Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 121 to 140 of 1,570

Faruko

Remember how long did we had to wait for tri ? a full year, and by the time the Wii was already a success with millions of units sold, 1.5 years for 3 Ultimate, same with the 3DS being a hit already worldwide, again 1.5 years for 4 (4U)

MH has been pretty well recieved in the west, but look, Capcom always waited for a bigger install base because they didn't knew how people would react, PS4/XB1/PX are well established in all regions by now, Switch is just starting, if it keeps selling, dont worry, we will have a MH for Switch and localized

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

CrazedCavalier

@Faruko Because they said they aren't localizing XX due to focusing on World, which paints a very unfortunate picture.
It'll likely stick around in Japan-- and Capcom won't localize them unless World bombs.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

Faruko

Theyll probably will once Switch sales enough to guaranteed a big number of sales worth localizing a game.

PS4/XB1/PC are more than 150m in total (PC is kinda hard to tell numbers), chances that it will bomb are next to 0, putting worlds or XX on Switch with, i reckon considering their almost 3m unitsin first month, around 5m of Switch solds

You can't blame them, if you build it, they will come, Nintendo built the 3DS base, and Capcom came and printed money

CrazedCavalier

@Faruko Worldwide sales projections: 1.5 million.
Barely more than what 4U sold in the West alone.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Faruko

@CrazedCavalier thats for Worlds ?

CrazedCavalier

@Faruko Yep. (Also, it's World-- no "s").

Faruko

Oh, thats... not good, but i guess it proves my point that not even Capcom is really that enthusiastic about World coming to consoles, they kinda know MH thrives on handheld. Especially in Japan.

They do gotta drop the 3DS at some point, we have like 6 or 7 MH games considering spin offs

JaxonH

I'm definitely going to be importing XX, without question.

I'll just skip all the text, hunt the heck out of whichever monster I want an armor set from, and just check which pieces highlight as purchasable. Keep coming back til I have em all.

Capture and kill hunts are determined by color, so that's not a worry.

But I'm super excited for Worlds now too. This game on a portable console would have been a dream come true. Heck even XX localized would be a dream come true. But much more so for Worlds.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

@CrazedCavalier Source? Cause I'd imagine they don't want to lower their total sales expectations on a year to year basis? What are the projections for Japan? At least 4 million worldwide is what their sales projection suggested.

Octane

Ernest_The_Crab

Well, the closest to portable Worlds is going to get is laptop. I wouldn't be surprised if the platform with the biggest sales for Worlds is PC.

Very bad move in Japan though, where portable reigns supreme (for various logical reasons, such as population density). I can foresee extreme outrage in Japan, if it hasn't started already.

Edited on by Ernest_The_Crab

My Backlog | http://www.backloggery.com/thesolarknight

Friend Safari: Espurr, Munna, Duosion

3DS Friend Code: 3909-7515-3526 | Nintendo Network ID: ThePillowGolem

NEStalgia

@CrazedCavalier That's still total chaos IMO. I can't really imagine the main kind of consumer that's been buying PS4 having ANY interest in a game like MH if it really holds the core mechanics. And Japan has no interest in PS4. So they have a game they want to expand in the west, at it seems like a REALLY bad fit for the audience they're moving it to (and was a good fit for the audience they had), so at best they just swap customers, while now having higher dev costs because they still have to make the old one anyway or they lose the MAIN market, Japan. So now they have to make two different games on 4 different platforms to retain the same sales they had before?

The net result is still going to be that being an MH fan in the West is going to be a lot more complicated than it was. Even if Japan walks away relatively unaffected. They maybe got their Sony blood money, but it left them with ongoing expenses and split fanbases Sony won't be paying for.

Makes me wonder if DQ11 has a similar problem....though Sony didn't make the expected announcements about that.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
The Monster Hunter fanbase (ppl like me) will follow the franchise anywhere. To the moon if that's what it took.

So there's going to be a fanbase already, plus the new people they draw in.

I actually think it's great for the franchise, always telling people they should play this series, but I think it could have done just as well on Switch as any other platform, and people would have loved it infinitely more for being on a portable console.

But ya, fans will console hop if they must, even if they're not happy about it, or not happy about loss of portable play.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NEStalgia

@JaxonH In Japan....not so much. Capcom seems to have that covered...but yeah. Consoles are truly a thing of the past there. Even MH isn't going to light up the charts for consoles there. It'll boost sales surely, but the full MH audience would definitely not move to home consoles. And if "real" MH still exists on portable it won't boost sales that much at all of PS4. It just doesn't fit the lifestyle.

In the West....yeah, the die-hard MH fans will go anywhere. But that doesn't help Capcom. They are now paying for multiple platforms to largely get the same customers. I'm unconvinced they'll pick up many more customers on these other platforms as they would have picked up on Switch given it's lightening success so far.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
That's a fair point.

In the end though, the MH fanbase wins. Not being portable is a major blow, for sure, and disappoints me greatly, but ultimately I'm hyped out of my mind I will finally be playing the Monster Hunter of my dreams with insane graphics and significant forward progress (albeit, with some notable concessions made in the interest of a more palatable game in the west).

Still, gamers win. Not just PS fans or Xbox fans... We all win. Because in the end, it's not just PS fans or Xbox fans who benefit from this, it's everyone. Even people without a means to play it will have the ability to go buy a console to play it on. The win here is just the fact this game exists at all.

I was pretty unimpressed at first- that reveal footage was horrible and foreign and seemed to mesh with the open world rumors... But now I see gameplay and am like holy cow! Now I hear it's not open world, now I learn pretty much all the mechanics are in and by and large, it has not been casualized. And I'm just floored because I went from such massive disappointment to being more excited for this than any game in recent memory...

This is like Metroid Prime 4 for me. Even more hype in fact, because seeing is believing and we haven't seen anything of Metroid yet (I'm sure once a trailer drops I'll be through the roof excited). And gosh dang it... it feels good, especially after feeling so bad about this franchise.

Gotta count your blessings where they fall.

Joeynator3000

Whatever happens....just...bring back....the epic 4/4U cutscenes again. lol
Don't go the Generations route, lol.
monster appears, rawr, name appears, scene over

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

erv

It'll probably be a while before we get a new switch monster hunter. Worlds is not a game you pull off easily.

But When we do, it's gonna be great. It's not like capcom to invest in monster hunter as a new entry before the console hits a bigger install base.. XX for us now and later something fresh makes perfect sense.

I hope xx will be higher res and at least sharper and smoother. I'll wait for the inevitable new one after that while playing all the awesomeness that has just been announced...

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Joeynator3000

XX is already confirmed to be 1080p and 60 fps (I mean 3U did it on Wii U, so why not? lol), not only that but from some previews I've seen...some maps are getting a visual upgrade.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Faruko

No reason to throw Switch a new monster hunter as of now considering the console is still selling like hot cakes and the install base is still building up.

I can see a new big/real MH game for the Switch coming around 2019 for Japan, with Pokemon next year Nintendo already has a big hit to move huge amount of switch consoles, so MH waiting for the base to build up isnt that weird, you keep revenue coming with World which has a pretty decent instal base.

Octane

@NEStalgia Capcom's logic was that the console userbase (PS4 + Xbox One) would be around 150 million by 2020. They also think that they can attract new people and expand the franchise [in the west], after all, that was the entire idea behind all of this. If that rumour from @CrazedCavalier is true, and they are expecting to ship 1.5 million copies, then that's a huge win for them, because I don't think a Monster Hunter game ever sold 1.5 million copies in the west.

And now I think about it, 1.5 million is quite reasonable, since the game will release before the fiscal year ends. So February or March. 1.5 million is a decent opening for any game (and that's not counting Japan).

Octane

NEStalgia

@JaxonH I already have a console to play it on and am still very much the opposite of hyped. Granted, I'm not a hardcore fan like you, just a casual fan, but for me, what made the series something I enjoyed delving into is just ripped out here. If I'm going to chain myself to a TV console, I want an epic 20 hour story, not.....monster hunting. Repetitive OCD games work better handheld to me, and work best on Switch where I can do both. I guess I'm a lot more like a Japanese gamer in that regard.

For MH fans, outside myself and Japan I guess, I suppose it could be a good thing to get it in teh 4ks. If the full gameplay systems remain firmly in place without being casualized and Westernized, but then I still ask: Who's the audience? Not existing Japan fans who doesn't want a console game, and I really doubt the bulk of PS4/XBox customers would be into a game that plays like old MH played. Not sure I'd agree gamers win. Gamers that wanted graphics and open world win. Gamers that wanted portable lose. So it's a demographic change.

@Octane oh I know the logic is that massive western audience (note, western audience for a game almost entirely rooted in Japan) Trying to expand the base was worth the gamble. But possibly not at the risk of alienating the existing base. And 1.5M is far from a win for them. That's not far from the western 3DS numbers, but on a game that costs a whole lot more to develop and will go largely ignored by the largest (by far) home market. Their expenses really go through the roof on this. Maybe minus the Sony money but that's a one time deal.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic