Forums

Topic: Super Mario Maker Level Creation Challenge Thread [Voting for: Time Limits, New Theme: Pink Coins, Deadlines: April 3rd]

Posts 341 to 360 of 363

crimsontadpoles

My vote for the SMB3 Overworld levels will go to @SuperWiiU for Super Optional Pals. 3.

As for time limit levels, I've been lacking in new ideas recently and haven't come up with any level designs where the level is improved by adding a small time limit. Unless I have a sudden wave of inspiration, I likely won't make a level this time.

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

mrichston

Zyrac wrote:

My vote goes to @mrichston for Mario's Wipeout. Some of those obstacles are just so mean it's hilarious.

There are strategies to make some rooms easier. For example in first room you can use duck jump to get on top of bumpers more easily.

Zyrac

@mrichston: Oh, I didn't actually have much trouble beating it. The nastiness is balanced out well by how forgiving it is.

Zyrac

Twitter:

SuperWiiU

Oops. I was going to upload a level yesterday and vote, but I forgot. Thanks to the new NL design(I dislike it, a lot) I don't come here that often anymore so it wasn't on my mind at all.

@crimsontadpoles: Thanks for the vote.

If it counts or not, my vote goes to iBazly - Mise-en-Scene. It's fun level with several directions to go(get lost) in. I did think some of the enemy placements(and numbers) were a bit off, but it didn't hamper the fun of exploring the level.
@Zyrac: Did you not include a checkpoint on purpose ? I thought it could've used one, although I did manage to beat it after a fair amount of tries. And congrats on winning the Time Limits theme.

Edited on by SuperWiiU

Zyrac

@SuperWiiU: No checkpoint because I'm hardcore like that, and because it would be a little awkward to include one. (This is why I'm not popular, isn't it.)

Dare I ask what's so bad about the new layout? I mean, it's wholly unnecessary, but I don't really see anything wrong with it. Nothing worth complaining about, at least.

Edited on by Zyrac

Zyrac

Twitter:

iBazly

@Zyrac : I feel like in going for a simpler, more modern/clean look... they made it kind of... bare? To be fair for a while I have been finding my interest in the website waning anyway, so the fact that I don't like the look of the website now was just another push toward the door.

I mean I still love the forums, but it's kind of all I come for now. Well and to look at the "Games Out Now" list and then sort by most recent releases.

SuperWiiU

Zyrac wrote:

@SuperWiiU: No checkpoint because I'm hardcore like that, and because it would be a little awkward to include one. (This is why I'm not popular, isn't it.)

Dare I ask what's so bad about the new layout? I mean, it's wholly unnecessary, but I don't really see anything wrong with it. Nothing worth complaining about, at least.

The frontpage is a horrible mobile ads website styling look-alike, without all the useful information of the old website to the sides, and an annoying bar at the top. The whole site also fully drenched in googleapis, which is bad for numerous reasons, including functionality on some devices/apps. Plus the colours, for the love of god, those colours.

crimsontadpoles

If we're still allowing super late Time Limit levels, then I created this level:

Volcanic Eruption https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/3D49-000...

There's only 110 seconds to escape the volcano. It's a long way to the flag, plus there's lots of fire to slow people down. There's a checkpoint halfway through the level, which will help out anyone who thinks the time limit is too harsh.

Edited on by crimsontadpoles

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

iBazly

Hello everyone! Sorry for the long delay, it seems like we've all trailed off a bit. I would really like to keep this going though, so I hope people are still interested!

I am going to do a full update of the posts later this evening, so that all of the different links take you to the right things. So keep an eye out for that.

I also wanted to quickly announce that I recounted for the Fire Clown Car contest, and the winner was indeed @GIR. I missed one vote while counting, so they won with three votes! Sorry to @GIR and @mrichston for the miscount!

As for the Super Mario Bros. 3 Overworld theme, I forgot to vote - my vote would have been for @mrichston, which means we both won!

For the next theme, I think since there are new elements coming out on Wednesday, it would be really fun to try and encourage people to use them. So I'm thinking for the next theme we can focus on these cool new Pink Coins! The level can be anything you want, as long as it utilizes the new pink coins and locked doors. Sine those are out on March 9, I'm going to set the deadline for those levels as March 27. If we get more entries this time, then we can shorten the deadline time, but for now I think three-ish weeks will be what we'll stick to.

Finally, here are the entries for the Time Limit theme:

@Zyrac - Late for Work! - 2D99-0000-019A-F71C
@SuperWiiU - Yes, I did need 4 weeks for this - 1909-0000-01E1-D9E6
@crimsontadpoles - Volcanic Eruption - 3D49-0000-01E2-5366

I hope we start seeing people coming back! Would love to get this going again. Also, I'm thinking since it's been quite a while now, I would like to know what kind of themes you guys want to see coming up! I've been trying not to always do something as simple as "Underwater" or "Airship", and trying to pick some things that are a bit more unique - but it is hard to keep coming up with things like that. If you have any ideas, or have any course elements you are really enthusiastic about working with, please let me know! If it means you'll come back and make more levels, I would be happy to give it a try!

Edited on by iBazly

SuperWiiU

I updated last night, didn't make a new level yet as I was busy unlocking the latest costumes. But I did notice you can finally browse a level and see where all the players died. Didn't know that had been added, great to finally get a good sense where to improve your level.

Zyrac

Nobody feel like voting? I don't know if I should when there are only two other entries...

Well anyway, I've just finished my Pink Coins entry. This was partially inspired by the silver coin challenges in Diddy Kong Racing. It's also an autoscroller because apparently I like those.

Untitled
Pink Coin Circuit
CB15-0000-01F7-70B6

Zyrac

Twitter:

Zyrac

Nintendo finally sent me a response about my deleted level.

It was not worth the wait.

"Thank you for your email regarding Mario Maker and apologies for the delay in our response to you.

In regards to your created level, under certain circumstances we remove uploaded levels. This doesn't necessarily mean you did something wrong. We do this to keep things fresh and entertaining. Please don’t feel punished but rather encouraged to try again with a new level to entertain other players and your friends alike.

We recommend you to check out the Super Mario Maker Bookmark page (https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/) and hope you will keep creating new levels and challenge your own creativity.

We apologise for any disappointment and if you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us."

Edited on by Zyrac

Zyrac

Twitter:

SuperWiiU

Zyrac wrote:

Nintendo finally sent me a response about my deleted level.

It was not worth the wait.

"Thank you for your email regarding Mario Maker and apologies for the delay in our response to you.

In regards to your created level, under certain circumstances we remove uploaded levels. This doesn't necessarily mean you did something wrong. We do this to keep things fresh and entertaining. Please don’t feel punished but rather encouraged to try again with a new level to entertain other players and your friends alike.

We recommend you to check out the Super Mario Maker Bookmark page (https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/) and hope you will keep creating new levels and challenge your own creativity.

We apologise for any disappointment and if you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us."

It took them that long to send an automated response? :S

It's a busy weekend, so I hope I'll get some time to finish my level.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.