Forums

Topic: Google Stadia

Posts 261 to 280 of 387

Octane

@redd214 @Dezzy I think you're underestimating Google and their infinite sum of money. They could succeed if they wanted to. Now, there's an argument to be made for a streaming service. But if the playing field was equal, they could just adopt Epic's strategy of buying up exclusives, and handing out free games. In fact, it could be successful despite its current shortcomings. Amazon, Uber, Deliveroo, it happens all the time. Google could certainly do it if they gave a crap about Stadia.

Octane

BruceCM

The problem with that is they don't make games themselves, @Dezzy .... Perhaps if they'd been able to get more of the recent big games? Then, had the options to play them 'free' with the subscription or buy them once? Will have to see how it goes but it's not looking good for them

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

redd214

Octane wrote:

@redd214 @Dezzy I think you're underestimating Google and their infinite sum of money. They could succeed if they wanted to.

Not at all. Im completely aware of the resources they have. Also aware of all the dead bodies theyve left in the past with other tech things even with essentially unlimited resources. The resources aren't the biggest thing, like Dezzy said its their seemingly incompetent on how they want to go about it.t

redd214

Magonigal

I got the free two month trial of the pro subscription and it's two days till it runs out and i still haven't played it. Just haven't really been interested but might try briefly before it runs out just to see how well it works but definitely not carrying on, only got it because it was free

Magonigal

rockodoodle

Dezzy wrote:

BruceCM wrote:

I'd love it to succeed, if only for the sake of competition

I hope it fails, for the sake of competition.

The games industry is a very health industry in terms of competition. 4 very different hardware plaforms (5 if you include smart phones). Dozens of AAA publishers. Thousands of developers. Of all the different entertainment genres (film, tv, music, books), video games are by far the most economically healthy.

Google on the other hand, has a history of creating monopolies, because they incorporate all of their new businesses into the same information and ad network (as all of the silicon valley tech giants do).

I say we're better off without that. Keep things fairly decentralized, as it currently is.

Yeah, I can't say I am a big fan of Google. Would rather see Apple have a decent gaming platform.

rockodoodle

blockfight

Picked up my Stadia controller for the first time in a long time last night and tried out playing games on my phone. It was probably the best experience I've had to date with the system, possibly down to getting much better broadband recently in my house. Tried it on TV after and worked great.

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

blockfight

@Ninfan played NBA 2K20. Was testing it out cos I'm tempted to pick up F1 20 but didn't want to invest if it wasn't gonna work for me. I think I'm going to pick it up though now.
Haha, Dublin have had enough of Sam. Give someone else a turn 😃

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

Magonigal

I did play it before my trial ran out for around an hour on a Lan cable 100Mb connection over Chrome with a wired controller. I played Gylt and initially was fairly impressed with how smooth it was but then I looked at the sky and there were huge areas of banding and macroblocking just making it look really ugly. Also a bit later the picture suddenly broke up into different blocks of colour and chugged badly for a few seconds and the response times dived. I don't want my games to suddenly look like crap because they're hosted in the cloud and I have an above average fibre cable connection so there shouldn't be any problems but there will be glitches and ugliness like this and I'd rather just have my games play as designed or be able to fix them on PC

Magonigal

blockfight

Took the plunge and got F1 20. That game is epic. Been playing it on my phone mostly but got a race in on the big screen too. Looks and plays fantastic. Playing at the reduced resolution too since it won't make much difference on phone. But will try out 1080 tomorrow on TV.
For the first time since Stadia launched I'm actually impressed with how well it works.

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

blockfight

For anyone interested, there has been a Summer Sale up on the store for the past few days and yesterday a few more games got added to it. Some big discounts to be had. AC Odyssey down to €35 (or €23 for Pro members), RDR2 down to €45 I think and plenty others too.

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

blockfight

You can now play Stadia on your phone using mobile data if you have no access to WiFi. Uses roughly 2.7gb/hour.

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

redd214

Oh Stadia. If they don't make some drastic changes I can definitely see Google pulling the plug in 2021. Great potential just horribly executed and with comp coming from all sides, I don't see a way it survives honestly.

redd214

ThanosReXXX

blockfight wrote:

You can now play Stadia on your phone using mobile data if you have no access to WiFi. Uses roughly 2.7gb/hour.

So, for me, that would basically amount to being able to play roughly one hour and 20 minutes of video games each month, when not at home. I'd hate to think that I'd have this laughable an excuse of a gaming "platform" as my only outlet for my video gaming entertainment.

I know I'll definitely open up a bottle of bubbly if it horribly fails somewhere around late 2020/early 2021, and Google pulls the plug on it, as it has done on so many of its other previous "brilliant" ideas...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

blockfight

@ThanosReXXX Why would you celebrate the failure of something you're not using? I'm using it every day on my TV, work PC and phone. If you don't care about it that's fine but i don't understand the logic of hoping something fails that some people are really enjoying.
As to only getting to play for an hour or so a month, my phone plan would allow me to play for over 20 hours a month. Just because your data cap is crap doesn't mean everyone else's is.
Who cares how people game? As long as we're enjoying the game. I really don't understand the hatred people have for this platform. More ways to play is always good.

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

blockfight

@redd214 I can see it surviving. Next gen is coming and i don't fancy paying €500 or whatever the cost of new consoles ends up being. I'm sick of turning on my xbox every time i want to play a game and getting faced with a massive update. I'm sick of having to free up space for a new game because my hard drive is full. Im sick of having to subscribe to more monthly plans. I just want to buy a game and play my game when I'm free too. Xcloud is tied to Gamepass which i have no interest in, so would prefer not to be paying €13 every month for the privilege of that service. Google is free. Just buy the games you want and play.

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

redd214

@blockfight as long as you're happy, that's fine. After hours with both I can firmly say that at this point Xcloud is superior in virtually every way, but whatever floats your boat champ. Enjoy!

redd214

Anti-Matter

@blockfight
The reasons some of peoples here do not even like Stadia because you literally do not own the games.
You just rent the service and play the games by streaming while it still available.
When the server got shut down, so does with the games. You cannot play them anymore, you just wasted money for digital things.
Some of peoples here thinking about long term benefits from gaming.
Like ThanosRexxx said, streaming games will not last long.
You can be happy play the streaming games when the games are still available, but once Google Stadia has been pulled out someday due to poor sales of Stadia, bye bye happiness hello disappointment.

By judging your gameplay style, you have tendency for not collecting games in physicals and once you have finished the games, it done and do not feel you want to keep them forever. That's a short term gaming if i called.

Unfortunatelly, what Stadia offered didn't even sound very interesting by some peoples here. Streaming games were not something awesome to try, it was like a beginning of disaster in gaming industry. It will be about short term benefits without thinking about long term benefits as the year goes by. Peoples will get lectured to get everything immediately right now without being educated about long term benefits after several years later.

And to see not every country have strong online connection, i can say Stadia service will not last long and it will be disaster on some country with poor internet infrastructure. This year maybe Stadia service still running well but what do you think will be after 1 - 2 years from now ?

More ways to play is always good.
But i think the way to play games by streaming is not the best way by majority peoples here. Not every different way of playing are good.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

blockfight

@Anti-Matter I had a big comment wrote out but I figured what's the point. People who hate Stadia won't be convinced otherwise. That's fine. I'm having fun. So are thousands others. It might fail. If it does, so be it. I'll have gotten enjoyment out of it and will move on to the next streaming service that suits me. Happy gaming (wherever you game).

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic