Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 481 to 500 of 1,570

Haru17

@Bronze Lance got a forward shield-step in one of the videos, so maybe GL has that too now. We'll have to see. There are also the new wall jump and sliding attacks to consider, as well as any new shells that they may throw at us.

And I don't mind the "stay out of the fire," AoE effect fights in Monster Hunter as much as I do in MMOs and MMO-likes. Shagaru Magala was a fun fight and its virus orb thingies were smart enough to climb ledges, making them less 2-dimensional (the problem with staying out of the fire as a core mechanic). Monster Hunter usually integrates these sorta of things into the environment well, like Agnaktor and Zamtrios' swimming or Uragaan's rolling and rock-throwing. And of course monsters don't have clunky casting times that communicate poorly like MMOs, so that always helps.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Mansa

@Haru17 I guess that's a plus. If it can activate during a combo and resist heavy hitting attacks without being pushed back, that's practically all I ask for.

Meh. I don't really think about the slope attacks much. I'm mainly worried about the situation in facing a monster at neutral. I am however vastly interested in the possibility of new shell types and abilities.

Mansa

Nintendo Network ID: Bronze

meleebrawler

@Bronze In recent games, you can buffer in an advancing shell after a block.

But I've said this many times before, the Gunlance's true strength isn't in setting speed records, but breaking parts easily. The tough ones, anyway.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

CrazedCavalier

@Joeynator3000 Uhh... Gore's sideways stream of explosions, which Shagaru elevates to also going forward? Shagaru's double hand slam? Both of which have touchy hitboxes? And the random exploding virus lightning rod things all throughout the fight. Something tells me you haven't fought them in a while.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

Joeynator3000

You obviously haven't seen the insanity in Frontier. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

-Green-

All I know about frontier is that it had awful hitboxes.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

-Green-

@Tsurii I used the wrong tense, but yeah I don't really know too much about it beyond that. Apparently it's also the hardest MH game because of that.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

CrazedCavalier

@Joeynator3000 I have. Shagaru commits all the sins Frontier monsters get mocked for, just to a slightly lesser extent and with fewer particle effects. It re-skins a previous monster, adds a bunch of spikes, and has AOEs with touchy hitboxes.

The Frontier design philosophy began leaking into the series from 4th gen. Some monsters can actually do combos (which was unheard of before), endgame numbers get very inflated on both sides... Frontier has been effecting the main series for years, and particle effects were the least of it.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Mansa

You know, I think they could have done a lot more with the spirit mode of the long sword. I was hoping for a badass dbz like aura around it once level 1 spirit was achieved.

Switch axe on the other hand looks hardcore with that glowing effect. By the way the maps and stuff is laid out with all of those narrow passways, I doubt it will come true, but I hope Durambaros comes back. I need my Grunhart. It's a switch axe that turns a mace. Oh man, I'm fantasizing about it's look as we type.

Edited on by Mansa

Mansa

CrazedCavalier

https://www.twitch. tv/videos/162625821
Taiwanese footage, showing DBs, IG, and SA. Close off the spaces-- a direct link just turns into a channel link, which shows as "offline".
Linked the original twitch footage instead of the youtube upload floating around because the colors actually look a bit more vibrant.

DBs look largely the same, while the IG and SA actually look kinda flashy.
SA looks like it got a heat mechanic-- the energy icon also shows what form the weapon's in, and it turns blue while you attack in sword mode (fills up incredibly quick with the elemental discharge). When it's full, the sword heats up. Unfortunately, they don't use it for long so you can't compare the damage increase.

Jumping onto and blowing up Anajanath's face looks awesome, though.

Edited on by CrazedCavalier

Haru17

@Bronze I'm just glad the giant tiered glowing effect doesn't obstruct my view of my shiny new long sword anymore.

And some of the new areas are pretty huge, but yeah, it wouldn't make much sense for Duramboros to charge through the bark and not get stuck. There are plenty of angular monsters to bring back though, and future areas could be flatter and wider.

But yeah, I watched the Hong Kong event live. Probably the most telling thing is how the dual blades' Attack on Titan spin triggered from both a ledge and a diagonal slope. So those animations are either somewhat the same or DBd just 'snap' to that spinny bisecting animation if they hit the monster dead on in the front. It could also mean that the frontflip attack is the hammer's new aerial attack. We've also seen typical charged slams from the hammer in a jump, so grain of salt.

Mansa

Yeah, I always hated the lame effect the spirit sword had in previous games. It just looked so stiff or still. However, with the game running on the console now, my previous fantasy is not at all impossible.

What I'm suddenly curious about is how DLC will be handled from now. Will there be more effects in quests than shrinking the monster size and how long will it continue? Will it be free?

Mansa

Haru17

@Bronze Well obviously that quest DLC won't be paid because it doesn't introduce any meaningful new content into the game — it's just skins and stuff.

My guess is that the Ultimate version will just be sold to PS4/X1/PC users as a $20-30 expansion pack so as to better suit series outsiders who are more familiar with buying DLC than the same game again. The content will probably be a new field (a big addition if it's on par with the rest of the areas in World) and 2+ new monsters to populate it, maybe a remastered old monster or two that fit with the theme. I think there's a fair chance that the Ultimate version launches on Switch for the first time around the time it does on PS4/X1/PC, and then that's their annual game for 2019.

What I'm curious about is whether Capcom will still make an cinematic opening for World even though the graphics look about equivalent and the monsters actually fight each other in-game now. Tri, 4U, and both Cross games had some fantastic openings, so I hope to see something, even if it's done with in-game assets. No more Breath of the Wild title screens please.

Haru17

Arekkz made a nice video speculating and looking closely at the armor. One thing I noticed is that, along with a Slinger, each armor set will have a neon green-colored insect zapper thing that cages the Scout Flies. It also dawned on me that they changed the Insect Glaive light color to purple to distinguish it from the Flies, which I think makes the weapon a lot more visually attractive on average.

Haru17

@Tsurii Well yeah, you can even see the area numbers on the map. They're just to make the hunts flow better, maintain a high standard of level design, and to easily communicate locations in text or speech in the middle of a hunt.

CrazedCavalier

@Tsurii We've known this for a looong time. The map clearly still shows area numbers and stuff-- there's just obvious tunnels/transitions between them to mask loading rather than loading screens.

Haru17

You can also catch shortcuts around the map on those new wyverns (separate to fast travel), so it's more than just connected areas. The whole map loads at ones and then does the draw distance thing as you get nearer or farer.

Haru17

https://facebook.com/PlayStationAsia/photos/pb.15878269415441...

Monster Hunter: World (more than likely the same demo with different weapons) will be streamed from Playstation Experience Southeast Asia at 11 pm PST or 8 am CEST at the above Facebook link (the times are listed in Malaysian local time). I'll be watching, and there are more than likely to be plenty of YouTube repackagings of the footage in the next day or so.

Edit: Nevermind, it was just that same GS / HBG footage.

Edited on by Haru17

Haru17

Something I didn't think about before was how the Kinsect uses standard dual analogue stick aiming controls now. That's going to alleviate a lot of the clunkiness of the weapon, make it more playable for people who main other weapons like me, and allow the more hardcore Insect Glaive mains to perform all manner of cool trickery. I just hope they map the shoot marker and send/recall Kinsect commands to the shoulder buttons or give an option to, otherwise you'll have to take your finger off of the stick anyway and aiming will be less precise. I also want sprint and the slinger to be on a shoulder button for the same reasons. The air dashes eat your stamina just like the pole vault by the way.

I really love the detail in this game. Having a series with a realistic art style and elements of magic like the Insect Glaive / Kinsect and the flames on the Switch Axe and wyvern fire blasts is just so cool and looks beautiful in a way games set in mundane reality can't.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic