Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Posts 481 to 500 of 3,939

kkslider5552000

I rarely got a cliched experience out of the environments tbh. The fact that forests and icy mountains and grassy fields are used a lot in JRPGs and games is not the best example of standard being a bad thing. Otherwise most game environments in games people like are standard and boring too.

There was this popular image of a bunch of 2011 first person shooters that looked remarkably similar. And while it was a bit out of context and unfair, it still kinda had a point. But, I'm not sure you could show me environments in Xenoblade that are comparably indistinguishable from the ones in other RPGs.

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Tsurii

@Dezzy I'm not saying that's a bad thing per se. Like I said, the cool thing about Xenoblade's areas is that it's all happening on those big beings, not that you're running around a forest or glacier. Xenoblade as a whole is a good example of how to make good use of tropes tho. I think someone already mentioned that.

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

Dezzy

The one thing Xenoblade has definitely done that's very tropey is following the standard climate zones that so many JRPGs have. You have the grassy area, the industrial area, the snowy area, etc etc.
It is nice when games depart from that formula a bit.
I rember being surprised in FF12 about how much of the main map is based around a desert because I was so used to that formula

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

MasterWario

Tarvaax wrote:

MasterWario wrote:

@Dezzy I don't know if they'll ever top Xenoblade 1. That is a special game. But if they did it once, they can do it again. However, I certainly don't think it will be this time, although Xenoblade 2 sure looks incredibly expansive.

Xenoblade Chronicles suffers from stale voice acting, cookie cutter character tropes and horrible fetch quests. What it did well was it's music, lore/world building and story. Problem is, that may make a good book/tv series, but it doesn't make a perfect game by any stretch. Xenoblade Chronicles X brought better voice acting, better world design, great side quests with actual consequences and narrative meaning, but it was poor when it came to offering a rich narrative tale for the main quest. That makes for a great game, but not a gripping, timeless adventure.

The thing is, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 seems to combine the better aspects of both games. If it can take the rich story and music from the first game, and combine it with every other aspect from Xenoblade Chronicles X, you'd have a perfect, amazing game.

@Tarvaax Decided I'd respond in the Xenoblade 2 thread. The voice acting was one of my favorite things "Now it's Reyn time!", the characters felt quite unqiue with my limited JRPG knowledge, and I didn't bother too much with the quests. I grabbed as many as I could when I went to a hub area, but that was it. Plus, remember, you don't have to turn in your quests which was great! And on top of it all, the gameplay was engrossing. So even if it played out like a book, I was hooked because of the gameplay. It was certainly not a perfect game. I had a myriad of problems, but I also experienced many video game "firsts", which puts the game high on my score ladder.

By the two main character designs of Xenoblade 2, I can already tell I won't enjoy it as much as 1. But if I get the game I will enjoy it, for sure! I'm open to surprises, but I'm not confident about them.

Unfortunately I can't say much about Xenoblade X, as I never played it. Someone here convinced me to get it eventually, but the avatar character is a big turnoff for me.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

Dezzy

Yeah I was fine with the voice acting in both of the first 2 games. I'm generally don't put a huge amount of importance into voice acting. It just needs to not be awful and I'm happy.
The difference between Xenoblade Chronicles voice acting (which I'd call average/ok) and The Last Of Us voice acting (which I'd call superb) has a fairly limited effect on how much I enjoy a game.
Things like dialogue and scene direction I think easily as much as the quality of the voice acting.

Edited on by Dezzy

Snaplocket

@Dezzy The actual areas you travel are pretty standard fare. Not a bad thing but they honestly don't do much with the giant titan thing until the very end of the game. Anyways, looking forward to this, didn't like the first game, liked X, and I can already tell I'm gonna enjoy this way more then the original.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Dezzy

@Snaplocket

Some of them are standard fare. Colony 9, Valak Mountain and Makna Forest look like areas you might find in any JRPG.

Bionis Leg, Eryth Sea and the Fallen Arm, seem far more interesting and unusual.

Bionis Leg and the fallen arm especially are those areas where the fact that you're on a giant robot is much clearer in the design.

Edited on by Dezzy

Snaplocket

@Dezzy They're still pretty few and far between.

SKTTR

@Dezzy

What?? There are other games that have areas like Valak Mountain and Makna Forest? Don't be kidding me! Where have I lived all these years?

Show me the many other games that you have played where you travel for miles downhill a mountain looking like this:
Untitled

And show me the many other RPGs you have played with a forest like this:
Untitled
Untitled

No man... when even the most generic grassy plains look like this..
Untitled
..you can't compare it to standard RPG world design anymore. The locations in Xenoblade are not just different from other RPGs, they're different from other games!

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Snaplocket

@SKTTR Not really, it's easy to cherry pick a few screenshots. What you see most of the time is standard fare. Most Rpgs have areas that if shot in the right place look very unique.

Dezzy

@SKTTR

I dunno where you live. But I didn't mean they are identical to areas in other games. Just the locale styles are fairly common. The only unique thing about Valak is that they have those random crystals at night time.
Plenty of games have big snowy mountain areas, plenty have jungles and watefalls.

SKTTR

@Snaplocket: I was talking with Dezzy as he pointed out these specific areas. I could add more beautiful unique screenshots of those areas but I think a few "cherry picked" examples are good enough to show that the areas are not really "standard". I'm just waiting for him to tell me what these beautiful games were he played that made these Xenoblade locations so "standard" for him.

Dezzy wrote:

The only unique thing about Valak is that they have those random crystals at night time.

Have you actually played the game? Would you mind showing me the other games with a mountain "without the random crystals" that goes steep downhill 95% of the time, with a tunnel of crystal ice to slide through, several strengths of wind and snow, hot springs, lost ruins, and Giant floating monsters, etc. etc. Of course the "mountain" has to be just the armpiece of a humongous frozen-in-time God robot and the people and all creatures live like bacteria on the surface of its skin.

I know that many games have waterfalls and other nice things in their forests. But many games have just trees in their forests. You don't recognize or realise the work that went into Xenoblade (at least you make it sound like it). Have another (deeper) look at the game!

Ps. Those crystals don't appear randomly at night time. They just start to glow. At daytime they're glassy. You don't seem to have spent 400 hours with the game like I did.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

MasterWario

@Snaplocket Well you're around normal-ish areas for a good while, but once you hit the marsh there's no way I can agree with you, other than several exceptions. But again, my JRPG knowledge is a bit limited.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

Snaplocket

@MasterWario I'm pretty much 100% certain it's your limited knowledge of JRPGs. FYI I played through the entire game twice so yeah, I'm pretty set in stone in my statements towards the game.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Snaplocket

@MasterWario If you like, you like it. No amount of time or number of replays is gonna change. It's just that I don't like it.

Dezzy

SKTTR wrote:

Have you actually played the game? Would you mind showing me the other games with a mountain "without the random crystals" that goes steep downhill 95% of the time,

Untitled

(I think most video game mountains actually go steep downhill 95% of the time)

Edited on by Dezzy

Inertiacreep

@SLIGEACH_EIRE first of all i am laughing my ass off clicking the link to that shows a close up of his genital bush.. second of all i am SO excited for this game that 2 times in a week i forgot about the month of October thinking this game comes out in a month .

Inertiacreep

PikPi

Dezzy wrote:

SKTTR wrote:

Have you actually played the game? Would you mind showing me the other games with a mountain "without the random crystals" that goes steep downhill 95% of the time,

Untitled

(I think most video game mountains actually go steep downhill 95% of the time)

Mountains man, how do they work!

(This is not a statement on any opinion in this thread, don't tag me explaining the intricacies of videogame mountains, directed at everyone )

Edited on by PikPi

PikPi

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic