Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 381 to 400 of 1,570

JaxonH

@Haru17
Well sure, anyone acting like it's the end of the world is going overboard. And maybe I missed some comments or something. But I don't like it, that's just being honest. Yet despite anything I disapprove of, I'm going to buy this game, I'm going to give it a fair shake (and I already know I'll like it, that's beyond dispute at this point). I KNOW I will love this game.

But honestly it feels like I got sucker punched in the gut when I learned what had become of the skill system. That's how much this bothers me. If it was just simply potions pro-rating the health you gain as you drink it, I'd shrug it off. If it was just cancelling out of animations at will... I'd question it but quickly move on (as I have done). If it was only full health refills offered all over the map by insects as you're fighting a monster, I'd come to terms with it. If it was just gunner and blade master armor being consolidated... I'd ignore it. If it was just big fireflies leading you step by step all the way to the monster, I'd deal with it (but even psychoserums allowed you to forge your own path through the map)... if it was just armor skills being pro-rated on a per piece basis, well, even then I'd be upset. But given the exhaustive list of other departures and changes, it just makes it that much harder to swallow. Factor in the domino effect it has on other systems like talismans, which are apparently being replaced in favor of mantles, and... if that's not enough to drive me to vent frustration I don't know what is.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haru17

On the topic of blademaster and gunner, obviously there don't seem to be different armors anymore. Instead you can see a weapon type bonus on the right column of the equip screen. The great sword's is physical defense up while the heavy bow guns' is elemental defense up — presumably that could be a blade vs gunner thing and not something specific to those two weapons. The changes to the armor divide, how locked in equipment load outs are, and the ranged weapons' attack animations make me so much more eager to pick up a bowgun now. The footage they've shown makes the weapon look brand new compared to the old first-person stuff, and of course dual analogue stick controls will improve aiming.

Core Monster Hunter has always been pick up and play. You could fuss with armor skills and items if you chose to, but you could just equip a weapon and armor and run out into a hunt. All of these changes promote that, including the removal of styles coming from the portable team's game. Moreover, many of those animations have been incorporated into the base move set so it's the best of both worlds.

In any case, it's hilarious to call Monster Hunter: World the not-an-open-world-game's new maps bloated when they actually increase the amount of interactivity per square inch, unlike basically every other game this gen. Remember that the paratoad and vitabug can benefit/disadvantage both hunters and monsters depending on when hunters activate it. I think it's perfectly reasonable to have health pick ups on the map (we've only seen it in like two places so far) just like, if you really wanted to, you could scrounge for herbs, blue mushrooms, and honey in the old maps. However, just like those ingredients become more inconsistent the further you progress into each game's maps, I expect these kind of benefits will become scarcer and scarcer.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH Nothing about the heartbeat cues? Which is basically a visible health bar for the monster?

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

Haru17

The biggest problem with health bars is that they get in the way of the enemy models and clutter the screen. A tiny UI element doesn't bother me in the same way. The heartbeat thing on the target cam icon has alternating wavelengths which seem to indicate health or stamina, frequencies (dunno), and the color of which alternates blue and orange when the monster is enraged.

JaxonH

@CrazedCavalier

Hadn't heard about this

The sort of thing that gets non-fans cheering. Never thought I'd see the day they could add this kinda stuff and people wouldn't care. Before this game was announced I remember my fear was that this game was going to be westernized.... thankfully it hasn't been to the extent I originally feared, but it's far worse than I was subsequently led to believe (and getting worse the more we learn). Theyve added a gage that shows monster health and rage- they think players are too stupid to discern the tells.

edit
And it seems you have access to your item box during hunts now... there goes the difficulty of preparing for hunts. Just fast travel in 2 seconds to grab all the potions or items you need... not that you'll likely need to with all those buzzing max potion insects around.
Untitled

This is too much.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

zionich

@JaxonH Our best hope that this completely alienates the Japanese market and the more traditional games still get made. The worst possible case scenario is it sells so great that there is no further reason to localize the more traditional game. These are scary times for a Monster Hunter fan. I want Capcom to be successful, just not forget about the fans that carried the franchise in the west.

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

Joeynator3000

That's the other thing that annoys me....you can grab stuff from your main item box during quests now...and even change equipment. T.T

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Haru17

So we're at 'only hope' already?

Geez, you guys really are dramatic. Aren't you even a little worried about your strong words being proven wrong in, say, two months when a new trailer is released? Ever considered that every systems change might not be the end of the world / franchise / hunterkind?

Edited on by Haru17

CrazedCavalier

@DarthNocturnal The less health a monster has, the slower it "beats".
What I don't like is that they had the audacity to claim that they weren't adding health bars for monsters but then slide in a slightly more convoluted health bar.

@JaxonH For what it's worth, you can't go back to base camp while a monster's still aggroed (and they seem to only leave you alone if you knock their health down far enough), and unless you completely sucked/are soloing an ED you would never run out of needed items.

Honestly, not to try and prop myself up or put you down I've begun noticing the contrast in our behavior: I was highly against World at first and have remained very skeptical and remained on top of info, while you started at 0, shot up to 100, and have now begun falling back down to 0.

So, take a deep breath and relax. Be cautious and critical without delving into hyperbole.

EDIT: @Tsurii People keep saying it's dumb and yeah the player was sub-par, but (not to beat a dead horse) Capcom seems to want the GS to be more combo-heavy as of Gen, with all the new moves shown in World being follow-ups.

Edited on by CrazedCavalier

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Haru17

@Tsurii I mean, I don't see what we would skip. We still have to gather and craft in the first place, or else a box will mean nothing.

There really just isn't enough info out yet. We never saw the hunter click on the item box, so we don't know if it's just an option during early game quests or what. I think that the item box is there because of the return of free hunt in at least some of the areas. It would only make sense to give players full access to their collection while they're out in the world like that.

Also, in Gaijinhunter's video he noted how 'potion' popped up as if it had just been gathered in the new gameplay. He hypothesized that it was some sort of auto crafting system for basic items like potions.

Edited on by Haru17

JaxonH

@zionich

Perhaps what is needed here is a heavy dose of reality checking. This is not the game I'd hoped it would be. It's just not. Even based on the little information we have thus far, it's clear this is a different flavor of Monster Hunter. They can call it the next mainline game all they want but this has more changes than any game in the series thus far, spinoff or otherwise. And that's fine, as long as we know that going in.

But therein lies the problem. Setting expectations as a core mainline game, fans expect the core elements and systems and mechanics they've grown to love. They'd have been better off not trying to convince the world this is the next mainline game. Had they simply stated "yes it's a spinoff, no different than Generations, and we're trying something different here" I wouldn't have much of an issue with any of this. Because that's what spinoffs are for- experimentation. But setting the tone as the new direction of the series I have a very real problem with this. I think they feared backlash and tried to sway fans to not write it off by insinuating it's MH5. But every time someone asks them, "is this MH5?" they always deflect with "this is the next generation of MH". Yes, we know that, but that wasn't the question, was it? I think at one point it would have been, and they noted the game at one point in development being referred to as such, but the extent of changes has clearly persuaded them to backpeddle. So now they're in a situation where they'll imply it it, and if it does well they'll claim as much, but if it doesn't, they'll deflect until the next game is revealed and actually is named MH5.

Which means the future direction of the series likely rests with the performance of this game. And that is indeed scary. Because while one game I could tolerate, or even a spinoff series I could welcome, I will not abide the future of the entire series being hijacked by modern gaming trends (and that is precisely what is happening here- they are changing countless elements of the formula into a more palletable and more marketable package, mostly centered around making systems easier, more obvious and more forgiving).

Edited on by JaxonH

JoyBoy

So it actually was MH: Baby World all along... now for ps 5 and more adult systems coming.

We bring the adult and lose the fun. Join us now to the hunt. The hunt for baby dinos. They even interact with each other. So cute.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Haru17

@Tsurii No, I liked your post. It left room for discussion instead of speaking in weird definitives and ultimatums. It's a post I could actually respond to and hopefully carry on an intelligent discussion.

I kind of really like the new great sword. I learned how to do the whole charging thing with time, but that weapon still feels way harder than all of the rest if you just want to relax and play, and has perhaps the least attack animations of any blademaster weapon. I think it'll be cool to have a weapon that can be played both by charging large, precise hits and by chaining together different strikes. It's also important to remember that hunters can now change direction while both charging and guarding, which I think is the change the block needed to become useful.

@Spanjard This. This is the kind of post no one can reply to because it's just vaguely negative gibbering.

Edited on by Haru17

JoyBoy

@Haru17 But here you are.

Ok... I'll add something to this amusing/bickering thread.

What I don't like is the tone of this game. I don't mind some of the changes they seem to make. Was never in love with all the skillpoints and gems and all that. So if they "streamline" that, i would be fine.

What I always liked about monster hunter was the duality between fighting these ferocious monster and the nonsensical fun. Having these over the top animations when drinking potions was not only a way to test if you really know the monster but it also adds fun, because here you fighting a giant beast while posing like a real man!

It just doesn't look fun to me, from art style to gameplay. Not to say it won't be, just my observation.

Edited on by JoyBoy

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Well Zelda's gone the same way. BotW is a standard open world game like Skyrim and Aonuma has said that it's the future of the franchise.

I like BotW but I wish the franchise kind of split off into 2 directions, that say after BotW the next new Zelda game would be more like the traditional experience (e.g. OoT, TP) then after that another open world adventure, etc.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Joeynator3000

Yeah, and BotW isn't the best Zelda game ever, pretty sure World will end up being the same...and 4U will continue to be the best game.

Keep it PG-13-ish.

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano

And I am more inclined to understand where people are coming from with Zelda given the situation here.

But, Zelda's changes did not make the game easier, or simplify its systems. The game was actually regarded as one of the hardest in the series to date. I'm not necessarily against change but what I am against is change in the name of appealing to a wider audience at the expense of more complex systems being simplified or made easier or made less punishing or made more forgiving or information/items a player typically attained through skill being gifted on a silver platter.

Edited on by JaxonH

Haru17

This isn't even an open world game though. The combat and hunting between different areas isn't that different, there's just a lot of new features.

And Breath of the Wild's changes definitely made the puzzles easier. Because unlike what World looks to do, they took away careful level design and complexity as opposed to adding it. Half of the 70 puzzle shrines in that game are just reiterating the same exact uses for the four main items you learn in the first area. That's the only time I'm bothered by a game being 'too easy' — when it becomes simple and uninvolved.

Edited on by Haru17

CrazedCavalier

@Joeynator3000 You mean Rajang Hunter 2015?

Joeynator3000

@CrazedCavalier ...I barely touch Rajang in any game......

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic