Other Gaming Forum

Topic: I'm making an entire RPG in a day.

Showing 121 to 133 of 133

AuthorMessage

VGguy49

121. Posted:

Looks Awesome! Will you have a download for the finished product?

I am a Nintendo nerd who loves Zelda and Sonic. I also do LPs on Youtube!

Nintendo Network ID: VGguy49

AuthorMessage

SomeBitTripFan

122. Posted:

@SwerdMurd: I looked at the program you've been using to make Maiden Adai's music. It was overwhelming for me. Are there any programs that you know of are easy to use, but still allow for some creative freedom? I've been wanting to make a few chiptunes since I listened to your works, but am not experienced in actually making music in a program.

Just Someloggery
Current Projects: Beloved Titan
On the Back Burner: The Machine, Ascending Entity, Antumbra, Between Two Causes, Heaven's Point, Binary, A Pixel and a Dot, Base O-70, A Wakeful Purgatory
A Vacation is a Click Away!
My Avatar: Where Doge Coin is Going
Where's the Poetry? I'm lazy.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

AuthorMessage

Gioku

123. Posted:

@SomeBitTripFan: I've played around with FamiTracker before, and was actually able to make some stuff with it! I'm no musician, though, so the things that I make with it will never be all that good... but the fact that I was able to use it and make some music says a lot about its accessibility. :)

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Gioku on Youtube | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku

AuthorMessage

SomeBitTripFan

124. Posted:

@Gioku: Yeah, I've just started fiddling with it. Creating the instrument I'm looking for is going to be a pain, but yeah, it seemed to make a good bit more since. I randomly had a twenty-six second long medley (or whatever you call it) come into my head yesterday. I really want to expand on it. If I can get it to work, I'll probably actually start making a game for it to be in.

Just Someloggery
On the Back Burner: The Machine, Ascending Entity, Antumbra, Between Two Causes, Heaven's Point, Binary, A Pixel and a Dot, Base O-70, A Wakeful Purgatory

AuthorMessage

Gioku

125. Posted:

@SomeBitTripFan: Also, watch out for the fact that you can only have 255 notes; it was made to emulate music on the NES, so 255's the maximum. I would think that you could easily get around it, though, by fusing two files together.

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Gioku on Youtube | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku

AuthorMessage

SwerdMurd

126. Posted:

VGguy49 wrote:

Looks Awesome! Will you have a download for the finished product?

Yessir. It'll be all types of free. WOO! I'll link the splashpage with the download once it's available - I'll probably drop some type of demo version in the coming days unless I get done sooner than anticipated. Finished sound completely - 2 more songs and sound is done. That's tomorrow's goal!

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

@SwerdMurd: I looked at the program you've been using to make Maiden Adai's music. It was overwhelming for me. Are there any programs that you know of are easy to use, but still allow for some creative freedom? I've been wanting to make a few chiptunes since I listened to your works, but am not experienced in actually making music in a program.

If you want to make any sort of official chiptune (that sounds properly chiptuney) this is really the only way to go. I'm personally not a huge fan of Famitracker - more because I'm not as used to the interface than any technical issues. That and it doesn't output in a format I can use for my games, so it kind of defeats the purpose (I'd have to mp3 the Famitracker songs to get them to play, and that would destroy the whole low-filesize thing).

I'd be happy to toss you a few of my songs if you want to use them as tutorials of sorts - I'll toss you an NES style song and a "has some real instruments" song. I'm about to break for the night, but I'll upload / link them tomorrow.

@Gioku - there are a lot of weird restrictions to emulate. Technically, since sound effects are playing on the same channels, the note limit (which really just requires cycling if I recall correctly) is even more obtuse to work with. Not only do sound effects "mute" the channels they use when the game plays them, they also tend to be a lot more demanding per-line than music (lots more notes, pitch bends, etc.) and can cause performance issues.

While I am targeting NES style (which is itself different from Gameboy in a few key ways) music, and NES-ish sound, I'm by no means faithfully emulating it to any sort of indistinguishable degree.

Cool that you've messed around w/ fami! It's a pretty powerful tracker when you get used to it - I really miss the ability to set up instrument envelopes (in NES spec) that can run alongside the song speed. I have to do all my own dynamics, at songs speed, in modplug tracker. That's why you don't hear super-quick arpeggio instruments and the like - setting anything like that up in modplug wouldn't be to-spec anymore since it's whole method of instrument / sample handling is wave file based, not sound-gen based.

-Swerd Murd

Owner of VINTAGE Games. http://www.vintagegames.us

AuthorMessage

SomeBitTripFan

127. Posted:

@SwerdMurd: I'll take you up on that. Thank you. I'll try and get around the learning curve of it. I'm only looking for it to have a general NES sound to it, although the instrument I imagined for it was more-so 16-bit. My primary inspirations that influenced it were the Sonic 3 Boss Theme, Final Fantasy 7 Boss Theme, and one more that I can't remember off the top of my head. Can I make instruments in FamiTracker and use them in OpenMPT (when it comes to actual files in a computer, someone who types with their pointer fingers is probably more knowledgeable) or is there a way to make instruments in OpenMPT?

@Gioku: Well that stinks. I guess I'll use FamiTracker to get used to music making equipment then transfer to OpenMPT.

Just Someloggery

AuthorMessage

SwerdMurd

128. Posted:

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

I'm only looking for it to have a general NES sound to it, although the instrument I imagined for it was more-so 16-bit. My primary inspirations that influenced it were the Sonic 3 Boss Theme, Final Fantasy 7 Boss Theme, and one more that I can't remember off the top of my head. Can I make instruments in FamiTracker and use them in OpenMPT (when it comes to actual files in a computer

They're not exactly the same. It's tough to explain succinctly... So I'll try real quick.

In Famitracker, samples are built in. You pick a soundboard (2A04 - US Nintendo style; VR6 - Japanese Famicom, etc.) - and then you make instruments to affect how they sound. Using the US Nintendo as an example, there are 4 distinct sonic waveforms, 1 percussion "noise" waveform, and a PCM channel that essentially plays wave files. An instrument would be taking a bass sample, and adding a volume fade after X amount of time. Or adding a pitch bend down after X amount of time.

In MPT, you load the samples yourself. Instruments are similar - they "play" with the sample - be that volume modifications, multiple samples for the same instrument (so the samples don't get all nasty when sped up / slowed down when pitched), stereo panning, etc. You wouldn't get much out of working in Fami then porting to MPT because MPT won't have the samples you used.

You'd need to export the samples themselves, then copy-paste in your notation... and honestly that's more trouble than it's worth. If you use Famitracker, just use that - make .nsf, nintendo-format music and rejoice. If you want MPT digital files (totally different tech and format), I'd just work in that. The two don't play well together.

-Swerd Murd

AuthorMessage

SwerdMurd

129. Posted:

Oh and I completely forgot - just finished a new song!!

http://soundcloud.com/swerdmurd/maiden-adei-ost-final-boss

-Swerd Murd

AuthorMessage

SomeBitTripFan

130. Posted:

@SwerdMurd: Thank you. I'll attempt OpenMPT then. I'm dreadfully ignorant in regards to things like this, but reading up will probably make things make more since.

Just Someloggery

AuthorMessage

SwerdMurd

131. Posted:

@SomeBitTripFan - I'm gonna get the following together for you:

A simple NES song - slow song speed, no "advanced" techniques, easy to follow - Final Fantasy 7, Kalm Town (NES)
A reasonably complicated NES song -decent song speed, solid tracking, some higher level dynamics stuff - Final Fantasy 7 Battle Theme (NES)
A super complicated song - tempo / speed changes, lots of sample-switching mid-note, tooons of dynamics - Secret of Mana Boss Theme (NES)

They all use the same instrument and sample base. These should help as tutorials - just keep in mind they're copyrighted / can't legally be used (except to teach you tracking :) ). I'll get these together / uploaded / linked in the next couple hours.

-Swerd Murd

AuthorMessage

SwerdMurd

132. Posted:

Hey hey - been a minute since I've updated! Things are smooth as silk now - I have officially facelifted ALL of the crappy, one-day code I still had in the game, except for the character movement. My "enemies can fly off into space" bug will probably make the final release... As it looks kinda funny and I don't feel like fixing it. :)

Video I made showcasing all 4 of the magic spells - and the battle system in its final form. Recorded at 240x160 (100% game size) so it's a bit muddy looking on the video - sorry about that.

@SomeBitTripFan - completely forgot to upload those NES modplug tracks for you. Do you still want them?

-Swerd Murd

AuthorMessage

SomeBitTripFan

133. Posted:

@SwerdMurd: Yes, I would still like them. Thank you.

Maiden Adai looks to be rather good. It's funny to see how much it changed from a one day project.

Edited on by SomeBitTripFan

Just Someloggery