Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 901 to 920 of 1,570

CrazedCavalier

@zionich It's not a "Beta".
Halo 5's Beta, which was held a year before the game to gather info and opinions, was a Beta.
This is a console exclusive demo on a time-limit.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

JaxonH

I always knew it was going to be $60 to play this game I just didn't know it was going to be $60 almost 2 full months earlier, and just to play the demo. I'm not a subscriber anymore so I was planning to sub on the night of January 25th, my year lasted until January 25 of 2019. but with them requiring it for the demo I'll have to start it as soon as December comes.

I would much rather pay $20 a year for it though on a system I actually love and get two versions from, than pay $60 a year for a system I don't really play that often and where it's tied to the TV. So yes... it would cost no matter what but... ya. On the flipside of that PlayStation actually has competent voice chat- not that I will likely use it because I didn't really use it much in MH3U... but at least I feel like I'm getting something for that money. Unless Nintendo surprises with their online announcement, I kind of feel like you're not getting much of anything. Granted there are other games I actually do play online on that system so it has practical merit. There are no other games I play online on PS4/X1.

And they've always done armor sets, but they've never actually put the entire character in the game. Not that I care- I didn't even care about the Link BotW outfits in MHXX, despite loving Zelda and that game. I just find it odd that they're bringing this game to three platforms, but can't even be bothered whatsoever to get the community engaged or interested a little on the other two platforms it's coming to. If they care that little, why bother bringing them to those platforms in the first place. Just to check off that box? Americans love their Xbox, make sure the game is on there?

The truth is though, my plan was to switch over to the PC version where there are mods and where it's free online, because this might be a game I come back to from time to time and I don't want to subscribe to a whole other year at $60 every time I want to play the game. So I'll probably do the sub once, and then by the time it expires the game should be on PC. I'll have to start over, but so be it. Of course I say that now, but by the time it releases on PC I might've already moved on from this game so, we'll see how it goes.

@zionich

Yeah those free games are free. They're rentals. I have absolutely no interest in rental games be it on PS4 or Switch or any other system. I'm going to sub to the Nintendo Online just for Splatoon 2, MHXX ( just in case I ever want to play online with you or TJ or somebody) and whatever else comes in the future but any NES/SNES games they offer I'm not even going to download. Just like I do on PS4- if I want it I'll buy it and I'll own it forever. If not, I don't want it wasting space.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

@JaxonH I think that's where the Capcom Sony deal comes in. Marketing rights, special edition PS4 and the Horizon skins.

Octane

JaxonH

@Octane
I got that Rathalos PS4. Cost me an arm and a leg but... I love my Monster Hunter 😁

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

@JaxonH Special edition consoles are always nice to look at – except for the Pikachu N64, that thing was horrendous! – but they're not for me. Because I probably want them all if I had one lol. I don't like the controller that comes with the MHW PS4 though, it's... weird?

Octane

Haru17

It's just one event that has been announced, it's possible that there will be more 'betas' for Xbox and PS later in December or during January. Monster Hunter is fond of the week-out demo after all. Obviously not for PC anytime soon as the PC version won't be launching in January, but ya know.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

zionich

@CrazedCavalier I feel you are being too technical by you perceived definition. Does it really matter? It could still be a beta and get delayed. It could be a stress test on the servers. It could be a glorified demo. Why is this even a discussion?

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
$20 confirmed.

And ya, "betas" are for playtesting. It's officially the 3rd stage in development and the beta phase can last a long time as bugs are hunted down and the game is polished and fixes are implemented based on feedback... they are way past that phase. They are in the pre-release phase. When people play this game it's going to be a month from release and it's going to take several weeks to print discs and ship to stores, so there is literally no time for any of that at this point. Plus this isn't some competitive shooter where they need to make balances and tweaks, this is a single player and multiplayer cooperative game where the mechanics have long since been established.

It's part of the image of the game, that's all it is. Release a demo and people don't care. Release a "beta" and suddenly you have everyone's attention.

@zionich

You're right, it's a pointless thing to debate. But I do think it's worth noting just as yet another piece of evidence pointing towards the modern "AAA" mindset. Along with betas, $70 deluxe editions (which the game has), season passes, $30-50 expansions, microtransactions, $150 Collector editions (which this game also has), etc. By projecting that image, they justify all the rest. I'm not saying they're going to go so far as microtransactions but, more than a few of those things apply here. Retailer exclusive preorder content... that's another. That's the modern day approach, and maintaining that "AAA" image is important for companies to justify the modern approach.

Edited on by JaxonH

zionich

@JaxonH Which system are you getting it for?

I see your point as well.

Edited on by zionich

JaxonH

@zionich
Both. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to balance between the two but I know I have people on both sides of the fence who I want to play with.

@Octane
That is the struggle. I make a rule for myself where only my top five favorite games ever, would even be remotely considered for a special edition console.

Monster Hunter
Fire Emblem
Zelda
Metroid
Xenoblade

And 1 of those has never seen a LE console. And the other 4 thus far have only been 3DS which were relatively cheaper. This is the first time I've ever actually bought a special edition console and not just a handheld. I kinda like the controller? I mean, it's not the best, but it certainly not the worst either. I do love the actual PS4 though. Much better than the MHXX Switch (which was kind a lame but I did like the dock- if only they had released a special edition Joycon... dang I would have been all over that)

Edited on by JaxonH

zionich

@JaxonH Having that same issue. My friends I know will play the most will be on Xbox. My best buddy is on ps4 but might not get a lot of time. Another buddy is waiting for PC. If they release it on the Switch that's all I would play it on lol.

Edited on by zionich

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH They've at least made it clear that the free "DLC"/regular new event quests system will be carried over. The "Beta" just feels like something Sony plied them for to get more marketing/attention.

Also, I believe the game only has a standard edition that comes with pre-order/day 1 bonuses and a CE that comes with a statue and other crap.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

JaxonH

zionich

I am just ready to get back to hunting monsters with some English text 😁

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH "Digital Deluxe Addition" ...ooooh.

zionich

@CrazedCavalier I don't disagree that Sony made that trick and pony show happen. Just one more thing to add to the Paris reveal no one else had.

CrazedCavalier

@zionich I'm just afraid of things eventually getting to Destiny level nonsense.

zionich

@CrazedCavalier Muahahahahahah

JaxonH

Destiny is online only- and that's some nonsense I just refuse to tolerate. I don't buy games that require online, no exceptions. Its the new DRM, and not only do the Internet connections cause issues with the frame rate and well, ya know, not being able to actually play the freaking game whenever their servers go down or Sony servers go down or your Internet goes down or your router acts up or whatever... that's where I draw the line. Gran Turismo tried flirting with that line- oh yeah you can play the game but you just can't save it... nah. That doesn't fly either.

@zionich
Oh, who said anything about English? World will still be in Japanese... what, you thought the game would actually be in your native language this time? 😁

Honest truth, now that I've adapted to it I could play any monster Hunter game in Japanese. I mean obviously I prefer English but, I won't think twice in the future if there are unlocalized games. That was waaaay easier than I had made it out to be in my mind. I've practically got every single menu permanently memorized just from syncing 1500 hrs. into the games over the last generation.

It will be a nice luxurious upgrade playing this game in English though. We're gonna be pampered

zionich

@JaxonH I do agree. It is easier than I though it would be. The biggest chore is translating skills.

This is the time I would drop an Achmed The Dead Terrorist, "Silence, I kill you " 😁

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic