Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

Posts 201 to 220 of 1,302

Magician

Looks as though the Japanese CE is available to preorder, but it isn't as glorious as the European CE.

The product description mentions that this version supports English.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B086GRG5DD

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

@Dezzy A remaster utilizes code and assets from the original release. There might be altered textures, improved resolution, etc. but, at base, it's the same game. Just prettied up.

Remakes are built from the ground up. New code. New assets. Which obviously doesn't mean absolutely nothing gets re-used, but it's a new product.

Well this would count as a remaster by that definition. They're almost definitely reusing a lot of the code and assets. From what we've seen, everything like the battle mechanics, equipment, and physics are still the same. The dialogue, animations and voice acting are still the same.

Granted none of that is the sort of thing that really stands out in trailers. But in terms of the time it takes to do all that stuff, it's a pretty huge amount of the original game's workload that is still identical.

One of the biggest jobs with a game that renders huge 3D environments, is UV mapping all of the 3D models (that's the process where you turn a 3D object into a 2D unwrapped image so you can texture it). I 99% guarantee they haven't redone that. It's just not worth the time. It's so easy to reuse the originals and adapt it for better texturing and more polygons. The texturing side of it doesn't require any changes at all. You can use higher-res textures, as well as adding normal mapping and specular mapping, without changing anything about the UV mapping.

Quarth wrote:

I actually did most of the side quests in it as well

Ha, that's cos it forced you to do most of them!

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

link3710

@Dezzy Honestly, this game definitely straddles the line between remake and remaster. New UI, improved animations (facial expressions most notably, but other animations are tweaked as well), new models, new textures. The game looks like a Switch native release (honestly, it looks better than XC2), which isn't something you'd usually say about a remaster. But yeah, it's pretty much pushing the idea of a remaster as far as it goes.

link3710

Ralizah

@Dezzy Eh.

Those are still design choices. It doesn't mean the game wasn't rebuilt. Environmental geometry, character models, etc. are all brand new, so it's effectively a different game.

I'd say this is a remake that seeks to emulate the original release as closely as possible in most regards.

And, to be fair, we don't know that none of the dialogue was re-recorded, right? Or the extent to which the plot has changed, or the music has been "remastered."

EDIT: Can't speak to the "UV mapping" either way.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Dezzy

link3710 wrote:

improved animations (facial expressions most notably, but other animations are tweaked as well)

You'll have to point me to this. I looked closely but couldn't see any change in animations.

Quarth

@Dezzy Ah, yeah, now that you mention it. LOL! Was some time ago that I played it now.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Quarth

@Ralizah Didn't they say in the Direct that a lot of tracks has been re-recorded?

Edit: Just checked. "Some if the music has been re-recorded", they say.

Edited on by Quarth

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

BruceCM

For some reason, the standard game is £10 cheaper in Nintendos own site & comes with a keychain ..... Pre-ordered that now

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Seacliff

I'll be honest, I really didn't care for Xenoblade 2's story or gameplay. But I only gave a limited amount of playtime to the first game on the 3DS and really want to give that game another go in HD.

Seacliff

Seacliff

@Dezzy Thanks for those comparison shots, the game looks really nice. Easily the best remaster Nintendo has handled yet, IMO. Albeit, they don't do it like this too often.

Seacliff

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy Certain events in XC2 chapter 10 and the XC2 DLC. The thing is though, I didn't get far in XC1 so it may have all been resolved in the base XC1 game (I got a few hours in when it came to Wii U VC but mostly got distracted by Xbox One at the time).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

RR529

SKTTR wrote:

They called this a Nintendo Direct Mini!

With games like Xenoblade, Bioshock, Borderlands, XCOM, Elder Scrolls, Bravely Default II, a new Smash reveal, and two new Nintendo IPs (Good Job! and 51 Worldwide Games) and many more new games, I now wonder how a normal Nintendo Direct would be like.

Clubhouse Games: 51 Classic Games is a sequel to a DS game, not a new IP.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Dezzy

@Seacliff

I think my favourite Nintendo remaster/remake will always be the Ocarina 3DS remaster. That was completely flawless because it had the complete visual overhall, but also the important gameplay improvements with the touch screen item menu, and the gyroscopic aiming.
This looks like it could be a close second though!

@Grumblevolcano

No idea which events you're referring to. You'll have to use spoiler tags and explain!

Edited on by Dezzy

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy

The situation with Ontos talked about during Rex's meeting with Klaus

Where Klaus and the Conduit go after the Aion battle

The Nopon Archsage's goal of having Rex, Shulk and Elma together and Elma's Heart-to-Heart conversation at the World Tree

I would've used bullet points in the spoiler text but bullet points at least used to remove spoiler tags on this site. I don't want XC1 spoilers, saying if answers are found in the base XC1 game is enough.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Dezzy Well notably, the faces in the Wii version are just 2D textures, so all facial animations are thus new.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EUI1nAfWkAAizxq?format=jpg&na...

There's also some things with Metal Face where his animations are changed as well. Clearly many, if not the vast majority are reused, but there's a not insignificant amount of tweaked and new ones.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Heavyarms55

@Anti-Matter In 1 you just take armor off or use a couple special armor types. In two it's DLC.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Tyranexx

Thanks for no Xenoblade spoilers, guys. The only one I've played, beaten, and enjoyed so far is Xenoblade Chronicles X.

@Dezzy Thanks for the comparison image! Many of those are night and day. I'm insanely glad I held off on picking up the game on the Wii U eShop now.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

It's definitely nothing to do with either Ontos or Klaus. Those are explained during the main story of XC1.

Dunno about the last one. I assumed all that DLC stuff was non-canon fan service really. I'm thinking this will be more story related.

@link3710

The faces are low quality in the original, but they're still animated. Look at the sheer range of expressions they have. You have to bear in mind that animation is done based on the relative rotation of bones, so you can share animations between 2 different 3D models that look completely different, as long as they have the same bones.
So in other words, as long as he's opening his mouth at the exact same time, it's probably the same animation, and it doesn't matter that his mouth looks a lot different (because most of those different are stored in the 3D model and the bone rigging, not in the animation itself)

Untitled

Edited on by Dezzy

kkslider5552000

I will say, and this is super nitpicky since it still looks good, I think I prefer Smash's take on "Shulk in HD" over this. That felt...closer to what I imagine this would be. This is more like Shulk with Xenoblade 2 visuals, which is fine, but is ultimately a different feel from the original's slightly darker style. And the characters (specifically in cutscenes) are the only thing that feel like a new style, like the rest of the game just looks like Xenoblade redone in HD.

Maybe that's just me though. It could be worse, they could've used Xenoblade X's lack of facial emotion. And I'm really only complaining because it's the only thing that feels even remotely off about this remake.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Dezzy

There are some more preview clips of this on youtube, that come from the japanese nintendo page for the game.

But beware, they contain a rather big spoiler (no idea why nintendo would upload a clip containing a spoiler).

So if you've already played the game (at least past the first 5 hours or so, it's an early spoiler), go ahead and search for them. Newcomers should stay away though.

Edited on by Dezzy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic