Forums

Topic: Is it really necessary to have the rating on the front of the box?

Posts 41 to 55 of 55

retired_account

Honestly I like the ESRB rating box. It looks kinda cool, lol.

retired_account

Meta-Rift

I think it would be inconvenient to remove it from the front. For example, if a parent is shopping for a little kid, they know which games to rule out at a glance.

Meta-Rift

DrDaisy

I think having the ratings printed on the wrapping or a removable sticker would be best, but there's probably some weird reason why that's a bad idea too. If I was a manager at a store, I would immediately fire any employees who switches rating labels on the games. I would also have a catalog stating what each game is rated in case a young customer tried to pull a fast one.

Edited on by DrDaisy

DrDaisy

rolLTheDice

Right, Daisy, i'd say it would be too impractible then. And i guess it's cheaper to just print them anyway.

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

JTC-Pingas

Seeing as how alot of kids buy Call of Duty, what's the point of having ratings on the box? (kids these days )

JTC-Pingas

komicturtle

I miss the KA rating.

Earthbound was one of them. Also, I remember some of the ratings being 'fuzzy' and regular bold. Never knew what that was about though.

Edited on by komicturtle

komicturtle

SpentAllMyTokens

@DrDaisy
The biggest issue with that would be used games sales. If the rating is only on a wrapper torn off if the package is open, people shopping for used games wouldn't be able to conveniently check it.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

komicturtle

Token_Girl wrote:

@DrDaisy
The biggest issue with that would be used games sales. If the rating is only on a wrapper torn off if the package is open, people shopping for used games wouldn't be able to conveniently check it.

Don't forget- ratings are also on game discs and DS/3DS cards.

komicturtle

HolyMackerel

Of course, it's of the utmost importance!

Untitled

But in seriousness, the ESRB has a good system which allows for some self-policing in the games industry and helps parents who are aware of the rating system. If game stores insist on adhering to the ratings then all the better. The front of the box is the most visible place for the rating, so there can be no disputes if a parent raises concerns over a game after buying it.

And, as others have pointed out, at least ESRB's rating boxes don't take up large parts of the cover art. And they're pretty slick too, imo.

Edited on by HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel

Ravage

Cartoon violence and mischief? Anything else? Sounds fairly E-rated to me.

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.

HolyMackerel

@Dragoon The review process is not exhaustive and it's entirely voluntary. The ESRB review panel doesn't play through the entire game (or even a complete version of the game). Publishers fill out information about the game and send relevant content to the ESRB through videos or playable game demos. Apparently the reviewers are well-trained for content review. If Nintendo presented Majora's Mask as totally appropriate for kids and the ESRB panel didn't see anything in the materials they sent to contradict that, that's how it passed with an E rating.

It also explains how the GTA San Andreas "Hot Coffee" mod got through the system, but that event helped to change ESRB's review process for the better too.

HolyMackerel

Hokori

CERO is better IMHO

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

JebbyDeringer

I agree with the OP. While I'm not going to lose my temper over it I still think excessive logos are an eyesore and unnecessary. There's always those people that say suck it up, and it's the game that is important. These people obviously have no attention to detail. Sure the game is why you are buying it but there is no harm in striving for perfection. It's the same "Good Enough" attitude that makes crappy video games. If things like this don't bother you fine, but don't chime in on it, turn a blind eye.

JebbyDeringer

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.