Forums

Topic: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Posts 161 to 180 of 221

6ch6ris6

Haru17 wrote:

That was such ape escape; that was such is a ps1 game! I literally just spent 2 hours doing the first mission where you encounter a significant, and large, enemy (no spoils) and it FAILED the entire mission because I stepped outside the arbitrary boundary. How utterly dumb is that? Trying to escape from impending death and it doesn't let you cross an invisible boundary! No, by all means, stay close to the enemy camp, Snake! Why don't you stand behind things and hope they don't turn around; it's all about hiding right under their noses.

no idea what you're talking about. i had no problems in the first mission. i guess you were just very unlucky

Edited on by Eel

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

AbsolutSnake

I'm loving this game. I was a little concerned how this game was presented, which looked like a Japanese Dev trying to create their version of a open world action game by watching my little brother play. So I decided to give it a crack for 3-4hrs and was so just in awe with the size and depth and realised this is exactly what Kojima's vision was all along. You got to think hard about how you go in to each mission with intel given... I sometimes still play this like previous MGS and forget that i can call air support, distract or blow up a nearby post making their soldiers come down for support while i sneakingly go to the main base and clear it with ease... Still unsure about the silent protagonist tho...

AbsolutSnake

Peek-a-boo

banacheck wrote:

Are we even playing the same game? The hospital opening is one hell of a opening, and now you should also understand why a certain person is called Quiet.

I just prefer the intro/beginning of all the prior Metal Gear games; it does not necessarily mean the one in this is bad, just that it isn't quite as memorable as the past titles. I also got a bit fed up of the handholding nature of it, and the surprisingly slow first fifteen, twenty minutes that felt like an hour.

Enjoying the game an awful lot now though; only just finished the 'Honey Bees' mission, which was quite intense!

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

6ch6ris6 wrote:

no idea what you're talking about. i had no problems in the first mission. i guess you were just very unlucky

No, not the first mission, but rather the first mission where you fight something big.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haru17

AbsolutSnake wrote:

Still unsure about the silent protagonist tho...

Lol, we need a fan-consensus to call this version of Big Boss "Quiet Snake."

Gamer83

@Haru17:
Would have to go with 'Silent Snake' since there's already a character in the game named Quiet. Need to avoid any possible confusion, you know gamers these days.

Gamer83

Peek-a-boo

Kiefer Sutherland was - and still is - a poor choice to play Big Boss, although Hayter was really hamming it up in Metal Gear Solid 4 so, neither are/were a good choice anyway.

It's so strange to have Ocelot rambling on and on only for Big Boss to respond by saying 'Kaz' or 'yes (or no)' in a gravelly/hoarse voice; doesn't suit the character at all.

I like listening to the cassette tapes as Big Boss really does talk in those! Only annoyance is that they can be interrupted from time to time, especially out in the (open) world.

As strange as this sounds, this game is very anti-Metal Gear in places, yet because the gameplay is so good, you don't seem to mind the direction that the fifth game has taken.

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

Gamer83 wrote:

Would have to go with 'Silent Snake' since there's already a character in the game named Quiet. Need to avoid any possible confusion, you know gamers these days.

That was the joke...

Haru17

Peek-a-boo wrote:

As strange as this sounds, this game is very anti-Metal Gear in places, yet because the gameplay is so good, you don't seem to mind the direction that the fifth game has taken.

Welcome to open world game design 101; it throws a wrench in everything.

DanMan82

Anybody here getting error 10003 when trying to connect online?

"If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome."- Michael Jordan
“I am thankful for all of those who said NO to me. Its because of them I’m doing it myself.” – ?????

6ch6ris6

not sure what numbers i got but there were some heavy server issues within the first days of release. it should work better by now though. dont forget to download your mgs5 ground zeroes data to get some new staff members for mother base ! (yes you need internet for that. dont ask me why

so i have been playing this game for 16hours by now and i have only completed it for 5%.
i think i have completed more side-ops than main missions. the game is so much fun. but it is also really hard in the beginning, because you dont have much items to play around with.

Edited on by 6ch6ris6

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Peek-a-boo

Just finished mission ten and have done all of the available nearby side-ops too and I think I need to take a break as the main missions and side-ops are blurring themselves together, meaning it becomes slightly repetitive, although I am trying my best to mix things up a little bit.

I always land my helicopter at 06:00 as the lighting and sunshine makes the world looks eerily realistic; the rocks look so good!

Think I will play Grow Home and Tearaway Unfolded in the coming days and go back to this next week some time, to avoid further repetition. Just reached 12% completion earlier on, which is a nice rounded number to walk away from (for the time being).

I kind of miss having 'proper' contained boss fights by the way. They are good fun, but not overly memorable compared to past games.

Peek-a-boo

GrizzlyArctos

So far I'm about 50-60 hours in, at about 50% completion and only just reached chapter 2... This game is huge.

Edited on by GrizzlyArctos

Yes, I like bears.

6ch6ris6

GrizzlyArctos wrote:

So far I'm about 50-60 hours in, at about 50% completion and only just reached chapter 2... This game is huge.

chapter 2???
isnt chapter 2 the part with the first mission in afgahnistan? what the hell have you done in 50 hours then??

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

GrizzlyArctos

@6ch6ris6: No, much further than that. I think that's episode 2 rather than chapter 2. I don't want to say too much in case of spoilers, but you'll see what I mean when you reach that point.

Yes, I like bears.

Shy_Guy

I'm thinking about getting this game on the PS3,but should I get Ground Zero first? Is the PS3 version somewhat the same as the PS4?

Shy_Guy

Nintendo Network ID: Sparty84 | Twitter:

GrizzlyArctos

@Shy_Guy: Ground Zeroes sets up the story for Phantom Pain so it's worth playing through first, but be warned it only lasts an hour or two, so find a cheap copy. As for PS3 vs PS4, the only differences I can find are graphics and frame rates, so no big difference.

Yes, I like bears.

Dezzy

Is it true that the character Quiet has to be nearly naked because she uses photosynthesis? That's one of my all time favourite made up reasons for lewdness.

Anyway, I just had to repost this comment I saw on giantbomb for the giggle factor:

"The photosynthesis part is completely bonkers btw. The avg photosynthetic rate of a c3* plant circa. 15 micromol CO2/m^2/sec**.

The "leaf area" of Quiet is her skin so ca. 16000 cm^2*** if she is lying prone sniping is only half of that active so 8000 cm^2 or 0,8m^2 if we make sure the conditions are ideal in therms of available water, temperature don't exceed optimum**** ignoring photorespiration etc and say there are 12hours = 43200 seconds of active photosynthesis. can we calculate the production.

15*0,8*43200 = 518400 micromoles or 0,5184 moles CO2 used

if we then use this formula:

6H2O + 6CO2 + energy → C6H12O6 + 6O2

and use the Molar mass of C6H12O6 = 180.15588 g/mol can we calculate that quiet is producing 93.39 grams of sugar or 355,6 kcal a day, a far cry from the 2000 needed. Even if her entire area somehow was active would she only produce 187 grams or 711,3 kcal while still staving to death.

She would have to increase her photosynthetic rate to 43 co2 mikromol/m2/sec**** way beyond the limit of even the most efficient plants. There is also the problem of where she is getting enough macro and micro nutrients without a root system.

But heynanomachines magical parasites son I guess."

Edited on by Eel

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

6ch6ris6

@Dezzy: damn, dezzy! beware the spoilers !!!! >

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic