Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

Posts 121 to 140 of 1,302

Dezzy

@link3710

That's actually a pretty good use of the joycons, that Nintendo probably didn't intend. It's helpful if you can move your arms separately while you run. With a single controller, you couldn't do that.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

iKhan

Surprised people prefer XC1’s combat. I loved how much more involved XC2 was.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Dezzy

I wonder what this remake means for the possible XCX port. Does it mean we're not getting that, or just that it'll be a few years down the line. Cos that game feels like it really deserved a bigger audience too.

@iKhan

I'd put them about equally good. Same as XCX too. I liked that one about the same amount too.

Dezzy

@StephanDLW

Takahashi did say at one point that a port of XCX would be a massive amount of work. That's possibly the only reason stopping it.
I've gotta assume it's something to do with how the open-world was optimized to run on the Wii U. If there's something about how that was done that would need to be changed for the Switch, I can imagine that being a massive workload, because XCX had like the biggest open-world I've ever seen in a single player game (not including empty worlds for driving games)

Edited on by Dezzy

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy The comment was "It's a massive game. Re-creating it would be really difficult.".

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/10/monolith_soft_direc...

Changes in Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition compared to the Wii original may make this comment a lot clearer. Could be there's a bunch of things Monolith Soft want changed in XCX as a result of the Switch being more powerful than the Wii U so rather than a port it would be more like a remake and this is why "re-creating" is mentioned.

As for the release date thing, we'll just have to wait and see. If it does end up being June, the 10th anniversary will have no doubt played a part.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Tyranexx

I also believe XCX deserves a wider audience, but I likewise consider it to be in potential port limbo due to comments made in the article above. I quite enjoyed the game; the main story itself ranged from decent to meh, but the world, various characters, alien races, indigens, and many of the side quests more than made up for that in my book.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

kkslider5552000

I kind of agree but part of me wonders how difficult it would be compared to Xenoblade 1. They don't need to actually change how Xenoblade X looks at all (I mean there's a couple of things I wish they changed in that regard, but its an HD game that looks like an HD game and can be easily sold as such). Whereas most of the stuff changed for X I want wouldn't be as dramatic and the only stuff that they NEED to change would be to put the Wii U features somewhere else.

But of course, I don't think they would use a re-release of X to add in a more conclusive ending or much new story in general like some people think they would.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

I'm very dubious that they could improve the graphics of XCX. That was the most advanced game on the Wii U, and is already more impressive than 95% of Switch games.

I think by "re-creating", they just mean getting it working in a different version of the engine. I don't think they mean they'd have to go through and remake every single art asset.

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy I'm not talking graphics, I mean stuff more like how you mentioned on earlier pages of this forum (particularly 1 and 3) that Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition adds in cut content and potentially changes the position of some areas. Also handling of the file size, given how XC2 handled being close to 16GB at launch I'd guess they'd want an everything on the cart situation for XCX meaning having to use the very expensive 32GB carts (I'm assuming it's very expensive as like only 2 or 3 games use it of which the first and only usage of it outside Asia is Witcher 3).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano Game card prices are constantly going down though, which might be why XC1E is coming out first, despite being an entirely different engine + art assets. If XCX:DE is a 2022 title, then 32GB cards might cost what 16GB ones do now, or less.

link3710

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

Oh right, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant the increased resolution and new textures/models.

If they do port XCX, I don't think they'll change anything though. The rationale for porting it would be "almost no-one had a Wii U so there's loads of people who'll be seeing this for the first time".
That's different than XC1, which has been available on 3 consoles (and emulated by thousands on PC). They're adding stuff because if it was just a straight up-res, a lot of people wouldn't bother.

Edited on by Dezzy

darkfenrir

I don't mind expansion but I want it to stay to its core.

>also Nopons wtf

They are consistently shown as sentient creature, that will be like eating cows when they could talk and even learn physics etc!

darkfenrir

link3710

Spin-offs are almost inevitable in any growing franchise. Technically Xenoblade already did have its first one with Project X-Zone 2, but I'll be curious when we get the first dedicated spinoff. Well, a true spinoff, not a sort of gaiden game like XCX. Which falls more under the "Experimental second entry" like LoZ II, Fire Emblem Gaiden, Super Mario Bros 2 (West), etc.

I'm just not sure what form would be best suited? Of course Xeno Warriors would be best, but I think to really pull that off Koei-Tecmo would need to pull in Xenosaga as well, something I could see Bandai-Namco, Monolith and NIntendo all agreeing on, but it's still a lot of negotiating. Honestly, I'd love to see a Xeno Wars game, an Advance Wars title with the Xeno IP? Especially if it was stylized after XCX with Skells.

link3710

SKTTR

I want Xenoblade Chronicles X2. Hope they start it when they're done with BotW2 and Xeno1DefEd.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

link3710

@SKTTR Given that neither the team responsible for BotW2 (Monolith Kyoto I believe) nor the team responsible for XC:DE (Monolith Iidabashi or Osaki, no confirmation which yet) would be involved with XCX2, you might not have to wait. We know two of the other teams projects, an original ARPG (Monolith Nakameguro I believe, probably the next to release) and the next Xenoblade (Monolith Meguro/HQ, though we don't know if it's XC3, XCX2 or a third option) and the final studio's project is still a mystery, though they are the other team I mentioned for XCDE.

link3710

Dezzy

How do they have so many different studios when their games have only sold quite moderate numbers? Have Nintendo invested a lot in the company independently of that?

link3710

@Dezzy Well, there's a couple reasons:
Monolith HQ: well that's always been there, no questions.
Monolith Kyoto: Was opened with support from Nintendo solely to support other studios. Not a full size studio. They're the ones who have worked on Splatoon, BotW etc, and are very successful.
Monolith Nakameguro: They're second full size studio, opened up to allow them to tackle to projects at once and expand their portfolio. This was the first expansion since Kyoto was created after the buyout back in 2017, and we can assume Kyoto and HQ managed to fund it considering the time that had passed and lack of any losses.

So these three make sense, it's the last two that are curiousities. One of them was created with XC:DE as their first project. Given that there were comments on updating XCX as well, we can assume this is a smaller studio that was opened to bring forwards the back catalog after the unexpected success of XC2, probably using the profits from that game (we know it and Torna went way past their estimates in sales so). I'd expect them to stick to stuff like remakes and ports for now, they probably aren't set up to develop full games.

The final studio is the big mystery though. We don't even know the size. Is it another Kyoto, opened up by Nintendo to support their internal teams? One opened up for a collaboration with another company? Did Nintendo fund it to reboot one of their IPs? We don't know why it was opened or what it is working on. It was probably the one opened up in early 2018 (Osaka, opened at the beginning of this year, would match what I'd suspect the timeline for XC:DE at about 18 months from start to release better.), Which means they've been on it for awhile. For all we know, it could be created to power a collaboration with Bandai Namco (Xenosaga 4?).

So yeah, they've opened up three studios in three years somehow, and I'm so curious to see the result.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Dezzy

Hmmmm well the quality of their core developers is unlikely to scale outwards across an infinite number of new studios, so it can't be assumed to be automatically good.

Maybe one studio has been created purely to remaster older games though. That could be interesting. They might do XC1 followed by XCX and Xenosaga. Or maybe those Batos Kaiken, or whatever it was called, given that those were on Nintendo platforms.

Edited on by Dezzy

link3710

@Dezzy I would die of happiness if Baten Kaitos got resurrected. Fix some of the pacing issues with the battles, and you'll have a wonderful duo of RPGs to bring back. Nintendo owns the second game (Baten Kaitos Origins) in the same way they own Bayonetta 2 and 3, so if it comes back Nintendo would have to be involved.

link3710

Dezzy

Lol Xenoblade is the first time they've had sensible titles and branding for their games.

No idea what "Baten Kaitos" means, since I didn't play them. And then Xenosaga had those german subtitles, which I also don't understand since I don't speak German and didn't play the games. I'm guessing it had something to do with Nietzsche though because one of them mentioned Zarathustra.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic