Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 1,041 to 1,060 of 1,570

iLikeUrAttitude

I wish I had a PS4 just so I could play this. This along with a plethora of other amazing exclusives it has to offer.

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

Ralizah

Completed the first two hunts this evening and mostly enjoyed myself. It takes a bit of adjustment, but it really does end up feeling like Monster Hunter. I didn't notice a pause option, though. I exited out into the PS4 menu when I needed to step away for a bit and, when I went back into the game, the hunt had ended. Did they pull a Dark Souls and remove the ability to pause this game entirely?

Also hate how I can't turn the camera and scroll through my items because the right stick activates a quick-select menu when you're digging into your stuff.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Haru17

It would suck if there wasn't a pause button in the full game's singleplayer — I hate it when singleplayer games do that. However, I'm assuming that's just some weird beta thing for now since the beta is always online anyway.

And you can tab through your items without holding L with the D-pad.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Ralizah

Sure enough. You can just tab through with the D-Pad!

Just completed the "expert" quest with the Anjanath. It was fun, if not terribly challenging. Nevertheless, it was a fast-paced and frequently brutal battle that involved cutting off parts of its body and breathlessly chasing after it through the level.

I have to say, if there is one thing I really like about this game, it's how the inter-connected maps make it where you can actually chase these things across a level. They don't just burrow into the ground and pop up half a mile away in an entirely different area.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Namco

This demo was easy compared to previous Monster Hunter demo's. It didn't take more than half an hour to beat all three monsters and I only used 3 or 4 potions total. I hope this isn't the case for the full game. Also the scout flies make it a little too easy to track monsters. But besides difficulty I think we're in for a wonderful new Monster hunter experience. I'm going to try the different weapons classes, gunlance was underwhelming and I feel like fast weapons are much better in this game.

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

JaxonH

@Tsurii
Eh, I mean there's only so many times I can play the same three quests over and over. Specially with those stupid 20 minute time limits.

But if you're looking for someone to hunt with I would be up for that.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Tsurii
It's pretty easy. It's not like jumping into MHXX G rank or anything (which I tried the other day and got absolutely crushed). The only two monsters I have had issues with is Rathalos and Diablos, but that's more because of the time limit then anything else.

The biggest hurdle is finding the monster. If you spend 10 minutes trying to find a monster than you only have 10 minutes left to beat them, and if they fly off mid-hunt that's even more time you're spending not damaging them. In the real game that won't be so much of a problem because we'll have 50 minutes, but 20 minutes just isn't enough unless you know exactly where the monster is, you start out at the base camp nearest and make a beeline for where you know they're going to be. I love the big maps, but they don't work very well with such a low time limit.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Tsurii
They always turn the health down for demos. Even so, it's even easier than usual. That Jaggras, Pukei-Pukei and Kula Yat-ku go down within just a few minutes. Barroth seems to be equivalent to the easy quest of past demos, and Anjanath seems to be equivalent to the intermediate quest of past demos. Rathalos and Diablos maybe equal the advanced quest of past demos...

KirbyTheVampire

One thing I really like about the maps is how there are so many different pathways, and how there's more verticality and whatnot. It makes it a lot easier to regroup with people and overall gives the hunt a more dynamic feel, and also makes actually finding the monster a tad bit more challenging, which is nice IMO. Before you just kinda ran to where you knew it was gonna be, or at least that's how it was in Tri. Not sure about the newer games.

KirbyTheVampire

JaxonH

@Tsurii

I love the maps. I do wish there were some more open areas to fighting though. The maps are gorgeous and beautiful and it really feels like you are in an environment... but the forest is especially crowded. Unless you are fighting in a few select areas of that map, you're not gonna have very much room. Wildspire Wastes has much more open areas.

But ya, I think they're great. It makes the areas feel less repetitive when they're bigger and more detailed. I'm not sure how I feel about the verticality though. I mean, I like the verticality but I don't like trying to find my way up to the third level where Rathalos is. It's confusing as heck.

But overall, I'd say that's probably the best improvement this game has to offer... the environments. At the end of the day, you are still hunting the monsters we know and love, still using the same weapons- yeah there's a new move thrown in here and there but generally speaking it's the same combat and the same monsters as always. But the environments in which we hunt them down has been drastically improved.

And it's fitting, really. The name of the game is MH World. And it seems like the world is the one area in which they put all their focus for improvement.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

@Tsurii

The Longsword does poison damage, I believe (or not) So you poisoned him and just didn't realize it.

I think Anjanath is much better than in the trailers myself. He's definitely growing on me. But that's true for much of this game. I hated most of what I saw the first time I saw it (well, hated is a strong word... felt indifferent to and some things disliked... that's a better description). But it's a lot better than it came across initially, and even in subsequent trailers for that matter.

At the end of the day, what we have is a good looking Monster Hunter (finally, a MH game with amazing graphics... I was hyped over MHXX on Switch just for being HD- that's how sick I was of playing this series on 3DS) on a console we can actually play in HD. Because playing on the TV was never really my issue, it was playing in 240p that was the issue... I love the portability aspect with regard to MH, it's the perfect game to play a quest when you're on the go, and it's a shame to give that up for this particular entry, though I would have had zero interest on 3DS- it's Switch or bust for me as far as portable gaming is concerned). But in the end, we are gaining other things in exchange for that sacrifice. Much better graphics (although I still hold to the belief a MH game developed for Switch, that's not a 3DS port, could hit the same ballpark of visual fidelity even if not quite as impressive as World) and voice chat, which we would never have on a portable gaming device. And as someone who almost never uses voice chat, even I appreciate it because this is one game that I actually use it in if given the option.

MH World does a lot of things I like, and some things I don't really like. But the older entries did things I didn't really like as well. At the end of the day, I just accept it for what it is because there's nothing I can do to change it anyways. Just gotta go with the flow. At least the game is still, at its core, Monster Hunter. And we don't have to play it on a 3DS... that's enough to get me on board.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

@Tsurii
Huh... there were some poison puddles around the forest that both of you could've stepped in.

I know I was using one of the weapons though and I accidentally poisoned him without realizing it. There's also that Pukei-Pukei monster that shows up and spits poison. But you would've known if he spit at you.

Idk. Probably poison puddles then. Because I know poisoning is not one of his attacks.

Haru17

More beta thoughts: The wall jump attacks are all really well done. In fact, Insect Glaive can just stick into a wall like Mario and fling off back into an aerial combo.

The slide attacks are some of the coolest [removed] I've done in a video game and feel great. However, they can be inconsistent in how soon you can perform them when sliding. Sliding itself can feel confusing, with certain diagonal paths not allowing it while others have a tiny little patch where you can slide.

Some weapons have unique wall jump attacks, some slide attacks, and some unsheathed wall jump attacks. However, a lot of weapons just use their standard aerial attack, so it can feel incomplete. I hope a complete set of slide and wall jump abilities are added in the Ultimate release.

World's satisfying hit feedback can't be overstated. That's perhaps why mounted finishers and the Switch Axe's zero sum discharge feel so blah to me. It's probably only bugging me because you can't directly control your hunter's positioning or aim during a mounted finisher, but I don't know why we still can't juat cling onto a medium sized monster's hide and use one or two attack animations.

Edited on by Octane

Namco

I like the bow more with every new Monster Hunter. It's too bad they removed the awesome looking back roll charge shot. But with this game you have the charging sidestep so now you can dodge and charge in every direction. Which seems cool but I continuously lack the stamina :/ Is it just me or does it deplete and regenerate faster than ever before?

Also Arc Shot doesn't work in caves anymore, makes sense I guess...

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

Haru17

The demon mode backwards dodge is like the most anime thing I've ever seen. All of the backwards roll animations are just beautiful to watch. Insect Glaive in particular got an absolute ton of love aesthetically.

CrazedCavalier

Well, the Xbox market place has the game's size listed:
13 gigabytes.

...Not bad. A lot smaller than most were expecting.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

Haru17

That's surprisingly small, although it could just be a misplaced beta download. The PS4 beta was 5 gb with roughly 2/5 of the monsters and areas, so the math works, but I was anticipating World to be another 50 gb monster.

JaxonH

My brother came over this Christmas and I showed him MH World. His response was "eh... it looks just like MH always did, except on a powerful console".

And while I did point out the environments were bigger and more detailed and all that, when you boil it all down he's essentially right. It's just Monster Hunter with better looking graphics and bigger maps. It's not like it's a huge sprawling open world or anything. And even despite the story, the amount of voiced dialogue is probably still small compared to most games.

So I can definitely believe it. Especially if there's only 4-5 maps in the game.

Haru17

I don't think Monster Hunter ever had prerendered cutscenes outside of the CG openings and a couple scattered ones in the main story (Gore Magala molting, etc). The cutscenes use your character's armor and appearance, so they have to be processed live to some extent.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic