Forums

Topic: 2015 will be as remarkable as 2011

Posts 1 to 20 of 42

icecreamperson

Ah, the year 2011. A new nintendo console was revealed and a new nintendo handheld was released. However, 2011 was so much more than a time for companies to reveal their plans for the future, we saw big triple A games that didn't disappoint, smaller indie games and so much more. It was the best year in gaming.

So, after such a big year like 2011 it was naturally for me to feel disappointed in the following years. 2012 was great, we got a new max payne. 2013 was awesome, new gta and the last of us plus other great games. 2014 was good new mario kart etc. But 2015 will be the year that blows them all away, let me explain.

Look at the releases of 2011 (the biggest games of 2011)

Super mario 3d land, the equivalent mario maker for this year

Skyrim, fallout 4 is predicted to come out this year. If it does it would be the equivalent

The legend of zelda skyward sword, the equivalent zelda wii u

Call of duty mw3, the equivalent the next cod

Uncharted 3, uncharted 4

Dark souls, bloodborn

Gears of wars 3, no real confirmation of another gears so the only thing i can really put here is the order 1886

The witcher 2, the witcher 3

The legend of zelda ocarina of time 3d, the legend of zelda majora's mask

Dead island, dying light

Assassin's creed revelations, the nest ac

Batman arkham city, batman arkham knight

Battlefield 3, battlefield hardline

Kirbys return to dreamland, kirby and the rainbow curse

Homefront, homefront 2.

Mass effect 2, mass effect 4.

Some titles that aren't confirmed follow ups, sonic generations, portal 2, bastion, Deus ex human revolution L.A noire, dead space 2, rayman origins. crysis 2.
As you can see for pretty much every critical acclaimed game of 2011 or big game of 2011 will be replaced this year by equally as big or bigger games. Whether they all live up to the expectations remain to be seen. Of course, companies will announce new projects so this list is going to expand.

Edited on by icecreamperson

icecreamperson

Ralizah

2011 was "the best year in gaming?" How young are you?

There was nothing particularly great about 2011, it just wasn't a complete disappointment like most of 2014.

Unless there are some serious delays, though, I do expect 2015 to be one of the industry's best years since 2007. Long-awaited sequels like Persona 5 and Metal Gear Solid V are coming out. Creative new properties like Splatoon and No Man's Sky are releasing. Two potentially great console RPGS (FF Type-0 HD and Xenoblade Chronicles X) are releasing for sure. The Legend of Zelda is getting what looks to be a massive re-invention in its first Wii U entry. Several AAA blockbusters are lined up by third parties. 3DS is set to have a strong first quarter, at least. Even Microsoft looks to be releasing some interesting exclusives.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

LaserdiscGal

I'd argue 2014 was miles better for Nintendo than 2011.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

Ralizah

Amiibo wrote:

2013 was an awesome year for the 3DS, with several amazing RPGs and first-party releases,

icecreamperson

Ralizah wrote:

There was nothing particularly great about 2011, it just wasn't a complete disappointment like most of 2014.

Unless there are some serious delays, though, I do expect 2015 to be one of the industry's best years since 2007. Long-awaited sequels like Persona 5 and Metal Gear Solid V are coming out. Creative new properties like Splatoon and No Man's Sky are releasing. Two potentially great console RPGS (FF Type-0 HD and Xenoblade Chronicles X) are releasing for sure. The Legend of Zelda is getting what looks to be a massive re-invention in its first Wii U entry. Several AAA blockbusters are lined up by third parties. 3DS is set to have a strong first quarter, at least. Even Microsoft looks to be releasing some interesting exclusives.

I don't believe uncharted 3, skyward sword, skyrim, bastion, infamous 2, littlebigplanet 2, batman arkham city were disappointments.

Edited on by icecreamperson

icecreamperson

icecreamperson

Amiibo wrote:

Okay? I was talking about the year as a whole

icecreamperson

icecreamperson

2007 was a great year but honestly if you look at 2011 we got more game releases and better ones. Not taking shots at super mario galaxy or bioshock but i just enjoyed skyward sword and skyrim more

icecreamperson

Ralizah

icecreamperson wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

I don't believe uncharted 3, skyward sword, skyrim, bastion, infamous 2, littlebigplanet 2, batman arkham city were disappointments.

Half-Life. Ocarina of Time. Starcraft. Grim Fandango. Banjo Kazooie. Metal Gear Solid. Fallout 2. Resident Evil 2. Crash Bandicoot: Warped. Sonic Adventure. Xenogears. Pokemon Red and Blue.

No offense, but 1998 laughs at your 2011.

Also, regarding 2007, think about the new franchises or series that were born out of that year: Modern Warfare. Portal. Bioshock. Assassin's Creed. The Witcher. Uncharted. Not to mention amazing sequels like Mario Galaxy and GoW2.

Castlevania: Bloodlines. Doom 2. Earthworm Jim. Final Fantasy III (VI, actually, but whatever). Sonic the Hedgehog 3. Sonic and Knuckles. Super Metroid. Donkey Kong Country. 1994. I would put those games up against almost anything that came out in 2011.

2001 was also pretty fruitful, with GTA III, Halo, SSB Melee, Final Fantasy X, Silent Hill 2, Twisted Metal: Black, Devil May Cry, and Pikmin.

2004 had GTA: San Andreas, HL2, Halo 2, MGS3 and Twin Snakes, Doom 3, Fable, Metroid Prime 2, Metroid: Zero Mission, and Paper Mario: TTYD.

Not trying to say 2011 was a bad year for video games. It wasn't. But it is FAR from the best.

Perhaps I was unfair. 2011 saw some strong releases. 2011 overall was stronger than most of the years following it. Is that fair?

Edited on by Ralizah

Jaz007

@Raliza You're comparisons don't look better though. If anything. he's got more games listed for 2011 then any of those years. And frankly, I don't think any of those years and games you've listed stack up to my 2015 games list too.

Jaz007

Ralizah

Jaz007 wrote:

@Raliza You're comparisons don't look better though. If anything. he's got more games listed for 2011 then any of those years. And frankly, I don't think any of those years and games you've listed stack up to my 2015 games list too.

Of course my lists weren't as long. I gave a few of the strongest examples of games released in those years, not exhaustive lists of all the good games that came out.

Here's a pretty exhaustive list of the good games that came out in 1998.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes
Resident Evil 2
Xenogears
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Parasite Eve
StarCraft
Einhänder
Gran Turismo
Banjo-Kazooie
F-Zero X
Heart of Darkness
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Mega Man Legends
MediEvil
Metal Gear Solid
Spyro the Dragon
Resident Evil: Director's Cut
Fallout 2
Pokémon Red and Blue
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Grim Fandango
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Half-Life
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft
StarCraft: Brood War
Thief: The Dark Project
Baldur's Gate
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Mario Party
Suikoden II
Sonic Adventure

There you go. A longer list. Doesn't change my point: there are several years with MUCH stronger releases than 2011. 1998, in particular, is legendary.

Of course, I'm sure more games came out in 2011. The industry has grown. There are more players in the industry. In terms of the sheer density of amazing releases IN 1998, though? Nothing can match it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Grumblevolcano

I felt 2011 was a very mediocre year for Nintendo, sure the 3DS came out but it didn't have a great selection of games until 2013. Also, the Wii was dying out with the only big release being Skyward Sword.

@Ralizah Thanks for bringing back flashbacks to running out of save crystals on Tomb Raider 3, definitely one of the worse save systems out there

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

icecreamperson

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I felt 2011 was a very mediocre year for Nintendo, sure the 3DS came out but it didn't have a great selection of games until 2013. Also, the Wii was dying out with the only big release being Skyward Sword.

@Ralizah Thanks for bringing back flashbacks to running out of save crystals on Tomb Raider 3, definitely one of the worse save systems out there

I was talking about the year as a whole.

icecreamperson

icecreamperson

Ralizah wrote:

icecreamperson wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Half-Life. Ocarina of Time. Starcraft. Grim Fandango. Banjo Kazooie. Metal Gear Solid. Fallout 2. Resident Evil 2. Crash Bandicoot: Warped. Sonic Adventure. Xenogears. Pokemon Red and Blue.

Also, regarding 2007, think about the new franchises or series that were born out of that year: Modern Warfare. Portal. Bioshock. Assassin's Creed. The Witcher. Uncharted. Not to mention amazing sequels like Mario Galaxy and GoW2.

Castlevania: Bloodlines. Doom 2. Earthworm Jim. Final Fantasy III (VI, actually, but whatever). Sonic the Hedgehog 3. Sonic and Knuckles. Super Metroid. Donkey Kong Country. 1994. I would put those games up against almost anything that came out in 2011.

2001 was also pretty fruitful, with GTA III, Halo, SSB Melee, Final Fantasy X, Silent Hill 2, Twisted Metal: Black, Devil May Cry, and Pikmin.

2004 had GTA: San Andreas, HL2, Halo 2, MGS3 and Twin Snakes, Doom 3, Fable, Metroid Prime 2, Metroid: Zero Mission, and Paper Mario: TTYD.

Not trying to say 2011 was a bad year for video games. It wasn't. But it is FAR from the best.

Perhaps I was unfair. 2011 saw some strong releases. 2011 overall was stronger than most of the years following it. Is that fair?

Agreed. Of course every year in gaming has it's strong points. Honestly, 2007 could easily be the best year in gaming

icecreamperson

icecreamperson

Ralizah wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

Of course my lists weren't as long. I gave a few of the strongest examples of games released in those years, not exhaustive lists of all the good games that came out.

Here's a pretty exhaustive list of the good games that came out in 1998.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes
Resident Evil 2
Xenogears
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Parasite Eve
StarCraft
Einhänder
Gran Turismo
Banjo-Kazooie
F-Zero X
Heart of Darkness
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Mega Man Legends
MediEvil
Metal Gear Solid
Spyro the Dragon
Resident Evil: Director's Cut
Fallout 2
Pokémon Red and Blue
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Grim Fandango
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Half-Life
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft
StarCraft: Brood War
Thief: The Dark Project
Baldur's Gate
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Mario Party
Suikoden II
Sonic Adventure

There you go. A longer list. Doesn't change my point: there are several years with MUCH stronger releases than 2011. 1998, in particular, is legendary.

Of course, I'm sure more games came out in 2011. The industry has grown. There are more players in the industry. In terms of the sheer density of amazing releases IN 1998, though? Nothing can match it.

Yea, 2011 is up there as one of the best video game years tho. Same with 1998 and 2007

icecreamperson

Ralizah

icecreamperson wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

icecreamperson wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Agreed. Of course every year in gaming has it's strong points. Honestly, 2007 could easily be the best year in gaming

Very true. Every year has at least a few great releases.

What would you say your top 5 most anticipated games of 2015 are?

icecreamperson

Ralizah wrote:

icecreamperson wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

icecreamperson wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

In no particular order, zelda u, splatoon, the witcher 3,

Very true. Every year has at least a few great releases.

What would you say your top 5 most anticipated games of 2015 are?

In no particular order zelda u, the witcher 3, battlefront 3, batman arkham knight. How about you?

icecreamperson

Sleepingmudkip

2011 was not that remarkable.......

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

icecreamperson

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

2011 was not that remarkable.......

Every year is remarkable. In my opinion 2011 is one of the best years in gaming, games like skyrim, skyward sword, uncharted 3, infamous 2, little big planet 2, bastion, super mario 3d land etc

icecreamperson

CanisWolfred

icecreamperson wrote:

Speak for yourself. Half those games were disappointing for me. :/

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

icecreamperson

CanisWolfred wrote:

icecreamperson wrote:

Speak for yourself. Half those games were disappointing for me. :/

Like I said, in my opinion. And really?

icecreamperson

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.