Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Posts 3,961 to 3,980 of 3,982

Grumblevolcano

@Hallonblad Didn't work but I think your logic is along the right lines. I'm thinking I was able to buy 4 in Chapter 1 because you had a party of 4 but those 4 accessory kits end up for Rex, Nia, Tora and Vandham so you can't buy more until the other drivers arrive. I'll find out soon enough whether this is the case.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@roadrunner343 NWN was based on the D&D rules like Baldur's Gate, and DA:O was a loose clone of that without using the D&D rules and license. So they were actually based on pen and paper rule-sets....veeery turn based. With actual pauses and waits unlike XC2. I'd say those were much more turn based. XC2 is more like FF12, Child of Light, WoFF where character speed affects your actions.

Yeah the game does not explain anything well at all. I played over half the game not understanding blade bonding, chain attacks, or field skills/affinity charts at all and only using story blades. The folks in this thread were the only way I figured out how you're supposed to be playing. (mostly thanks to a boss later that gates your progress until you understand what you're doing. Easy to cheese on easy mode, not fun on normal.) Plus field skill check gates that force you to finally learn the affinities, blade bonding, and merc missions....which I also didn't get until the folks here explained it Yeah, I used Pyra mostly as my "primary" on Rex, but once you get into chaining, you'll need to switch up your blades to get the elemental combos you need onto the enemy (orbs. If you do lv3 combos you attach an orb of that element to the enemy. That becomes critical in unleashing a chain, and possibly getting enough orbs to do a full burst combo.) If you made it to the merc camp, you already got the tutorial on full bursts and chains, and the game did the tutorial so badly that you had no idea what's going on and ignored the system, just like I did

You can get through until you get to Temperantia without understanding chains. The boss there will force you to understand though. I.E. enemies at 50% health go into rage. They do more damage. Bosses can do obscene damage in rage mode and wipe you. The only way to deal with that is by properly chaining/bursting where, if you set things up right in the first half of the battle, you can ohko them for the last half (or close to it.) That means using your combos (A/ZL/ZR moves with everyone's blades) to Lv3, and if the last one is say, fire, you attach a fire orb to the enemy. Attach say, fire, water, earth, then when your party gauge is full hit + to enter chain combo. You attack the orbs in rotation in that mode. Each orb has 3HP. Attacks will attack their opposite element orb (a.k.a. Pyra attacks water orbs.) If no opposite exists, attacks attack a random orb. Opposite attacks do 2HP damage. Random attacks do 1HP. Shatter an orb and you keep going into round 2. Break all the orbs and attack with multiplier damage for the last round. Break enough orbs and you do a full burst (a special QTE attack that does insane damage.)

That's confusing to say. More confusing to read. But once you try it a few times and understand what that all means it's easy And requires some strategy.

Tora and Poppi can be devastating, but I don't have the Tiger! Tiger! dedication to make Poppi that useful And Tora can't take 3 blades for most of the game so that limits your combos with him. (Of course, people doing Tiger Tiger and New Game + can use him devastatingly...)

XC2 works entirely differently than XC1 and X so this battle system is all new. Only break/topple/launch/smash remain staples. Torna changes it up again (easier, maybe too easy in some ways.)

NEStalgia

roadrunner343

@NEStalgia To be clear, I wasn't suggesting XC2 should or should not be turn-based - simply that for whatever reason, I have played games that were more blatantly turn based, such as D&D based RPGs, that still felt like they had a more active battle system. Perhaps that reason is just my own ignorance to the games combat systems.

As for the game explaining things poorly, I'll agree. I never felt completely lost with any one system as the introduced it, but I know for sure I wasn't using them effectively, and the game doesn't really force you to understand a concept before moving on to the next. This may be the bigger problem, because I without this discussion, I'm not sure I would have ever realized I was doing something so wrong, because I did watch a couple videos and try to pay attention to the game's tutorials back when I first played it. Especially after reading some of the comments here, I know I'm not doing things correctly. Definitely not doing burst moves either. I guess I do have about a month of downtime until Smash, so maybe I will try to give this another shot.

Edited on by roadrunner343

roadrunner343

NEStalgia

@roadrunner343 I think that impression is created partly by the game A) Not explaining anything, insufficiently explaining what it does explain, and trying to throw the kitchen sink into having so many convoluted systems, many of which seem irrelevant, and in some ways are, or should be. B) The game is pretty forgiving (at least for a while) in letting you progress without testing your knowledge of the systems. By the time it does test you, it's a hard wall and you're hours behind in figuring out you don't know what you're doing. Dark Souls may be obnoxious, punishing and hard, but what it does do is make sure you more more less know what you're doing to even leave the tutorial area, or at least you figure out you're never going to be able to figure it out before you leave the tutorial area. XC2 kind of lets you plod along at an ok pace while clueless. Then you get about half-way through and that's when they decide to tell you you have no idea what you're doing, go home. Japanese in general are usually amazing at teaching at just the right pace, but apparently Monolith's producers are the exception to the rule. I had the same kind of experience you did, with a lot of the same problems, however, I was faring a little better with keeping the pace up coming from XC1 and X so I had more "concept" familiarity of how a Xeno game works. Even though the actual systems in this one are entirely new. (And seriously, the affinity charts are obnoxious. Torna did it so much better.)

...And then I read the second paragraph and saw you mostly said the same thing Yes, you're exactly right, the game doesn't force you to understand things where it should, and that's the core problem. Heck, the affinity field skills you can mostly cheese until the last 1/3 of the game where suddenly you start needing like Lv7 lightening and you have 1..... And that takes a lot of after-the-fact grinding and RNG blade generation.

I'd definitely advise if you overall like the game but don't have a handle on the systems, give it a try and stick with this thread for help. Everyone here gave me more information in 5 minutes than the whole game's tutorials did, in clearer text, too (Except, ignore Evil too much, he sets up everything for playing as hard as possible...he's set for PvP builds in a game without PvP )

I don't think merc missions are unlocked for you yet, that opens up at the camp after the Uraya chapter, so you're probably at a good spot in the game to learn the things you're missing still. That's when the grinding of RNG blades really begins (It's just a menu-driven metagame thing to send blades out on "missions" and they can upgrade that way on a timer.) Unlike me, I was like 4-5 chapters ahead of that before I learned I had no idea how to play.

NEStalgia

Hallonblad

@roadrunner343 Yeah, the game isn't the best at explaining the different battle systems to the player, and it doesn't help that there is no way to re-read the tutorials. I figured everything out on my own by trial and error, which made me understand them very well once I got the hang of it, but before that... it was often quite frustrating.

Pyra is a monster and should be able to carry you through the entire story (and into postgame if you so choose.) If you have Dagas, put him on another driver so you get the extra damage. Pyra's level 3 special deals a fair amount of damage, you can use Mythra to "charge" her and then switch back to Pyra for the actual attack. Since Dagas is fire elemental he can step in with a special to keep the combo going if you should mess up with Pyra for whatever reason.
I really like Pyra. She's fun to use, much more so than Mythra. :3 So maybe I'm biased. But I'm not wrong in saying she's very good at what she does.

Chain attacks are not as complicated as they seem at first, and they will undoubtedly make the battles go faster. Just press + when your special meter thingy in the top left corner is full, and then wreak havoc on your enemies. Mythra's level 2 (second round in a chain attack) has a really big reach and is AOE, so if you're fighting several enemies that is a good one to use so kill them off , or at least hurt all of them simultaneously. You'll need elemental orbs on the enemy in order to prolong the chain attack though, so make sure to do a lot of Blade combos (which will also fill up your chain attack meter, so good things all around.)
Later in the game you won't want to put orbs on the enemies, since it gives them resistance against the element/s that orb is, but you don't need to worry about that until muuuch later.

As for using Tora, there is nothing wrong with doing so, but. You don't get QTpi (best attacker in the game with the right build (and a lot of Tiger! Tiger!)) until chapter 8, and you don't get any Dilaton core chips until postgame. Those chips will make alpha borderline unkillable, making Tora well worth a spot on your team. Until then, there just isn't any justification to have him on there when the other drivers can do everything better. Of course, if you just love Poppi to bits and don't care about efficiency, then that is the only reason that really matters.

@Grumblevolcano Oooh. Yeah, there you go. ^-^ All I know is you can get kits for everyone. Now all you have to do is fill out the second of Vandham's affinity charts and solo Relentless Arduran with him and Roc.

Edited on by Hallonblad

Switch friend code: SW-1684-7611-8315
Backlog: https://backloggery.com/Hallon
#supercasualgamer

LuigiTheGreenFire

I finally finished the main quest of the game after nearly 100 hours and playing since Christmas of last year. There were times where the game would frustrate me enough to where I went 2-3 weeks without even playing at all.
I agree that the game could explain things a lot better. But that seemed like a problem with the first Xenoblade Chronicles as well. That game took me about 10 months or so too (and about 200 hours!).
I think I like the story and gameplay better in the second. And it's an added bonus that it has an expansion pass (going to start Torna soon).
The game could use a decent amount of improvements, but it's still great. It just requires a lot of patience.

What Would W. Do?

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1033-1732 | Nintendo Network ID: Wman1996

NEStalgia

@LuigiTheGreenFire I think you'll be pleased with a lot of the questing/systems/explanation improvements in Torna. They oversimplified some things, and it's a smaller scope game. But they did great with it!

NEStalgia

subpopz

Finally got Torna and the time to get started on it. Love returning to this world as XB2 is one of my favourite games and one of my top games on Switch. Torna already makes me want to play XB2 thru again after, but I think it's too soon as I still remember everything pretty well. Not too far into it yet, but I like seeing the Blades as they were in this time.
I had been playing other 'AAA' games recently and returning to Xenoblade 2 was almost jarring, visually. It's so vibrant and colourful (especially after playing Nier:Automata).

Switch - Torna: The Golden Country, Sonic Mania, Paladins, NES Online (Dr. Mario only)
3DS -
PC - Nier: Automata, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat XL

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

NEStalgia

@subpopz That's interesting you'd compare it to Nier as a contrast. In a lot of ways I find Nier reminds me of XC2 (particular sections, of course). And Torna, since both have such bleak backdrops.

NEStalgia

subpopz

@NEStalgia Nier: Automata is a beautiful game too, but I found the colour palette dull and limited (which was purposely done to be representative of the dystopian setting) with brighter colours only peppered here and there, like the fireworks display. Nier was actually a more vibrant looking game initially when it was showcased pre-release and then muted later for the actual release.
I'm not far into Torna yet, only having been on the Torna and Gormott Titans so far, but the colours are varied, bright, vibrant and really pop. For example, I don't recall any blues in Nier like the bight blue of Brighid. Immediately going from Nier that's missing those colours to a game like XB2 that has them in abundance really makes it noticeable.

Switch - Torna: The Golden Country, Sonic Mania, Paladins, NES Online (Dr. Mario only)
3DS -

NEStalgia

@subpopz Oh, certainly, the color palette in XC universe is much brighter than...well...any Taro game. Purely visually that's true. Torna is a very somber world, barely less so than Nier. Not dystopian and designed to make you feel uneasy, but just....sad. It's very autumnal in tone for obvious reasons.

But the actual world of Nier and some sections of XC2 are thematically very similar. Visually, too.

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

This game along with others like Tropical Freeze and Star Allies is gonna be on sale for $35 at Walmart during Black Friday. Get it if you haven't, spread the word.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Trajan

@NEStalgia The main Torna music gives me an uneasy feeling. Definitely adds to the atmosphere.

Question for you guys if you know:
why does Minoth have gun daggers, but Cole gives Rex a regular dagger as his weapon to give to Amalthus?

"Although PS2 was a sales success because it had a DVD player function, it troubled me that we had moved to a hardware where the sole function wasn’t playing games,” - Satoru Iwata

MONOLITHSOFT and Rareware (SNES-GC) fanboy

NEStalgia

@Trajan interesting question. I'm not sure there's a story reason for that. I wouldn't be surprised if that cut scene was already done and late in torna dev the designers decided gun blades were cool for him.

NEStalgia

Trajan

@NEStalgia Yeah that's what I figured man. Was curious if there was a story aspect.

I'll tell you, if you have the time, replay the game after Torna. Super interesting.

"Although PS2 was a sales success because it had a DVD player function, it troubled me that we had moved to a hardware where the sole function wasn’t playing games,” - Satoru Iwata

MONOLITHSOFT and Rareware (SNES-GC) fanboy

NEStalgia

@Trajan I can imagine....it really changes your thinking on so many characters and your perception of events. I still think Malos has one of the most interesting and subtle character developments in the game. He went from pure destructive indifference to actually questioning everything despite continuing, and his reasoning changed somewhat. On paper he's "the villain" throughout. But the character changes to him are exceedingly subtle but significant from where we see him in Torna to where we see him at the end of XC2 at the tree. Very subtle but very well done.

NEStalgia

subpopz

@NEStalgia It was funny that after we had a couple posts about comparing Torna to Nier, I found myself crossing a desert in Torna (and sliding down a hill on sand, lol).
I've been out in the world a bit more and thematically it is similar to Nier, like when you come across the places Malos has been. The colour difference is still quite striking. I know what they were going for in Nier, and a lot of other AAA games going for the dulled, "real" look, but I really like the vibrancy and variance of Xenoblades colours.

I know this game is a lot shorter than the main XB2 game, so I'm really milking it. Doing all the quests as they come up, exploring a lot, building up my Blades affinity trees, gathering everything I come across. I really miss the team building the main game had with opening cores and picking out the ones you wanted to use. Otherwise, the improvements are pretty good and it;s too bad they don;t patch them into the main game. I forgot some of the mechanics, and the tutorials are always there to view. Main game needs that. The affinity charts in the main game I didn't have too much trouble with, but this one is even more specific by telling you exactly what and where you need to do something. I like the old machines better than the salvaging, only because of the button game on salvaging.
I'm probably only about 12 hours in and I love it, its fantastic addition to the world. I can already tell the only thing I'm not going to like is the length (I know, I know...it's technically just an expansion). Already my affinity trees are almost done and my characters level 40. I loved XB2 and didn't want to leave the world, so I guess I can't gripe about getting a little more to go back to

3DS -

BrainOfGrimlock

Hey all! So literally just started this and found a lot of stuff/gifts/items in my menu under ‘expansion pass’ - examples include;

• war chest contribution from Bana
  • gift from Mr Rurui
  • newbie drivers core crystal set
  • final item distribution list
  • dlc blade list; distribution 3
  • driver essentials
  • upgrade parts for poppi

Naturally all that makes little to no sense to me (and that’s a good thing!), just curious if anyone has experience with them/knows if they’re game breaking in any way? I hate pre-order/expansion stuff that gives you a headstart/unfair jump, not sure if this stuff is that or generally/legitimately helpful stuff i’ll use more as the game goes on? Any non-spoiler-y help gratefully received, even one liners!

BrainOfGrimlock

Ralizah

@BrainOfGrimlock Nah. The biggest head-start you'll have is having access to more blades sooner than if you didn't start with a bunch of core crystals, which, trust me, is nothing that'll harm your experience with the game.

Ralizah

Hallonblad

@BrainOfGrimlock As I remember there isn't anything in there that will break the experience. It will alleviate a little bit of the Tiger! Tiger! frustration and give you a few core crystals. That's it. Go for it.

Switch friend code: SW-1684-7611-8315
Backlog: https://backloggery.com/Hallon
#supercasualgamer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic