Other Gaming Forum

Topic: Best games you played in 2013

Showing 21 to 22 of 22

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

21. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Yes, I'm saying it now - this is the next Okami.

I'm not sure I quite get this but in terms of being the next game everyone immediately considers a cult classic that will inevitably be 5-10X more popular in a decade or 2, I completely agree. I mean I'd bring up Xenoblade in that category but that could either be overshadowed by X (thus making it the next Demon's Souls) or will be re-released thus making it a decently known title much quicker (I guess, Shadow of the Colossus/Persona 4?)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

Ralizah

22. Posted:

Top 12

12. Bioshock Infinite (PC): The original Bioshock managed to prove that even First Person Shooters can have enough lasting value and merit to be worth calling art. Infinite goes further in this direction. The thoughtful story, with its socio-political satire and VLR-esque plot twists, is somewhat awkward when juxtaposed against the utterly brutal combat, although this effect may be intentional to some degree. It is refreshing to see the developers take risks rather than staying safe and comfortable with another grimdark Bioshock game set in Rapture.

11. Gravity Rush (Vita): The game I originally wanted a Vita for, and it doesn't dissapoint. While the plot is nonsensical and it lacks gameplay variety, the unique art style, large open world, and intoxicating core gameplay mechanic make this a real joy to play. Flying Gravity Kicks are every bit as awesome as they sound.

10. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS): Tough-as-nails, but the responsive controls, intelligent level design, and gorgeous 3D visuals kept me coming back again and again until I collected everything and accessed every world. One of the best platformers I played this year.

9. Rayman Origins (Vita): In contrast to the awful 3DS port of Origins, the Vita port runs as smoothly as the console versions do. Moreover, the visuals pop more on the OLED screen. I actually played through most of this last year on my 360, but I never completed it in anticipation of doing a complete run-through on a handheld instead. As such, I one-hundred percented this when I got it on Vita through PS+ earlier this year. The game is a masterpiece, with its wacky humor, catchy soundtrack, challenging platforming, precise controls, and lovely art direction. It's also a perfect fit for the PS Vita.

8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS): This is a polished and gorgeous experience that has turned my entire family into a collection of fruit-collecting fiends. Questions about prices in the turnip market and comments about cute remarks made by one's animal neighbor now pass through my family as organically as any other subject of idle conversation. The multiplayer component in this game is perfect, and the wealth of customization options consumed me for a couple of months after I got it. Every now and then, I will still drop in on my town to see how they're getting along. Almost no game has this kind of staying power.

7. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS): I played through the first two games in this series in their entirety last year, and am in the process of playing the third. The game has a strong and involving plot that threads its way through the various cases. Although all of them are fun, the final two cases in particular really knock the ball out of the park story-wise. The music is always appropriate and a few tunes (Cornered, in particular) managed to become favorites of mine. The adventure gameplay is old-school and a lot of fun, and although it suffers from some of the problems inherent in adventure games, the game's logic is usually fairly consistent. I look forward to seeing whether Trials and Tribulations tops this.

6. Etrian Odyssey IV (3DS): This is easily the greatest and most expansive entry in one of Nintendo's best exclusive third-party series. The introduction of a difficulty level ensures they can preserve the series' hardcore difficulty for the long-time fans while also not scaring off new players. The new 3D models for the enemies are gorgeous, the 3D effect is awesome, the OST includes some of the best music I've ever heard from a 3DS game, and there is enough exploration outside of dungeons that the game truly feels like an epic adventure.

5. Pokemon X and Y (3DS): While not perfect by any means (the 3D is simply awful and the plot and characters aren't half as interesting as in Black/White), the number of advances made in other areas truly represent a revolution in the world of Pokemon. The most obvious and immediate change is the move away from 3D sprites to fully animated 3D models. Pokemon feel alive in ways that they never did in older titles, and character models are more detailed and expressive than ever. I LOVE the fact that these games allow you to customize your trainer in a multitide of fun ways. Pokemon Amie is likewise another hugely entertaining addition to the series, and goes even further in making them feel more like pets than mere weapons. Perhaps the biggest and most important changes come in the ways that these games have expanded the series' important multiplayer elements. Battling other trainers online has never been easier, and with the significant role streetpasses play in the games, the games have begun to feel social in a deeper sense than ever before. I'll be harder on future games if the problems in this one aren't fixed, but considering the number of huge improvements made in so many areas, I'm willing to give those a pass.

4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS): The best 2D Zelda game ever made. This combined all the things I loved about older Zeldas-- the weird humor, simplified combat and gameplay, emphasis on putting gameplay first-- and stripped out all of the things I disliked about older Zeldas: chiefly, wandering around aimlessly without a clue as to where to go next and the overall linearity of the experience. The game by no means holds your hand, but it was fairly simple to figure out what to do next. The plot is a bit simple but appropriate for the purposes of this game. The ability to complete dungeons in almost any order is refreshing and made me feel more like I was going on a real adventure rather than merely hunting for the next waypoint in game progress. Weapon renting is a similarly welcome change. The wall merging mechanic is neat and used to full effect throughout the game in the exploration of dungeons and, ultimately, in the final boss fight. The visuals are simply superb, with the 3D running a silky smooth 60 FPS. Best of all, the 3D, while not required, is actually very useful to the gameplay, as knowing the depth of an object or enemy often makes the game that much easier. Overall, the only problem with this is that it is short. Too short. It's a real pity that such a wonderful experience is over so soon.

3. Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS): Having never played a Fire Emblem game before, this one really took me by surprise. The depth of both the combat system and the character development is astonishing. They took something that would likely have been a minor element in a lesser game, the support conversations, and used them to make you feel like you really were getting to know these people as they meet, spar, bicker, and fall in love. The cutscenes are also unusually gorgeous, and were not something I was expecting to see in a 3DS game. Adding the plot and huge wealth of side and post-game content, this is almost a perfect game..

2. Persona 4 Golden (Vita): A strange yet perfect combination of dungeon-crawling and life-sim elements. This has, by far, the greatest OST I've ever heard in a video game. Bar none. The mystery story, while not terribly deep, helps to structure the game, but mostly stays out of the way in order to let the game's captivating, well-scripted characters take the spotlight. Everything here is so much fun that I didn't even notice that my initial playthrough was in the 70 hour mark. I am now playing through again to access the various dialogue options I missed out on the first time around. I restarted right away. I never do that. The game is just that much fun.

1. Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS): There is so much I could say about this game. The deep combat system. The expansive mythology behind all of the demons. The addictive, Pokemon-like collection aspect. The dark, complex story. The masterful OST. The satisfying difficulty. The wealth of options at every turn. The gorgeous dungeons. The huge amount of replayability with three unique endings. The occasional muddy cut-scene and confusing overworld map can't spoil one of the best RPGs ever made.

Honorable Mention:
Ridiculous Fishing (Android): Yes, yes, I know, it's a mobile game, but this title is just obscenely fun and had me addicted for hours on end. The process of going as deep as I can, dodging strays and chainsawing through clusters of fish, then reeling them back up and blowing them away in the sky, only to purchase another crazy upgrade and repeat the process again consumed me for a few days. Also love the fake social networking platform in the game. The attention to detail is unusual for a mobile experience.

Edited on by Ralizah

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah