Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 361 to 380 of 1,570

JaxonH

I'm sorry to say, but it seems armor skills have been... let me put this politely so as to not throw anyone into a tizzy... changed. To be easier.

It's possible it was just for the demo so nothing is written in stone, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Seems the whole "need 10 points to activate a skill" is gone. Now, each armor piece counts. And there's levels? So, basically it's like every other game with armor skills now.

What MH has used to be unique. Fun. Challenging. Now, instead of a simple tutorial to explain the system, they just said screw it.

Ughhh... and I'm not in the mood to argue about this. Because I know there will be somebody who will try to tell me this is a good thing. But it's not. Not for me. I knew there were going to be compromises in this game but this is getting to be too much.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

KirbyTheVampire

I'm still not sure about this game. Some of the changes are a bit iffy. I just wish we could see the whole package already so that I could know whether to be excited or not, lol.

KirbyTheVampire

Joeynator3000

I just want to see something else that's new already...if I see another trailer with the same exact map and monsters in it....

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

zionich

@JaxonH For me it's just one of those things I will be fine with as long as the traditional Monster Hunter formula games still release. If this becomes the new normal and they do away with the old formula, I will have to hope it is just as addictive.

The fear that it will not be the same series for me is still there.

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

JaxonH

@zionich

I mean... ya. I can get on board with that. If I knew the series was going to continue without all these changes, I'd probably not care as much. It'd still be a bummer just because this is was one of the most addictive aspects of the game. And managing animation frames has always been one of the first things I tell people the game is about when describing it to someone. But knowing it was a one-off I'd be more inclined to roll with it and enjoy it for what it is.

I'm hoping that's the case. Clearly there are some major improvements and quality changes in this game that I love, but it's like a glass of fine wine riddled with a few drops of poison. It doesn't take but a drop to ruin the whole glass.

I'm still gonna buy it regardless (it's MH, that's a given) and I'm sure it'll be plenty fun... but these changes have finally crossed the line from being minor annoyances to straight up changing the core game. And for no reason. People made excuses for the animation frames being removed, and there was at least some doubt it was done to make the game easier... but the skill system worked fine. And everyone loved it. And this time, there is no doubt it was changed to accommodate new players who may get frustrated and quit playing because they couldn't understand the skill system and why their armor that had skill points wasn't doing anything for them.

I'm hoping against hope that this is not representative of the final version of the game, and that it was only for the demo. But it's looking unlikely. If it was demo only, there wouldn't have been "levels" for the skill.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haru17

Why are we angry again? The skills look exactly like the old ones except you build up notches to meet a skill threshold instead of just numbers. There's probably ranks of attack boost higher than that too. When I first played Monster Hunter Tri it took me like 20 hours to even discover the armor skills, then much longer to figure out how to min max them. I hope this is well tutorialized and speeds up our ruminating over armor.

In any case, Anjanath seems to be the new Great Jaggi armor.

I'm quite glad that they made the day/night cycle look like Monster Hunter as opposed to just a generic lighting effect. It'll be much more grand looking out to sea from that giant treetop now.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Octane

Why is it acceptable for a game like Zelda to throw out all conventions and do something completely different, but Monster Hunter isn't allowed to even change a few small things? I mean, any game won't ever be the same as the previous one. I wonder if that stupid ''MH:W for casuals'' rumour didn't pop up, or if this was a Switch game, people would react differently.

Octane

Haru17

@Octane People are okay with Zelda killing its metroidvanian, puzzle, and narrative elements and becoming a repetitive open world because they're blind and never appreciated the series' qualities in the first place. Open worlds are a great venue for cheap pleasures, which seems to be all gamers look for this gen.

Meanwhile Monster Hunter's combat focus makes it so even if it took a drastic open world jump — which World is not even close to — it would almost certainly maintain its identity. I mean what else are you going to do but gather, hunt, and craft? However, jumping platforms is enough to coax irrational reactions out of everyone and inspire shortsighted hyper-scrutiny over every little detail. Especially here on a Nintendo forum — the majority of people on the subreddit seem to be okay to excited about World.

Edited on by Haru17

CrazedCavalier

@Octane People would be acting the same.
The difference is there were a lot of LoZ fans who wanted the formula to be changed-- MH is more popular than it's been right now.

@JaxonH If you don't want to repeatedly argue with a stone wall, just use the block button.

Either way, I'm going to call it now: World will be easier than Portable 3rd.

Edited on by CrazedCavalier

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

Haru17

It'd be hard not to be easier than third gen with all of these additions that actually explain how to play the game for a change. If you mean the actual difficulty of each monster or the end game, then you're just guessing, hardly 'calling' anything.

CrazedCavalier

@Tsurii It's just hella ironic with a few people who think Gen's the worst thing every because of it's difficulty and arts/styles and think World's some return to form.

They're dumbing down the skills system and messing with the series' trademark reactive gameplay, bloating the maps and making the control scheme more complicated on top of it. The only piece of "streamlining" that I actually like is talismans seemingly being removed.
Time will tell if World ends up being an Awakening (bringing in enough people to afford ditching a lot of older fans) or Sticker Star (moderately successful but widely reviled).

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Haru17

You haven't even touched the game yet and you're already comparing it to Sticker Star.

Moreover, you two are reveling in this willful ignorance that pretends E3 demos aren't made a lot easier for industry people. So of course the damage and health values are lower and the timer is shorter.

CrazedCavalier

@Tsurii That was Fates, though.

And honestly, as of late it feels like Capcom themselves have been trying to phase out mixed sets, what with Deviant armors (albeit only two of them were comparable with top-tier mixed sets) and Ataroru Ka's set in XX. I just never got the appeal-- to me, I found it odd that people would complain about relic equipment but be fine with talismans when they're the same concept: potentially the best gear in the game gated behind RNG.

@Haru17 It's not just that-- being able to lure monsters into traps or into other monsters for an easy 1000 damage, along with there being virtually no penalty to healing (jog while doing it and still being able to cancel out of it entirely) mid-fight and much more forgiving evade windows paint that picture on their own.

And I used Awakening and Sticker Star as examples because neither of those games were particularly divisive until after they come out-- post-release reception was my comparison point, nothing more.
Though it's probably pointless, I'll say it again: get off your high horse and let other people have their opinions. Nobody's trying to say you are in the wrong for being excited for World, so don't try to imply we're in the wrong for being cautious about it.

AugustusOxy

Graphics look like PS3 quality at best.

Gameplay seems to overly rely on stealth.

English voice acting is ear piercingly bad.

Psuedo-quick time events.

Lots of hand holding.

Scripted events.

I think I'm gonna skip this one, and not because its not on the switch, but because it just doesn't look like Monster Hunter. Hell, Anthem looked more monster hunter than this and Anthem at least has the right kind of in-game engine to meet the 'new' style of gameplay capcom is going for with this.

If I do try the game, it will be when its on steam, for sale for like 6 bucks.

https://www.facebook.com/AgumonForSuperSmashBrothers4 — Agumon for SmashBros!

zionich

@Octane Why can't people have there own biases on each individual game and not a grouped whole?

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

JaxonH

@Octane
Why is it Zelda gets ripped to shreds over its changes (just take a look in the Zelda thread, most everyone here defending this game has attacked Zelda) , but even one thing people don't like about this game and everyone defends it

JaxonH

@Haru17
People are okay with Zelda killing its metroidvanian, puzzle, and narrative elements and becoming a repetitive open world because they're blind

And that's my cue to leave this discussion.

Zelda was never Metroidvania. And BotW had puzzles, they didn't "kill puzzles". The entire game was a puzzle. It was different but it wasn't changed specifically to cater to a wider audiences who can't grasp the concepts of the game. It was changed because it was a legitimately awesome direction to go in. And if you critiqued this game half as much as you go out of your way to critique Zelda I wouldn't have anything to say. But apparently with Zelda, you could go on a six page spiel about everything they did wrong in the game and everything they changed that you dislike, but one thing about this game that somebody dislikes and you defend it with this

However, jumping platforms is enough to coax irrational reactions out of everyone and inspire shortsighted hyper-scrutiny over every little detail.

Marginalizing any little criticism about this game and writing it off as people just being upset about the platform it's on is straight up damage control in its purest. I've accepted this game being on other platforms for a month now. And yes if this was on switch I would probably be even more critical because it would mean that the core series itself is definitely changing and never going back.

There's one thing I care about more than Nintendo and that's Monster Hunter. Fire Emblem too. If you knew how much I like these games you would've seen how hard I tore into Fire Emblem over (thankfully fake) leak about gameplay changes. It wasn't pretty. But I'm sick and tired of even the best games on Nintendo getting all this criticism but with this game no one can criticize even one single thing without being marginalized as "hyper critical". It's like this game can do no wrong. And it's not like anyone's been irrational. These are small changes with huge reprocussions that, while perhaps previously could have been argued otherwise, are now clearly evident to be a result of making a game catered to wider audiences. Of course it's going to bother people.

And I'm just done with it. If I have to accept every change this series makes without question in an attempt to draw in more people, as Capcom has done time and time again, and if I cannot voice concern or dissatisfaction of certain aspects without being criticized and marginalized... then there's nothing left to discuss. Because I'm not going to sit here and pretend everything is hunky-dory when I am legitimately upset about these changes. And I'm upset because this one of the very few game series I am absolutely obsessed with. I didn't mind the changes in Zelda because I'm not that big of Zelda fan. Great games, I've just never been a diehard. And they didn't make the game easier, the game was actually the hardest in the series! Here, I am a diehard. Of the highest order. And these changes are making the complex, skill based game I love less complex and skill based. I'm not demanding everyone else be upset, I'm simply voicing my feelings about what they're doing with this game.

Edited on by JaxonH

Ralizah

Joeynator3000 wrote:

I just want to see something else that's new already...if I see another trailer with the same exact map and monsters in it....

Agreed. Every time people post "new footage" of this, it always looks like some variation of the hunt in that first trailer.

I wanna see volcanoes, tundras, deserts, etc.

As far as I can tell so far, this is Monster Hunter: Vietnam Edition.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH Not to try and derail things, but which fake FE leak are you talking about?
(Is there a PM function around here?)

@DarthNocturnal Exactly-- I'm still interested in the game (I wouldn't be commenting here if I wasn't). There's just a lot of things we've been shown early on that concern me.

Haru17

@JaxonH You'll recall I went out of my way to be open minded about Breath of the Wild's open world genre shift. I defended that game, giving it the benefit of the doubt while it was still up in the air as far as we knew. I told people it was unfair to call the game 'empty' from the shots chosen to be in the trailers — in that instance I turned out to be wrong. However, I can't very well defend a game's flaws after it comes out. Right now you have multiple interviews where the directors are saying 'trust us, we have to make some changes to the gameplay since we removed load barriers' in the same way that Aonuma went around talking about Breath's departures.

Of course I am going to speak against this every animation change is the end of the world narrative because the game hasn't come out yet. It hasn't been made playable to the public yet. There's nothing to be gained from dramatizing every little change. People in this thread don't know the first thing about the game's difficulty yet because the hunter's defense didn't change at all when switching from the basic hunter armor to the the Anjanath set this stuff has obviously been tampered with for the demo.

@CrazedCavalier The fact is that you're being anything but cautious. Rhetoric like bloating, dumbing down, and all of that is nothing but dramatizing changes we don't understand the full extent of yet. I'd love to have a cautious discussion where we go over the various different points of change, but that's kind of hard to do when some people are rocking the 'Doom!' sandwich boards. So of course I'm going to 'defend' the game insofar as insisting on non-definitive declarations until we know better, press gets hands on, previews come out, a demo comes out, etc.

Edited on by Haru17

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic