Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

Posts 641 to 660 of 1,302

TuVictus

One of my favorite things about Xenoblade is how the armor changes as you switch it. I guess it's more standard nowadays, but when playing things like Final Fantasy, I'm always a little bummed when I change equipment and everyone looks the same. Plus it's always a treat to get the "body oil" top, or whatever it's called haha

TuVictus

Heavyarms55

The best girl has arrived! Melia is here! Honestly kinda shocked I've already made it this far into the game considering how I play. I always do everything I can before progressing the story, I'm borderline obsessive with it. 21 hours into the game and I've only just now reached the point where Melia joins.

Melia is my favorite, but I honestly absolutely LOVE the entire main cast and most side characters in this game so much!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

JaxonH

@Heavyarms55
I'm typically the same way. Spent TONS of time exploring in Xenoblade 2, doing sidequests, etc.

But in this one, for whatever reason, I'm basically just sticking to the story. I fight monsters I run across with quest exclamations, do a little extra battling here and there, venture out of the way a little bit to see what's around that corner or over that hill, but by and large I'm 90% story only so far.

And it feels liberating. Just enjoying the game without feeling obligated to do more than a bit of side content as desired. Its kept a quick pace which is a refreshing change.

It's also resulted in me not being over leveled for a change. And boss fights have been BRUTALLY satisfying as a result. 2 party members down, one shred of HP left, party gage depleted, and it snaps to a cutscene, whew! Uh oh, round 2 and his life is full again! Getting absolutely wrecked, barely surviving vision attacks, skating by by the skin of my teeth somehow...

It feels so good to have JUST the right amount of challenge to almost die each time but still barely win somehow

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@Heavyarms55 That's... definitely fast. For reference, my Wii Save just got Melia, and I'm pretty sure I'm about 120 hours in on that file.

link3710

Quarth

I accept all side quests I come over and then do them if they're on the way. Everything shows on the map, so it's easy to see where to go.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

rallydefault

Is this pretty much the same combat system as Xenoblade 2? I'm pretty much asking the typical "if Xenoblade 2 wasn't for me, is there some way I would like this one?" lol

rallydefault

JoyBoy

@rallydefault It's definitely more simple. I liked it better.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Quarth

@rallydefault @Spanjard Yep, it's simpler, but still pretty deep. Also the tutorials are better and easy to go back to if needed. I also like it more than XC2's.

Mountain_Man

Heavyarms55 wrote:

@Mountain_Man Just stop please. Your claim was gross to begin with.

Ah, so you're one of "those". I should have know.

But seriously, why do RPGs insist on women's clothing that covers less than 50% of their body? It's absurd.

The Mountain Man

JaxonH

Can we not, please...

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JoyBoy

Mountain_Man wrote:

Heavyarms55 wrote:

@Mountain_Man Just stop please. Your claim was gross to begin with.

Ah, so you're one of "those". I should have know.

But seriously, why do RPGs insist on women's clothing that covers less than 50% of their body? It's absurd.

I favour even less! Everyone knows less is more and everyone remembers Shulk in his swimming pants! (Only 20% of his body covered, OMG)

SW-7849-9887-2074

the8thark

The performance of this game is not good.
Source - Digital Foundry - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbF59jGO3ho

However my question is in practive, how much does this affect your enjoyment of the game?
I am on the fence about getting this game. I bought it digitally on the WiiU and didn't like it at all. On the other hand I really liked XCX and XC2 despite XC2's performance being quite shoddy. I guess I just didn't like the linear nature of XC back in the day.

I am aware the game sold well, so it's obviously popular.

So for those who were not so into the game on Wii or it's WiiU and 3DS ports - why whould we get it on Switch?

the8thark

Quarth

Yeah, let's leave it (the clothing discussion).

Just entered Third Lung. What an atmosphere! The lights, the music, the weird mushroom like plants... It's creepy, but beautiful. People that say this game is ugly haven't played it. What it might lack in graphical fidelity, it more than makes up for in the design.

Edited on by Quarth

Quarth

@the8thark The performance is fine. Have only noticed some slowdowns in one area, and it was minor.

If you didn't like it back then, you might not like it now either. It looks better and some QoL changes have been made, but overall it's the same game: same story, same characters, same gameplay. I prefer it over XC2 in a lot of areas, but I know that a lot of people find XC2 better.

Edited on by Quarth

JoyBoy

I have been watching that analysis by DF and that part about the tree not moving was a bit unclear to me. Did the trees when playing the game in the original move and now they don’t? (Seems a big oversight) Or is it just this in cutscene that they don’t move?(an small issue)

SW-7849-9887-2074

Dezzy

@Mountain_Man

Whatever people are for or against, they should respect creative freedom and accept whatever a developer chooses in their game. If it's so bad that you think it ruins the game, just don't buy the game. Problem solved. In this case though, the complaint is meaningless nonsense. The default costume for Sharla is "non-sexualized" so you can easily just stick with that.

@Spanjard

Yes, the trees no longer move. They changed the technique they used for rendering trees. In the original they used a collection of billboarded sprites that all move constantly, to simulate leaves blowing.
In this new version, the trees are fully modeled meshes, that remain still.
So it's not just that they don't move. They don't move because they changed how the trees are designed completely. They changed how the grass is done too.
Personally I think both looked fine in the original so I'm not really sure why they changed it. Possibly because they wanted things like shadows to cast onto the grass and trees (which you can't do with billboards)

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

JoyBoy

@Dezzy Interesting, would you say it sticks out to you or anyone for that matter? Looks good good overall though, I don’t see myself buying the game anytime soon but I’m glad it’s here nonetheless. It’s a great game.

SW-7849-9887-2074

BruceCM

Heh, so this has gone straight to the top of the charts here ..... Yes, knocking Animal Crossing into 2nd place

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Dezzy

@Spanjard

You don't notice the tree thing at all during the game. They only moved very slightly in the original, and you don't notice that sort of thing when your character is moving anyway.

The only thing that's slightly noticeable is that the draw distance on the grass is slightly worse in this new version (which it obviously shouldn't be on a more advanced console).
That probably has something to do with the fact that they stopped using billboards for grass.
It's only a small difference though, it doesn't ruin it at all. You probably wouldn't notice it unless someone points it out.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic