Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 541 to 560 of 1,570

Haru17

@CrazedCavalier So now you have a lot more options. I still don't see the part where this is A Bad Thing like all of the other things some of the people on this site try to label World with, it's just different. A lot of the time in 4 and Cross I wanted to try bow because the Zamtrios gunner armor looked cool but couldn't because the armor spheres required to level the armor and materials required to craft a competitive bow just never dropped after 3 or 4 hunts. The result is me moving on with long sword as usual and spending less time advancing through the game.

I think the team just wants people to be able to craft and use more of the 14 different classes they create for the game.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

-Green-

I'm okay with this. I'm not a fan of a lot of grinding, and if there's a bit less of it in Worlds then I'm perfectly good with that.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

CrazedCavalier

@Haru17 It's much less satisfying if you get everything upfront.
I wanted to make a bow set in Gen. I farmed Shagaru and made a bow set. The exact same deal that came with making a new blademaster armor set; you want equipment, you have to fight for it and earn it. The RNG wis a bit of a wild card, but the reward just felt sweeter.

Edited on by CrazedCavalier

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

Haru17

I'm a fan and I'm totally fine with it, I'm not offended by stats and menus, that's not really the core of Monster Hunter. Right now it's just you who're upset with the lack of grindiness which, for all you know, isn't even in most of the game.

Besides, you can always make an RPG grindier by playing on alts.

CrazedCavalier

@Haru17 I'm just noting how the weapon takes far less materials to upgrade than in the past, and how if it holds true in general it will negatively effect the entire game for many veteran fans.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

CrazedCavalier

@Octane Grinding to get equipment is of equal importance as hunting monsters. Some people thought that Gen made hunting too easy (and it definitely was a bit easier). If you can get all the materials you need for equipment in just one or two hunts, the exact same thing will happen. The whole gameplay loop is fighting monsters to get better equipment to fight even harder monsters to get even better equipment etcetera.

Haru17

The fact is you don't know the extent of what you're talking about nor how many 'veteran fans' actually agree with you, you've seen one crafting screen. A meme among 'veteran fans' is the desire sensor, so people might not mind drop rates being increased. And regardless of the material cost you still have to hunt to craft, just potentially not farm a monster over and over for one sword. I think 'true, red-blooded veteran fans' will continue to play the game like they always had regardless of what the drop rates are. That's endgame in Cross and 4U — making your own fun and finding a new armor goal to complete even if it's not crit path.

CrazedCavalier

@Haru17 I have admitted that we haven't seen much, but what little we have potentially points towards the change.
Making equipment require fewer parts makes it less rewarding to craft, in the same way easier monsters make for less fulfilling fights. And how have you twisted this into drop rates? The GS upgrade shown needs half as many materials as in the past-- if they made the ludicrously rare items a bit more common, I'd be all for it.

This is just going in circles-- I'm saying "it could end up like this", you're saying "it's too early to say". Why does this even have to be an argument?

Haru17

CrazedCavalier wrote:

This is just going in circles-- I'm saying "it could end up like this", you're saying "it's too early to say". Why does this even have to be an argument?

Because you're arguing change = bad and I'm bored by that kind of status quo defending.

And how have you twisted this into drop rates? The GS upgrade shown needs half as many materials as in the past-- if they made the ludicrously rare items a bit more common, I'd be all for it.

If you have played an MMO like World of Warcraft or even something singleplayer like Xenoblade you will recognize how those devs create artificial scarcity to make certain tasks require more time. Whether you increase the drop rate or decrease the amount of materials required, the effect is the same — less forced grinding. Devs like Blizzard who charge a subscription fee make things like faction reputation and rare high level gear ridiculously rare so players are compelled to spend more game time and more time subbed to loot or craft X piece of gear. I don't know whether Capcom is still doing the same Monster Hunter subscription thing in Japan, but the principal is the same whether you're paying for it or not.

crimsontadpoles

I'm fine with less grinding. It gets tedious in previous Monster Hunter games to have to keep hunting the same monster again and again and again and again and again to be able to craft a new item.

You still have to defeat the monsters to get new equipment. Less grinding means you're not required to repeatedly hunt the same monster, giving you more time to hunt whatever you feel like.

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

CrazedCavalier

@Haru17 Maybe, just maybe, people don't like big changes as they can negatively effect the game for them? Heaven forbid people actually like the game in its current state and not want it to change too much.

Monster Hunter is a grindy series. To a certain extent, I (and many others) like the grind, and lessening it would greatly decrease the game length. How is that so hard to wrap your head around? MMOs also tend to be grindy; most fans also like the grind. If something that big has stayed there for so long, people probably like it. It goes back to the series' gameplay loop; if you make things so you never have to farm monsters, playtime will be greatly lowered overall and the game will be less satisfying overall.

MFD

@CrazedCavalier That's the funny thing about MH, unlike a grind in some RPGs or Korean MMO's, it doesn't feel like a grind. Fighting the monsters is fun, it keeps you on your toes, it's awesome, so it never truly feels grindy (at least for me). It's part of what MH so incredible.

World has a couple of things that has me frown, like those fireflies that show you the way. It takes away from the part of tracking the monster down on your own, imho. That and the armour switching on the fly. In MH now, you've to improvise if another monster shows up and you brought a particular armour, that bit of challenge is out the window now (unless you arbitrarily keep your armour on that brought at first)

@Haru17 As far as I'm aware, a lot of people keep buying CoD all the time, even if the core stays the same. And in a case like MH, I'll vouch the "Don't change a winning team" quote.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

CrazedCavalier

@UmniKnight Exactly! Unless you're trying to get a rare item and it's taking you a dozen hunts to do so, it's fun mastering a monster while getting the materials to make their equipment. If it's all just a one and done deal, it makes things a lot less fun and lowers the overall game length.

Scoutflies seem like a bandaid for the fact that they made the maps far bigger. Honestly though, "hunting" was never really a factor in the series; you just ran up to a monster and threw a paintball at it.

MFD

@CrazedCavalier True, but I do remember fond moments of running around the map, trying to find where that monster ran off to if the paintball ran out, people flying across the map when they found it

But yes, are there signs of them stream-lining and reducing the grind? If that is the case, I'm not too keen on that one.

MFD

MFD

@CrazedCavalier I see. Well I intend to pick it up on PC, and I'll be applying my previous years of hunting to see how World holds up.

MFD

CrazedCavalier

@DarthNocturnal Well, they got rid of the blademaster/gunner armor divide at least. I also like how they took from Gen's forging menu.
I'd be all for eliminating rare materials, honestly; having to hunt the exact same monster ten times to get one item is just plain excessive. But if I'm making a whole set, yeah I'm fine with hunting the same monster half a dozen times.

Haru17

I hope armor spheres are gone. That grind was never fun and it basically required farming ore veins to get competitive defense values. In any case, exploring and gathering will be quick and easier in World.

If we're done fretting over stat values and numbers I'd like to get ideas on what effect weather conditions will have on hunting. I was thinking rain might effect climbing and fighting on sloped terrain, but who knows. It occurs to me that rain might only fall in the Ancient Forest and a hypothetical temperate fifth region. The ice area those two armor sets are from would snow not rain, and video games tend to not let rain fall on volcanos, using hot temperatures instead. I guess rain might fall in the Waste because of how flooded it is, but I doubt it since it's supposed to be the desert region (just from the look of it though, I think it's actually too temperate to do the cold drink during the day, hot drink at night thing that the Sandy Plains did). I think rain, snow, and sun would probably be the only weather states unless one of the regions is specifically overcast or misty. Lightning and storms seem like they would be kept exclusive to thunder monsters for impact's sake.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic