Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

Posts 481 to 500 of 1,302

Grumblevolcano

So close to release, this is guaranteed to be a midnight release on the eshop (1st party releases are always midnight) so only have to wait 3 days and a few hours for my digital copy to unlock (I'd guess my physical version will arrive next week).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

For sure.

Though I can’t do those midnight releases anymore. Last one I did was Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. Took the day off work, stayed up, drove to the only 24 hr Walmart which was like, 30 min away, and picked up a New 3DS XL and a copy of MH4U. Stayed up playing til 4am. Never again.

I will, however, be happy to start playing Friday morning when I get up. Who knows how long it’ll take to download all those 2K games, though. No preload means I probably won’t be playing them until Saturday at the earliest. Ugh. And I need to know if The Handsome Collection is a download code or update included with the physical release. Because if it’s a download code, I need to make sure and only buy Borderlands 1 digitally.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Oh my gosh.

Had the UK collector edition preordered via forwarding service. Because it includes the steelbook case which I want, as I have the XC2 steelbook and all the other Switch steelbook cases, all variants, across all regions.

But then it popped up on Amazon Spain. And shipped to the US. So I ordered and ended up canceling my Amazon UK order because now I don’t need a forwarding service.

Then I get an email cancelling my order due to not enough stock...

What.

Sigh... so I just ordered an Australian version off eBay. Was $140 shipped, which is about what it would’ve cost via Amazon UK after exchange rate and forwarding service shipping + fees (because when you use a forwarding service you’re using an address in the UK which means you are not exempt from VAT tax, unlike when they ship directly).

So that sucks. But I suppose it could have been worse. I see a lot of other listings asking a lot more.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Tyranexx

I'm content to wait until that Friday morning. I don't do midnight launches. I used to be able to back in the day, but I'd only get an hour or two of enjoyment tops out of the game before becoming too tired to process what's going on.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

link3710

@JaxonH If it makes you feel any better, Amazon UK still doesn't even have a ship date for the limited edition yet, just delayed indefinitely. No idea when/if I'll get my copy.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
Really? Maybe that and my Amazon ES order being canceled from not enough stock are related. Maybe they’re just not able to get enough of these things into stores across Europe. Haven’t seen any issues with the US version yet (keyword, yet), but it doesn’t have the Steelbook, which may make it easier to produce. Idk.

You buying a regular copy / digital in the meantime or you just holding out and hoping for the best?

link3710

@JaxonH Still waiting to see what happens. I'm patient enough, and with the 2K games launching that day too I have plenty to play.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH @link3710 I've seen GAME go in and out of stock for the special edition multiple times a day for about a week now where trying to preorder when it's in stock comes up with a message it's out of stock so I'm guessing more cancelling preorders.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano I preordered mine within hours of it going live, so I'd hope I'd get one unless they literally don't get any stock...

link3710

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

Didn't XCX basically run at 720p as well? This seems par for the course for them.

Yeah but that was an open-world game on a less powerful console. If Breath of the Wild can jump from 720p to 900p between consoles, you'd hope a Wii remaster could too.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ainze

Dezzy wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Didn't XCX basically run at 720p as well? This seems par for the course for them.

Yeah but that was an open-world game on a less powerful console. If Breath of the Wild can jump from 720p to 900p between consoles, you'd hope a Wii remaster could too.

They could have done 1080p60. It’s all a matter of choice. They went for pretty instead. People need to drop the idea that the year or the console will guarantee a particular resolution or framerate. It’s the devs choice. Even the brand new Xbox Series X can’t do SD if other graphical effects are pushed hard enough.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looked pretty, no doubt, but I prefer clarity. Is that an enemy in the distance or a small tree? I want to know. But Monolithsoft likes pretty, I guess. The point is, regardless of whether you agree with their choices, it does make sense from a technical point of view. It’s not badly made, just how they chose to invest their power budget.

Ainze

Ainze

JaxonH wrote:

@sixrings
??

Literally every game ever made would “perform better” if it were running on more powerful hardware. That’s self-evident. Literally every single game on the entire Nintendo switch system would perform better on PS4 or Xbox. And literally every single PS4 and Xbox game would perform better on my PC. So you’re not really saying much there.

But just because the game would perform better doesn’t mean it is better there. People routinely buy multiplatform games on Switch that would “perform better” anywhere else. Because performing better doesn’t outweigh hybrid freedom for a lot of people. It might perform better but it would entertain less. And at the end of the day, it’s entertainment people buy games for.

I don’t think anybody is against a “Switch Pro”, and I NEVER hear anyone say “gameplay is all that matters”, so I’m not exactly sure who you’re referring to when you say “we” (unless there’s a phantom in the thread I’m not seeing?). Just because people don’t think peak performance is the be all end all, that doesn’t mean they don’t care about it at all.

I just don’t think people really care that much. Switch was a massive leap from 3DS and Vita, and right now most people are just happy seeing games looks so much better on handheld than they used to, still looking great on the TV and having the freedom to play how they want. Switch 2 comes when it comes, and until then, this will do nicely. Contrary to your internet bubble echo chamber, most people are satisfied to the extent they’re not in uber-thirst mode for some mythical Pro revision. Not saying people wouldn’t appreciate it, they’re just not that thirsty for it like some 4k junkie going into withdrawals every time they see a Switch game’s performance.

This. So much this. I have an Xbox One X and a gaming PC, but I’m playing Doom 2016, Witcher 3, Wolfenstein 2, etc on Switch. And have waited all these months to get Outer Worlds on Switch too. As a dad of little kids, the Switch is invaluable. With suspend, sleep, off-tv and portable, it’s the only way I can get any serious gaming done in the tiny time gaps I get.

This month I resolved to finally finish Xenoblade Chronicles X before DE came out (totally worth it btw). It was SO much harder to find opportunities to play, just because of the console limitations.

Would get a Switch Pro in a heartbeat. Many of my games could do with a res boost. But standard Switch is still better than any level of power on a normal console.

Edited on by Ainze

Ainze

JaxonH

It’s a good middle ground. Admittedly they’re pushing the lower ends of acceptable resolution on switch but they get away with it because they’re not pushing it too low in this case. I would say the exact same thing was true for Xenoblade 2 except for the severe drops in res due to the cloud sea tanking performance.

I think the game looks really good.

Usually I’m in favor of less graphical fidelity in exchange for higher res, but I’m not sure how good this game would look if you turn down the graphical fidelity more than it is. The grass is already 2D, draw distance is already borderline, textures are at a minimum for what I expect... so all in all I think they made the right concessions.

Provided, of course, there are no areas that see res consistently tank significantly lower. If that happens then I’ll stand corrected. But if it can hold 720p docked / 540p handheld with that solid framerate we’ve seen, I’m more than good with that. No different than Dragon Quest XI S, Final Fantasy XII or Xenoblade Torna, all of which people were basically happy with.

The question will be, how well it holds its target. Personally I’m feeling very optimistic after seeing the framerate, and nothing taxing performance like in XC2 base game.

Edited on by JaxonH

Dezzy

Ainze wrote:

They could have done 1080p60. It’s all a matter of choice. They went for pretty instead. People need to drop the idea that the year or the console will guarantee a particular resolution or framerate. It’s the devs choice. Even the brand new Xbox Series X can’t do SD if other graphical effects are pushed hard enough.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looked pretty, no doubt, but I prefer clarity. Is that an enemy in the distance or a small tree? I want to know. But Monolithsoft likes pretty, I guess. The point is, regardless of whether you agree with their choices, it does make sense from a technical point of view. It’s not badly made, just how they chose to invest their power budget.

There's almost no benefit to 60fps in a game like this, so there's no reason to expect they'd aim for that.

And yes, I agree that expecting a particular performance consistently on a particular console makes no sense. It's entirely down to each individual game.

But this just seems like it's the sort of game they should've been able to manage 1080p. It's not open world, so it doesn't have the issue of dynamic loading to deal with. It came pre-optimized in terms of memory usage and draw calls to the GPU, because it was a Wii game, and it used fairly low-poly environments.

They obviously just decided it wasn't worth prioritizing resolution. I think the main reason is just that they didn't want to spend too much time and money on it, because they want their staff working on their next big project.

Ainze

@Dezzy
The “problem” I think is that they didn’t actually port the original. They completely rebuilt it in the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 engine, complete with matching the art style (not exactly, but close, and certainly in terms of compute cost). Hence why res and performance match XC2 so closely. Makes sense from a modern marketing perspective (appeal to the new fans that are familiar only with XC2) and perhaps it’s what they prefer artistically too, but a shame for those of us hoping for 1080p with just nicer textures/polys.

Ainze

Dezzy

@Ainze

They definitely didn't "completely rebuild it". All of the environmental models are identical to the original, they just added a bit more detail and higher res textures.
Even the character models largely have the same bodies and textures, they just redid the faces/heads.

They may have redone parts of the coding side of it, to make use of the new engine, but those basic art assets were definitely "ported".

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 I think the no shipping date is probably to do with the vinyl.

Grumblevolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano That'd make sense. I'm still holding out hope it'll ship eventually, they can't not get any stock... Right?

link3710

BruceCM

Well, they've started processing my Standard Edition ....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

NintendoByNature

Fyi Amazon U.S. has it listed for $49.99. I'll probably also post this in the discounts and deals thread.

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic