Forums

Topic: Gamestop closing 150-225 of its stores this year

Posts 21 to 31 of 31

Xyphon22

Yeah, I live in a fairly small town where not that many people seem to care a lot about video games (even super popular new items are often in stock places and I rarely see long lines), and I have 4 Gamestops within 20 minutes of my house. I won't be surprised if 1 or 2 of them get closed. And while I don't shop there much anymore, I do get a lot of gift cards for there by doing online surveys and I got a PS3 with
Oblivion, Ni no Kuni, and Bioshock for around $60 last year, so you can still get some really good deals there if you wait and look.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Hotfusion

@Peek-a-boo

You have a great way of offering solutions to your own arguments. Yes, it is convenient for those who rather spend time with their families (like me) or lack the physical capacity to get around, like my grandfather.

While I do understand to a degree what you are saying, you must accept that the world has changed. Compared to a few decades ago like the 1960s or 70s, people work harder and longer, at least in the country I live they do. Many office workers now bring work home with them by using VPNs and cloud technology. Hell, I earn good money but the work is a lot.

If you were alive at the turn of the 1920s you would probably complained about people in the suburbs being lazy because they now drive their cars everywhere instead of an hour long walk to the stores like they used to. Lol.

HOWEVER I am NOT disagreeing with you, people are obviously getting "lazier" compared to times past but that is what technology does. it is what it is.

Hotfusion

Octane

Peek-a-boo wrote:

A lot of people don't even go to their local supermarket or food store to buy their weekly food shopping, and do it all online instead. Not necessarily because it's cheaper, but because it is the easy way out of actually doing the activity itself. I'm seeing a dramatic increase of vans on the road that delivers everyday food to your doorstep.

I mean, I buy most of my games online, because they're cheaper and I know what I want anyway. No need to browse in a store when I'm pretty up-to-date on all the upcoming releases. But buying your food online..? I could never understand that.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

Blimey! Who peed in this guys bowl of cereal this morning?

Untitled

Peek-a-boo

Eric258

@Peek-a-boo My thoughts exactly! XD

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2601-9990-4610
Super Mario Run Friend Code: 1391-4403-4742
Fire Emblem Heroes Friend Code: 1332698932
Twitter: @Eric258kip

Sisilly_G

"A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control."

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Ryu_Niiyama

Wow that is horrible for the employees and I hope any that are displaced land on their feet. Former employee so I feel for them. However with digital sales, online storefronts, discounts at other stores (I switched to BB due to the GCU) Gamestop is having a really hard time competing. They still get the customers that go because it is a mostly games store and that can be easier than wandering a big box, or because some of them like the employees at their store...however traffic at non key stores has heavily decreased. Heck I used to work at both of the stores at King of Prussia and even at the largest mall on the east coast there was a decrease in traffic that was notable. That does remind me that I need to start taking a look at their retro sales. They've been stockpiling games for well over a decade so they are bound to have some good stock.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

gcunit

@crustysean2x Welcome to the site. Please read the Community Rules and post respectfully to other users, otherwise we'll have to ban your account. Thanks.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Spoony_Tech

Gamestops real problem was over saturation. It's not as bad now but at one point I had no less then 9 store less then 10 miles from me. There was 2 in the local mall and 2 more right across the street.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@Spoony_Tech So true. I had 2 malls around me that each had 2 GameStops, and in both cases there was 1 shopping center across the street also with one, and another 2 shopping centers within a mile that also had one. When they went on their spree buying all their competitors they tried keeping the stores all open for a while. So where we had a GameStop/Babbages, Electronics Boutique, Funcoland, and, some other store I forget which one, ALL of them were GameStops. When they were all set up to compete.

NEStalgia

Killer7IsDead

eventually most retail stores in general will shut down.

Killer7IsDead

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.