Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 1,675

TuVictus

I'm one of the few that loved the 13 trilogy. I enjoyed 15,to a point, but I think I would have loved it much more if they'd released it as it is now

TuVictus

Dezzy

@MisterPi

I think nearly everyone would. What happens in the Ignis DLC is one of the most important moments in the story. It's insane they left it out of the original launch but at least they added it later for newcomers and people who'd left it long enough that they can replay it as if new.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Inertiacreep

@Dezzy oh man that sucks you didn't get to play it back in the day.. what year did you play it?
My friend showed me this game.. we used to go rent games as kids and he was like "this game is awesome" .. he had a lot of games but not that one, so we kept renting it but i bought it as soon as i could at Toys R Us and still remember the smell out of the box like, seriously my best video game purchase ever.. and it came with a badass double sided map and a super thick detailed and colored instruction book... i know I'm biased but the game really is that good too.

Inertiacreep

TuVictus

@8-Bit_Superman Completely agree. Even if I did hate the other two, LR would have redeemed it for me. The gameplay is so tight, and the story very interesting and intense yet also somehow more light hearted despite it being literally the end of the world

TuVictus

Dezzy

@Inertiacreep

My first playthrough of FF6 was on a Playstation Vita. That's all you need to know.

It didn't release on the SNES in Europe at all. And even if it had, I had no idea what JRPGs were at that point so probably wouldn't have even tried it.

I fall into that large camp of people who didn't even know about the series until FF7 and then was a permanent convert after playing it.

TuVictus

My first time playing any JRPG was FFX on the Ps2 and I was hooked the moment I started. Played FF7 a few years later and loved it just as much. Pretty much every FF game is a masterpiece to me. Though I regret not being able to get into the PSP spinoffs

TuVictus

darkfenrir

FF9 is my first foray to the series... but I never really got interested in the other games, much. I think it's also because my love is at Nintendo and they barely appears there haha.

Loved FF9 so much I played it on PS1, then bought it on PSP, then rebuy it on my own account at PSVita, then again at Steam

darkfenrir

TuVictus

Speaking of Nintendo Final Fantasy games, nothing has ever quite beaten Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for GameCube as the best Co op I've ever played yet

TuVictus

Inertiacreep

Well i hope ffxv really is that good.. i always said i wanted to play it because it looks a million times better than xiii but i still thought it looked disappointing and i especially don't like the all male thing... but i knew after square started porting all the FF to PC that they would port xv too, so I've been waiting for this... don't they use nvidia hairworks on PC too? I know one thing, this game is going to look amazing and that's half the reason i want to play it... the thing that made me want to play it more than anything though is when i saw they use SNES sprites for your party members in the shop screen.

Inertiacreep

Dezzy

I care much less about the fact that they've made the grass look 10% nicer, and much more about the fact that this game could be massively improved by mods.

Inertiacreep

@Dezzy yea but is this going to be a game that can easily be modded and has a good mod community? I doubt it

Inertiacreep

CanisWolfred

DarthNocturnal wrote:

I didn't hate XIII, but it isn't one of my higher ranking FF games either (it beats out 2 though ). And I really liked XV before all these updates. It's not perfect (or maybe I should say wasn't perfect? ), but after having mostly online-oriented FPS games on my XB1, I would've considered it a win if it was mediocre (for the sake of variety). It ended up surprising me by surpassing my expectations.

My top 3 are V, IX, and eĆ­ther III or XII.

Same. FFXV could've been worse at launch, but it surprised me how much I was enjoying it. FFXIII wasn't terrible, although I disliked how the battles seemed to devolve into chaos towards then end, especially after my brother found an easily exploitable combo to spam ad-nausem...actually, that was one of my beefs with FFVI, too. I hate it when a game makes it difficult to even force a challenge when you want it...

In fact, I'm one of the few who didn't care for FFVI. I think every Final Fantasy game is too easy, with their insistance on revamping the battle system leading to increasingly more broken and poorly thought-out systems as each game progressed. But FFVI really got be because I expected it to be better than it was. Seriously, while it had a lot of interesting ideas, it was a mess from a gameplay standpoint. Clearly there's nothing that provented progression, so most just saw it as a rollercoaster of gameplay ideas, but I don't think there was any section that held up even to casual scrutiny. It had a lot of exploits and mechanics that seemed redundant, and a few too many one-and-done minigames that just threw me off, especially early on where it had yet to even establish a status quo before mixing things up.

I honestly felt like FFVII had a better balance, both in difficulty and in terms of when it should mix things up with random mini-games. Heck, most of them weren't random, since the best ones were fleshed out and accessible from the Golden Saucer. That's how a mini game should be! A smaller game within a game, instead of the game changing the rules for a few minutes just for the sake of it, especially when people are still trying to figure out what the normal rules are...

FFV is still the best in the series, IMO, if only because it was so fun. Its characters were fun, the story was a fun romp, the class system was full of depth and possibilities, and it rarely felt too easy to me, so I had incentive to try different things. I honestly have yet to see it topped, and I've played it quite a few times over the years.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Anti-Matter

My Favorite Final Fantasy games :
1. FF 8
2. FF 9
3. FF 12
4. FF 3 NDS
5. FF 4 NDS
6. FF X-2

Not really interested :
FF 10
FF 7
FF 5
FF 6
FF 13

Never played:
FF 1
FF 2
FF 11 Online
FF 14 Online

Don't like at all :
FF 15
FF 13-2
FF 13 Lightning Returns

Anti-Matter

Dezzy

I don't even remember cactuars in FF6. But then again I didn't see a single cactuar for my entire first FF15 playthrough either.
Elusive buggers

Inertiacreep

@Dezzy i think they are only on one island in the land of ruin

Inertiacreep

Dezzy

@Inertiacreep

I assume you mean in FF6?

Aven

I would take a port of FFVIII on the switch if they could HD it

Aven

Dezzy

@Aven

I wouldn't hold your breath. FF8 has to be one of their most ignored games. Which is a bit weird for saying it sold like 8 million copies. I guess the general opinion of it hasn't aged very well though.

I remember absolutely loving it at the time but it didn't really leave much of a long-term impact on me.

@DarthNocturnal

I don't remember the world of FF6 well enough to know where that is. FF7 and FF9 and the only games know like the back of my hand. I've played both of them about 10 times each. Most other FF games I've only played once or twice.

Edited on by Dezzy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic