Forums

Topic: 2015: End of an Era

Posts 1 to 19 of 19

CaviarMeths

So it kind of just donned on me that Persona 5 will probably be the last retail game I pick up for PS3. It hasn't been announced for localization yet, but this is Atlus we're talking about - I'm betting on it being released in NA before the end of 2015.

Maybe it's because Gen 7 went on for so long, but it just felt like the PS3 was such a big part of my adult life as a video game hobbyist. Xbox was never really my thing and I had fallen out with Nintendo sometime during the N64 era, so the Playstation brand was my solo jam for about 10-12 years of my life (barring brief stint with an MMO that kinda wrecked me).

It was launched in Nov 2006. Two friends and I went to Zellers (Canadian store that doesn't even exist anymore), pooled our money together, and bought the $600 behemoth on its launch day with Resistance: Fall of Man. I was 17 years old and had just finished high school that spring. Those two friends and I had just moved to a new town and got an apartment together a few months earlier. Short-lived, but a pretty defining period of my life. This was the first console that I had bought as an adult. Well, I considered myself an adult at the time, but I was still a damn kid, looking back. Still am now!

Anyway, I'm just feeling nostalgic now with the end of the PS3's life coming up. Over the last 8 years, I have bought 4 PS3s due to some bad luck with people. My current one is the 320gb Slim. Persona 5 will be my 64th retail game for the PS3, and my last. It was a good ride. Despite what anyone else says, the PS3 was probably my favorite console I have ever owned.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

SuperWiiU

I'd rather get it on PS4 so I won't be buying it on PS3(not that I have a PS4).

I will be buying Tales of Zestiria though(unless they also decide to make a PS4 version). That will probably be my last day-one purchase on PS3, but I will continue to buy games I missed out on, just like a still buy games for even older systems.

I only bought my PS3 almost 5 years ago, but I do own twice as many retail games for it and I'm still one my fist console(I never had to buy a second of any console).

Edited on by SuperWiiU

Grumblevolcano

I'm feeling a similar way with Xbox 360, it's looking like the last game I'll buy for that is Fantasia Music Evolved (once Harmonix has released a working patch to fix some gamebreaking issues). After that I'll only be really buying Rocksmith 2014 DLC for it though I don't see myself upgrading to Xbox One anytime soon and there will be a point where Xbox 360 DLC stops, likely next year. This means I'm returning to the era (before 2009) when Nintendo consoles were all that mattered where in this case it's 3DS and Wii U.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

mercurio2054

well i have 20 years with Nintendo, my last nostalgic era was the 64.
i miss those days.
why you bought 3 ps?

mercurio2054

CaviarMeths

Grumblevolcano wrote:

This means I'm returning to the era (before 2009) when Nintendo consoles were all that mattered where in this case it's 3DS and Wii U.

Yeah, that's where I am too. I didn't buy a Wii until 2011, and then I bought a Wii U at launch. First Nintendo consoles I owned since the 90s, and I think that's all I'll need this gen. Well, 3DS and Vita too, but just the Wii U for home console.

SuperWiiU wrote:

(I never had to buy a second of any console).

Lucky you! Do you have one of the big fat ones? Or a Slim/Super Slim? Because I would honestly be amazed if one of the original model PS3s still worked well after 5 years of use. What a disaster of a machine, lol.

mercurio2054 wrote:

why you bought 3 ps?

1st was smashed by a drunken idiot.
2nd eventually just cooked and died (launch model).
3rd was the subject of a 6 year old's experiment of how many discs he could ram into it at once (at least all the discs were still OK).
4th is a couple years old now and still purring like a kitten, so hopefully it's got a good long life ahead of it.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

6ch6ris6

SpookyMeths wrote:

3rd was the subject of a 6 year old's experiment of how many discs he could ram into it at once (at least all the discs were still OK).

omfg i hate such people! i hate them so much holy moly so much hate!!

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Octane

6ch6ris6 wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

I know.. I remember my parents writing my name on my GameBoy games with permanent marker, so they couldn't confuse my games with my sister's. At least they're still playable.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Marakuto

I had a similar case with DS models over the period of 4 years and I keep my 3DS really safe due to past experience, at all cost.

3DS games:

Mario Kart 7

Zelda OoT 3D

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars

Pokemon Black FC: 2666 2484 8599

Kid Icarus Uprising

Heroes of Ruin
and more.

Crime doesn't pay, unless you are really good at it then those who are legal criminals ...

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2450-6702

6ch6ris6

btt:

i only had a wii last gen so for me the era ended way earlier in 2011 when i sold my wii to get a 3DS.
it was a strange era for me. no HD gaming, no big online boom (even though wii had some great online games) and almost no shooters for me. but i do not regret it. i became quite a big nintendo fan with getting the wii. i can not see myself in the future without a nintendo console.

i remember getting the wii for christmas and how revolutionary the controlls in wiisports were. amazing! when i woke up next morning the blue light of the wii's disk drive was lighting up my room. that looked so sexy

Edited on by 6ch6ris6

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

CaviarMeths

6ch6ris6 wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Oh, I was livid. Guy thought his girlfriend was cheating on him with me because I was having a bad day and she gave me a hug. So he smashed my TV, PS3, and guitar.

6ch6ris6

SpookyMeths wrote:

6ch6ris6 wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Oh, I was livid. Guy thought his girlfriend was cheating on him with me because I was having a bad day and she gave me a hug. So he smashed my TV, PS3, and guitar.

and what did you do then?

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Gamecubed

As I continue to round up the remainder of my PS3 backlog, I'm starting to feel the same.

I had a Gamecube and a PS2. I'd wanted a Wii, but I didn't like the direction Nintendo took with it (I thought it was just some kind of party machine). And being a big Gamecube fan, I was disappointed with that direction. So I turned to Sony. I got the Wii in 2011 for Skyward Sword, but still.... I don't have a lot of love for that system.

I got my PS3 in the fall of 2010. I was 15, and I had just started grade 10. I'd been saving for months. It was the 120GB slim model. I got Little Big Planet and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune with it. I remember going to Walmart with my older sister, and she went to another part of the store and I went to electronics to "browse". When we reunited ten minutes later I had bought the system. She went crazy because she knew my parents didn't want me to have it.
I got it home and set it up and played it all night. My dad didn't care, but my mom was absolutely livid for about a week (and then she mellowed out).

It was really a huge part of my high school years. I played it all the time. I've attached so many memories to some of those games. When I play Uncharted or Arkham Asylum or Infamous or whatever else.... all I think about is high school and the friends I don't talk to anymore. It makes me sad, but also very nostalgic. And during this kind of confusing transition phase of my life, I find myself finishing off my PS3 collection and still playing it avidly. When my grandfather passed away around this time last year, I was playing the Mass Effect trilogy for the first time when I got the call. So that kind of helped me cope with that loss in some weird way.

I get the feeling that the last newly released title I'm going to get for the PS3 is going to be Dragon Age: Inquisition. Everything else is just going to be older releases from my backlog. After that, I guess I'll put the old boy into retirement and get a PS4.

Edited on by Gamecubed

Gamecubed

KingMike

SpookyMeths wrote:

Had a Brave Fencer Musashi CD all scratched up, though I my case it was a 2(?) year old stuffing everything in my disc case into a VCR. The others all seemed okay (the only other valuable game I remember being Star Ocean 2)

KingMike

Drawdler

6ch6ris6 wrote:

when i woke up next morning the blue light of the wii's disk drive was lighting up my room. that looked so sexy

I remember the Wii light woke me up once.

I'm still going to buy more 7th gen games, because I missed out on so many, but I think the last new one will be the final Skylanders game made for the gen. I wasn't active during 7th gen. The DS Pokémon entires, Wild World, Professor Layton, Mario Kart Wii and Super Mario Galaxy make for really great memories, though. I also remember that my dad got an XBox 360 because he thought I would like Kameo. It and Viva Piñata (which is horribly overlooked) were the only exclusives I ended up playing.

Edited on by Drawdler

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | darkSpyro | Ghostroaster | Reddit

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

6ch6ris6

i will definetly get a xbox 360 one day. really need to play read dead redemption, gta 4 and 5 and the halo games. i would also love to play mgs4 gut it is kinda the only game i am interested in for ps3. maybe motorstorm too.

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Ralizah

Viva Piñata and Alan Wake are worth buying a cheap 360 for. Awesome games.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CrazyOtto

Generation 7 was one of the longest generations. I think the PS4 will last even longer though.

CrazyOtto

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

CanisWolfred

Ralizah wrote:

Viva Piñata and Alan Wake are worth buying a cheap 360 for. Awesome games.

Don't forget Crackdown, Shadow Complex, and Lost Oddyssey. Those plus the Banjos are the reasons I still keep my 360...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SkywardLink98

I've only had my PS3 for about a year. I don't think I'll be upgrading to current gen until I've played more of the PS3's library.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.