Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 561 to 580 of 1,570

Haru17

That's good news, that means Capcom aren't staking the future of their company on World selling 10 mil. Still, I wonder how they're going to market it in the west. Of course they will release trailers on YouTube, but that's not quite big money mass marketing. I'm wonder what they will do for TV, YouTube, and internet ads after MH4 decided Americans like 'big game hunting,' which I feel was probably a case of misunderstanding the audience. Then again, that game broke a million in the west for the first time.

In any case, I think this game is a slam dunk to market. Most people still don't know what Monster Hunter really even is, so this brand new HD game with gorgeous environments and boss battles will look quite promising and fresh. It fits right into the open world obsession even if it isn't exactly OW and can even appeal to the co-operative multiplayer audiences of games like Destiny. Reviewers are predictable and this game will probably score higher than past MH games which got up there themselves, for all the good it will or won't do for sales. Just show a bunch of action in the trailers with some ear-catching music and the rest is up to chance.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

JaxonH

Unfortunately, i've been trying to get every person I know the play this series for the last 4 years.

Absolutely no luck on Wii U. Nobody owned one. I guess there was one person who got into the series- me, because my Xbox loving coworker actually went out and specifically bought a Wii U just to play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. That was enough to convince me I needed to try it.

Then came 3DS, and the almighty Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, which launched with the New 3DS XL. Nobody seemed to care (as per usual) but I did convince my brother to try the game and he played for 25 or 30 hours and then moved on to something else. MH Generations released... got nothing from anyone.

Then MHXX for Switch. Obviously I was never going to convince somebody to jump into the series by importing a Japanese game lol. But given the fierce interest in Switch and the fact I've got like four coworkers who own one and are keeping up with new games, I did tell them all about it and show them trailers for the game. One co-worker, Anthony, told me he has a friend who is actually importing the game as well. He has never played it and doesn't really know anything about it, he just knew that I love the series and he had a friend who really loved the series as well. I showed him the demo and played some in front of the guys, and while they did seem moderately entertained I don't think they understood what made the game fun or addictive. It's hard to glean that sort of thing from a five minute observation.

Then came World. Ah. Finally. Surely with this game I will get people into the series. Or so I thought. Everyone has a PS4 or Xbox- with nice flashy graphics I thought this would be an easy sell to just about everyone... not the case. I told the two Xbox fanatics at my work about it- showed them the trailer and told em how excited I was and that it's my favorite series... nothing. You could tell they were bored watching the trailer halfway through. I showed it to Anthony and the 3 other guys in the lab... nothing. The new Wildspire Waste trailer releases and I show that too.... nothing.

I'm convinced this game's concept is simply not appealing to the masses. Core gamer only. They've checked all the boxes, they've done everything "right". But I know interest when I see it. People were interested in Zelda. People were interested in Splatoon 2. Heck, people were even interested in Mario x Rabbids- my Xbox fanatic coworkers were asking me about that game, of all games... yet with Monster Hunter- a game that's actually coming to the system they own ... I get nothing.

That's alright. It doesn't have to be the most popular game in the world. But there is something to be said for games you get your friends into and you play with them. I will always remember the guy who got me into Monster Hunter- an Xbox fanboy, of all people, sold me on a 3DS-ported Wii U entry of Monster Hunter lol. But I can't sell a AAA Monster Hunter the Xbox fanboys. Or anyone else for that matter. Go figure.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

shonenjump86

@JaxonH I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I've been trying to get people I know who have an Xbox One to look into MH World. At first they thought it was a game similar to Pokemon, and I was like... No, please go look at a trailer for it. When they finally looked at it they were kinda impressed and said they would give the game a shot. I'm not the best player at MH so having some friends who can get into would be great. I'm currently playing Generations on 3DS. And can't wait for MH World to come out, the game looks great.

Switch Friend Code- SW-7254-3677-0897
Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Mario Kart 8, Capcom Beat em Collection, SNK Heroines.

PlayStation- Shonen86
Fighting games.

Add me if ya like.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7254-3677-0897 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-2566-1897 | Nintendo Network ID: Shonenjump86

Haru17

@DarthNocturnal It's like World of Warcraft's marketing. I'm not sure that works for Monster Hunter... also he never clearly stated the game's title.

And about circumstantial evidence that Monster Hunter isn't popular, I don't presume to know your friend group, but they might just not be into it. There are plenty of core gamers to carry a game these days, especially if the expectation is 1.5 million and the brand new PS4 Dragon Quest game just sold 1 million units in Japan only during the summer.

JaxonH

@shonenjump86
I literally cannot wait. I'll be grabbing MHXX on Switch in about 48 hrs from now. That'll thoroughly satiate my lust until next year. Generations was a good game- didn't really have much story but aside from that, I really liked the expansive selection of locales and monsters. I was actually playing some MH Portable 3rd on PC a month back or so, and I immediately recognized the village from Generations. Yukumo Village. It felt instantly familiar, and I loved that.

But ya, I'm trying to forget about World for now. It's still quite a ways off, and there's a lot of games releasing between now and then. I just want to see my current Generations save data once it's imported onto Switch. There will be many screenshots posted in the XX forum 😃 My armor sets and weapons and all the awesome things in Generations I could never share because it was trapped on a sub HD hand held without viable media transfer options...

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Nobody was talking about sales. No need to come out defending the game's potential sales numbers just because people are talking about their longtime struggles getting friends into the series. It's a well-known fact this game isn't that popular here... you don't need evidence for that, anecdotal or otherwise

But for the record, If this game can't sell one and a half million I'm willing to bet they'll can the series forever. In fact it should do it least three times that. Just by virtue of being on three separate platforms.

Haru17

JaxonH wrote:

But for the record, If this game can't sell one and a half million I'm willing to bet they'll can the series forever.

What are you talking about? There's going to be a sequel on portable/Switch regardless of what happens with World. It makes zero sense for Capcom to end their most consistently high-selling series because of poor sales. For instance, why didn't they end it after Tri if that were the case? That was almost the same situation.

Joeynator3000

Highly doubt they'll can the one series that has been keeping them alive to this day, if anything they'll just say "screw the west" and go back to traditional MH for Japan or something.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

JaxonH

@Haru17
Relax... it's exaggeration meant to stress a point (which I think everyone somehow missed).

The point being, that hell would freeze over before this game doesn't sell 1.5 million copies (another non-literal expression).

Haru17

@JaxonH Oh, okay. Your sarcasm didn't quite read to me.

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
Ha, nice.

If nothing else, that's what sites like this are for.

Come to think of it, the guy who got me into the series is on my friend list. Haven't spoken in years, since MH4U released. Maybe I'll reunite.

Namco

I'm on the optimistic side. My decision to try Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate was almost spontaneously. I played it without friends for months. It took quite some effort to convince my gaming friend to buy the game as well. (He didn't really appreciate Nintendo in the first place) He's a huge Pokémon fan however. I just had to tell him that Monster Hunter is the second best selling franchise in Japan and for good reasons. Now we both agree that Monster Hunter is one of our favourite game series and we can't wait to play Worlds. Once Monster Hunter World releases we'll make sure to recommend the game to others. And it'll be a lot easier to convince them when they already have a console that plays the game. Also it doesn't look like crap (sorry 3DS MH games but your visuals are just that)

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> â–² Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH I don't see them canning the series if the game fails expecations; worst case, it goes back to JP only. Likely case, they try and brush World under the rug and put their full focus on the Switch, where their proven fanbase has moved to.

Anyways, Arekkz has gotten a CB overview: https://youtu.be/AoGn9vSVv6I
4U's, but better. Going to miss the streamlined GP system a bit, but nice that it likely won't be garbage.

Edited on by CrazedCavalier

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

JaxonH

@CrazedCavalier
Think you also should read comment #649 (5 posts up).

This one went over everyone's head

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH Ah. Still, I think 1.5-2m is a perfectly reasonable expectation.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

CrazedCavalier

Sorry for the double post, but a compilation of info:
-The Remobra-like wyverns used by Hunters are called Wingriders/Mernos (conflicting info)
-"Mudsioth" is Jyuratodus (yes, that's the localized name)
-The GL heat gauge is gone (instead of tweaking it to act purely as a buff gauge, as I and others had hoped)
-Palicos have a skill that lets them temporarily tame and ride small monsters (shown on a Jagras in IGN footage)
-There's a cave system underneath Wildspire Wastes that can be entered via holes in the ground Diablos opens up
-You can eat at base camp
-Kestoden are new herbivores that look like Pachycephalosaurus-- they're aggressive and matriarchal (the female is bigger than the males)

Haru17

GLIDER MANTLE GLIDER MANTLE GLIDER MANTLE. I can't believe a game would make both this and a grappling hook — that's so generous! Apparently these will let you ride wind currents, but we haven't seen any wind currents in the Forest or Waste, so perhaps there will be warm updrafts in the volcano or something.

Also that Diablos cavern stuff sounds soooo sick and perfectly integrates that monster into the new map, I can't wait to see it in action.

Edited on by Haru17

Xaessya

That makes me glad that I can get this game on PC, looks to be the best Monster Hunter released!

Xaessya

Haru17

There's a bunch of stuff at the end of this video; the eating animation (approaches FFXV levels), a crazy projectile bug net, and the updated barbecue music.

What's more, charms are upgradable and Reddit users report that helmets can be hidden (I can't read German, so I can only pass this on blindly). The gunlance has both a new aerial and ground attack in addition to the stabby mine, and it looks like Anjanath sneezes fire instead of breathing it out. He must always smell barbecue...

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by Haru17

Haru17

Untitled

Oh and there's this. Ride on!

Edited on by Haru17

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic