Other Gaming Forum

Topic: Another Final Fantasy iOS game!

Showing 41 to 60 of 79

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

41. Posted:

Knux wrote:

The once almighty Square Enix who used to make amazing games like Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger are now reduced to being iOS money-making machines. I'm really getting tired of their lack of support for the 3DS or Vita. There are like three of their 3DS games that I would love to see localized, but either SE is taking their good sweet time or doesn't give a sh*t.

Lack of support for 3DS? They released like five games since it started :O

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery
LordJumpMad is emperor. U mad?

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

42. Posted:

TysonOfTime wrote:

'Kay. When does DQX come out on iOS?

Or any DQ games for that matter :D

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

43. Posted:

Why are people acting like it's a bad thing that SE is focusing on iOS?

Being on iOS doesn't make a game less of a game. (remember, the games make the platform, not the other way around). I'll admit, I used to be an iOS skeptic too, but then I played Chaos Rings, and my fears were laid to rest (it's easily in my top 10 JRPGs).

I can't comment on this particular release, as I haven't seen anything of it, though.

If you're wanting news on BD:FF &/or DQVII for 3DS, I wouldn't start to worry unless the titles go unmentioned by E3 (or possibly even TGS). Believe me, I want them too.

Currently Playing:

Red Dead Redemption (360)

Smashatar of the week: Charizard firing it up!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TysonOfTime

44. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

Why are people acting like it's a bad thing that SE is focusing on iOS?

Being on iOS doesn't make a game less of a game. (remember, the games make the platform, not the other way around). I'll admit, I used to be an iOS skeptic too, but then I played Chaos Rings, and my fears were laid to rest (it's easily in my top 10 JRPGs).

I can't comment on this particular release, as I haven't seen anything of it, though.

If you're wanting news on BD:FF &/or DQVII for 3DS, I wouldn't start to worry unless the titles go unmentioned by E3 (or possibly even TGS). Believe me, I want them too.

It's not a bad thing. In fact, if Bankai's continued statements are true, it's very profitable for SE.
However, this one, unlike their previous iOS ventures, looks genuinely BAD. Go look it up. It makes me mad. This stuff is getting SE's focus and not amazing looking things like Bravely Default and DQ X? We haven't heard anything about localization for those.

Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

45. Posted:

Which iOS game do you reccoment I buy in order to "LIKE" iOS gaming, I've tried MM2, SSFIV, FFIII, and Ghost n Goblins and honestly I prefer them played on 3DS, because even RPGs scare me on iOS based on Denpa Men, and Pokemon, but IDK, maybe DQVII will change my mind.

Edited on by Hokori

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TysonOfTime

46. Posted:

Hokori wrote:

Which iOS game do you reccoment I buy in order to "LIKE" iOS gaming, I've tried MM2, SSFIV, FFIII, and Ghost n Goblins and honestly I prefer them played on 3DS

Probably the one's designed for the system. Like the Infinity Blades, whatever that other adventure game was... Horn, that's it.
Chaos Rings is supposedly amazing as well.

But I'll agree with not liking its ports. That MMX one makes me shudder. And this game and Xover make me think whether or not the big guys are even trying, because there are MUCH MORE better looking games on the device than the ones made by AAA developers.
Eckh.

Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

47. Posted:

TysonOfTime wrote:

RR529 wrote:

Why are people acting like it's a bad thing that SE is focusing on iOS?

Being on iOS doesn't make a game less of a game. (remember, the games make the platform, not the other way around). I'll admit, I used to be an iOS skeptic too, but then I played Chaos Rings, and my fears were laid to rest (it's easily in my top 10 JRPGs).

I can't comment on this particular release, as I haven't seen anything of it, though.

If you're wanting news on BD:FF &/or DQVII for 3DS, I wouldn't start to worry unless the titles go unmentioned by E3 (or possibly even TGS). Believe me, I want them too.

It's not a bad thing. In fact, if Bankai's continued statements are true, it's very profitable for SE.
However, this one, unlike their previous iOS ventures, looks genuinely BAD. Go look it up. It makes me mad. This stuff is getting SE's focus and not amazing looking things like Bravely Default and DQ X? We haven't heard anything about localization for those.

It's also the cheapest of all Square Enix's games on iOS. It's $6 or so for the game. Yes there's DLC and all that, but compare to Final Fantasy IV ($16), Chaos Rings ($20) and so on, and it's pretty clear that this game took about a day for the work experience kid to throw together.

To suggest that SE focused any real resources on making it is crazy.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

48. Posted:

Yeah I've thought about Chaos Rings, but still I think I'd like all my games on one system for now.. We'll see though if iPads win me over

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TysonOfTime

49. Posted:

Yeah... I suppose so. Makes sense. But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

50. Posted:

LZBirdboi wrote:

Hokori wrote:

Some of us you know... Want buttons

Granted! http://www.icontrolpad.com/

I've seen, like, 5 different controllers for iOS. That's gotta be the worst one I've seen. Now this on the otherhand: http://kotaku.com/5947934/the-first-apple+approved-ipad-iphon...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HandheldGuru97

51. Posted:

I just watched a video on this game...my decision to change my username has been justified. Now to go play Theatrhythm and hope that one day we will see a Chrono Trigger Theatrhythm on the 3DS (or Vita or both).

Formally Square-enixFan, Neo-GeoFan. A lover of fine games and handhelds..(Tiger Game.com not included in either category!!!)
The 3DS XL is amazing. Much games... ^_^
Backloggery
Check my Youtube channel out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/HandheldGuru97

3DS Friend Code: 1289-8230-2854 | Nintendo Network ID: Square_Enix_Fan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

52. Posted:

Hokori wrote:

Some of us you know... Want buttons

It's ok, you're allowed to like iPad. The Japanese go "kawaiiiiiiii" over them.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

53. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Hokori wrote:

Some of us you know... Want buttons

It's ok, you're allowed to like iPad. The Japanese go "kawaiiiiiiii" over them.

Apple-u desu-neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

onii-chan

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

54. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

TysonOfTime wrote:

RR529 wrote:

Why are people acting like it's a bad thing that SE is focusing on iOS?

Being on iOS doesn't make a game less of a game. (remember, the games make the platform, not the other way around). I'll admit, I used to be an iOS skeptic too, but then I played Chaos Rings, and my fears were laid to rest (it's easily in my top 10 JRPGs).

I can't comment on this particular release, as I haven't seen anything of it, though.

If you're wanting news on BD:FF &/or DQVII for 3DS, I wouldn't start to worry unless the titles go unmentioned by E3 (or possibly even TGS). Believe me, I want them too.

It's not a bad thing. In fact, if Bankai's continued statements are true, it's very profitable for SE.
However, this one, unlike their previous iOS ventures, looks genuinely BAD. Go look it up. It makes me mad. This stuff is getting SE's focus and not amazing looking things like Bravely Default and DQ X? We haven't heard anything about localization for those.

It's also the cheapest of all Square Enix's games on iOS. It's $6 or so for the game. Yes there's DLC and all that, but compare to Final Fantasy IV ($16), Chaos Rings ($20) and so on, and it's pretty clear that this game took about a day for the work experience kid to throw together.

To suggest that SE focused any real resources on making it is crazy.

The fact that they're charging that much money for the game is kind of crazy. I doubt 1/4 of the resources went into this game as Chaos Rings. That's part of why many, myself included, can't help but see it in bad taste. It sullies what Square Enix stands for if they put out stuff that isn't quality. I don't think anyone wants that.

As for the iOS like/dislike comments, I don't think the lack of buttons is all there is to it. Every time I play an iOS game, there's that something about it that makes it feel... iOS-y. What I mean is that there's a certain quality about every iOS game I've played that makes it seem not quite as proffesional as the stuff put on consoles. Even games like Infinity Blade and Chaos Rings feel like mobile games (I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way, but just that mobile games haven't quite come out of their shells, at least in regards to what I've played. Considering that I've tried most of the high profile stuff, I feel I can talk about it, though I haven't tried out Baldur's Gate or Baroque).
And even if people don't like iOS games simply because they lack buttons, is it so wrong? There's tons of people who don't like genres or playstyles. Some prefer certain things over others. Just look at the whole FPS control method debacle. Instead of saying "you suck for liking ___" or "you're not a real gamer if you don't like _____", lets just accept our differences and move on. We all like video games. I don't see why it matters so greatly which ones on which platform.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

55. Posted:

moomoo wrote:

Bankai wrote:

TysonOfTime wrote:

RR529 wrote:

Why are people acting like it's a bad thing that SE is focusing on iOS?

Being on iOS doesn't make a game less of a game. (remember, the games make the platform, not the other way around). I'll admit, I used to be an iOS skeptic too, but then I played Chaos Rings, and my fears were laid to rest (it's easily in my top 10 JRPGs).

I can't comment on this particular release, as I haven't seen anything of it, though.

If you're wanting news on BD:FF &/or DQVII for 3DS, I wouldn't start to worry unless the titles go unmentioned by E3 (or possibly even TGS). Believe me, I want them too.

It's not a bad thing. In fact, if Bankai's continued statements are true, it's very profitable for SE.
However, this one, unlike their previous iOS ventures, looks genuinely BAD. Go look it up. It makes me mad. This stuff is getting SE's focus and not amazing looking things like Bravely Default and DQ X? We haven't heard anything about localization for those.

It's also the cheapest of all Square Enix's games on iOS. It's $6 or so for the game. Yes there's DLC and all that, but compare to Final Fantasy IV ($16), Chaos Rings ($20) and so on, and it's pretty clear that this game took about a day for the work experience kid to throw together.

To suggest that SE focused any real resources on making it is crazy.

The fact that they're charging that much money for the game is kind of crazy. I doubt 1/4 of the resources went into this game as Chaos Rings. That's part of why many, myself included, can't help but see it in bad taste. It sullies what Square Enix stands for if they put out stuff that isn't quality. I don't think anyone wants that.

As for the iOS like/dislike comments, I don't think the lack of buttons is all there is to it. Every time I play an iOS game, there's that something about it that makes it feel... iOS-y. What I mean is that there's a certain quality about every iOS game I've played that makes it seem not quite as proffesional as the stuff put on consoles. Even games like Infinity Blade and Chaos Rings feel like mobile games (I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way, but just that mobile games haven't quite come out of their shells, at least in regards to what I've played. Considering that I've tried most of the high profile stuff, I feel I can talk about it, though I haven't tried out Baldur's Gate or Baroque).
And even if people don't like iOS games simply because they lack buttons, is it so wrong? There's tons of people who don't like genres or playstyles. Some prefer certain things over others. Just look at the whole FPS control method debacle. Instead of saying "you suck for liking ___" or "you're not a real gamer if you don't like _____", lets just accept our differences and move on. We all like video games. I don't see why it matters so greatly which ones on which platform.

When those someones repeat "I HATE NO BUTTONS" in every iOS conversation that springs up it goes beyond the "my opinion" defence to genuinely obnoxious.

Regarding your "iOS-y" comment. Did you know that frog's legs, a delicacy in France, is something a lot of tourists try while in France and the common perception is that it "tastes like chicken."

It doesn't really taste like chicken at all. It's a mass delusion. They've done studies on it. People are given the dish without being told what it is. They don't believe it tastes like chicken. People are given the dish and told they are eating frog's legs. A sizable number report that it "tastes like chicken."

Mind-over-matter is proven to be able to affect a person's sense of taste.

It's just an example, and I'm just theorising here, but you're a guy that's not a fan of iOS gaming in principle (I base this on your previous comments about iOS gaming). It's entirely possible that the reason you think iOS games feel "iOS-y" is because you're actively resisting enjoying the games. Often times when people are describing an X-factor or lack thereof, it's because their predetermined biases are telling them to like/ dislike something, and because they can't logically explain their perspective, they instead put it down to a quality/ lack of quality that can't really be measured/ seen.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

56. Posted:

@Bankai I don't know if that's exactly it. Game Dev Story and Hook Champ are two games that I've put a lot of time into and really enjoyed. Heck, I'd say Hook Champ is among my favorite portable games. It's not as much that I highly dislike it as it is that I don't think it has fully hit its stride yet.

I don't know. There's just something... off... about nearly every game I've played on the device (by the way, not evey game feels like it. Just the vast majority, including much of the higher profile stuff). I can't put a name on it, and I doubt it's a single factor. It's probably a conglomeration of little factors that makes me feel that way. Maybe it's the way that menus are. Maybe it's the way the games run. Maybe it's that lack of buttons. But none of those bother me individually.

Also, just to point out, I think I'm pretty positive on the whole iOS gaming thing. Based on my comments on the thread for it, I've been pretty positive when it comes to the games themselves, pointing out good stuff I've played and religiously recommending Hook Champ out the wazoo. My negativity has been towards comments like "it's so powerful", etc.

Anyways, back to the topic. Just found this. It's worse than I thought. http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/final-fantas...

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TysonOfTime

57. Posted:

@Bankai
When I was initially introduced to iOS gaming a couple years back, I was hooked. I immediately bought a whole bunch of pretty decent games and played them each a fair amount of time. But then, the feeling started. It kept growing as I played more. There's a difference that I can feel in all of them.
It's by no means bad, I didn't stop enjoying them then, but the difference became more apparent to me. It seems like all the games, save for a choice few, continue to have this feeling very specific to the platform. I can't explain what it is, and I can't say it harms the games, but It feels odd to me, and I feel like it's a reason I'm now hesitant to play iOS games more. (Besides Jetpack Joyride, I can always come back to that game.)

But anyways, back on topic: regardless of how long they took to make it, I'm enjoying this idea of making an effortless FF game just as much as I enjoy stab wounds and the fact that MegamanXover exists.

Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

58. Posted:

TysonOfTime wrote:

@Bankai
When I was initially introduced to iOS gaming a couple years back, I was hooked. I immediately bought a whole bunch of pretty decent games and played them each a fair amount of time. But then, the feeling started. It kept growing as I played more. There's a difference that I can feel in all of them.
It's by no means bad, I didn't stop enjoying them then, but the difference became more apparent to me. It seems like all the games, save for a choice few, continue to have this feeling very specific to the platform. I can't explain what it is, and I can't say it harms the games, but It feels odd to me, and I feel like it's a reason I'm now hesitant to play iOS games more. (Besides Jetpack Joyride, I can always come back to that game.)

But anyways, back on topic: regardless of how long they took to make it, I'm enjoying this idea of making an effortless FF game just as much as I enjoy stab wounds and the fact that MegamanXover exists.

That's the thing that always bugs me the most. When people talk about iOS gaming not giving them enough of an experience, they inevitably list the cheap minigames as examples.

Jetpack Joyride, Angry Birds, Game Dev Story - these games are great, yes, and they're a lot of fun. But if you're using those as measures of the best that iOS offers, you're not doing it right.

Baldur's Gate, Civilization Revolution, Romance of the Three Kingdoms - these games (and a whole load more, I guarantee) are full featured, console-or-PC quality games. No one ever mentions those when they say "iOS gaming is lacking." Either they haven't looked for them or aren't willing to spend more than $10 on a game on iOS.

This is not a criticism of you folks, but if you're going to claim iOS gaming is lacking, don't use the cheap minigames as examples. That's like claiming Ninjabread Man represents Wii gaming in any meaningful way.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TysonOfTime

59. Posted:

Woah, I only go back to it because it's a cheap minigame. I know it's not representative of what iOS offers, but I have it and it's decent to play for a couple minutes. Would rather get deeper games, but I don't have an tablet to myself, so I limit what I put into the system.

(But you have to admit, the cheap minigames are a huge percentage of iOS games, and also most of the time, the face of it.)

Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

60. Posted:

Funny waltz didn't see my second post

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }