Forums

Topic: E.T. (Atari 2600) Review

Posts 21 to 40 of 60

Corbs

Twilight I've stood on the landfill in Alamandordo NM and they are there buried underneath concrete (thus the remark about the jackhammer in the review). I have a picture of myself taken along with the newspaper clipping from the trucks coming into town with the carts. I spoke to the actual city sanitation supervisor who oversaw the dumping and covering of the carts (which were not only just ET carts, BTW).

Edited on by Corbs

Plain old gamer :)

JebbyDeringer

I bought the game 3 weeks ago but only so I can burn it. I hope to document the moment though. It will be glorious.

JebbyDeringer

spicoli

The only real problem with the game is from over-sensitve pitfall glitch, since it was rushed onto the market. You can beat the game on the easy in less than 5 minutes. You don't have to worry about being captured by the agents, so you can take your time and avoid the pits altogether.

spicoli

PopeReal

Corbie review Custer's Revenge next

PopeReal

Omega

This is really a good game. I don't know where all the hate is coming from. It seems that NL manipulates the people too much. If Corbie would say, E.T. is 9/10 then (almost) everyone here would probably say: "This is the best game of all time. I'm glad to still have a gold plated copy. Blah Bla Blah."

Edited on by Omega

Ωɱɛɡɑ

Corbs

That's funny to hear since all of the emails I've received about the E.T. review so far have been asking me how in hell I gave this game a 2/10 when it clearly deserved a 0/10. LOL.

Ravage

I need to read that review, I was never able to figure out what I was supposed to do, it just didn't make any sense.

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.

Ravage

Corbie wrote:

And what games would they be?

Well if we're talking Atari 2600 games, here are some far worse than E.T.:

Picnic
Sorcerer
Star Gunner
Amidar
Sneak 'n Peak

I loved Sneak 'n Peak! Assuming it is that hide and seek game that is...I was also fairly little, but it was kind of fun. There was also that cops and robbers like game that I enjoyed quite a bit. It had some stairways and/or elevators and you had to catch the robber or something like that. Ah, what simple fun, those were the days... I discovered just this year that my dad used to have a vic 20 or whatever it is called, he was too poor for the Commadore
I should see if we still have E.T., my sister might have it, assuming she didn't get rid of her Atari, it might be worth somethin some day

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.

spicoli

Corbie wrote:

And what games would they be?

Well if we're talking Atari 2600 games, here are some far worse than E.T.:

Picnic
Sorcerer
Star Gunner
Amidar
Sneak 'n Peak

Ah, Sorcerer...I still can't get past the second screen. There was a company called Froggo whose entire library of 6 games were just broken. Karate in particular.

spicoli

Corbs

I'm always objective. If a game sucks, I'll tell you. I don't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks, to be perfectly honest with you. I'm quite arrogant that way. And I spent almost two hours with the game yesterday to review it, so I think I was thorough.

Edited on by Corbs

RowdyRodimus

You know, this game wouldn't be nearly as reviled as it is if there weren't so many AVGN Zombies. I doubt most of the peopole call it the worst game ever made have never even played it. As for causing the crash of '84, it didn't help any but it certainoly didn't cause it. Remember, this game sold over a million copies, think of how many Wii games haven't sold that many.

Sorry, I just get kind of tired of hearing people who's reference to gaming started when they had to decide between a PS2/Xbox/Gamecube (not meaning people here, just the usual internet groups) and never lived through finding new copies of games everywhere for as low as .99 trying to rate Atari games like they would a PS3 title.

@Corbie I just wanted you to know I wasn't meaning your review on it, like I said I was talking about the general person who never played it and just says it sucks because AVGN and others do.

Edited on by RowdyRodimus

I am the one you despise. I am he who says what you really deep down know but are affraid to admit. I am the Anti-Fanboy, the crusader of truth in a world built on your lies.

Omega

@Corbie: Yes, of course you are. If you really hate it with all your heart and soul then forget my comment. I did not want to offend you.
@RowdyRodimus: Exactly!

Edited on by Omega

Ωɱɛɡɑ

Corbs

In truth, there were a lot of reasons the video game market crashed. E.T. was a nice scapegoat, compounded by the fact that Atari had made so many carts (Almost 5 million in total) and never had a chance to even remotely sell them all. That wasn't so much the game's fault as it was Atari's going a bit overboard with the initial run, even with the holiday season in full swing.

And Omega I wasn't offended really, just joining in the discussion here. You're perfectly welcome to voice your opinion.

Edited on by Corbs

RowdyRodimus

One of the things you never hear (well, hardly ever hear) is that Atari was woking with 8 year old tech at the time. Arcade games were getting better and better, but the home systems stayed the same so as a result the arcade business grew but the home console business died. It's the same thing that happened a few years ago in reverse, home consoles got more and more powerful but arcade games basically stayed the same. I really think that if Atari had put out the 7800 in '84 like they originally were going to the video game landscape might be a different thing today.

I am the one you despise. I am he who says what you really deep down know but are affraid to admit. I am the Anti-Fanboy, the crusader of truth in a world built on your lies.

Corbs

I still feel the Colecovision was mostly to blame for the crash. They came in with a much more powerful piece of hardware, sucked in a lot of Atari's audience, and then tried to turn the damn thing into a computer to compete with the ever-increasing popularity of personal computers at the time. And by the time the smoke cleared, there wasn't much left. Of course by then the personal computers like the Commodore 64 offered better graphics, sound, and gameplay variety which didn't help the game console market. But thankfully Nintendo fixed things up with the NES.

RowdyRodimus

Can you imagine if Atari would've taken Nintendo's offer to distribute the NES?

EDIT: I know we've gotten away from the review of E.T., but it's almost impossible to talk about it without the crash of '84 coming up, I mean (Wrongfully deserved or not) it's as much the face of it as Mario is for Nintendo

Edited on by RowdyRodimus

Corbs

Well Atari missed the boat on that offer. And let's face it, they never really recovered from it. I think fortunately, by the time Nintendo and Sega came out with their 8-bit systems, most companies had learned from the mistakes made by the earlier companies in the early 80's. So I guess in a way, the crash was a good thing to learn from.

Magi

Holy crap...I had FINALLY repressed this game. Thanks Corbie...

Magi

TwilightV

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me Corb.

Never trust Wiki... D:<

Edited on by TwilightV

TwilightV

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.