Forums

Topic: Best games you played in 2013

Posts 1 to 20 of 20

kkslider5552000

So this is not a thread specifically about the best games of 2013. Just the best games you played in 2013. Since quite frankly, even a lot of gamers don't play a ton of new games all the time. Most people can't afford that. That's what this thread is for. You can list any game as long as you had never played it (or played very, VERY little of it) before 2013. Surprisingly, I can list 10 games.

1. Rayman Legends. Obvious. This really is the best Wii U game...maybe not necessarily the best game on Wii U but it is the best Wii U game despite that. It uses the Gamepad brilliantly in ways that combine classic platforming, iOS runner type games into this new, strange sort of thing. It destroys NSMBWii and 3D World (in terms of using the Gamepad, though it almost certainly destroys the former in every way possible). It has so much content, and basically all of it is great. It's a game that will literally go on forever...or until Ubisoft decides to stop updating challenge mode. Whatever comes first.
2. Ace Attorney: Duel Destinies: I'm not gonna go as far as to say it's as good as AA3, but it comes so close at points. Undecided if I'm taking into account the last case usually being the best despite not getting that far yet but this is a pure fun type of story that I love in gaming/anime. I just love this series and it is so nice to have it back.
3. Bioshock Infinite: I've been told this is somehow average gameplay-wise. I'm sorry, we've not been playing the same FPS clearly, because while it does have its issues, it still embarrasses MANY of the popular FPS of the past few years even in terms of the shooting. But it is really a game that is better than the sum of its parts, this insane, overly ambitious yet brilliant little game that I still love. It is incredibly memorable and interesting and fun and all the things I've been wanting to see from FPS for so long. The fact that it is has one of my favorite new characters in gaming and a story that has one of the best endings I've ever seen just elevates it to greatness. Also MURDEROUS CROWS. That is all.
4. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon: This is how you make a great sequel. Take a fairly short classic from back in the day, make it much larger and expand the gameplay to justify it. That's all it needed to do and barring some weak extras in single player, it completely succeeds as a sequel. Luigi's Mansion was great and this was both also great and also new enough to be its own thing. Something so enjoyable about using your Dark Light gun or whatever it was to find invisible objects and then find lots of money. Multiplayer was also clever and far better than the multiplayer mode added to a Luigi's Mansion game has any right to be. This and Bioshock Infinite are practically "how to make an interesting sequel 101".
5. VVVVVV: I knew this game was great but until like a week ago I never played it. Glad I did, it's a fantastic platformer...without any traditional platforming. But still fantastic use of level design for one single gimmick, incredibly addicting and fun little game. Brilliant soundtrack too and I've only started playing the many bonus levels (there's one made by Notch!)
6. 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors: So this is that VN stuff I've been missing. I should right now that the over-use of the novel part (explaining stuff to ridiculous degrees that anyone can see) and trying to get more than one bad ending kinda hurt this game (not to mention that final puzzle). So it's impressive that the story of this game alone made it as good as it did despite that. The exact type of story I like in a series, one that feels conclusive and exciting but gives you a reason to continue with later installments. Also, the over explaining did lead to some of the most genuinely disturbing scenes I've seen in a game, precisely because it was described instead of shown.
7. Wonderful 101: This game is ridiculous and genuinely original. I'm so glad I knew about the controls and gameplay and how it works before playing it because the early parts of this would have sucked if I didn't. While it occasionally has some issues, when it is good, it is an absolutely amazing and insane action title. And unlike Vanquish, the other Platinum Games title I've actually played, the story was actually amusing and added to the game instead of wasting 1/4 of my game time for no reason.
8. Mass Effect 3: Yeah the ending is still annoying, even the new one. It sucks, it does hurt the game a bit considering how important it has been as a trilogy I've put over 100 hours in (with far more main story involvement than say, a Xenoblade, so it was pretty bad that that happened). Nonetheless, it's still the last game in a trilogy I grew to love and is still one of the only 3rd person cover shooters I genuinely enjoy.
9. Pikmin 3: Pikmin 3 should be the best game in the series, and I'm not entirely sure why it isn't (I feel it's as good instead). But regardless, Pikmin 3 was a great game and the type of start that HD Nintendo deserves. Sadly I never got the chance to try Bingo Battle (or multiplayer at all) but it's a great game even without that.
10. Project X Zone: This is a great example of a crossover just having fun with being a crossover. And it's a solid strategy game. That's all the game needed to be, it succeeded, the fan service for series I knew nothing about makes me want to play them and makes me want to go back to stuff like Dead Rising that I never gave much of a chance. I think it's the music that won me over though (that and being a strategy game I can actually not suck at). It's just a nice, silly, fun little game.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

sugarpixel

I mostly played Nintendo games this year (read: 3DS games), so my favorite games this year have been:

• Pokémon Y
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
  • Mario & Luigi Dream Team
  • Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
  • Legend of Zelda: a Link Between Worlds
  • SteamWorld Dig
  • Resident Evil: Revelations

But I also played the oldie-but-goodie The Curse of Monkey Island! I also played Portal 2 for the first time this summer!

...and I can't forget, in January I finally got around to playing Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Twitter | ko-fi | YouTube | Backloggery

Add me on Nintendo Switch! SW-5806-7479-1875

Switch Friend Code: SW-5806-7479-1875 | 3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | My Nintendo: FlutterBug | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku | Twitter:

KingDunsparce

kkslider5552000 wrote:

9. Pikmin 3: Pikmin 3 should be the best game in the series, and I'm not entirely sure why it isn't (I feel it's as good instead). But regardless, Pikmin 3 was a great game and the type of start that HD Nintendo deserves. Sadly I never got the chance to try Bingo Battle (or multiplayer at all) but it's a great game even without that.

Aw, that sucks. Bingo battle is super fun. It's so much better than Pikmin 2's Vs. mode (and I loved that)

"I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!" ―Cave Johnson
Join the Chit-Chat Crew! :P

3DS Friend Code: 2938-6384-0441 | Nintendo Network ID: Pikminsi

MAN1AC

1. Ghost Trick
2. 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
3. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
4. Super Mario 3D World
5. The Last Story
6. The Wonderful 101
7. Ni No Kuni
8. The Last of Us
9. Kid Icarus: Uprising
10. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Honorable Mentions: Rayman Legends and To The Moon

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

RR529

Finally, I've been waiting for a thread like this.

1. Fire Emblem: Awakening - The story may not have been quite as deep as past games, but I find it has the largest number of memorable characters (from the entries I've played), it still has some political intrique, and the game is quite simply beautiful (I adore the new art direction, and some of the battlefields look quite stunning). Not to mention the strategic gameplay is as fun as ever, the new pairing mechanic is fresh, and there are tons of missions, even without paid DLC (seriously there are nearly as much paralogue missions as there are story missions).

2. Super Metroid - Just like SMW & ALttP, this game is freakin' timeless. The bold sprite graphics hold up incredibly well, and the world that they created melds together in a really organic way, that feels natural. The gameplay is superb as well, and it some very memorable boss encounters.

3. the Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons - This doesn't really do anything to revolutionize the Zelda formula, but what it does do, is make a really solid Zelda adventure, that's a bit stiffer in challenge than usual, which is nice (I don't think I've ever had to retry a final boss in a Zelda game nearly as much as I did for Onyx).

4. Crimson Shroud - This isn't very long for an RPG, and I've never been a big fan of the whole "have to replay the game from the start to get good/real ending", but I'll admit the positives far outweigh the negatives. The story is surprisingly dark if you really pay attention to it, and it's simply by far one of the most unique games you'll ever play (the whole tabletop RPG thing is very cool, and the battle system is really deep without being confusing. Oh, and I love rolling the dice).

5. Gunman Clive - This is a solid, charming platformer that pays homage to a host of classic titles (Mega Man, Contra, Bionic Commando, SMB2, DKC, Zelda II, etc.), with some very unique & memorable bosses, and great replayability (what with the various difficulties, characters, & secret achievements). Oh, and it's only $2 (seriously, there is no excuse not to have this game)!

6. Legend of the River King GBC - A fishing RPG you say? Why yes, I'll have some of that! Surprisingly wide selection of fishing equipment to collect, and you'll definitely want to experiment if you want to catch like the over 40 (yes 40) different types of fish it has. Oh yeah, you kinda get to PUNCH BEARS in random turn based encounters (cool enough for you now?).

7. Red Dead Redemption - This would be higher on the list, but I just started playing it not too long ago (I'm sure it'll be higher on my 2014 list). The combat is pretty much just generic cover based shooting stuff, but that's just one small part of it. I find helping out on the ranch to be much more enjoyable (you can take part in a cattle drive, & tame wild horses!!!), and I've taken quite a liking to just wandering around the wilderness & hunting (so far got an owl, boar, & some rabbits and racoons. Darned deer always get away, lol). All this, and I've really only experienced the areas in & around the ranch & Armadillo.

This isn't everything I've played this year, just the stuff I really thought left an impression.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

8BitSamurai

None of these games are in any order whatsoever!

1. Fate / EXTRA: This comes to my mind first just because of how different and memorable it was. The game was by no means perfect, but it is quite the experience. I've never played anything like it, and the story had me engrossed for days (Playing it until my neck hurt). If anybody is feeling tired of all of the tired shooters, zombie games, etc., I beseech you, try this game!

2. Shining Force: Who'd have thought a Genesis SRPG could be so addicting? Even if the sequel really did improve on the formula in pretty much every way, I couldn't help but feel a bit sad when this gem was over.

3. Front Mission 3: Another incredible RPG by Squaresoft on the mighty PS1. Not one of their most famous games, by any stretch of the imagination, but a great mech-based SRPG that feels genuinely different and fresh.

4. Pangya: Fantasy Golf: Nobody laugh, this really is a hidden gem. It's like Hot Shots or Mario Golf, but with more anime. Tons of customization and content. Dirt cheap too. (Got mine for $7 sealed, shipped)

5. Gravity Rush: Like playing a manga! This game was so memorable and fresh, I can't wait for the sequel. I feel like a thief having gotten it for nothing on PS +...

6. EarthBound: I can't help but feel it's a little overrated (Just a little, don't hate me!), with asking prices of $150 on eBay (Seriously, it's not that good), but it's a stellar game nonetheless!

7. XCOM: Enemy Unknown: GotY 2012, I still think. Fortunately, nothing was lost porting it to consoles (Like some strategy games), and the game has a "Just one more turn" feeling like you wouldn't believe. Plenty of challenge while still being fair and approachable, and it has aliens!

8. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time: This game really won me over. The first half is just plain funny, the platforming is excellent, the combat is exciting as usual, and it never gets boring. Only really bad thing I could say about it is it feels short, and it annoys me that it takes a second playthrough to platinum.

9. Ys: Memories of Celceta: Not done with it, but I'm fairly far, and I'm convinced this is the best handheld game of 2013. Great story, great characters, tight gameplay with good visuals, and excellent music as usual for this series.

10. Guilty Gear X2 #Reload: I'm pretty sure I discovered the best fighting game series in existence. Fantastic controls, fresh characters, awesome gameplay, beautiful visuals, awesome music.

11. Persona 3: One of the best games ever. I knew I was going to enjoy it, but this was ridiculous. If this game isn't perfect, it sure is close! The story and characters are too endearing for their own good. I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty much emotionally attached to the game and it's world.

Other excellent games (Not necessarily worse than what I listed above) I've played in 2013: Ridge Racer (PSP and PS1 games), Sonic Generations, Toy Story 2 (PS1), Phantasy Star II, Kirby's Adventure, Uncharted 2, Soul Sacrifice, Metroid Fusion, Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, Metal Slug XX, Rondo of Blood, Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution, SSX 3, Jak & Daxter, Uncharted 1, Scribblenauts Unlimited, and Jump Ultimate Stars.

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

Tasuki

Well I will copy and paste what I put in my QotD thread which applies here as well

5. The Walking Dead Season Two Episode one — Yeah I know its just part of a game but I am throwing it up on the list. The was one of my most anticipated titles this year and it didn't fall short on expectations. The only thing is though now I am anticipating the rest just as much.

4. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag — Yeah I know this game fell short of an AC title but as a pirate game this was everything I ever wanted. Seriously I spent more time attacking ships and doing pirate stuff more then the storyline of the game. The world is huge which is nice giving me alot to explore. Now if only Ubisoft made this as a a separate series or a spinoff.

3. Resogun — Oh man where do I begin with this game? I honestly didn't know of this game untill I hooked up my PS4, and went to the PSN and looked under the free games, so I didn't expect much when I downloaded it, boy was I in for a treat. This game brought me back to the old school days of shamups but with a twist. Instead of going from left to right or up and down, the levels were cylindrical. Add awesome graphics and a great sound track along with sound effects and you have a free game that rivals non free games. Its have become my favorite launch game on the PS4.

2. Grand Theft Auto V — Yep this is on the list. I have to say I am not a fan of the series the last one I really got into and enjoyed before GTA V was Vice City. But this game took the crown from Vice City as my favorite GTA game. I love everything about the three main characters the size of the city and the storyline is straight out of a Vinewood movie Now I am not basing my decision on the Online portion cause honestly I think it was a big mistake and I didn't put that much time into it. But the single player mode I really enjoyed and the fact that it got me to sit through an entire GTA game is something special. Even after wards now that I am done with the main story I still find myself cruising the streets and wrapping up side missions and what not.

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds — What can I say a sequel to my favorite Zelda game of all time. But even though it is a sequel to ALttP it is still really good on its own. This is probably the most enjoyable Zelda game I have played in years, Add to that the awesome sound track the great graphics and I totally forget that I am playing this game on a handheld system. The only downfall I am having with this game is it seems a bit easier than most Zelda games but still this will be a game that I will be coming back to again and again.

I will also add

Tomb Raider I will be honest I never liked the original Tomb Raider games but when I saw this one I just had to play it. I really enjoyed this one alot and I am looking forward to the sequel as well as the PS4 release next month. I loved the storyline and the fact that it's Lara's Origin storyline too boot. Just everything was a pleasure in this game from the building of weapons to how Lara would physical and emotional appearance would change through out the game. I love noticing cuts and scraps appear on her and how she grew in using a firearm for example starting off shaky at first but by the end of the game she was such a natural with a gun. Those little details made this game one of the best this year.

Gunman Clive Honestly the best way to sum this up is the best 2 bucks I spent on the eShop all year. While I know this game was done by a two man team everything was just perfect about it. The gameplay was classic gameplay at it's best and the music along with the graphics just went well with this game. Yeah it was short but this is one of the games that I can replay over and over again

Super Metroid I will admit I played this game once during the SNES era but for some reason I just couldn't get into it then. I think it had to with the open world backtracking aspect and at that time I was use to the traditional platformer like Mario World. Well when this game was offered for 30 cents on the Wii U VC and after years of hearing how great it was I decided to try it again and all I have to say is WOW. I will have to say even though I was playing this game on the Wii U, I swore when I was playing this game I was transported back in time when I was a lad playing the SNES at least thats what it felt like. It reminded me why the SNES is my favorite console of all time. As for the game itself, what a master piece. I can honestly say that since I wasn't blinded by nostalgia. This game held up so well over the years. Everything from the music to the graphics to the boss battles were great. Even when I finished it I walked away with a sense of satisfaction that I haven't felt in years. I can see why this game was revered by so many

Diablo III While I have to admit I was one of the fans disappointed by the PC version, the console version however was everything I wanted the PC version to be. Even the controls, using a controller over a keyboard and mouse was a blessing. And the fact that this version didnt have an auction house to mess everything up like the PC version. Seems odd but when I played Diablo III on the 360 I was in heaven rather then in hell.

Lego Marvel Superheroes I have to say this one if fairly new and I have yet to finish it but I am having a blast with it. I haven't played a Lego game since Lego Harry Potter but the Marvel license I had to check this game out. I love the new open world hub level made up of Lego New York City. I am having alot of fun inbetween missions exploring it. Love the storyline and the voice acting as well in this one.

Thats all I can think of now I will add some more if I think of more.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Zanark

Legend of zelda: A link to the Past, Zero escape:virtues last reward and Banjo Tooie

Edited on by Zanark

Friend code: 1934-1399-5355

Platypus

In no particular order:
1. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Despite being really short, this game is extremely good. Excellent visuals with very creative environments. It's very easy, but the puzzles were clever and I was never bored. The game also had a good story despite the fact that it technically had no dialogue.

2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
I'm so glad I got around to playing this one. It was nowhere near as hard as I expected, but it had some of the greatest levels in any platforming game ever. There wasn't a single part I disliked in thegame. Each area was varied and looked fantastic. I cannot recommend it enough.

3. Psychonauts
Every gamer must play this game. One of the most creative games I have ever played. That is all,

4. Dungeon Defenders
After I got a 4 pack of this game on Steam, my brothers and I played it for the next two months nearly every night. MY favorite co-op game to date.

5. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
C'mon guys, this one is fun.

6. Pokemon Black and White 2
I was really late on this game and I haven't bought X and Y yet, but I have nearly every Pokemon game and this one is my favorite. Awesome Music, Awesome Region, Awesome post game content, and, yes, awesome Pokemon. This game brought me back into Pokemon and I loved every minute of it.

7. Chrono Trigger
Wow, just wow.

8. Skyrim
Yeah, I'm late on this one, but I love the Elder Scrolls games. Of course the game is huge and has a lot of quests, but unlike Oblivion and Morrowind, Skyrim is such an interesting place; I actually cared about all the areas I went to and loved looking and the well made landscapes. It had fantastic quests which made me want to never stop and level my unimportant skills. The downside is the horrible bugs which ruined so many moments.

9. Mass Effect 3
I love the Mass Effect series and I put off playing this one because of the ending. I wish I didn't, because the game is fantastic and has some of the best action moments in games to date. Plus, the ending isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

10. Metal Gear games
I was given the Metal Gear Legacy Collection for Christmas and so far I played through MGS 1 and 2. Both were fantastic, but 2 had the strangest ending I've seen ever. I'm still playing through 3 and will get to the next two soon.

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

darthmawl

2013 was huge for me ... Ive never been a big gamer playing only Nhl games and Cod. But my friend at the job wanted me to play Zelda skyward ... I was a nintendo hater sayin it was too childish . I wAS WRONG !!! Ive started playing all types on gamed from action, rpg , adventure!

10- Luigis Mansion
9- Fire Emblem Awakening
8- TLOZ - Oracles of Seasons/Ages
7- Tearaway
6- Pikmin 3
5- SMT IV
4- Dragons Crown
3- TLOz - A link between worlds
2- Pokemon Y
1- Mario 3D World

No specific order !
Ive completed all the games rhey were all awsome

Edit : forgot Kid Icarus Uprising and Wonderful 101 !!!!

Edited on by darthmawl

Currently playing : ZombiU on Wii U / Soul Sacrifice on Vita / Mario Golf World Tour on 3DS

Jaz007

Batman: Arkham Origins (Wii U) Great game with a fantastic story, really stepped up the series in that department.
Warframe I've really been getting into this one, despite the huge amount of grinding I find myself doing, I just want to keep going. I've put 23 hours and have many more to go.
Fire Emblem: Awekening A great strategy game, the option regarding permadeath were welcome and the support conversations were hilarious. I still need to finish it though.
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. Even though 2&3 were better and it lacked the finesse Sucker Punch had, it was a worthy entry with a hilarious story.
Mount & Blade: Warband I love medieval times so this was perfect for me. Even though it was a bit repetitive it was addictive and I put 66 hours in. I will probably put more later on too.
Gravity Rush It was great game with new ideas. The way it handled view draw distance was beautiful too. I still need to finish it though.
Ni No Kuni This is just a magical game, full of charm and has great story, Studio Ghibli did a great with the animation. I still need to finish it though.
Resogun It was great showcase for the PS4 with it's mesmerizing pixel effects.
Need for Speed: Rivals (PS4) I didn't expect the game to be the huge amount of fun it is, great game. I love the cutthroat nature of the game.
Injustice (PS4) Great game, really good job with special moves, button mashing doesn't work, but they're not too hard to access.
I hope I didn't forget anything.

Jaz007

CanisWolfred

12. Tales of Graces f - This was disappointing, but at least the combat was phenominal and the story had some nice twists. The characters were alright, too. If nothing else I was able to finish it with the help of my bro.

11. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - Considering this was the reason I wanted a PS3 for so long, it was kinda disappointing, but still fun all around. (Just not as polished as previous installments) If nothing else I was able to beat it.

10. SteamWorld Dig - This is the sleeper hitright at the end of the year! Mad addicting, and a lot of fun to explore its deep depths. I'm hoping its the first game I finish next year.

9. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride - Still one of the best Dragon Quest games.

8. Pokemon X - A surprisingly refreshing entry in the series, but it had way too many Pokemon. I couldn't finish it, and probably never will.

7. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - A huge improvement over the Wii version, especially on the Wii U. Lots of monster slaying goodness, though taking away your ally after beating Lagi is cold. How am I supposed to get that Fire-Resistant Armor if I keep getting clobbered by Rathians?

6. Ninja Baseball Bat Man - one of only 3 games I beat this year, albeit with about $20 in quarters...very addicting game.

5. Soldier Blade - A rediculously hard yet addicting shooter. One day I'll beat stage 3...

4. Ni no Kuni - A great and charming RPG. Kind of drags things out every once in a while, though. Forced side-quests and a surprise boss fight should never be there just to delay me from getting my boat. >=[ It's also surprisingly hard despite its childish look.

3. Etrian Odyssey IV - A fantastic Dungeon Crawler that puts past entries to shame. I'm on the third stratum. Someday I should get up the nerve to go back there...If I'd stop getting attacked by dragons...

2. Gravity Rush - One of the best games ever made on any platform. Ocasional ambiguity and a story that's a little too Arthouse/French-inspired for its own good aside, I have yet to find a game I so readily get absorbed into like this game, outside of Metroid Prime and Okami. Yes, I'm saying it now - this is the next Okami.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles - This game...is everything I've ever wanted out of a game. Need I say more?

Honorable Mentions - Ys V, Tales of Xillia, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Luigi's Mansion, Dragon Warrior, Demon's Souls, XCOM: Enemy Within, 3D Space Harrier, Earthbound, Shining Force: Sword of Hajya, Ducktales Remastered, FF Legends II, FF Adventure, Dishonored, and every other game I played this year.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ThePirateCaptain

In chronological order:

Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition
The vast open world of Arkham City is a blast to play around in, and there's always something to do. Combine that with the strong combat mechanics and neat stealth sections, and you have a game that actually makes you feel like Batman.

Fire Emblem
The story was surprisingly good and the gameplay is what you'd expect from the series. An incredibly solid title overall that I put many hours into.

Luigi's Mansion
I missed out on this game when it first came out, but it still holds up. The mansion has a great atmosphere and is very fun to explore. The Portrait Ghosts also provided some very clever puzzles.

Injustice: Gods Among Us
I'm a pretty bug DC fan, but I've never been big on fighting games. The button combos are often too complicated for me to enjoy the game fully. This game however, is very easy to play. Any fighting game that can get me to play online and actually win was worth the money.

Sonic Generations
I can't think of a better way to celebrate Sonic's 20th Anniversary than with this game. It takes all the best parts from Sonic's many games and turns it all into and incredibly fun experience; a best hits of Sonic if you will.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Part visual novel, part point-and-click adventure game, one hundred percent fun. The excellent writing and storylines make something as mundane as playing as a lawyer one of the most entertaining experiences I've had this year.

La Mulana
One of the biggest surprises for me this year, La Mulana hooked me from the start. I really can't put into words how much this game pulled me into it's world and immersed me. It has devilishly clever puzzles and a great level of challenge. One of the most satisfying games I've played.

Fire Emblem: Awakening
My personal GOTY for 2013 if only for the fact that I played it for over 60 hours in a single playthrough. Not many games can get me to play that long, but this one did. It really freshened the Fire Emblem formula and I would say it's the best entry in the series to date.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Having just played the original for the first time this year, I really appreciate the improvements this game makes. I thought the environments were really great and every one of the mansions felt unique. The puzzles were also superb and really made you think without ever being too complicated.

Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Even as one of the people who liked the original, this game was a disappointment. It just didn't have the same feel as the original and it felt like the magic was gone.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Coming into PoR, I didn't expect to enjoy it quite as much as I did. It's still classic Fire Emblem, but additions like bonus exp and weapon crafting make it feel different enough while still having the challenging gameplay the series is known for.

Castlevania
If I could name one game that I felt the most accomplished after beating, Castlevania would probably be it. It's a hard game for sure, but memorizing the enemy patterns and finally getting that perfect run make it all worth it in the end.

Pikmin 2 Pikmin 2 frustrates me. That is the thing I felt most when playing the game, frustration. The caves really dragged down the game for me, and made the game more focused on combat rather than exploration and time management.

Pokemon LeafGreen
My first Pokemon game, and a pretty good game in general. The world of Kanto did feel a little unremarkable, but trying to hunt down rare Pokemon to fill out the Pokedex was quite addicting.

New Super Luigi U
This was another game that surprised me a lot this year. I thought it had the best level design in the NSMB series hands down, and the game was actually fairly challenging at times.

Mirror's Edge
Parkour is cool. A game about parkour is bound to be awesome right? For the most part yes. aside from some annoying combat and vague directions, Mirror's Edge is pretty solid.

Super Castlevania IV
If there was ever a Castlevania game to make you feel like a baddonkey, this is it. Simon controls so well in this game and it makes it a blast to play. The graphics also give off a really great Gothic feel along with the atmospheric music.

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
I admit I'm a pretty big Transformers fan, and this game feels like a love letter. Each character has unique abilities now and it gives the gameplay a lot more variety. There are also some great set pieces that really make it feel like you're in the middle of a desperate power struggle.

Hotline Miami
Yet again a game that came out of nowhere that I fell in love with. The gameplay is just outstanding. Planning how to perfectly kill every goon in a level without getting killed yourself is oh so satisfying. The retro 80's styled graphics and techno music only add to the game's charm. I'm highly anticipating the sequel later this year.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Much like La Mulana, It's hard to put into words why this game is so amazing. From the subtle yet efficient way it tells it's story to the breathtaking world and sense of progression, it's really an amazing achievement. The puzzles are also excellent, never too challenging, but always satisfying. Truly an experience everyone should have.

Also beaten but not mentioned above, Viewtiful Joe, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Code of Princess, Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure, Castlevania Bloodlines, Trauma Center: Under the Knife, Portal, DK: Jungle Climber, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Metroid, Starfox Assault, and Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion.

Edited on by ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

mookysam

10. Final Fantasy VIII - a very forward thinking game in many ways. Very clever junction system allows for lots of customisation. Edea's a minx and man with the machine gun rules.
9. Tearaway - gorgeous and innovative, it makes full use of the vita's unique features.
8. Skyrim - ginormous and breathtaking to explore. The dark brotherhood questline is hilarious.
7. The Legend of Zelda : A Link Between Worlds - the triumphant return of the overhead style and impressive level design and puzzles. A pure Zelda experience.
6. The Last of Us - sets a new benchmark for storytelling and acting in games. The narrative blends perfectly with the survival - horror esque gameplay.
5. Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow - metroidvania at its finest. The music rocks.
4. Dishonored - great stealth gameplay and impressive level design that allows objectives to be completed in any number of ways, topped off with a nice steampunk setting and attractive art style.
3. Mass Effect 3 - best game in the trilogy and I really enjoyed seeing old faces return.
2. Ni No Kuni : Wrath of the White Witch - lovely big good old fashioned JRPG
1. BioShock Infinite - outstanding story and beautiful setting with fast paced and fun gameplay.

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

CanisWolfred

mookysam wrote:

4. Dishonored - great stealth gameplay and impressive level design that allows objectives to be completed in any number of ways, topped off with a nice steampunk setting and attractive art style.

I knew I forgot an honorable mention.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

sub12
  • Resogun (PS4, save the last humans! Addicting little gem, and I love the online co-op, you really feel like a team)
  • Tomb Raider (X360, I just fell in love with exploring the island as I progressed, the outdoor environment, etc……..and the controls felt great, including the combat)
  • Rayman Legends (Wii-U, pretty much 2D platforming perfected, the controls may not be quite as tight as New Super Mario Bros. U, but the innovation, level design, and just the scale of the game, make up for it……….the inclusion of Rayman Origins was icing on the cake)
  • Super Mario 3D World (Wii-U, don’t really need to beat a dead horse, what everybody says about it is true, it may not be superior to, but I still think it deserves to sit along side SM64, Sunshine, and the two Galaxy games).
  • Forza Horizon (X360, I also really liked Need For Speed: Rivals, but I think this game won me over more so, the hipster attitude is a bit annoying, but the progression, and racing in general, everything is solid)

sub12

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

Yes, I'm saying it now - this is the next Okami.

I'm not sure I quite get this but in terms of being the next game everyone immediately considers a cult classic that will inevitably be 5-10X more popular in a decade or 2, I completely agree. I mean I'd bring up Xenoblade in that category but that could either be overshadowed by X (thus making it the next Demon's Souls) or will be re-released thus making it a decently known title much quicker (I guess, Shadow of the Colossus/Persona 4?)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

Top 12

12. Bioshock Infinite (PC): The original Bioshock managed to prove that even First Person Shooters can have enough lasting value and merit to be worth calling art. Infinite goes further in this direction. The thoughtful story, with its socio-political satire and VLR-esque plot twists, is somewhat awkward when juxtaposed against the utterly brutal combat, although this effect may be intentional to some degree. It is refreshing to see the developers take risks rather than staying safe and comfortable with another grimdark Bioshock game set in Rapture.

11. Gravity Rush (Vita): The game I originally wanted a Vita for, and it doesn't dissapoint. While the plot is nonsensical and it lacks gameplay variety, the unique art style, large open world, and intoxicating core gameplay mechanic make this a real joy to play. Flying Gravity Kicks are every bit as awesome as they sound.

10. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS): Tough-as-nails, but the responsive controls, intelligent level design, and gorgeous 3D visuals kept me coming back again and again until I collected everything and accessed every world. One of the best platformers I played this year.

9. Rayman Origins (Vita): In contrast to the awful 3DS port of Origins, the Vita port runs as smoothly as the console versions do. Moreover, the visuals pop more on the OLED screen. I actually played through most of this last year on my 360, but I never completed it in anticipation of doing a complete run-through on a handheld instead. As such, I one-hundred percented this when I got it on Vita through PS+ earlier this year. The game is a masterpiece, with its wacky humor, catchy soundtrack, challenging platforming, precise controls, and lovely art direction. It's also a perfect fit for the PS Vita.

8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS): This is a polished and gorgeous experience that has turned my entire family into a collection of fruit-collecting fiends. Questions about prices in the turnip market and comments about cute remarks made by one's animal neighbor now pass through my family as organically as any other subject of idle conversation. The multiplayer component in this game is perfect, and the wealth of customization options consumed me for a couple of months after I got it. Every now and then, I will still drop in on my town to see how they're getting along. Almost no game has this kind of staying power.

7. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS): I played through the first two games in this series in their entirety last year, and am in the process of playing the third. The game has a strong and involving plot that threads its way through the various cases. Although all of them are fun, the final two cases in particular really knock the ball out of the park story-wise. The music is always appropriate and a few tunes (Cornered, in particular) managed to become favorites of mine. The adventure gameplay is old-school and a lot of fun, and although it suffers from some of the problems inherent in adventure games, the game's logic is usually fairly consistent. I look forward to seeing whether Trials and Tribulations tops this.

6. Etrian Odyssey IV (3DS): This is easily the greatest and most expansive entry in one of Nintendo's best exclusive third-party series. The introduction of a difficulty level ensures they can preserve the series' hardcore difficulty for the long-time fans while also not scaring off new players. The new 3D models for the enemies are gorgeous, the 3D effect is awesome, the OST includes some of the best music I've ever heard from a 3DS game, and there is enough exploration outside of dungeons that the game truly feels like an epic adventure.

5. Pokemon X and Y (3DS): While not perfect by any means (the 3D is simply awful and the plot and characters aren't half as interesting as in Black/White), the number of advances made in other areas truly represent a revolution in the world of Pokemon. The most obvious and immediate change is the move away from 3D sprites to fully animated 3D models. Pokemon feel alive in ways that they never did in older titles, and character models are more detailed and expressive than ever. I LOVE the fact that these games allow you to customize your trainer in a multitide of fun ways. Pokemon Amie is likewise another hugely entertaining addition to the series, and goes even further in making them feel more like pets than mere weapons. Perhaps the biggest and most important changes come in the ways that these games have expanded the series' important multiplayer elements. Battling other trainers online has never been easier, and with the significant role streetpasses play in the games, the games have begun to feel social in a deeper sense than ever before. I'll be harder on future games if the problems in this one aren't fixed, but considering the number of huge improvements made in so many areas, I'm willing to give those a pass.

4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS): The best 2D Zelda game ever made. This combined all the things I loved about older Zeldas-- the weird humor, simplified combat and gameplay, emphasis on putting gameplay first-- and stripped out all of the things I disliked about older Zeldas: chiefly, wandering around aimlessly without a clue as to where to go next and the overall linearity of the experience. The game by no means holds your hand, but it was fairly simple to figure out what to do next. The plot is a bit simple but appropriate for the purposes of this game. The ability to complete dungeons in almost any order is refreshing and made me feel more like I was going on a real adventure rather than merely hunting for the next waypoint in game progress. Weapon renting is a similarly welcome change. The wall merging mechanic is neat and used to full effect throughout the game in the exploration of dungeons and, ultimately, in the final boss fight. The visuals are simply superb, with the 3D running a silky smooth 60 FPS. Best of all, the 3D, while not required, is actually very useful to the gameplay, as knowing the depth of an object or enemy often makes the game that much easier. Overall, the only problem with this is that it is short. Too short. It's a real pity that such a wonderful experience is over so soon.

3. Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS): Having never played a Fire Emblem game before, this one really took me by surprise. The depth of both the combat system and the character development is astonishing. They took something that would likely have been a minor element in a lesser game, the support conversations, and used them to make you feel like you really were getting to know these people as they meet, spar, bicker, and fall in love. The cutscenes are also unusually gorgeous, and were not something I was expecting to see in a 3DS game. Adding the plot and huge wealth of side and post-game content, this is almost a perfect game..

2. Persona 4 Golden (Vita): A strange yet perfect combination of dungeon-crawling and life-sim elements. This has, by far, the greatest OST I've ever heard in a video game. Bar none. The mystery story, while not terribly deep, helps to structure the game, but mostly stays out of the way in order to let the game's captivating, well-scripted characters take the spotlight. Everything here is so much fun that I didn't even notice that my initial playthrough was in the 70 hour mark. I am now playing through again to access the various dialogue options I missed out on the first time around. I restarted right away. I never do that. The game is just that much fun.

1. Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS): There is so much I could say about this game. The deep combat system. The expansive mythology behind all of the demons. The addictive, Pokemon-like collection aspect. The dark, complex story. The masterful OST. The satisfying difficulty. The wealth of options at every turn. The gorgeous dungeons. The huge amount of replayability with three unique endings. The occasional muddy cut-scene and confusing overworld map can't spoil one of the best RPGs ever made.

Honorable Mention:
Ridiculous Fishing (Android): Yes, yes, I know, it's a mobile game, but this title is just obscenely fun and had me addicted for hours on end. The process of going as deep as I can, dodging strays and chainsawing through clusters of fish, then reeling them back up and blowing them away in the sky, only to purchase another crazy upgrade and repeat the process again consumed me for a few days. Also love the fake social networking platform in the game. The attention to detail is unusual for a mobile experience.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.