Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

Posts 161 to 180 of 1,302

link3710

@gcunit To add onto what Ralizah said, take a look at the backgrounds. Not only are they better textured, but the poly count of the environment has been improved as well. They just kept the same design while making it look less blocky because well, the environments are gorgeous to begin with. But if you take a closer look in the comparisons people have put up, you'll notice smaller things like the bridge having been remodeled despite keeping a similar design. Plus, they've 100% overhauled how lighting in the game works to look far more natural.

Everything about this game suggests we're getting some deeper changes. Some QOL things seem near certain (like asterisks for unread chats), while others could go either way.

EDIT: Since the posts crossed, what I was trying to say is that if they're going in and making QoL changes at that level for graphics, the chances of them not doing QoL changes for the game itself are slim.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Ralizah

@gcunit I do think we misunderstood each-other. I thought you were saying the new models looked like slightly tweaked versions of what we got in the Wii games graphically, which couldn't be further from the truth.

But yeah, it's clearly the same basic character design, just with a dramatically improved character model (and more anime-esque aesthetics).

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Dezzy

gcunit wrote:

but if you go back to the start of this thread and look at the comparison video that was posted, it looks like a pretty underwhelming treatment to me. Sure, the Switch version looks a bit cleaner, but aside from a slight tweak to the character designs, this game just looks like a sharper version of the original. If they were going to make any significant changes to the mechanics and UI I would have thought they'd do a bit more with the graphics too.

Ideally they'd improve the character movement animations, as they seem pretty dated, but I'm not expecting it.

Ha, that's probably because you're not a Xenoblade supernerd, so you just don't notice all the changes. There are quite a substantial list of upgrades on display there.

-completely redone characters
-textures redone in higher resolution
-environment geometry redone with higher poly counts
-added detail to the environments
-new material shaders for different types of surface
-post processing shaders on things like glowing lights

The reason that only looks quite minor is because the trailer was so limited. But when you scale this up onto everything in the game, it's probably going to look quite impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being one of the best looking games on the Switch. Especially due to the fact that the game is already hyper optimized, so hopefully they can get a 1080p output resolution on it in docked mode.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Dezzy

I've watched this 3 times already. It looks sooooo good. Some of the character faces are a bit weird looking, but oh well, that does make it an accurate remaster of the original, Lol.

Kinda glad they went with an additional story for the Bionis Shoulder actually. That's a good idea and means they don't have to mess with the original story and its excellent pacing.

The only vaguely negative thing I have to say here is: THEYD BETTER MAKE THIS REMASTERED SOUNDTRACK OPTIONAL. Why on earth would you mess with the greatest videogame soundtrack ever made? They really should've just left that.

Edited on by Dezzy

Neoguardian86

Most exciting game out of the mini Direct. Insta-get for me.

CURRENTLY PLAYING
Switch: live A Live
Playstation 5: Assassins Creed Origins
Xbox Series X:
iOS: Final Fantasy 6 Pixel Remaster
3DS XL:

PSN : Neoguardian86
Steam : GhostinShell86

Switch Friend Code: SW-5194-5130-4929 | 3DS Friend Code: 5430-0557-6118 | Nintendo Network ID: Neoguardian86

darkfenrir

I'm waiting for it to get preload first before buying... IDR to USD is still really bad so I'm in no hurry

darkfenrir

Dezzy

Looks like they're making some small adjustments to the main story to incorporate the connection to XC2. If you look at all of the new character designs, you can see a pretty important change in the character with the big connection to XC2.
I won't say anything else to avoid spoiling it for newcomers.

Grumblevolcano

Of course Europe gets the best special edition again.

US:

• Game
  • Artbook

Europe:

• Game
  • Steelbook
  • Vinyl
  • Music download code
  • Poster
  • Artbook

Here's the UK version of the trailer:

@Dezzy It feels like Future Connected probably has story connection to XC2.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Quarth

It looks effin amazing!

Man, with all this Corona crap around us, I’m glad we have our video game worlds to escape to. Animal Crossing has been a comfort the last couple of days and this remaster/remake of XC will be the perfect game to take over when we hopefully are on our way out of this nightmare (I might be too optimistic though).

Thanks Nintendo and Monolith Soft. I really enjoyed XC2, but it wasn’t as good as the first game. This is everything I hoped for!

Edited on by Quarth

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

link3710

I still think the new side story is going to tie in with XC3, not XC2. No idea how that'll work, but given XC3 is long in development (~1.5 years) it's totally possible.

link3710

Quarth

@link3710 There’s a third game in development?! Must have missed that!

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 Wasn't Monolith's next game a medieval game that had nothing to do with Xenoblade?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano There's 5 monolith soft offices now, 3 full size 2 support

1. New IP ARPG
2. Supporting BotW2 (Monolith Kyoto)
3. XC1: DE
4. New Xenoblade
5. Unknown, presumably also supporting BotW2 or perhaps another title.

To be clear, this is based on the hiring pages. They simply confirmed it was a new title (not a remake) and strongly hinted it was in the Xenoblade IP (like Zelda and BotW2's hiring page). We don't know anything further, nor has it been officially announced. Also, until XCDE releases we won't know if it was made by the other small office or the newest big office.

Source on hiring: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nintendoenthusiast.com/monol...
Source on 5 offices:
https://nintendoeverything.com/monolith-soft-adds-new-osaki-s...

Edit: Actually reviewing this, the hiring call may have been for the remake? It specifically says it is looking for UI/UX design and level design and we know they completely the UI overhauled the UI and added a new area...

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Tyranexx

The release date for this game was one of the highlights of the stealth Direct for me; it was one of the reveals I've been hoping for. I've never played the original game. I love JRPGs and have heard MANY excellent things about this one. I'm excited enough that I'm getting this day one, which is very rare for me to do!

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

SKTTR

They called this a Nintendo Direct Mini!

With games like Xenoblade, Bioshock, Borderlands, XCOM, Elder Scrolls, Bravely Default II, a new Smash reveal, and two new Nintendo IPs (Good Job! and 51 Worldwide Games) and many more new games, I now wonder how a normal Nintendo Direct would be like.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Dezzy

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Dezzy It feels like Future Connected probably has story connection to XC2.

What are you basing that on? Just that portal thingy?

Dezzy

I did a comparison. This might be helpful for anyone who's new to the game, to see how much of an upgrade this is.

Untitled

Edited on by Dezzy

Heavyarms55

Graphics are very low on my list of what's important for a game. But when I already know I LOVE the story, gameplay and music for a game - seeing just how bloody GORGEOUS this game looks, has me drooling!

@Dezzy whatever you tried to share, doesn't seem to be loading.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic