we have known forever.

He already knows his financial situation over a year from now? Wow that's amazing!

That makes so much more sense than him just writing it off because it's not a Nintendo console!

Edit: And if $99 is too much for a product, no matter how great it may be, you need to pick a cheaper hobby. That's not a lot of money. Unless you're like 15, in which case I'm not worried about broadcasting my point anyway.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage

FOREST_RANGER

124. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

He already knows his financial situation over a year from now? Wow that's amazing!

That makes so much more sense than him just writing it off because it's not a Nintendo console!

[/div]

Or maybe he doesn't feel like funding $100 to a start-up that existed like a year ago whose project could possibly go horribly wrong :P

EDIT IN RESPONSE TO OTHER EDIT ABOVE: And if the project bombs, crowdfunders may not be able to get their consoles and end up wasting their money. Lz doesn't know who this group is, so why would he want to spend money on a company he doesn't know? Your point would make more sense if he was talking about the PS360 instead of the OUYA console.

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

AuthorMessage

AlexSays

125. Posted:

bobbiKat wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

[/div]

Or maybe he doesn't feel like funding $100 to a start-up that existed like a year ago whose project could possibly go horribly wrong :P

Who's telling him to donate?

It's like my posts are on a different wavelength. The entire point was that it makes no sense to completely dismiss something just because you don't know anything about it.

Apply this to politics. If he said, "Well I'm unfamiliar with candidate X so I'll just stick with candidate Y" it would have looked horrible. Now apply it back to consumer products. It looks just as naive.

Edit in response to edit about my edit: They already have enough money. I'm talking about when it's released. I'm not in the business of donating money to people either.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage

FOREST_RANGER

126. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

It's like my posts are on a different wavelength. The entire point was that it makes no sense to completely dismiss something just because you don't know anything about it.

I read the gaming forums with the mentality that most posts are posted in a conversational tone, meaning that I take some posts with a grain of salt depending on the situation. If one treats the forums like how they treat an academic paper, he or she is bound to have some problems (I don't mean you :3 ). I honestly don't think Lz completely dismisses the project. He may be saying that he's not interested, but I wouldn't be surprised if it won his heart in the future.

EDIT: Just to be empathetic of your viewpoint, he could be reinforcing the mentality that Nintendo is superior, anthropologically speaking :3

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

127. Posted:

even if lz was completely and totally dead-serious making up his mind right now and never changing it ever in the future (which, considering he's not an idiot, he's probably not doing lol) why does it matter to you if he chooses to do so? it's his loss, and this thing seems to have quite a bit of support without him.

more power to everyone who's jazzed for the thing, but i'm just not interested either, i'm afraid. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

Odnetnin

128. Posted:

Before @Sony_70 posts this: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/13/3157140/ouya-faces-c...

Thanks for introducing me to The Verge, btw, it's my favorite tech site.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage

AlexSays

129. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

why does it matter to you if he chooses to do so?

For perhaps the millionth time

I'm merely pointing out how naive it is to dismiss a product for the reason: I don't know anything about it.

There are plenty of great reasons. That's a stupid reason. With that said, I'm also able to point these things out without caring on a personal level. So I know people think I lose sleep over this site, but honestly I am perfectly okay.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage

FOREST_RANGER

130. Posted:

I'm merely pointing out how naive it is to dismiss a product for the reason: I don't know anything about it.

But you are pointing it out for a reason. If it isn't a big deal, you could just get straight to the point :3

EDIT: But then again, you do like to toy with naive fans :P

AuthorMessage

AlexSays

131. Posted:

If I need a well thought out syllogism each time I point out someone's naivety on this site, I may fly through keyboards faster than Lohan goes through liquor bottles. lol

And I do prefer the subtle sarcastic route, opposed to coming right out with it..

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage

Slapshot

132. Posted:

For those of you who care about Ouya and would like to read a fantastic industry piece about it, I think you'll enjoy this a much as I did:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/11/editorial-ouyas-success/

Just to clarify what a few things, Ouya is not aimed to bring the likes of EA and Activision into the system, Ouya is a system for small indie developers to self publish their games onto it without the headaches of dealing with the likes of the IP stealing publishers. The system is being built to modd/hack on a software and hardware level. While this might seem risky at first, the game's can only be sold through the system's UI (i.e. online storefront), and this means that every console is a developer's box and modders can freely make their purchased games into whatever they desire — many of which will likely be picked up by the developers and brought into the game as official DLC.

I'm going to contact some of my indie developer friends this weekend and see what their takes are on Ouya. Right now, Mojang (Minecraft) and a few other large indies are already on board, and I have no doubt that others will too. While Nintendo's smart business strategy to stick with cheaper, lower end technology to develop their games on ensure that they'll stay profitable, Microsoft and Sony are treading on shaky ground if they step into high-end next generation consoles in the near future. Development cost are becoming absurd and games can barely turn a profit anymore to satiate these console only gamers constant need for better everything.

There's a market for this kind of console right now. Titles like VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy, Cave Story, Braid, etc. are the types of titles that Ouya is trying to promote. And before someone says: "Those games are already available on other systems," it the types of games that Ouya is promoting. A place for new titles to shine on. Of course it will have its challenges — abundance of shovelware is guaranteed — but in my opinion, if it only get ten great games that I enjoy, then I'll be happy with my money being spend to fund Ouya.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

Twitter: Slapshot82

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

133. Posted:

TinyOddy wrote:

Before @Sony_70 posts this: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/13/3157140/ouya-faces-c...

Thanks for introducing me to The Verge, btw, it's my favorite tech site.

Reading it right now lol. and The Vegre/Polygon has been killing it on all fronts.

I'm getting a better idea of what excatly this console's goal is. Its not Free as in all games are free, but free to try like XBLA demos. Another thing is even though people are saying the Tegra 3 chipset is under powered compared to intel based stuff it really isn't. Your not getting AAA graphics but your getting a nice amount of power for relatively low budget cost. Look at Shadowgun or NOVA3 and those are pretty good looking.

I do agree with the point that Android isn't that big of a money maker, but I blame that squarely on developer suppot. I hear bigger developers such as EA,Gameloft, and rovio make a decent amount of cash from Android. The problem is the smaller indie dev's all look toward to the golden ios pie in the sky and aim for that instead of trying to develop for less mature platforms where the barrier to suceess is much lower than ios is (Android,WP). For every Hero Academy and Superbrothers their is a indie game on ios that goes unheard. With bigger publishers looking to ios for their games it would make more sense for indie devs to start to target mutiple platforms to not get overshadowed.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

Koos

134. Posted:

http://blog.thirdyearmba.com/why-ouya-is-too-good-to-be-true

Koos

AuthorMessage

Mandoble

135. Posted:

@Koos, against Dana's forecasting I would say that one key factor for its success is that it seems that OUYA is passionate project where many are working for it as a hobby, in fact, working for free as well. Dana might have a point about building cost, but I disagree with the rest, it doesnt even need any large marketing investment, they have been in the technology sections of all international press for free and they have a noticeable pressence in most gaming forums all around the world, and they'll have two giants behind: Google and Nvidia.

Edited on by Mandoble

Mandoble

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

136. Posted:

That editorial is horrible. Tim isn't a good writer and has broken several rules in journalism. I already read that last week and I'm not impressed lol

It's one thing to be excited for Ouya and how it makes it easier for indies to get their games on the big screen. It's another to say "The big 3 are in trouble", essentially. And Ouya isn't a success because it's not even out yet. The Kickstarter, sure, it's a success. But there's still a long bumpy road to go to get this thing out.

Seems to me a lot of people who are super-overly excited for this are the ones who play games casually on their smartphones. Even though one can point out the list of most wanted games to combat- my point still stands when you have a horde of people on Engadget with their mouth watering for this system and a handful claim "3DS is a bust" and "Home consoles are dead".

Being a pledger myself, I hope this thing takes off. But I don't think it's trying to take a shot at the big 3 like these "Tech Enthusiasts" are claiming.

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

Bankai

137. Posted:

lol - the thing has almost hit $5 million in funding.

What these nitwit wannabe "analysts" and "journalists" fail to understand is that a Kickstarter campaign that hits $5 million is a hell of a proof of concept. It takes a rudimentary understanding of how markets work to understand that, I know, but when there's demand for a product, it usually finds success. Kickstarter is a limited marketing tool, and it's already seen 40,000 backers.

Who the heck cares how limited the project is, or whether it's making the developers money? The appetite in the market is there for this. It has every chance of being successful.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

Wheels2050

138. Posted:

@L4DYB4NSH33: I'm just bewildered by the number of people who keep saying something along the lines of "finally, this'll stick it to the Big 3!". The PC has always been a platform where independent developers can create and release games on their own terms. Sure, consoles and PCs inhabit perhaps slightly different (but increasingly overlapping) spaces, but it's now easier than ever to hook up a cheap PC to a TV and do exactly what the Ouya promises (and without someone else taking a 30% cut of your asking price). I just don't see why many people excited about Ouya - and the Ouya company themselves - refuse to even acknowledge the existence of the PC gaming scene.

Now, the prospect of a machine for only $99 is certainly appealing, but I've got (already voiced) concerns about whether or not it will even get made. I think the silence from the Ouya makers is currently pretty damning, as there has been very little communication with the public regarding the device. They need to step up their game pretty quickly I think. Pledges for the Kickstarter have been pretty much stalled since the first 2 days, and I think many are waiting for some sort of reasonable communication to allay a lot of reasonable concerns before more money is committed. I wouldn't consider 38,000 backers a resounding success.

EDIT: @Waltz (you replied while I was typing): I completely agree that this shows that people are enthusiastic about this type of thing. I just don't think it necessarily has 'ever chance of success' based on the information we currently have.

Edited on by Wheels2050

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

AuthorMessage

Bankai

139. Posted:

Pledges for the Kickstarter have been pretty much stalled since the first 2 days

Pledges for just about every Kickstarter project slow down once the target is hit. Means nothing.

I just don't think it necessarily has 'ever chance of success' based on the information we currently have.

All I've seen is criticism based on the cost of producing the thing. We don't know how it's being produced, but the pedigree behind the project is enough that I rather thin we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

Wheels2050

140. Posted:

LollipopChoSaw wrote:

Pledges for the Kickstarter have been pretty much stalled since the first 2 days

Pledges for just about every Kickstarter project slow down once the target is hit. Means nothing.

I just don't think it necessarily has 'ever chance of success' based on the information we currently have.

All I've seen is criticism based on the cost of producing the thing. We don't know how it's being produced, but the pedigree behind the project is enough that I rather thin we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

The drop has been more dramatic than many other projects though. Of course, there's another month yet - with some more media coverage and more updates things will surely pick up again, but I thought there would be a longer tail on the initial pledges.

As for manufacturing, it's hard to tell. They may have experts behind the scenes who have things under control. It would just be nice for them to communicate more with the public regarding these sorts of things - I'm sure it would help maintain momentum.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.