Other Gaming Forum

Topic: Minecraft Discussion

Showing 101 to 120 of 160

AuthorMessage

CommanderAudio

101. Posted:

TwilightPoint wrote:

@Nintengirl Happy to hear you have A Mac. I wish I could afford one.
Here is something I've found.

"Section 1: Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) users read this first, Mac OS 10.6 users skip to section 2
NOTE: I am pretty sure that if you are on a PPC Mac this will not work, because PPC Macs cannot install Java 1.6 only Java 1.5.0_26

First make sure that you have Java 6 installed, you can see your java versions in the “Java Preferences” app found in the Utilities folder.
If you don’t have it installed, run software update to bring to up to speed in the latest updates.
While you have the ”Java Preferences” app open make sure that Java 6 is at the top in the two lists. If not, drag it to the top.

Find your Minecraft application (Also called the Minecraft Launcher). Right click it and choose show package contents.
Navigate into the contents folder and open the Info.plist with TextEdit.
Find these lines and change the 1.5+ to 1.6+, save it and close TextEdit.
JVMVersion
1.5+

After doing that, go to the Finder and press command+shift+g and past in this path /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MacOS

Once you’re in the folder you should see a file named “JavaApplicationStub”, copy that to the Mac OS folder in the Minecraft app ( Minecraft.app>”Right click and Show Package Contents”>Contents>MacOS )

Yay! Your mods should now be able to work! Next step is to install them!

Section 2 is a rewritten version of a post in the MC Forums.
via Mac 10.5 and modding – Minecraft Forums.

Section 2: Installing the mods into the minecraft.jar file.

Find the minecraft.jar file. It is located at /Users/####/Library/Application Support/minecraft/bin/
Open the minecraft.jar using the Archive Utility (Right click>Open With>Archive Utility).
A folder should now appear in the bin folder called “minecraft”, it will have lots of .class files in it.
Drop the .class files that came with the mod into this folder, then find and delete the META_INF folder.
Select all the files in the “minecraft” folder, right click and choose “Compress XXX items”. (If you select the “minecraft” folder instead of it’s contents when compressing, minecraft will not work!)
It will make a .zip file called “Archive.zip”, move it into the bin folder. Rename the mincraft.jar file to mincraft.old.jar, and rename the “Archive.zip” to minecraft.jar. Finder will ask you if you really want to change the extension to .jar, choose change.
Now your mods should be installed and working, and you can delete the “minecraft” folder that contains the .class files since it isn’t needed anymore.
Some mods also require that you put their support files in the /Users/####/Library/Application Support/minecraft/mods folder, check your downloaded mod for a “mods” folder and move it’s contents to the /Users/####/Library/Application Support/minecraft/mods folder.

Section 3: Alternate method of installing mods

Find the minecraft.jar file. It is located at /Users/####/Library/Application Support/minecraft/bin/
Open the minecraft.jar using the Archive Utility (Right click>Open With>Archive Utility).
A folder should now appear in the bin folder called “minecraft”, it will have lots of .class files in it.
Drop the .class files that came with the mod into this folder, then find and delete the META_INF folder.
Now instead of compressing the folders contents as is done above, simply rename the “minecraft” folder with the .class files to minecraft.jar
Downside to this method is that minecraft balks when a trying to install a update, it is looking for a real .jar file and only finds a folder. Strangely the game itself works fine, just updating doesn’t.
So for updates, you just need to deleted the whole bin folder and start up the launcher which will then download the updated files when using this method.

Section 4: Finish

Your mods should now be installed and working, if not it is very likely that you made an error when re-compressing the mincraft folder contents.
If the mods don’t work or Minecraft doesn’t even get to the game menu, delete the minecraft.jar file, rename the minecraft.old.jar to minecraft.jar and try again. First time I did this, it took me several tries before I got it right.

Another Way of Doing It.

Commenter Peter points out that you can also do this through the command line.

There is a third method for opening the minecraft.jar file and in my opinion it is the easiest by far.

Open terminal and copy/past this code section,
cd ~
mkdir mctmp
cd mctmp
jar xf ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar

now in users there is a folder called MCTMP (this is the minecraft.jar file) pass (move) your .class files from the downloaded mod into that folder, then copy/paste this code section into terminal:
NOTE: do NOT delete the the META_INF folder. the code will do it for you.

rm META-INF/MOJANG_C.*
jar uf ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar ./
cd ..
rm -rf mctmp

Now boot up minecraft and have fun playing!"

Source: http://mcyukon.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/modding-minecraft-in-...

Understood that all perfectly. Sort of. Not really. Not at all.
P.S I added you onto my 3DS friend list. Please add me back. FC in signature

Fire is more fun with friends, kids!
Formerly known as PikminMonster
Choose Your Own Adventure!
3DS FC:4554-0106-9407
Let me know if you add me, but PLEASE DON'T send me spam in Swapnote/Letter Box, or M-Rated Status Messages or Swapnotes.

AuthorMessage

Nintengirl

102. Posted:

It's still not working. D:
Whenever I compress the files the archive.zip doesn't show up. And I have no idea how to do terminal.
Why are computers so confusing???

3DS Friend Code: 0989-1789-0282 Just tell me if you wanna swap codes. (Especially if you plan on getting AC: NL!)
NNID: Lady_Ghirahim You need to add me through your friend list, though.
Check out my Tumblr: http://the-unsolvable-riddle.tumblr.com/

AuthorMessage

Portista

103. Posted:

I have a mac, so I can tell you what to do. I only know how to install one mod, zombe mod, it includes: fly, build, cheat, compass, and other stuff.

Step 1: TURN MINECRAFT OFF!!! Download the modpack here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/91055-v125-zombes-modpack...

Step 2: Open the .zip, then open the folder. You can minimize that window for now.

Step 3: Open up Terminal, then paste this code:
cd ~
mkdir mctmp
cd mctmp
jar xf ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar (Then hit enter)

Step 4: Open a new finder window, then you will see a new folder called mctmp. Open it.

Step 5: Go to your zombe window, then open classes. Copy all of the stuff inside. Keep the window minimized.

Step 6: Open mctmp again, then paste all the previous things you copied. You may go ahead and close mctmp.

Step 7: Open Terminal again, then paste this code (again hit enter afterwards):
rm META-INF/MOJANG_C.*
jar uf ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar ./
cd ..
rm -rf mctmp

Step 8: Now mctmp should disappear. In finder, there is a little home sign on the left. Open it.

Step 9: In it, open Library. Then in library, open Application Support. In there, you will find .minecraft. Open it.

Step 10: Then create a new folder called mods. In it, create a folder called zombe.

Step 11: Go back to the zombe finder window, and open config. Copy all the stuff in it.

Step 12: Paste them into the zombe folder in the .minecraft. Now open the config.txt.

Step 13: Now, in front of each part of it, there is a #. To use each certain mod delete the #, and then you have it. Save after choosing your mods.

Step 14: Close everything, and open minecraft.

Step 15: HAVE FUN!!!! :D

Monster Hunter for the win!!!!! Check out my music album at https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fifteen-ep/id589290511

AuthorMessage

Portista

104. Posted:

For a helpful video, here u go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgVe5_xi78c

Edited on by Portista

Monster Hunter for the win!!!!! Check out my music album at https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fifteen-ep/id589290511

AuthorMessage

Nintengirl

105. Posted:

Oh man. Just tried installing again. Messed up my game. Had to unistall and re install. Thankfully I didn't really care about the worlds on it. I think I'll just wait and ask one of my friends or something.

EDIT: After trial and error I finally did it! YAY! But can you have 2 mods at once? And is the installation process the same?

Edited on by Nintengirl

3DS Friend Code: 0989-1789-0282 Just tell me if you wanna swap codes. (Especially if you plan on getting AC: NL!)

AuthorMessage

Magi

106. Posted:

Played Minecraft on Xbox pretty extensively over the weekend. My son was on his xbox and my daughter and I played split-screen on mine. This is my first experience with this game and I might already be addicted. x.x

Currently own: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, iPad, PC's, WP7 Phone and a Vita. Who you callin' a fanboy?!
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" -The Joker

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

107. Posted:

@Magi

My brother stayed up till 5AM the first day he got it with our cousins online... Damn, when I first got it, I never stood up that late even though I immediately fell in love and was hooked.

Guess it's a break from those action/shooter/sports games he always plays and finally discovered something "new" and "fresh" for him.

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

Magi

108. Posted:

L4DYK0M1C wrote:

@Magi

My brother stayed up till 5AM the first day he got it with our cousins online... Damn, when I first got it, I never stood up that late even though I immediately fell in love and was hooked.

Guess it's a break from those action/shooter/sports games he always plays and finally discovered something "new" and "fresh" for him.

Staying up that late has been kicking my butt all week. I'm too old for this craziness. lol

Currently own: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, iPad, PC's, WP7 Phone and a Vita. Who you callin' a fanboy?!

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

109. Posted:

I myself need to get to bed at 12AM.. Have to stop sleeping at 3AM x_x;

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

Nintengirl

110. Posted:

Anybody have servers I could join?

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

111. Posted:

Don't have a gaming PC but plans to pick the 360 game up next week.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

112. Posted:

Nintengirl wrote:

Anybody have servers I could join?

Try these:
98.141.220.206:25565 Ogregamers.com - Faction, Friendly PvP server

survival.beyondminecraft.net - A good developed server... But it's set on "Hard"...

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

Magi

113. Posted:

L4DYK0M1C wrote:

survival.beyondminecraft.net - A good developed server... But it's set on "Hard"...

How does the difficulty affect the game? More enemies? Tougher enemies? Takes longer to mine? I've been playing the Xbox version on Easy and it's plenty stressful enough.

I'm playing the "Gargamel" seed and got lost in the biggest bunch of caverns I've seen yet. They were pretty cool though. It had a couple of lava flows and one "lava fall" that came out of the ceiling in the middle of a cavern. I also spotted a green cube-shaped slimey thing that I've never seen before but it was surrounded by a few Creepers. I was too full of stuff to even consider going near it for fear of losing everything.

Edited on by Magi

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

114. Posted:

@Magi

For one, the monsters hit harder. Two, the player will get hungry a bit faster and will eventually die if they don't eat. And third, Zombies are able to bust down wooden doors.

Oh, and creepers will not cancel explosion "easily" so it makes it harder to dodge. This applies to the PC/Mac version though. I'm assuming the 360 version the monsters just hit hard.

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

Portista

115. Posted:

Here is a pretty cool website, even though it is kinda ripping off: http://freeminecraftxbox.com/index.php?ref=16970

AuthorMessage

Magi

116. Posted:

L4DYK0M1C wrote:

Oh, and creepers will not cancel explosion "easily" so it makes it harder to dodge. This applies to the PC/Mac version though. I'm assuming the 360 version the monsters just hit hard.

[/div]

I hate Creepers so much. I found an island in the top right of my map that I dubbed "Monster Island". I don't know what the heck is going on, but the bad guy spawns here are ridiculous. Sadly, it's the same location I chose to build my castle. big walls, 4 towers, a keep, walkways, a proper castle. I would get anywhere from 5-9 Creepers at my walls every night (plus the obligatory crowd of skeletons, zombies, and spiders. It got to where I was spending so much time rebuilding destroyed sections I had to add a lava moat around the entire castle. When that didn't seem to help much, I just put it on Peaceful. I'll switch it back when I get it finished I guess. :)

I haven't figured out the timing with the explosions and I keep getting myself blown up. Now I just run screaming everytime I see one of those lil green things.

AuthorMessage

FOREST_RANGER

117. Posted:

Sounds silly, but I'll probably buy both the 360 version and PC version after playing the copy my sister bought on her Xbox. I want to get the 360 version so I could play with some friends I went to school with.

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

118. Posted:

Magi wrote:

L4DYK0M1C wrote:

[/div]

[/div]

I hate Creepers so much. I found an island in the top right of my map that I dubbed "Monster Island". I don't know what the heck is going on, but the bad guy spawns here are ridiculous. Sadly, it's the same location I chose to build my castle. big walls, 4 towers, a keep, walkways, a proper castle. I would get anywhere from 5-9 Creepers at my walls every night (plus the obligatory crowd of skeletons, zombies, and spiders. It got to where I was spending so much time rebuilding destroyed sections I had to add a lava moat around the entire castle. When that didn't seem to help much, I just put it on Peaceful. I'll switch it back when I get it finished I guess. :)

I haven't figured out the timing with the explosions and I keep getting myself blown up. Now I just run screaming everytime I see one of those lil green things.

Yeah, they can be a pain especially if there's a bunch of them or you're mining your own business (see what I did there?).

Attacking them cancels their explosion, so it's good to do that but "jump back" or walk away from them and keep your distance. They also drop gun powder- great for making TNTs.

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

Drawdler

119. Posted:

I got Minecraft a couple weeks ago and I finally got to set it to lower graphics so I can actually play at home without lag. Anyway, what I wanted to ask was, I already have a good home on a cliff. It doesn't have a bed yet, but it's right next to the spawn point, so that doesn't matter. It's also right next to a mine, and I'm at the point where I'd like to start mining, but I HATE Skeletons. I know I can set torches to make them stop spawning, but in the off chance I run into one that's been there for a while, what should I do? I'd make a Bow with some Arrows, but I hardly ever see Spiders so I can't get string. I'm on Normal difficulty on the PC version if this helps.

#1 YOSHI HATER on Nintendo Life

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | (Currently Inactive) Backloggery | Disney Infinity Fans | Ghostroaster | Nintendo Friends

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

120. Posted:

Nibelilt wrote:

I got Minecraft a couple weeks ago and I finally got to set it to lower graphics so I can actually play at home without lag. Anyway, what I wanted to ask was, I already have a good home on a cliff. It doesn't have a bed yet, but it's right next to the spawn point, so that doesn't matter. It's also right next to a mine, and I'm at the point where I'd like to start mining, but I HATE Skeletons. I know I can set torches to make them stop spawning, but in the off chance I run into one that's been there for a while, what should I do? I'd make a Bow with some Arrows, but I hardly ever see Spiders so I can't get string. I'm on Normal difficulty on the PC version if this helps.

Just stock up on meat/fish/bread/watermelons to keep your stamina up and just charge at skeletons with a stone sword. Torches don't have the best lighting to keep skeletons from spawning. The next best thing are jack-o-lanterns that have a larger lighting radius. You should make some and have them around your house for the best lighting.

komicturtle