Forums

Topic: 2015 will be as remarkable as 2011

Posts 21 to 40 of 42

CanisWolfred

Uncharted 3 wasn't as good as 2 and went well past my comfortable limit for QTEs (though I'll admit the first two were close to said limit...), nearly everything about Skyward Sword annoyed the crap out of me, and LittleBig Planet 2 failed to address any of the problems in LittleBig Planet...

At least Skyrim, Arkham City, and inFamous 2 were good, though in retrospect I wouldn't say any of them were spectacular.

Also Bastion still exists? I honestly forgot about that...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Gamer83

2007 was easily the best year of the last generation. 2009 had a lot of my favorites as well, not sure I'd say as good as 2011 but it's close. All 3 of those were great years though, no reason to downplay them. But I definitely wouldn't put them up with the prime years of PS2 and certainly the 90s was the golden decade for this industry. It could just be nostalgia but it seemed like most years in the 90s were stacked and certainly during the 16-bit era the industry was at one of its highest points in terms of creativity.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

icecreamperson

Gamer83 wrote:

2007 was easily the best year of the last generation. 2009 had a lot of my favorites as well, not sure I'd say as good as 2011 but it's close. All 3 of those were great years though, no reason to downplay them. But I definitely wouldn't put them up with the prime years of PS2 and certainly the 90s was the golden decade for this industry. It could just be nostalgia but it seemed like most years in the 90s were stacked and certainly during the 16-bit era the industry was at one of its highest points in terms of creativity.

Just to be clear i wasn't downplaying them. Each year bring it's own great titles, even this year had some awesome games.

icecreamperson

icecreamperson

CanisWolfred wrote:

Uncharted 3 wasn't as good as 2 and went well past my comfortable limit for QTEs (though I'll admit the first two were close to said limit...), nearly everything about Skyward Sword annoyed the crap out of me, and LittleBig Planet 2 failed to address any of the problems in LittleBig Planet...

At least Skyrim, Arkham City, and inFamous 2 were good, though in retrospect I wouldn't say any of them were spectacular.

I see where you're coming from. I totally forgot about Bastion as well,
you can't forget super mario 3d land, sonic generations, portal 2.

icecreamperson

Ralizah

icecreamperson wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

icecreamperson wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

icecreamperson wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

2011 was "the best year in gaming?" How young are you?

There was nothing particularly great about 2011, it just wasn't a complete disappointment like most of 2014.
In no particular order, zelda u, splatoon, the witcher 3,
Unless there are some serious delays, though, I do expect 2015 to be one of the industry's best years since 2007. Long-awaited sequels like Persona 5 and Metal Gear Solid V are coming out. Creative new properties like Splatoon and No Man's Sky are releasing. Two potentially great console RPGS (FF Type-0 HD and Xenoblade Chronicles X) are releasing for sure. The Legend of Zelda is getting what looks to be a massive re-invention in its first Wii U entry. Several AAA blockbusters are lined up by third parties. 3DS is set to have a strong first quarter, at least. Even Microsoft looks to be releasing some interesting exclusives.

I don't believe uncharted 3, skyward sword, skyrim, bastion, infamous 2, littlebigplanet 2, batman arkham city were disappointments.

Half-Life. Ocarina of Time. Starcraft. Grim Fandango. Banjo Kazooie. Metal Gear Solid. Fallout 2. Resident Evil 2. Crash Bandicoot: Warped. Sonic Adventure. Xenogears. Pokemon Red and Blue.

No offense, but 1998 laughs at your 2011.

Also, regarding 2007, think about the new franchises or series that were born out of that year: Modern Warfare. Portal. Bioshock. Assassin's Creed. The Witcher. Uncharted. Not to mention amazing sequels like Mario Galaxy and GoW2.

Castlevania: Bloodlines. Doom 2. Earthworm Jim. Final Fantasy III (VI, actually, but whatever). Sonic the Hedgehog 3. Sonic and Knuckles. Super Metroid. Donkey Kong Country. 1994. I would put those games up against almost anything that came out in 2011.

2001 was also pretty fruitful, with GTA III, Halo, SSB Melee, Final Fantasy X, Silent Hill 2, Twisted Metal: Black, Devil May Cry, and Pikmin.

2004 had GTA: San Andreas, HL2, Halo 2, MGS3 and Twin Snakes, Doom 3, Fable, Metroid Prime 2, Metroid: Zero Mission, and Paper Mario: TTYD.

Not trying to say 2011 was a bad year for video games. It wasn't. But it is FAR from the best.

Perhaps I was unfair. 2011 saw some strong releases. 2011 overall was stronger than most of the years following it. Is that fair?

Agreed. Of course every year in gaming has it's strong points. Honestly, 2007 could easily be the best year in gaming

Very true. Every year has at least a few great releases.

What would you say your top 5 most anticipated games of 2015 are?

In no particular order zelda u, the witcher 3, battlefront 3, batman arkham knight. How about you?

Metal Gear Solid V, Persona 5, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Zelda U, and Splatoon. Also in no particular order. The thought of any of those games makes me giddy with anticipation.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

brooks83

Umm, clearly 2006 was the best year ever for video games. Sonic 06 anyone?

In all seriousness, if I had to pick a best year ever for games it would be sometime in the 90s. In my opinion gaming just hasn't been all that exciting since then.

brooks83

CaviarMeths

A little OT, but was did Uncharted get any better in the gameplay department after the first?

I really liked it at the beginning, but it soon settled into a
walk 5 steps -> half hour repetitive shootout sequence -> 5 minutes of bad early 90s grade 3D platforming -> another half hour shootout sequence -> nice cutscene -> bad platforming -> 30 minute shootout...

So, did UC2 fix that?

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

mookysam

CanisWolfred wrote:

I thought Bastion had been sent to an alternate dimension and wiped from all conscious existence; the memory of its name kept only by mute nuns in Tibet. My mistake.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

rallydefault

Ah! Poor Bastion. That was a fun little game, though. I played through it a few times. I'm not rabid for it like the internet seems to be, though. It was a fun game but a short game.

Lots of strong arguments for good years in gaming, but really it's nothing that can ever be decided objectively. 1998 with the first release of Pokemon does make a pretty good argument, though. Such a key game in the history of the hobby.

I've been gaming since the 80s, and I feel that the hobby has gone downhill since the 90s. Just my opinion, but a valid opinion nonetheless. I do look forward to some revivals and new IPs this year, though.

rallydefault

Ralek85

CaviarMeths wrote:

A little OT, but was did Uncharted get any better in the gameplay department after the first?

I really liked it at the beginning, but it soon settled into a
walk 5 steps -> half hour repetitive shootout sequence -> 5 minutes of bad early 90s grade 3D platforming -> another half hour shootout sequence -> nice cutscene -> bad platforming -> 30 minute shootout...

So, did UC2 fix that?

Uhm not, it was still a 3D action-adventure and TPS with cutscenes providing narrative structure. UC2 was very good though, better than UC1 one and way, way better than UC3. UC2 felt like an excellent take on the "Indiana Jones"-brand of entertainment, actually I don't think any other game came even close to that, not even the Indiana Jones games, which admitedly were hold back by their technical limitations of the time. If you play one UC game, make it UC2. If you don't care for Indy, you know silly humor, some staged shootouts and fist fights and car chases, crazy lore, nazis and just overall goofy stuff, middle-aged-white-guy-doing-adventuring including "romancing" damsels-in-distress (although U was acutally pretty modern in that regard) ... well, steer clear for sure, it might just not be for you after all.

Ralizah wrote:

Metal Gear Solid V, Persona 5, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Zelda U, and Splatoon. Also in no particular order. The thought of any of those games makes me giddy with anticipation.

Yup, me2, maybe not MGSV though, since that series lost me ... well, right after MGS1 tbh (which I loved), despite of which I kept playing most of the pre-/sequels for some reason, well okay Snake Eater was really fine. What I've seen and played (GZ) of MGSV looks mechanically excellent, but Kojimas style of mixing serious issues and tone with nonsensical, convoluted stories and ridiculous gameplay, like professional mercenaries being fooled by cardboard-bikini-babes is really jarring and not to my liking, I like games that are more or less consistent. And yes, I'm gonna say it, to me that's nothing short of the famous, often lamented "ludonarrative dissonance". Kojima might be doing it intentionally, but I don't think this changes anything about it.

There are even a couple of games I would add to that list btw, like Galak-Z, Darkest Dungeon, Below, Banner Saga II, Aliennation, Hand of Fate, Hotline Miami 2, Mighty No. 9, SteamWorld Heist and a dozen others I can't think of right now. Not even mentioning games that already released this year like Sunless Sea or other "AAA" games coming in 2015 like Code Name Steam or The Division, maybe even Crackdown 3 and once more a dozen others, many of which were already mentioned here.

SuperWiiU wrote:

2011 must have been one of the worst years in gaming.

You saying you know more than we do?, some insight knowledge about mass delays and cancelations? Other than I'm gonna stick with my last paragraph.

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

CaviarMeths

Ralek85 wrote:

Uhm not, it was still a 3D action-adventure and TPS with cutscenes providing narrative structure. UC2 was very good though, better than UC1 one and way, way better than UC3. UC2 felt like an excellent take on the "Indiana Jones"-brand of entertainment, actually I don't think any other game came even close to that, not even the Indiana Jones games, which admitedly were hold back by their technical limitations of the time. If you play one UC game, make it UC2. If you don't care for Indy, you know silly humor, some staged shootouts and fist fights and car chases, crazy lore, nazis and just overall goofy stuff, middle-aged-white-guy-doing-adventuring including "romancing" damsels-in-distress (although U was acutally pretty modern in that regard) ... well, steer clear for sure, it might just not be for you after all.

Oh I love Indy and I loved the storytelling/cutscenes in UC too. What eventually made me give up the game were the endless shoutout scenes and bad platforming. I have nothing but good things to say about the writing, set pieces, and presentation though.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

rolLTheDice

Not true.
Everything was better in the old days.

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

CanisWolfred

I thought the platforming was decent in Uncharted compared to Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed. The shootouts could get annoying, but I thought they were more fun in UC2.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SuperWiiU

Ralek85 wrote:

SuperWiiU wrote:

2011 must have been one of the worst years in gaming.

You saying you know more than we do?, some insight knowledge about mass delays and cancelations? Other than I'm gonna stick with my last paragraph.

I was basing it solely on the first post. If I made a top 20 of the best games of 2011 none of them would be in that post(although I haven't played Dark Souls yet).

NinjaWaddleDee

CanisWolfred wrote:

Uncharted 3 was such a big freaking disappointment for me, especially after the awesomeness of Uncharted 2. Uncharted 3 was just too freaking short, and the ending was so unemotional and not satisfying at all. I actually think Uncharted 1 is better than 3, just because it is at least longer, and contains less cheap enemies, and quick time events. I have no idea how Uncharted 2 turned out to be such a masterpiece. I haven't played the last of us yet, but I hope Naughty Dog can replicate that Uncharted 2 greatness for Uncharted 4. Uncharted 2 is literally one of my favorite games of all time.

1. Mass Effect 2 + 3
2. Uncharted 2
3. Super Mario Galaxy

Edited on by NinjaWaddleDee

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

Ralizah

The first Uncharted is a total slog. Awkward platforming, endless gunfights, and a horrible twist near the end that pretty much ruined the last part of the game for me. The voice work and main character were pretty much all that kept me going.

I still want to give UC2 a chance, though, and see if that one is actually decent.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

SuperWiiU

Ralizah wrote:

The first Uncharted is a total slog. Awkward platforming, endless gunfights, and a horrible twist near the end that pretty much ruined the last part of the game for me. The voice work and main character were pretty much all that kept me going.

I still want to give UC2 a chance, though, and see if that one is actually decent.

I don't care for the series, but UC2 is definitively an improvement over the first one. I didn't bother with 3, a lot of fans of the series didn't seem to like it, and I didn't even like UC2.

Edited on by SuperWiiU

Faruko

3 was pretty meh and 1 was ugh

but 2 was so awesome

Edited on by Faruko

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

Faruko

Double post

Edited on by Faruko

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.