Forums

Topic: GPD Win 2: The Most Powerful Handheld Ever Made

Posts 101 to 120 of 170

JaxonH

@Anti-Matter
Well, price wise you're going to get far more bang for your buck with a laptop, at least in terms of how powerful it will be for the same amount of money.

But that comes at the cost of lugging around a giant laptop and charging brick and separate controller or, at the very least a separate mouse.

GPD Win 2 is great for that 3DS-style portability. It's hard to say what games it can run and what game is it can't, because all games are different. But it's basically as powerful as a Switch, so if you think a game could run on Switch hardware it can probably run on the Win 2.

As for Controller, the controller is built into the hand held. You simply toggle a switch to activate controller mode. Then when you are done playing the game you switch it back to mouse mode, where the analog moves the mouse cursor (and that's done automatically- no need to run some third-party app for the analog to control the mouse).

I'm pretty sure it could run SIMS 4 at full 720p. And all games are playable off-line. You do not need an online connection to play games. I've been playing at work every day and it's not connected to the Internet at work

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Eel

Oh yeah the main reason I got it is because I work online and lugging a laptop around got very tiresome after five or so trips doing it (we travel quite often).

The tablet was an amazing solution, it's ridiculously thin and light to be a full featured windows device, and the included keyboard means it's pretty much just a laptop. (Also it's pretty much superior to my regular laptop in every way).

I don't doubt this device (GPD) is excellent for gaming.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JaxonH

Ya GPD Win 2 really is a marvel of portable gaming, but there are compromises in order to achieve such a level of pocketability. A laptop or a tablet with real controller or keyboard and mouse will provide a much more luxurious gaming experience. Naturally, this device is suited to those who above all value pocket friendly portability.

It will remain a niche product, especially for the price, but you really can't beat it in terms of breadth and scope of library and sheer user control and customization. It's the first gaming handheld powerful enough to run Dolphin at a proper level of performance, which is huge. NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, GB, GBA, DS, Master System, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, NeoGeo, TG16... it does it all. It may even run Dreamcast. Not sure about Saturn though. I don't think there's really any good Saturn emulation out there, and if there is it would be a power hungry beast of an emulator.

Just having the classics like Metroid Prime, Half-Life 2, Portal 2, Zelda Windwaker and Twilight Princess, F-Zero GX, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, etc on a clamshell style handheld is... well, it's the ever-present dream come true, is what it is. I feel like I've been wanting this for too many years to count.

If anyone has the money to spend and is looking for a proper handheld... I can confidently recommend this product with a full stamp of approval

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Eel

Oh yeah even my tablet gets super hot, I wonder how this one does.

I assume it has better ventilation.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

JaxonH

The heat issues of the first GPD Win have been resolved. They added a fan that actually works properly and a proper heat sink and a complete redesign for ventilation.

I've been playing it these past two days and even after being on for for 5 hours, it's not too hot to hold or anything. I also keep it on, sitting on the carpet plugged in charging while my Steam library continues to download (going to take another day or two before everything is fully downloaded), and the carpet does not block the ventilation. It doesn't overheat even when sitting flat on the carpet.

The hottest portion on the unit I think is right behind the small SSD trap door on the backside of the unit. That can get kinda hot, just on that one little spot. But I think that's the hottest place I've noticed on the system.

Keep in mind though I am running on the standard, out of the box 7 W profile. I am probably going to change it to the 12 W profile just to get some extra juice and see how it runs, but naturally that's going to make it run hotter.

Even on the standard 7W profile though, I am running Assassins Creed 4 and Alan Wake. That's absolutely incredible. I had to turn everything down to very low settings, but both of them are running at full 720p with acceptable framerate. I really like to keep it on 720p if possible, even if it means turning down all the other settings. Alan Wake warned me that my computer did not meet the minimum recommended specification, but that the game may still be playable. And sure enough, it absolutely was still playable. I just had to make sure I turned everything down to very low. So 720p, playable framerate and with very low settings.

Admittedly, Dragon's Dogma was having a few dips in frame rate, I think probably down into the 15 or 20 range. It was enough to make me uninstall the game because I already was running it on the lowest settings possible. But I might re-install it because it would probably run OK on the 12 watt profile.

Edited on by JaxonH

Anti-Matter

@JaxonH
Is there any White or Silver color for GPD ?
I saw from internet it just Only Black color.
But, i have found a Silver / Red GPD.

Anti-Matter

JaxonH

DKC Returns (Wii) running flawlessly, with controls mapped like Tropical Freeze.

Fire Emblem Path of Radiance (GameCube) in gorgeous 720p, and manages to pull of 2x MSAA and 16x anisotropic filtering. It's not much but it helps. I'm just happy its 720p! It's so sharp and crisp when you're really looking at it. Even at native res it looks spectacular.

And lastly, Fire Emblem Geneology of the Holy War, in English, and it looks glorious!

@Anti-Matter
They're all silver and black, and the black occupies the middle area with silver around it. You're probably looking at the first GPD Win or GPD XD or GPD Pocket. Look for GPD Win 2

JaxonH

Xenoblade Chronicles runs 1.5x native res. The Last Story runs at native res. Metroid Prime runs at 1.5x native res.

A lot of these games can run at 2x but stutter on occasion so, I just lower to 1.5x and get smooth gameplay as much as possible. Even 1.5x is still 960x792 so, it's fine. Heck, even native res looks incredible on a small screen. Xenoblade at native looks soooo much better than the 3DS version, oh my gosh.

Xenoblade Chronicles
Untitled

Metroid Prime
Untitled

Eel

Well yes, of course it looks better. You're comparing it to the 3ds.

I believe most Wii games will look good on a smaller screen, so maybe running them at their original resolution might be the best option. That would help conserve battery, right?

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Haruki_NLI

I wonder if we will ever get a post from Jax that isn't constant positivity and free marketing for a product over several paragraphs.

This thing looks cool, and I'm sure I'll be able to pick one up eventually, but I have a more fun way of playing games at least somewhat portably for less via my PC in my mind right now...

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@Yosheel
Comparing it to 3DS because that was the only handheld version available until now. So it's an apt comparison.

I really dont think running 1.5x really makes all that much of a difference in battery tbh. The thing that conserves battery is running on a different power profile. 7 watts is stock out of the box like Switch. I went into BIOS and changed it, decided on 8.5 watts with short turbo boosts to 10 allowed. But you can use Intel XTU (extreme tuning utility) to make multiple profiles and assign them to different apps. So when you run Dolphin or PSP, it only uses 7 watts standard to conserve battery.

JaxonH

I wonder if we'll ever get a post from knuckles that isnt constant negativity and lashing out at anything that steals attention from Nintendo?

And you're dang right it's free marketing for them. As it SHOULD BE. Let word of mouth from actual gamers do the talking. And if it's a good product you bet your ass I'm gonna be glowing about it

Haruki_NLI

@JaxonH Did you miss this bit buddy?

Me wrote:

This thing looks cool, and I'm sure I'll be able to pick one up eventually

I'm more than happy for something to steal attention from Nintendo. You should know by now the only reason I care about their products is due to being different, and the list of the IP they own that I just dont give a rats ass about is extraordinary. The company can die for all I care so long as someone offers something different in the gaming industry without them being there.

The fact there is a portable PC solution is excellent to me, because some of the drawbacks that Switch has are...sometimes a bit much for me when it comes to some third party releases.

Plus, it means I dont have to shell out for a gaming laptop, and in the current GPU and RAM market plus the cost of data storage, haha, no. Not with the sterling the way it is either.

One thing I am looking into, that I alluded to above, was the prospect of RTS titles at least somewhat portably (Wii U portably lets say) via using a £330 or so graphics tablet with a 1440px900p screen to replace the mouse that I frankly cant use when gaming on PC due to my hand.

Or any game with heavy mouse reliance where I can just a second touch enabled screen.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@Knuckles-Fajita
Yes, but I also read the first part as well. Finishing it off with a normal sentence doesn't excuse what you said to begin with.

Anyways, this device isn't gonna be suited for everything. If a game has controller support then it's a perfect fit. If a game has to use mouse and keyboard then I really wouldn't recommend playing that game on this device. It would be too cumbersome I think. Using the analog works great for controlling the mouse in the operating system, but if you were to try to play a game like that... ya, Idk.

Strengths
Gamecube
Wii
PS2
PSP
Older Retro (NES, SNES, Sega, N64, PS1, etc)
Steam games with controller support

Weaknesses
Mouse/KB games
Demanding current gen games

DOOM and Wolfenstein 2 can run at 540p. That's kind of the limit of what this device can do. Anything more demanding than that and you're just not going to get good results.

edit
Also, it runs Ni No Kuni 2. Low settings and locked to 30, at 600p, it runs. But 600p on a 6" screen I cant even tell the difference between that and 720p. Even 540p it's hard to tell.

Edited on by JaxonH

Heavyarms55

@JaxonH "just having the classics like Metroid Prime, Half-Life 2, Portal 2, Zelda Windwaker and Twilight Princess, F-Zero GX, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, etc" But they are all pirated roms played on emulators, right? I cannot claim I have never played an emulated game, but I stuck only to fan made rom hacks, or games I own legit. All your comments make it sound like this thing comes with all these wonderful classic games, but getting them means pirating them. Am I wrong?

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

JaxonH

@Heavyarms55
They are if you choose to pirate them.

Me? I own all those games, several times over. So playing a game I have on my shelf... not thinking twice about it. And any game that's not either on my shelf or on my Wii U as a VC purchased game, it's either not for sale or never been officially localized.

Like N64. I've purchased every N64 game on the Wii U eShop. So I'll download every single game that suits my fancy, which will fall into one of these 3 categories- games I've legally purchased, games Nintendo/Sony refuses to sell to me, or games Nintendo never localized.

At the end of the day, I'll buy every last one of them Nintendo/Sony wants to sell to me. As for the rest? They're getting downloaded. At the end of the day, I'm not cheating them out of one cent. I'll gladly open my wallet to as many games these companies choose to sell. But if they dont sell them, theres nothing I can do about it. I'm looking for handheld versions of these games. And if they dont offer a way to purchase them on a handheld, then they're not losing anything on my end. I have a huge PS1/PSP collection for Vita. You can bet all of those are on my Win 2. Well, not PS1. Not really interested in playing those, I only bought for posterity's sake.

Edited on by JaxonH

Heavyarms55

@JaxonH That's very admirable. But do you honestly think that most people will be as honorable as you are?

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Eel

Well, we would need to assume everyone wanting to buy this will want it to play old games they could play on other devices they probably already have, with variable degrees of success.

I still think the general appeal is being able to play PC games* on the go, without the constraints of a gaming laptop/desktop, or the oversimplified form factor of an expensive windows tablet.

*Any game that has been developed or adapted as PC software, regardless of cultural status or complexity.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

JaxonH

@Heavyarms55
No, but it's none of my business what other people do, nor do I care. It's not my job to police the world nor would I even have the ability to if I wanted.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.