Forums

Topic: Does Microsoft care about the XBOX360?

Posts 1 to 20 of 20

Thomas_Joseph

There are lots and lots of games that I'd like to play, and they're across multiple platforms. Part of my desire is to have a system perform as a home entertainment system as well, so I definitely knew that a PS3 or XBOX360 was in my future (probably a bit further down the road). I eventually plan to have my Wii, a computer, and one of the other HD gaming consoles hooked up to my HDTV, which would then allow me to watch NetFlix, stream my music, and even do work all in my living room.

The problem I faced was which console? Both the PS3 and XBOX360 have great titles which are found exclusively on their systems. Sort of. Games like Gears of War and Halo can also be found on the PC. Seems like this settles the question for me. I get the PS3 and then use the computer I already have to play the rare XBOX360 title/series that caught my eye.

Of course, this got me to thinking (perish the thought!) though ... why would Microsoft do this? Sure, those PC games will only run on an OS made by Microsoft, but it seems like that really means you're competing against yourself and if a number of people think along the same lines as myself ... they're undercutting their gaming console market.

Is there something I am missing here?

Currently playing: Gunstar Super Heroes (GBA), Infinite Space (NDS)

Friend Codes
Monster Lab: 4511-9376-9582; Water Warfare: 3781-7983-7040; TMNT Smash Up: 2064-0130-4425
[strong]Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: 2149-9558-3085 (Deuce); Conduit: 3782-0434...

Adam

I asked the same question when the first Xbox came out. I think some just prefer playing games on a console. Of course, having 360 controllers that are compatible with PCs eliminates much of the allure now, but there is still the issue that most people do not own computers that run games particularly well, and a 360 is cheaper than getting a new, gaming-capable PC.

Also, pirating is much more of a problem on PCs, so offering the games on console helps to make more money for them.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

DarkG

If you take into account that those games were on Xbox 360 about a year before they released on PC then you see why...

What's more, Halo 3, ODST, Wars and Reach are NOT planned for a PC release, that gives people who bought and played the first two on the PC a reason to go out and buy an Xbox 360 to play Halo 3, ODST, Halo Reach and Halo Wars... Same goes for Gears of War 2...

Also, a good gamng PC that can produce graphics on par with the Xbox 360 is a lot more than $299.99... just the Radeon HD 3870 that powers the 360 goes for around $130... add the OS price ($100 and up) and a controller ($45) and you see that it isn't a bad move on their part... it is more like they are trying to revive PC Gaming from the deep grave piracy put it in rather than trying to deceive customers from Console to PC... in fact, I think is the other way around...

De Puerto Rico a Los Angeles, the New York al Dirrty South
Este guerrero latino es representa'o
Muero de pie hantes de vivir arrodillao
Y tu eres fake'ah, mas fake'ah que chinatown

kevohki

I had the same train of thought. My PC is essentially a more powerful Xbox 360 (all the 360 "exclusives" I actually want to play are also released for the PC) so I purchased a PS3 instead to go along with my Wii. I do have a USB 360 controller for use with my PC though for certain genres (action games and platforming). Not having to deal with the Xbox Live community on a regular basis (and the $ fee, even if it is minor) is also a plus.

PSN ID: PhantomSauce
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8814-0225

rustythekid

I prefer playing on PC, but that's just me. Most of my friends prefer their 360's or PS3's. I don't see the difference actually, maybe because I'm not too picky when it comes to graphics. That's why I love my Wii.

rustythekid

JTC-Pingas

I don't think they really do.

JTC-Pingas

RandomWiiPlayer

It makes money, they care.

The Game.

Is it after 9PM EST? You should probably ignore the above post.

Raylax

By making a console, if it achieved MAXIMUM SUCCESS and pushed the other companies out of consideration (as they've more-or-less managed with Windows, for better or for worse), then they'd basically gain a full monopoly on the whole gaming industry. Which would be very, very profitable. And at the very least they gain approximately a third of it.
Plus it was a fairly safe gamble. Even if the X-Box had sunk, Microsoft would barely flinch with Windows still having a good 90% share of the client operating systems market. The same with the Playstation, it's just a small part of Sony. If that goes under they still have a whole industry of other electrical entertainment to keep them afloat. Not that either console are likely to go under anytime soon.

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

Ninten

Well, Microsoft cares a lot more about the Xbox 360 than Games for Windows Live.

Dragons are cool~ Wii FC: 8902 4871 6029 9319
http://backloggery.com/ninten

[19:48] Ninten: lz, your avatar is weird.
[19:48] Ninten: Reggie is like..."Duh, no Mother series for you Americans!"
[19:49] lz2010: That was the point Ninten ;)

Thomas_Joseph

Well, it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who had this thought run through my mind. DarkG, you raise some good points though. For me, late releases are really not much of a problem. I have never purchased a game as soon as it has been released, and the if it were not for my geeky fondness for Gatchaman/G-Force/BotP that streak would have continued. Waiting a year for a game isn't all that hard for me.

I didn't think (or mean to imply) that Microsoft was trying to trick consumers into one market or another, I just questioned the business practice of releasing titles on two "potentially" competing systems. At the very least, having the early iterations of these IPs available on the PC will allow me to judge whether or not the XBOX360 is really a console I would want to pursue, and perhaps that was part of their thinking (though I really do think I'll lean towards the PS3 anyways).

Currently playing: Gunstar Super Heroes (GBA), Infinite Space (NDS)

Friend Codes
Monster Lab: 4511-9376-9582; Water Warfare: 3781-7983-7040; TMNT Smash Up: 2064-0130-4425
[strong]Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: 2149-9558-3085 (Deuce); Conduit: 3782-0434...

ItsFuzzyPickles

Do I think Microsoft cares about the Xbox 360? Somewhat. Do I think they really care about the consumers enough? No.

ItsFuzzyPickles

Switch Friend Code: SW-1409-9782-5984 | Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

RandomWiiPlayer

Of course they don't care about the consumer. They barely have any 1st party games, and accessories are overpriced. $90 for a 120 GB hard drive, when I can get a TB hard drive for $100. But they don't allow USB hard drives for use. $100 for a WiFi adapter when other consoles have it built in.

The Game.

Is it after 9PM EST? You should probably ignore the above post.

MetalMario

They just want the money, I think. But my PC will never be that advanced. This thing hardly does YouTube.

MetalMario

Nintendo Network ID: MetalMario64

DarkG

RandomWiiPlayer wrote:

$100 for a WiFi adapter when other consoles have it built in.

Wrong, that's for the Dual-band, 802.11 a/b/g/n adapter... other consoles only have 802.11 b/g adapters built in and lack any official 802.11a (best "normal speed" one because is the one with the least interference) or 802.11n (fastest standard so far, mandatory for HD streaming over Wi-Fi) adapters...

Edited on by DarkG

De Puerto Rico a Los Angeles, the New York al Dirrty South
Este guerrero latino es representa'o
Muero de pie hantes de vivir arrodillao
Y tu eres fake'ah, mas fake'ah que chinatown

Nintendork

Um, it's Microsoft.... OF COARSE they don't care!

That's why you're still a kid.
ADD ME ON PSN: xnintendorkx
Youtube account: xNintendorkx

V8_Ninja

RandomWiiPlayer wrote:

Of course they don't care about the consumer. They barely have any 1st party games, and accessories are overpriced. $90 for a 120 GB hard drive, when I can get a TB hard drive for $100. But they don't allow USB hard drives for use. $100 for a WiFi adapter when other consoles have it built in.

This.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

rustythekid

Another reason to play games on the PC and for everything else, there's almighty Nintendo.

rustythekid

IlikeVideoGames

All any one company cares about is profit. Some might concentrate more on quality than others but at the end of the day it is about making money.

Edited on by IlikeVideoGames

IlikeVideoGames

The_Fox

Let's put it this way: they care about the consumers the same amount Sony and Nintendo do.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.