Forums

Topic: Kinect $149.99 released November 4th 2010.

Posts 1 to 20 of 40

Adam

This just in: Too expensive.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

SuperMarioFan96

The price is likely true because MANY online retailers have it at this price. Unless it gets bundled with a game (unlikely), this is too expensive.

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

Magi

A motion-sensing controller that lets 4 people (i think) play simultaneously and has video and voice capabilities? I'll agree that just the TERM "Microsoft" is oftentimes synonymous with "expensive", but I feel this thing is priced well.

Edited on by Magi

Magi

Adam

Even if it is bundled with a game, it'll just be K'nex Sports or something like that that no one cares about.

Come on, friends,

BrazCanaMan

@Adam
Kinda like how no one cared about Wii Sports?

Considering its new hardware and software I think it's reasonably priced, especially if it comes bundled with a game or something XBLA-ish, like a redeemable code.

Edited on by BrazCanaMan

Now playing:
(Wii - DJ Hero 2) (WiiWare / VC - -- / --)
(Game Cube - Second Sight) (DS / GBA - Eragon / --)
(Xbox360 - Burnout Paradise) (XBLA / XBIG - Puzzle Quest / --)
Wii FC - 2346 1195 9083 7926
XBOX360 Gamertag - BrazCanMan

Adam

I think you have "no one" confused with "everyone." Wii Sports was a phenomenon. As if all those people who already have Wii Sports are going to rush out of their homes to spend $150 on a clone.

Come on, friends,

BrazCanaMan

@Adam
I forgot sarcasm doesn't work on forums. Next time I'll put a (sarcasm) alert on my post

@Roopa132
Thank you! I was hoping someone would get it.

Edited on by BrazCanaMan

Now playing:

Adam

No, it was obviously sarcasm, but what the point of the sarcasm was, I'm still lost on, hence the response. Seemed like you were implying that since everyone cared about Wii Sports, they'd likely care about Microsoft's clone, but I don't see people spending $150 for a knock-off of a game they've been playing for four years.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Magi

How many of those people who were enthralled with "Wii Sports" have a 360? Maybe this will be an introduction to the genre for a lot of folks that don't have both consoles. Maybe more will prefer playing Kinect Sports because 4 people can play simultaneously without the need to spend ($40 + $20) x 4. Or in the case of Wii Sports Resort, ($40 + $20 + $20) x 4. Some people might like not having to think about hurling nintendo controllers through their $1800.00 3d television (zing!).

At any rate, I think the price is fair. Sure "less expensive" is always better, but as I've stated above I think the price is fair.

Magi

theblackdragon

@Adam: there's no way Wii Sports would've been such a phenomenon had it not been bundled with the Wii. It's decent enough as something to show what the console can do gameplay-wise (first with just the Wii, then WSR with the M+), but on its own... there are more interesting games to play, really.

i do agree with you that a sports game or a lame no-pedal racer will not be a draw to K'nex, though. even if people don't own a Wii, they've had more than enough chance to try one out for themselves to see what motion controls can be like. i think it's gonna be a 'been there, done that, what else have you got?' kind of thing. they'd have to bundle it with the fitness game or the dance game they showed during their conference to really get people interested in it for its games rather than its sheer novelty.

@Magi: funny that you bring up the thrown controllers... lol, i keep thinking some moron is gonna run or jump into their TV and knock it over on accident during a game like that hurdle-jumping race they showed, or even that adventure game with the coins to collect. whatever happens, i certainly hope they youtube it so we can all watch and laugh :3

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Adam

You do not need four nunchuks or four M+'s. Many games just need Wii Remote. 4P games especially tend to be designed this way for that reason. And considering how many people own Wiis, chances are if you have four people over, one of them has their own controllers.

For K'nex however, you have no cheap option. If you plan to play only one or two players most of the time, you're still paying the same full price. And considering how 360 constantly emphasizes online over local play, I think this likely accounts for a lot of 360 owners. I, for instance, would only be interested for Child of Eden, which so far looks like a single-player game, though I could be wrong.

Edit: TBD, it sure sold like hot cakes in Japan. And I don't even know if hot cakes are all that popular there, which makes it all the more impressive. Everyone was talking about Wii Sports for nearly a year. It would have sold very well either way. You and I think there are better games to play, but the people raving about it were mostly people who hadn't played video games in a long time, if ever.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

BrazCanaMan

I was going to reply, but Magi said it all... Also, how do you know it's a complete knockoff? I don't remember soccer or track and field in Wii Sports plus the full body aspect makes it more interactive. I also think that it being developed by Rare will turn some heads. And how do you know it won't be as much of a success if it is bundled with the hardware? Like TBD said, Wii Sports wouldn't have done so well as a stand alone game. But back on the pricing thing... if you crunch the numbers (broken TV included, LOL) the Kinect is much cheaper!

Edited on by BrazCanaMan

Now playing:

theblackdragon

@Adam: hotcakes probably wouldn't be super-popular, but okonomiyaki, perhaps. :3 either way, those people who hadn't played video games in a long time or ever have all come out from under their rocks to try the Wii. they're gonna look at K'nex and wonder what's so great about it if it's still doing what the Wii's already done game-wise.

@Braz: how is K'nex much cheaper? i think i missed that part of the price-of-new-360+price-of-new-peripheral+price-of-games-that-don't-suck equation...

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER

Adam

Well, no, of course I don't know, haven't checked my scrye waters yet, haha. Just saying I don't think it'll happen. My guess is that, in the average consumer eye, it'll appear an expensive knock-off. We'll see soon enough, certainly!

Edit: Okonomiyaki... I have no idea what this is, but it looks weird... and kind of scary.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

BrazCanaMan

@TBD
I was including the broken TV impaled by Wiimote...

Edited on by BrazCanaMan

Now playing:

theblackdragon

lol Braz, i'm still waiting on people running into their TVs. methinks any ER visits and/or hospital stays will jack that price up to where the Wii is a freakin' steal in comparison

BEST THREAD EVER

BrazCanaMan

Kinect: $150
New "better" xbox360: $300
Doing a hurdle jump, crashing into your big flat screen TV, going to the emergency room and getting it all on YouTube: Priceless

I can't wait for that, actually. I loved the Wiimotes flying at TV videos. LOL

Edited on by BrazCanaMan

Now playing:

Adam

Wow, I am a bit more optimistic than that about my fellow gamers, but that would be hilarious. I think it'd be more likely to jump up and get hit in the head by a ceiling fan, haha.

Come on, friends,

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.