Forums

Topic: Yoshi (2018)

Posts 21 to 40 of 46

Tsurii

@Timppis did you go for 100% in Woolly World? That's where most of its difficulty comes from, even tho most levels still won't be all that hard. Yoshi's always been more about "exploration" in its stages than just clearing levels, if you play it like a Mario or Donkey Kong game you're not gonna get the most out of it imo. (that's also what I like the most about the games myself)

But yeah..I was sold on the game the moment I saw it because Yoshi + assuming Good Feel was behind it (before they confirmed that)
Those guys know how to make platformers that are creative, have rock-solid mechanics and look gorgeous. I hope they get to make another 2D game that's animated entirely by hand like Shake Dimension, but for now Yoshi's near the top of my list :3

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Timppis

@Tsurii

I did get something close to 100% in Woolly World but other games took my attention span.

Although you are exactly right that it is a matter of preference and I do like DK platformers the most out of all Ninty platformers for it's challenge in precision platforming. And it is exactly as you said that the point of Yoshi games is more in the exploration.

I just want both

Timppis

SKTTR

I have 100% on Yoshi's Woolly World. Took me about 40 hours and I enjoyed every minute of it. Though it's starring Yoshi and is probably the best Yoshi platformer since Yoshi's Island on the SNES, I felt it went barely noticed.

I however can't wait to play Yoshi 2018.

It's made by GOOD-FEEL, the same team that made Woolly World.
I have other GOOD-FEEL games like Wario Land: The Shake Dimension and Kirby's Epic Yarn, and while they did pretty great jobs on both of them, they finally nailed it on Yoshi.

I'm looking forward to that new Yoshi game as much as I look forward to Mario Odyssey. I've watched an hour of it in the Treehouse presentation and it looks like the next 2D platformer masterpiece.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Henmii

Now that I have seen more of it, it looks pretty good. Its like Paper Mario, but even more extreme. Everything is cardboard and looks like its made by children, though Yoshi himself is strangely still made out of yarn. Its like diorama's with secrets everywhere. Foreground, background, that kind of stuff. However, I don't get why the level-flipping mechanic is restricted to multiplayer. Because a lot of times you are behind walls and the camera can't follow. Surely a single-player could also use this mechanic, to look what's on the other side of a wall.

I hoped Good Feel would do a new Wario (or something different), but I have to admit this looks like another strong platformer.

Henmii

Pigeon

I see myself playing through this game, forgetting it for a while, then going through it again a year or two later. I did the same with with nsmb Wii u, Klonoa on the psx, etc. I think it'd be worth the full price in the long run.

Edited on by Pigeon

Pigeon

Anti-Matter

It looks adorable.
But the paper craft somehow looked cheap compared with Paper Mario Color Splash.

Anti-Matter

Bolt_Strike

The Treehouse stream definitely did this game a lot more justice than that trailer. I'm surprised by how much depth there is to the level design, it really makes the 2.5D worthwhile in a way that I've never seen before. Definitely getting this one.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

MikeTS

This game is going to be amazing. I can't wait, I'm already excited from watching the trailer.

MikeTS

OfNullAndVoid

Can't wait for it. I enjoyed both Kirby's Epic Yarn and Yoshi's Wooly World. While it's not everyone's cup of tea, I enjoyed how the base game is easy, but getting 100% is where the challenge lies. I'm hoping that they'll do the same with this game.

I'm hoping that maybe they'll add paper models of Yoshi and all other characters so it can go with the environments, but if it doesn't I'm still fine with it.

With Nintendo releasing Amiibo for just about every game they release now, it would be a missed opportunity if they don't make a paper model Yoshi Amiibo, maybe even with a paper model environment. It would be easy to pack into the box.

OfNullAndVoid

Timppis

@Bolt_Strike

I agree completely with this. The Treehouse segment showed the charm in having that flippable environment with the little shy guys pushing and pulling moving platforms and things only having their paintjobs on the front side etc.

Loved it, but I still hope that it's a bit more difficult than your normal yoshi/kirby title.

Timppis

LinksMightySword

Wooly world is still on my need to play list . Played the demo and loved it. This Switch offering looks great and I won't sleep on this one ..

Nintendo network Id : KooopaTrooopa

Ryu_Niiyama

I love that idea that yoshi is pretty much a plushie in a world created by a kid. Brings back fond childhood memories...those paper rhinos are hardcore though.

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.
Villanova University: 2016 NCAA Champs! GO NOVA NATION! 2008 Alumna

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NEStalgia

This one feels like a Metroidvania Yoshi....you have to remember what you saw on the front side to work the back side.

@Anti-Matter it's not a paper world like Paper Mario (that somehow exists as a real world made of papercraft), it's a cardboard diaorama sitting on a table in a house (you can see the window and the rest of the room off the table when you're on the back side of the level.) It's like the Ribbon Raceway level in MK8....it's actually in some kids room made of household things, come to life (the platforms are half-papered over cookie boxes for example.)

NEStalgia

KirbyTheVampire

@Henmii The flipping mechanic is only in multiplayer? Isn't flipping the level basically the whole idea behind the game? It seems like just another platformer without it.

KirbyTheVampire

meleebrawler

@KirbyTheVampire You choose which perspective of the stage you get at the beginning in single player. Like @NEStalgia said, it tests your memory in order find all of it's goodies, which is the main challenge of Yoshi platformers, though I'm not sure if playing both is mandatory to progress.

The multiplayer in-game flip is essentially an extension of being able to bypass certain puzzles by launching/bouncing off a partner like in Woolly World. You feel more capable as a team, and helps alleviate potential boredom depending on who you're playing with.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Tsurii

In the demo it looked like they "had" to recollect all of the stuff they already got the first time in the stage. Hope they'll change that or at least add some visual cue to show what you already got "on the other side". I doubt they'd go back to how it was in the original but I'd actually hate if you had to collect everything in one go because some things look like they'll be a huge pain in the rear to get/see in the flipped stage.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

KirbyTheVampire

meleebrawler wrote:

@KirbyTheVampire You choose which perspective of the stage you get at the beginning in single player. Like @NEStalgia said, it tests your memory in order find all of it's goodies, which is the main challenge of Yoshi platformers, though I'm not sure if playing both is mandatory to progress.

The multiplayer in-game flip is essentially an extension of being able to bypass certain puzzles by launching/bouncing off a partner like in Woolly World. You feel more capable as a team, and helps alleviate potential boredom depending on who you're playing with.

Ahh, I see. That makes a lot more sense, then.

KirbyTheVampire

Henmii

@meleebrawler,

That sounds very weird. Very user-unfriendly. They should give single-players the flipping option, otherwise some things will be very cumbersome to get.

Henmii

Dev

Watching the Treehouse demonstration definitely got me to like the game even more. They could definitely pull off some neat tricks with the "switch" between the foreground and background. The cardboard rhinos remind me of Poochy, only they're enemies!

I like that Good-Feel is returning to the bedroom idea that they originally thought about doing in the early stages of Yoshi's Woolly World.
Untitled

Dev

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4663-7817

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic