Other Gaming Forum

Topic: Argument for PC gaming

Showing 21 to 40 of 48

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SkywardLink98

21. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Um. Why are people comparing Steam (a digital download service) with full-priced retail boxes with console gaming.

Have you ever used steam? As an example, I have Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, two boxed retail games and I paid $10 for them in a bundle. How much would you have paid for it at gamestop at the same time? $20? For one? Another example: I saw Portal 2 for sale awhile ago for $5. How much would you have paid for that? Steam isn't about cheap eShop grade titles, it's full-fledged retail games at cheap prices.

*Opinions, views, and/or biases are all subject to change on a regular basis.
Sorry everyone, but GLaDOS has been delayed.
Bergmite, Piloswine and Snover safari.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

22. Posted:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Bankai wrote:

Um. Why are people comparing Steam (a digital download service) with full-priced retail boxes with console gaming.

Have you ever used steam? As an example, I have Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, two boxed retail games and I paid $10 for them in a bundle. How much would you have paid for it at gamestop at the same time? $20? For one? Another example: I saw Portal 2 for sale awhile ago for $5. How much would you have paid for that? Steam isn't about cheap eShop grade titles, it's full-fledged retail games at cheap prices.

You missed the point.

Compare Steam to PSN, not retail.

/argument.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SMEXIZELDAMAN

23. Posted:

Omg this thread has argument in the title lets kill it :O

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gamesake

24. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Um. Why are people comparing Steam (a digital download service) with full-priced retail boxes with console gaming.

Let's make this game more interesting.

PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Plus.

Say you buy the console for $300. PlayStation Plus for one year is, what, $AU70? So, $370. And that includes something like 24 free games through the year. That would be enough for many people, but let's be generous and say there are four games that you really want to play that aren't Plus, and you pay $AU60 for each of those off the PSN.

So $610

Now gaming PC at $500 and 28 (24+4) games at an average price of $15

$920

Same number of games.

PS3 wins. Effortlessly.

But Steam also has free games and better because you don't have to keep paying a monthly fee to have access to them. You also don't need to pay Steam to get their best sale prices.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WesCash

25. Posted:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

PC's are just way too hardcore for Bankai and yourself... Probably better off to just stick with the kasual konsole krowd ;) I refer to them as the KKK.

Lol.

WesCash

3DS Friend Code: 2019-9710-8219

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SkywardLink98

26. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Bankai wrote:

Um. Why are people comparing Steam (a digital download service) with full-priced retail boxes with console gaming.

Have you ever used steam? As an example, I have Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, two boxed retail games and I paid $10 for them in a bundle. How much would you have paid for it at gamestop at the same time? $20? For one? Another example: I saw Portal 2 for sale awhile ago for $5. How much would you have paid for that? Steam isn't about cheap eShop grade titles, it's full-fledged retail games at cheap prices.

You missed the point.

Compare Steam to PSN, not retail.

/argument.

But Steam is retail for PC owners. I only own 3 boxed games for PC, Guild Wars 2, Starcraft 2, and Age of Empires 3. The rest of my retail games I got at $5 or so on steam. The digital games for PC would be places like humblebundle, indieroyale, etc. where you get 6 games for around $6.06 (current price on indieroyale).

*Opinions, views, and/or biases are all subject to change on a regular basis.
Sorry everyone, but GLaDOS has been delayed.
Bergmite, Piloswine and Snover safari.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

27. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Lan wrote:

Comes out pretty even, but who buys just six games? My Steam Library alone has 83 games....

...a lot more people than those who buy 83+ games.

We're on a Nintendo forum, where a gamer is asking for opinions about getting a PC for his gaming needs. It's pretty obvious who this argument is aimed at, and its not the guy who only buys 6 games.

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Swiket

28. Posted:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

But Steam is retail for PC owners. I only own 3 boxed games for PC, Guild Wars 2, Starcraft 2, and Age of Empires 3. The rest of my retail games I got at $5 or so on steam. The digital games for PC would be places like humblebundle, indieroyale, etc. where you get 6 games for around $6.06 (current price on indieroyale).

I think retail is the retail for PC owners.

I had fun once and it was awful.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4964-0323

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

29. Posted:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Bankai wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Bankai wrote:

Um. Why are people comparing Steam (a digital download service) with full-priced retail boxes with console gaming.

Have you ever used steam? As an example, I have Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, two boxed retail games and I paid $10 for them in a bundle. How much would you have paid for it at gamestop at the same time? $20? For one? Another example: I saw Portal 2 for sale awhile ago for $5. How much would you have paid for that? Steam isn't about cheap eShop grade titles, it's full-fledged retail games at cheap prices.

You missed the point.

Compare Steam to PSN, not retail.

/argument.

But Steam is retail for PC owners. I only own 3 boxed games for PC, Guild Wars 2, Starcraft 2, and Age of Empires 3. The rest of my retail games I got at $5 or so on steam. The digital games for PC would be places like humblebundle, indieroyale, etc. where you get 6 games for around $6.06 (current price on indieroyale).

And I buy almost all of my games as downloadables now.

What's your point? PC gaming is still just as expensive as console gaming if you go into a shop and buy the boxes off the shelves.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

30. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Lan wrote:

Comes out pretty even, but who buys just six games? My Steam Library alone has 83 games....

...a lot more people than those who buy 83+ games.

We're on a Nintendo forum, where a gamer is asking for opinions about getting a PC for his gaming needs. It's pretty obvious who this argument is aimed at, and its not the guy who only buys 6 games.

Semantics!

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FOREST_RANGER

31. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Um. Why are people comparing Steam (a digital download service) with full-priced retail boxes with console gaming.

Because online-distribution is what PC users pretty much use now. And there's also Apple's Mac App store for the Macintosh computers.

And let me be clear that this is for all software, not just games.

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

32. Posted:

FOREST_RANGER wrote:

Bankai wrote:

Um. Why are people comparing Steam (a digital download service) with full-priced retail boxes with console gaming.

Because online-distribution is what PC users pretty much use now. And there's also Apple's Mac App store for the Macintosh computers.

And let me be clear that this is for all software, not just games.

But they still have Retail games sold at Retail prices. At retail. The cheaper games are indie, or other significantly smaller scale games. People aren't getting Call-of-Duty level games at $5 within their first year, their getting them at $30-$50+, just like on consoles. You don't compare apples to oranges, so don't compare indie bundles to AAA games.

If you're talking about indie games on PC and indie games on consoles, the price numbers are quite even, actually.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FOREST_RANGER

33. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

But they still have Retail games sold at Retail prices. At retail. The cheaper games are indie, or other significantly smaller scale games. People aren't getting Call-of-Duty level games at $5 within their first year, their getting them at $30-$50+, just like on consoles. You don't compare apples to oranges, so don't compare indie bundles to AAA games.

If you're talking about indie games on PC and indie games on consoles, the price numbers are quite even, actually.

At this instance, I'm not arguing that PC games are cheaper than console games (though it could happen if one knows what to do). I'm just saying that retail games are much less relevant in the PC game world than the console world. There are likely still many people downloading AAA games regardless of price.

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

34. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

FOREST_RANGER wrote:

Bankai wrote:

Um. Why are people comparing Steam (a digital download service) with full-priced retail boxes with console gaming.

Because online-distribution is what PC users pretty much use now. And there's also Apple's Mac App store for the Macintosh computers.

And let me be clear that this is for all software, not just games.

But they still have Retail games sold at Retail prices. At retail. The cheaper games are indie, or other significantly smaller scale games. People aren't getting Call-of-Duty level games at $5 within their first year, their getting them at $30-$50+, just like on consoles. You don't compare apples to oranges, so don't compare indie bundles to AAA games.

If you're talking about indie games on PC and indie games on consoles, the price numbers are quite even, actually.

+1

Also, once again, the PSN/ XBLA Download platforms are not really any different to Steam.

The only difference is she. You try and compare a download service to retail. Of course retail is going to come out looking worse.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

35. Posted:

FOREST_RANGER wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

But they still have Retail games sold at Retail prices. At retail. The cheaper games are indie, or other significantly smaller scale games. People aren't getting Call-of-Duty level games at $5 within their first year, their getting them at $30-$50+, just like on consoles. You don't compare apples to oranges, so don't compare indie bundles to AAA games.

If you're talking about indie games on PC and indie games on consoles, the price numbers are quite even, actually.

At this instance, I'm not arguing that PC games are cheaper than console games (though it could happen if one knows what to do). I'm just saying that retail games are much less relevant in the PC game world than the console world. There are likely still many people downloading AAA games regardless of price.

Yes, but other people are using Steam as a way of showing how PC gaming is cheaper when compared to full retail priced console games, ignoring the fact several key factors that breaks down their argument. I know I quoted you, but that was only because you were at the bottom of the page, it was more directed at the others.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FOREST_RANGER

36. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Yes, but other people are using Steam as a way of showing how PC gaming is cheaper when compared to full retail priced console games, ignoring the fact several key factors that breaks down their argument. I know I quoted you, but that was only because you were at the bottom of the page, it was more directed at the others.

Lol, I'll argue for the PC game crowd, but it isn't much. If Steam has more frequent, lower cost sales than Xbox LIVE or PSN, then Steam users will likely spend less money on games in general. I don't know about PS Plus though :P

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OverturePT

37. Posted:

Even if you forget about digital downloads (which in my opinion the PC has much better pricing), the retail prices, boxed games and whatnot, are still cheaper for PC, especially if you buy new (49$ against 69$ on most cases). A lot of people buy used too, and a 20$ drop on a console puts it on pair with the PC version (new!), that even if it only drops 10$ it's still 10$ cheaper than on the consoles. The hardware may be more expensive but there's no contest in terms of games pricing.

Edited on by OverturePT

OverturePT

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintenzo

38. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

the hardware isn't 7/8 years old like this gens consoles so graphics and performance can easily be better than a console,

The downside to this though is that you have to buy a new graphics card every year. XD

BBBBBBackloggery

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6913-6784 | Nintendo Network ID: Akantares | Twitter: Nintenzo_

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FOREST_RANGER

39. Posted:

Let me re-phrase the argument for PC games: you might have a better experience of getting games through the internet rather than the retail. So you'll likely be more engaged in PC gaming if you have a good internet connection.

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage
Avatar

V8_Ninja

40. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Let's make this game more interesting.

PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Plus.

Say you buy the console for $300. PlayStation Plus for one year is, what, $AU70? So, $370. And that includes something like 24 free games through the year. That would be enough for many people, but let's be generous and say there are four games that you really want to play that aren't Plus, and you pay $AU60 for each of those off the PSN.

So $610

Now gaming PC at $500 and 28 (24+4) games at an average price of $15

$920

Same number of games.

PS3 wins. Effortlessly.

If you're going to include the free PS+ games, than it would be incomplete to not mention the various PC game sales that happen everywhere almost all of the time. Not only can a PC game-playing individual buy a dozen games from Steam for less than $3 US each at this very moment, but sites like Green Man Gaming are entirely built around sales for downloadable PC games. There's also the fact that PS+ does not give the player the choice of what games they get for their money, where as buying them on the PC does. Also, as some have mentioned, PS+ expires and it's benefits while account-based services don't.

(To be fair/accurate, you really should have bumped up that $500 to an $800. While $500 can set you back a laptop with a decent graphics card, $800 is the accepted lowest standard of what a gaming computer should cost, and that's if you're using custom parts.)

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
A (Former) News Reporter/Opinionated Editorial Writer/Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.