Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 581 to 600 of 1,570

JaxonH

They completely ruined the cooking jingle, the timing cue and the "sooo tasty!" at the end.

...Buuuut of course they did.

Nice to see charms back at least. But until we know if skills get threshold activation bonuses... I'm not sure how crucial they'll be.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haru17

I like how it's a character saying, "So tasty" instead of, presumably, the voice of god. I don't see how 'ruined' is appropriate, they just preformed it anew with an instrument instead of midi. The audio is a lot less loud and compressed as a result.

And I hope charms are less crucial to a gear sets, considering they're still presumably random drops. Of course the ability to upgrade a charm and the skill levels upon it will help with that, but not if you have the wrong skills on it to begin with.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH Hands-on and prior footage has confirmed they don't. People have already put together a mixed set: Hunter/Anjanath/whatever/Anajanath/Ingot, since it's 4/7 attack boosts.

Here's a reddit post with all the skill data available from Gamescom: https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/6vbqty/armor_...

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

JaxonH

Sighhh, how did I know someone was going to try to say that it's better off with the classic, sacred jingle and SO TASTY! sound byte being nixed. Of.... course it is. Cause nobody liked the classic jingle. Hunters all around the world were clamoring for Capcom to replace all they hold dear with... this random NPC telling you your steak looks tasty.

@CrazedCavalier
Welp... why am I not surprised. Thanks for the links. Seems pretty standard. Piece rate resistances and the like. Looks like all the activated skills are out.

Deep breath.... Oh Capcom.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH The actual gameplay looks good and all the new weapon moves seem nice. By and large, the game is looking good; it's just the little changes that seem off.

On one hand, it was a change for the sake of change, yet on the other hand... does it really effect the gameplay a ton? You've still got armor skills, and you've still got the ability to mix and match them to get the best effects. It's only really dumbed down at the lowest levels of play.

Worries about the potion animation change have at least been mitigated, since we've seen that cancelling out of the animation limits the amount of health recovered. We haven't seen anything that's as gamebreaking as Pair-Up in Awakening or it's removal of all objectives but route and defeat boss.
I'm just saying, maybe it won't be so bad when we're actually playing... of course, blindly thinking it will be great is as dumb as calling the entire game a "POS" (which I've seen someone who used to frequent the thread do recently).

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Haru17

You realize I can think up about 4000 snarky remarks lampooning your stubborn obstinance to what are, in the grand scheme, minor changes to a very heavily preserved formula that has been maintained since the first PS2 game. For instance, I hope you're near a defibrillator when you realize that they reorchestrate the main theme in every single mainline game, keeping the basic melody but adding or subtracting instruments as is appropriate. Which is exactly what they did to the steak song.

JaxonH

@CrazedCavalier
It does. I love the gameplay, the weapon moves, the monsters... they absolutely nailed all of that. And by and large it is looking good.

But at the same time, I don't think I've ever felt this way about a game before... in my entire life. I've never seen a game that could look so good, so incredible, so amazing... and then screw up all these other little things that were really important! It's crazy. How hard would it have been to just make a Monster Hunter game with better graphics and a bigger world and better AI and leave it at that? The Monster Hunter jingle is more symbolic than anything, but it does make me mad- that was a series staple everyone loved. That I loved. Changing that changes the identity of the very game. Just doesn't feel the same.

At the end of the day, the game will still be playable and the game will still be fun- they can absolutely wreck everything else I love about the series (which they seem to be doing a pretty good job of thus far) and at the very least it will be a fun game fighting the monsters. Unfortunately, there's so many changes for the worse that are really adding up. Ever since this game was revealed, it's always had an asterix attached to it. Every time they show new content it has an asterix attached. Because they knew people would be upset about these changes, so they always bundle them with awesome new gameplay so that people are like welllll, I don't like that change but the game looks great so whatever. They keep doing that over and over. The list of negative changes in this game has gotten so long I've lost track of it all!

I just wish they would get all this bad news and compromise and change for the sake of appealing to a wider audience out in the open so that we can digest it and get past it. But it's like every time I come to terms with the compromise this game is making, they rip the wounds right open again with the next reveal. I don't know man. I love the game- looks fantastic... but gosh darn it, they've ruined so many things that I loved about the series. One of my favorite things about monster Hunter was managing animation frames. Gone. One of my favorite things about monster Hunter was strategizing skills to be activated. Gone. Its aggravating. It's a shame because this is a game where it should be exciting every time they reveal something new. And it is.... but at the same time there's always that feeling of dread like, "uh oh...what gameplay mechanic will they bork this time?" Know what I mean?

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH I do. It's just, much like FEW, I sit in the middle and am getting tired of both sides (I'm kinda shocked I haven't left the sub at this point). Having seen other series change, I just feel like I've come to terms a lot quicker while still maintaining a critical eye (+1).
At least I'm not like that one dude in a video who tried to argue change is always good and acted like BotW and FFXV were universally acclaimed only to take potshots at Awakening and Fates at the end. Some people are just blinded by their own hypocrisy.

Honestly, I think just about everything has been brought out at this point. What more is there to change that we haven't already seen? We've got the combat, skills system, euipment crafting, UI, new features... I think they've mostly shown their hand mechanically. Just move on to the meat of the game and show us more monsters and areas.

Edited on by CrazedCavalier

JaxonH

You know what bothers me the most though... when there's fanboys who stubbornly insist on defending every single change they make in this game. It's gotten so bad, Capcom could put the marshmallow man as the main character to hunt sausage weenies with a toothpick... and they would defend it

Just kills all my hype, and it just makes me not even want to talk about the game. What would normally just be a quick comment or two about not liking this or that, turns into a back-and-forth battle because one person feels the insecure need to present this game as Jesus Christ, where any admission of westernization, casualization or change for the sake of appealing to a wider audience must be promptly annihilated and neutralized from discussion.

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH Look, the devs themselves admitted to making some changes to appeal to broader audiences/western players. That's all you need to know, really.

I have a comment on the sub I made today where I said "Still think XX's version, with the longer build up and choiral accents, is the best version in the series" in response to somebody who ripped World's version from the recent trailer. Before I left for work, it was at -2 karma. Now, it's at 3. It's sad yet funny.

Edited on by CrazedCavalier

JaxonH

@CrazedCavalier
It is what it is. We've all known for some time now concessions were being made. But they still disappoint when you discover them for the first time. I saw the video with the steak jingle today, and came here to post about it right away because I was miffed about what I saw. But I don't want to discuss it for hours on end. Just wanted to vent about it quick because that's, yet again, part of the game I really loved.

Have you heard anything about skills that don't pro rate so well? Will they be making an appearance in the game and if so how will they work?

Haru17

We've all noticed how the game is trying to appeal to new players (as opposed to being arcane and impermeable, basically requiring a friend to explain it to you like the rest of the series). What I refuse to lend any credence to is the use of words like 'westernized,' 'casual,' 'casualized,' or 'dumbed down,' as if they mean anything substantive or have a place in any kind of intelligent aesthetic discussion. You don't see experienced reviewers use those words for a reason.

But anyway, @JaxonH, your perspective is so warped that you think not pre-condemning every little detail is fanboyism. The opposite is true: you have a grudge against Capcom, a company whose decision makers don't even speak your language, for perceived slights. Frankly I don't think a lot of criticisms thrown their way are legitimate because there's a lot of grudges, falsities, and extrapolation involved. Is it really so difficult to believe that someone wasn't as satisfied with what fourth gen ended up as and likes the look of World more, while you liked the 3DS versions and didn't want details changed?

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH Nope, nothing.
Though interestingly, mantles don't entirely replace previous skills. The Ghille Mantle was thought to be replacing Sneak, but Arekkz caught it on the Leaf armor in the Hong Kong footage. One of the effects of the new Glider Mantle is making monsters easier to mount... but Mounting Master is also back.

JaxonH

@Haru17
Nobody's got a grudge, man. I just like monster Hunter, and strange as this may sound, I don't fancy my favorite aspects of the game being plucked out and flushed down the toilet. Perhaps one day you'll understand that.

Is it really so difficult to believe that someone also likes the look of World more? But hates all the fine print details...

JaxonH

@CrazedCavalier
I need Evasion, Sharpener, Fencing, Earplugs, all that good stuff.

I'm worried they're doing away with all of these. Like earplugs- I thought I saw the hunter flinch during a roar, but who knows

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH It's been known for some time that you still do flinch during roars-- there's just different sheathed and unsheathed animations now.

Octane

Huh, okay. All that stuff on the previous page looked awesome.

Why are people so obsessed with that jingle? I think it was silly for Nintendo to remove fall damage from Odyssey, but I don't care that much for fall damage.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@CrazedCavalier I think at least while situations like Fire Emblem Warriors and Tokyo Mirage Sessions continue, the fight between fans of the classic FE games and fans of Awakening/Fates won't end. I mean like right now the Fire Emblem Warriors roster is Marth + 6 Awakening characters + 7 Fates characters, a very clear bias toward Awakening/Fates.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haru17

Monster Hunter: World review: "No Tharja, 0/10."

But seriously @Octane, when I woke up today I had no idea World would have an (admittedly less powerful) deku leaf in it. Between the glider mantle, climbing, Slinger lasso, vine / icicle / stalactites swings, and sliding down terrain like the actual slide built into the Ancient Forest's giant tree, this game is going to feel so fun to just move around in.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic