Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 341 to 360 of 1,570

JaxonH

No cross-platform play is going to split up the community which sucks. I'll be playing on Xbox One X until the PC version releases. But have a person I'm trying to get into the series who only has Switch and PS4. Which means I'm ultimately going to have to buy this game 3 times.

May end up buying the Xbox Elite controller for this game on X1X. If you're gonna experience MH on multiplat consoles, experience it right.

@Haru17
With a New 3DS you activated Art 1 with R+A+B and Art 2 with ZL and Art 3 with ZR. Much better that way. Only needed touchscreen for target lock.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

In reality, JaxonH's $150 controller won't give him any more of an edge in the game than a person using a normal $50 controller.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Grumblevolcano

As long as you have a controller that came out October 2015 or later you'll be fine. The original Xbox One controllers are pretty bad but the quality was much better from the Halo 5 controllers onwards.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
@Ralizah

Why sound so sour over how I'm gonna enjoy the game? It's not for "an edge" it's for comfort and quality of life. Being able to remap all the buttons and assign certain actions to paddles would be amazing for Monster Hunter.

And it may be overpriced, but I can certainly afford it. Always wanted one, never had a reason to push me over the limit. Now I have the best reason. And I've seen them as low as $100 so I'll be keeping an eye on sales going forward.

@Grumblevolcano
I'm sure you will be fine with a normal controller. But it was never about "not being fine", it's about being better than fine. It's about experiencing my favorite game series in the best possible way. And as far as consoles go, an Xbox One X with Elite Controller is the best possible way.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
It's not about need. Nobody "needs" anything but food, water and shelter. Video games are a hobby for enjoyment.

But I want to enjoy in the best way possible. I find it amusing that you find it amusing other people don't want to play games exactly like you. I have a 4K TV, so yes I would like to enjoy my games in 4K as well. Why would I choose to experience games in a lesser way when I could experience them in a superior way? To save money? If I wanted to save money I wouldn't be playing video games in the first place.

So by all means play the game however you like. I, however, will be enjoying this game right and proper. In 4k. With a better controller. And (hopefully) with a higher FPS (though I'm not holding my breath on that one).

Edited on by JaxonH

Ralizah

@JaxonH Not sour at all. If you have the money and enjoy the more premium make of the controller, then why not go for it? Just not my sort of thing.

Just curious, though: if you're getting the Xbone X version, why double-dip on the PC version?

JaxonH

@Ralizah
This is a game I will play long term, and online is free on PC ($120/yr is too much to stay subbed to both Xbox Live and PS+ when I rarely play games online on those consoles). I also like owning all my favorite games on PC, not to mention the fact the PC may get unlocked frame rate (if Xbox One X gets 60fps though, that would greatly reduce the appeal of the PC version). There's also the customization/mod side of things on PC- I usually buy on STEAM or wherever to properly support the game, then get a DRM free version elsewhere... I hate DRM. So ya. Then there's the fact my bro will likely switch to PC version once it releases.

And, MH is my favorite game series of all time, so I kind of feel compelled to own it on all platforms it releases on, just in case I ever have a friend who wants to play on that platform (and I know people who game on all of them, so this whole split community thing is gonna suck... having 3 save files and 3 games).

Ralizah

@JaxonH Fair enough. I'd probably play it on PS4, but paying for online is a big sticking point for me (at $60/year, anyway). PC version is attractive in most ways, but I haven't really done any mp in any of my PC games, so I'd have to find new people to play with.

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
Seems you've taken offense by the fact I said if I'm gonna play it, may as well do it right. Which is a far cry from PC master race rhetoric. It's simply saying if I'm going to play the game I'm going to do it in the best way possible. A common expression.

I suspect this offense stems from personal insecurity. Because there is no way somebody should take what I said as offensive. It's not rhetoric, it's a stone chiseled fact that games will look and/or run better on Xbox One X. And it's also a fact the Elite Controller is the best controller you can buy for consoles. There is no shame in acknowledging this. It's just a fact, no different then when people state the game would run/look worse on Switch. Because it would... it's a fact. I'm simply acknowledging this fact and doing something about it because unlike you, I feel the pay off is worth the price. You may not, and that's fine. But taking offense at the mentioning of these facts is a personal choice.

@Ralizah
I'd go with PC, but it's coming out later, and waiting is not an option.

Edited on by JaxonH

KirbyTheVampire

DarthNocturnal wrote:

JaxonH wrote:

But I want to enjoy in the best way possible. I find it amusing that you find it amusing other people don't want to play games exactly like you. I have a 4K TV, so yes I would like to enjoy my games in 4K as well. Why would I choose to experience games in a lesser way when I could experience them in a superior way? To save money? If I wanted to save money I wouldn't be playing video games in the first place.

I don't recall saying that (that people should play games exactly like me). If I was bleeding money out of my wallet, then sure, I'd probably go for higher tier stuff (assuming I felt it was worth the money and ACTUALLY better). But I don't think I'd parade around saying that my way is “right and proper“. That's not too far off from how PC Master Race people think. I've got a decent (if somewhat aged) rig, but I'm not going around telling everyone using a console that only my way is “right and proper“ (which would be especially silly, given I own an XB1 and Switch from this generation alone ).

I think you're taking what he said a bit too literally. I really doubt he's trying to be a "150 dollar controller master race" guy.

KirbyTheVampire

Ralizah

@JaxonH I'll probably get it on PS4 and solo it like I have every other MH game. Do we know if guild quests balanced around mp are still a thing in this?

JaxonH

@Ralizah
That's a very good question.

Someone said there won't be separate MP quests, and that all quests are solo or MP (hence the drop in MP). But I'm not sure. Ive heard elsewhere there will be separate guild quests. I know for a fact you can set up MP lobbies just like before. I just don't know if it's all pooling from the same quests or not.

zionich

Ralizah wrote:

@JaxonH I'll probably get it on PS4 and solo it like I have every other MH game. Do we know if guild quests balanced around mp are still a thing in this?

That is generally how I play Monster Hunters because my scheduel is always crazy to play with friends and I normally just up helping other people online and not get anything I would like done.

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

Haru17

@JaxonH I have a new 3DS, however the shoulder buttons are essential for panning the camera since the nub is too slow and unresponsive for Monster Hunter. So I'm left with clunky touch screen controls for arts because the devs couldn't think up a better control scheme.

And geez, why did this whole page turn into a system squabble? I think if Jaxon was really PCMR he wouldn't be talking about playing with a controller on 'inferior' machines. Something about how mouse and keyboard is better for Slinger aiming and Monster Hunter is really a first-person shooter at its corr.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

JaxonH

@Haru17
Ya it's not the best, but the C nub works fine for me in Monster Hunter games. For camera control it's usually precise enough, but for aiming it sucks. I turn the speed from default low to high, and it's much better that way. Actually playing MHXX as we speak, and I just discovered the speed could be increased. But ya, that's one of the (many) reasons I'm looking forward to playing this game on Switch come August. I'll give 3DS credit though. For being such a meager, sub-HD handheld, MH was surprisingly playable on the system, even if not ideal. Certainly better than PSP imo. But I think I'm not alone when I say I'm glad to see not one, but 2 MH games coming to a proper console.

Haru17

I don't mind the 3DS much, it's just the nub on the N3DS was impossible to use with my thumbs.

The biggest problem with playing World on PS4 is going to be the controller. After playing Breath of the Wild with diagonal analogue sticks (the last games I played like this being Halo and Skyrim) I remember why those controllers are better. The dualshock 4 is too fat at the ends of the handles, making it more difficult to hold / more cramp-inducing than the pro. I can't wait for World or 5 Portable or whatever to come to Switch so I can play it with the Pro on the TV, and portable on the couch.

JaxonH

I never liked PS controllers, but I will say the PS4 controller is vastly improved over the PS3. I've always thought Xbox One has the best controller ever made, which is unfortunate since I rarely play games on Xbox One. Nice that it can be used with PC though, and with the chat pad and wireless dongle you don't even need keyboard/mouse for living room PC gaming. STEAM's controller companion lets analog work as mouse, and chat pad works for keyboard. Good for just booting up and starting a game anyways. But I really like the STEAM controller for certain games.

I'd like nothing more than to play MH with split joycons. And MHXX will provide that. As well as portable play. But if people can get 2 Joycons to recognize as a single controller on PC, I'll be able to play World with split Joycons... that. Would be. Amazing.

Haru17

New gameplay is out! Or at least an HD English version of the E3 demo — haven't watched yet!

Haru17

So here's what I noticed:

• Lip sync obviously isn't in the game yet, don't pitch a fit.
  • New smaller monster which Kogath called a 'Kestodon.
  • New bird monsters in the demo title screen and in the tidal flats, not sure if they're intractable or not.
  • Larger monsters don't attack each other all of the time, sometimes they will flee
  • Anjanath has really interesting, highly specific kick and tail whip animations.
  • Larger monsters can break different paths open.
  • The stunned status is now similar to monsters, with players able to stumble around while afflicted.
  • Great sword charged swings are the finisher or down attack at the end of a mount.
  • Cutting damage from mount finishers can sever tails, presumably break other parts.
  • This player isn't great.
  • Wyvern fire rounds tho.
  • Large monster attacks cause ripples across the jungle gym vines terrain first seen in Monster Hunter 4. From what I can tell they don't seem to directly affect the hunter.

Ah, that feels satisfying. While we'll doubtlessly get more runs of this demo at Gamescom, this is probably all of the new info we'll get until Tokyo Game Show.

Joeynator3000

...I think Capcom loves this forest and t-rex thing a bit too much. >_>

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic