Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 941 to 960 of 1,570

Joeynator3000

I still say Capcom is stupidly waiting till World's release to localize MHXX.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Grumblevolcano

It could be that Capcom waits to see how well World does then dependent on the outcome they choose a different path:

• If World does well then MHXX isn't localized and MH's future is PS4/XB1/PC
  • If World doesn't do well then MHXX is localized and more MH games come to Switch

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Even if World does well, they'd be throwing away 4 million sales per release by abandoning the portable market, which I find no logic to whatsoever.

Especially with 2 teams. The ROI from the portable entries will rival even that of World, maybe even surpass.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

meleebrawler

Monster Hunter just goes to whatever console is more successful/appropriate at the time. Tri for the Wii, P3rd for PSP (power constraints). We might have gotten 3U and the 4th gen on the Vita if it had sold better (and they certainly had no problem representing the latter in a game not currently on Nintendo systems). And if the Switch hadn't taken off the way it did, we probably wouldn't have a XX port at all. At this point the only real reason for no localization is likely simply fearing a negative response from western fans for rereleasing too much. Capcom seems intent on moving away from this "expansion sequel" model in favour of expanding a base with DLC, as seen with Street Fighter V. The fact that home console power leaps are slowing is likely also seen as an opportunity to recapture and nurture an audience of the series there, but going by this pattern they are unlikely to ignore the Switch either.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Haru17

That interview explains a lot of my experiences with Monster Hunter. To a certain extent I feel like it was a really unique series seeking a development budget up until World. I mean those short dev cycle fourth gen games were really apparent to end users when hunting the Freedom Unite monsters. And mounting was kinda lame compared to what I thought it would be, hopefully it's more engaging in World (at least they removed the stupid cut to black).

The 'bought' games, Tri and World, have been respectively the most enjoyable and promising to me so far. It's just so important that these levels have unique care put into them. I can tell you exactly where the nests of Anjanath, Great Jagras, Pukei-Pukei, Rathalos, and Tobi-Kadachi are in the Ancient Forest and those areas' unique characteristics relate to those monsters.

I really hope the games following World don't lose that like the ones following Tri. I mean 3U just sucked when they took Barroth out of the desert and put it in the Deserted Island to charge through that narrow cave tunnel it clearly wasn't designed for. And then 4 didn't have any sense of place whatsoever, every monster was just in every area to the point where they might have just been walking around in sterile boxy white levels.

But yeah, just like before I expect World's content to make its way onto Switch somehow just like Barroth and Uragaan aren't prohibited from being in World. I hope the new Switch games will have longer dev cycles and be made with the attention to detail that the console entries have rather than being considered a portable game where people won't pay attention to the details. The biggest reason I could see Capcom not releasing XX Switch in the west is that the port's graphics were never meant to release worldwide, as it looks much worse than other remasters. I don't think we'll know for sure until the months after World's release though. I really think Monster Hunter: World's areas and monsters would work on Switch if they're not totally prohibited from migrating (and I don't think Capcom would have agreed to a deal like that in the first place considering how much they reuse animations and monsters).

JaxonH wrote:

Before going on, this is WAY off topic for this thread, which is about MH World.

Yeah, it might pay to create a 'MH 5th Gen for Switch' thread like I made the World thread when its discussion was clogging up the XX one.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CrazedCavalier

@meleebrawler The thing is, reports said that Capcom themselves requested the Switch's RAM be upped. And there's stuff like the Lodestar Armor set reveal for MHXX that had shots which were far higher than 3DS quality-- MHXX Switch was in progress before the Switch even launched.

@JaxonH Between rumors and basic logic, yeah there's going to be a new title on the Switch. What goes into it depends on what World brings in-- if it doesn't even break its 1.5m goal (which I personally think is a real possibility), then I think it's reasonable that they'll just try to brush it under the rug and make the Switch title the big thing going forward.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

JaxonH

I think 1.5 mil is severely selling this game short.

I expect 1 million in Japan, maybe 1.5 by the time everything is said and done a year after launch. And 3 million in the west. Basically 2 mil on PS4 and 1 mil split between PC and X1. I think it might even do a little better.

At the end of the day, it'll likely outsell previous entries by 1 million. It will also be at $60/ea instead of $40, however, once it drops it'll sell for $20 just like every other entry. Granted, it had a much, much higher cost of development and a huge marketing budget on top of that.

Either way, there's stacks of money left on the table until they serve their portable audience. And I'm pretty sure they know that (MHXX at 350k shipped physically, plus digital I imagine it'll nearly reach 500k, and that's a port of a 6 month old expansion of a 2 year old game, in a userbase of 2 million gamers in one country).

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

zionich

Most importantly, it will be mine. My precious !!!!!!

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH It's from outside financial predictions.

The thing is, Monster Hunter doesn't have the cultural relevance of Dragon Quest or massive hype of FFXV behind it-- a home console game selling a million in Japan this generation is basically unheard of.

And something that I think a lot of people need to realize: get outside the fandom, and not a lot are talking about World. It's not going to win a lot of people over who've had no interest in the series or tried it but disliked it; you'll have some people definitely jump on due to the shift in platforms, but the same shift will likely spurn just as many, if not more.

Something like 500k in Japan and 1m in the West sounds pretty reasonable. 2 million, maybe. I don't see it selling more than half as much as 4U or Generations did; they comparatively crippled their sales in Japan with the console shift (heck, 1 million has nothing on 4's 4 million) with the platform shift likely being more of a trade-off with audiences in the West rather than substantially growing them.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

CrazedCavalier

Sorry for the double post, but some pretty good news has come up: in the most recent (and likely near final, if not final) build of the game, mobility while consuming items has been greatly reduced. Seems like they're actually listening to criticism and trying to conserve the combat.

Haru17

Capcom are streaming Rotten Vale gameplay about 12 hours from time of posting at the link in this tweet. I think it's Ryozo's podcast thing because they also streamed some unique gameplay back around TGS, but I'm not sure.

Haru17

Turns out you can teach an old Uragaan new tricks.

Untitled

zionich

Roflmao

Haru17

@zionich The spikes made zero sense to me before just like with Nergigante, since Uragaan's whole concept was that its flat-tipped spikes would allow it to become a wheel with less friction which would work better on uneven volcanic ground. So uneven, pointy bones sticking out of Radobaan's hide would really increase friction and decrease stability, and that's still true, but I think they really make sense for this attack. I'm glad it's not literally just Uragaan with the new brute wyvern animations.

Keep in mind Radobaan's hips are each armored with half of a sundered Diablos skull + horn rack. And when Odogaron PvPs it, its chin and face bone armor is broken off. I get the impression this is another monster we're going to peel the armor off of like Barroth, Agnaktor, or Gammoth.

zionich

@Haru17 In one of the videos that gijian Hunter posted he talked about how that that area is basically a grave yard. It's pretty cool how that beast gathers and uses all the bones to make armor. Very interesting design. Never really looked at the physics of Uragaan. Great breakdown.

Haru17

Afraid

Metal_Slugger

I will be buying a ps4 solely for this game. I'm wondering if I should go pro or save money. I will also use it for blu ray only have 1080P tv. I am wondering if there would be a descent benefit to going pro. Estimated bare minimum game play will be a thousand hours.

Metal_Slugger

Octane

@Metal_Slugger I'd say go for the vanilla PS4. But the difference isn't that much, $50 more for the Pro if we're comparing the 1TB models. If you don't mind the extra 50 bucks, you may as well go for the Pro. And if you upgrade your TV at some point in the future, you're all set. Some games let you pick higher frame rate for example, that still affects your game, even if you don't have a 4K TV, and the system is a bit faster and quieter.

Octane

Metal_Slugger

@Octane Thanks for the tips. I am waiting for the black friday deals. I think the ps4 slim with 1tb will be around 200 and not much being advertised about the pro. Maybe one store I see it may go for 350. I like to save that money but on the other hand the quality of life spending so much time on this game may be worth the extra if its' easier on the eyes or better gameplay. If not I'm down with saving all I can still am looking like crazy for good deals on a pro.

Edit: Looking like Gamestop may offer the slim and a 50 dollar gift card for 199. Now that is a tempting deal. Had my heart set on the pro, but I most likely will only use this for MH. Couple more games I will play i'm sure, but not expensive ones. Id' soon buy Nintendo games if it gets pricey.

Edit: Hmm looks like the slim does not have optical output. Thats a killer if I want to use surround sound although I'm mainly two channel tube audio which it can't do either. May have to think on a used original or pro now.

Edited on by Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger

Haru17

If money isn't too tight and you're going to play for hundreds of hours, I'd say the extra $100 is worth it. Especially since you don't already have a base PS4.

I spent $200 on a New 3DS XL for 4 Ultimate and I had already bought a 3DS the year prior. It's objectively kind of a stupid choice given that I only ever really played Monster Hunter on 3DS, but I only regret buying the system earlier, not upgrading. And you don't already have a PS4 so there are no stupid choices.

Monster Hunter: World uses 3D audio though. I'm not sure if it'll work with surround sound, but it works with any kind of headphones.

Edited on by Haru17

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic