Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Posts 3,881 to 3,900 of 3,985

EvilLucario

Rage Strike is a buff enemies can use that drain the Party Gauge. It's a bit random I think.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@hirokun yeah, i like your blade system design waaay better than theirs. I did need constant bonus xp spends just to keep up with level requirements in the main game. Id be several levels behind the area id be in, and couldn't do most of the side quests much of the time (i went back and did most side quests afteri got to the world tree and only then didi seem to have the requirements for them or the needed blades, skills, etc. But not in torna, the game itself seems to level naturally without it. And quests are actually (usually) doable when you get them.... Which is a massive improvement.

I also thought the merc missions and blade grinding were really annoying..... And i loathe ursula, praxis, and theory.... Grind City.

A lot of the main game feels designed to just arbitrarily consume as much time as possible on busy work just to get some kind of game length praise or something. It marrs an otherwise great experience. Torna really fixes most of that so wonderfully.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia You just have insanely bad luck. Your experience with XC2 Blade resonance is the equivalent of using a Bowser dice block in Super Mario Party for every turn of a normal match and getting -3 coins for most of the turns.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano that pretty much describes my entire life . i was given the "born under a black cloud" perk when my character was created.

NEStalgia

FaeKnight

That puts me of mind of a certain Rod Stewart song.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

EvilLucario

I mean there was also missing functions that the game literally tells you in the map like moving the cursor in the Skip Travel menu so everything is clearly laid out for players, but whatever.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario yeah, i really don't know how i hadn't discovered that..... Somehow I never moved the right stick in the map, i guess.... It at least not over location markers. Didn't discover it until 1/4 through torna and was like "whooa look at that!". I think it's becausei thought that was the fast travel screen and the L3 map was the map. That would have made quests easier. But a lot of quests still couldn't be done for ages after you get them. Torna does it right.

NEStalgia

Trajan

@Tsurii Honestly the game really isn't that hard. I remember on Dec 1 dying like 5 times in the first battle against Malos, but once I knew how the game worked it was quite easy except for super bosses.

I never had any trouble in Torna. Actually as I type this, I just beat Torna in NG+ on BoC. Hidden affinity completed, Jin, Mythra, and Brigidt are S+, Haze, Minoth, and Aegeon are S7 or S8. Community spirit for pouch items. I'm level 51 (I downleveled several times). Wasn't even difficult.

What I find funny are people who say the game is too difficult and therefore hate it. Like lol. Usually those are man childs though.

If anyone is interested, I can post the special artwork that's unlockable in the main game if you have the DLC and beat Torna. I just learned about it today.

Gonna use the one to make a poster like My Nintendo JPN has available. Maybe even get the fancy polymer/acrylic.

"Although PS2 was a sales success because it had a DVD player function, it troubled me that we had moved to a hardware where the sole function wasn’t playing games,” - Satoru Iwata

MONOLITHSOFT and Rareware (SNES-GC) fanboy

hirokun

I commited the cardinal sin of RPGs....I picked started playing 2 games at once! Disgea 1 remaster came out and I dove right in. Normally I loathe that style of RPG, but I mean...its a prinny good game dood.

Anyhow, Torna has really been impressive and I think I'm afraid of finishing it because then it will be over and I'll have to wait years for another xenoblade/monolift game. Though I do hold out hope that they will port xenoblade X to switch and have it ready for golden week next year.

I sexually identify as an oven baked turkey

Deku-Scrub

@hirokun I get what you mean with not wanting it to be over, after finishing Torna just a few days ago and beating the base game almost a year ago now, I definetly feel a sense of emptiness from having no more of this incredible story to enjoy and world to explore.

Idealy Xenoblade X2, 3, or whatever else they may come up with don’t take ages to come out, but the fact that they have begun working on a new project has my hopes up that we can expect a new game in about 3 or 4 years.

Edited on by Deku-Scrub

“I still don’t know where to find happiness. But I’ll continue to think about whether it’s good to be here… whether it was good to have been born. But in the end, it’s just realizing the obvious over and over again. Because I am myself.” – Shinji Ikari

Cynas

@Trajan The artwork really is quite nice. It's too bad we can't set custom backgrounds on the Switch, would be nice to use that picture.

Also, speaking of getting characters to S+, I really wish the base game included the same key items that Torna has which increase trust when getting Blades to max affinity in battle. Would have made trust grinding way less tedious.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Quarth

Will the battles get tougher later on in Torna? Right now it feels like a cakewalk and I never have the time to do some elemental combos as the enemies dies before I reach the third step.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

hirokun

@Deku-Scrub oh man, its worse for me. I had finished playing Xenoblade 1 on 3DS after doing as much as possible.Then what I did was play 2. It had been about 1 year after release. Then right about as I finished it torna came out. So I've had a solid maybe 3-4 months of playing xenoblade.

It is kind of interesting that I think I will miss the characters more than I crave the combat which is satisfying, and the exploring/upgrading and customizing(which I love and crave). I really enjoyed seeing the stories of everyone unfold. I just wished to have seen things resolve me for characters in both games. Especially for Sharla, Reyn and Melia in the first(Riki was too 1 dimensional to care about in the first place). Then I'd have really appreciated seeing more resolution with Nia. They made the nopon more interesting this time around too. Though I'd like to never see nopon again. Isn't it funny how a good story can drive your desire to play more though. I kind of don't expect a world continuation as I think the whole thing was a happy enough ending in both world lines that doesn't need more. But I could see a third game picking up again after 2 exploring the new world around them. I think it would be a good time to explore a new topic outside this man vs. fate thing.

Deku-Scrub

@hirokun I definitely got to agree about missing the characters more than the gameplay. The funny thing is that outside of Pokemon, personally I am not a huge RPG fan, and I find the combat in most RPGs to be boring and repetitive, but the story and characters of Xenoblade 2 caught my interest so much that I almost couldn't stop playing it. The combat for a change was actually really fun, and the combo build ups made it almost perfect for me. I wish I could have seen more of the main cast too, but unfortunately unless Xenoblade 3 is like a clashing of Xeno 1 and 2's worlds, I doubt we'll ever see Rex, Pyra, Nia, and the rest of the gang ever again. I desperately want to see more of them though.

Ironically, despite how much I loved Xenoblade 2, to the point where it is in my Top 5 games ever, I never played Xeno 1, not because I was never interested but that I simply have never gotten around to it (plus I vastly prefer Xeno 2's visual anime-type style significantly more). I had played Xeno X on the Wii U, but I never got past Chapter 4 because the world got bland fairly fast to me and the amount of grinding required was just too much. The combat just wasn't as fun in my opinion in that game either. I can also appreciate the concept of the Skells, but I never got that far to where I would have been able to have taken advantage of it.

“I still don’t know where to find happiness. But I’ll continue to think about whether it’s good to be here… whether it was good to have been born. But in the end, it’s just realizing the obvious over and over again. Because I am myself.” – Shinji Ikari

SKTTR

After beating Torna I redeemed my Xeno2 Bonus Content DLC code that was in the Torna box and continued my NG+ Xeno2 file. 20 hours later I finished the 20 (actually 23) new missions and have all the blades now. I'm S-ranking my final blades Crossette, Poppibuster, Shulk, Fiora, and Elma's affinity chart. I'm also trying to beat all the new portal arena challenges to get the new items and costumes.

Some of those challenges were pretty hard even on easy. For the first time I needed to change my equipment strategically for some battles instead of just exchanging good stuff for stronger stuff.

Just hit the 400 hour mark. My most played Switch game.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Quarth

One thing I (still) don’t like is the voice of the actor who plays Mythra. Sounds like it’s taken out of some bad teen sitcom. It doesn’t suit the rest of the cast or the tone of the game. Like in the main game, I think it sticks out like a sore thumb. Surprisingly the actor playing her is British!

hirokun

@Quarth You can't blame the actor for playing the character. She does a good job at it as I recall, never did much poorly performance wise. But I can agree the general way the character is made isn't the best. She could have grown more, but outside of Torna, she was a very questionable plot device that I still don't think needed to happen. She existed for shock value and to be a foil to Pyra which doesn't work when you are the same person...The voice actors who DID perform poorly were that for Rex(usually his all out yells weren't actually all out so it sounded really dumb) and Gramps/Azurda. Gramps had picked a voice, and he was chosen for his choice, not his ability to perform I am pretty sure. Most of his delivery felt like he was reading, and generally lacked the awareness of understanding why Gramps was saying what he was saying, so his work felt rather neutral the whole time. He was playing a voice, not a character.

EvilLucario

Also it helps to know that Pyra/Mythra's VA was her first role, so I can personally cut a bit of slack there since everyone has to start somewhere. And I heard a bit of rumblings that the VAs were a bit rushed, but I can't confirm that.

Regardless Torna's VA I thought it was spot-on. There was not a bad spot I can point, which is more than I can say for X and 2 which had some spotty performances all around even if they were overall good.

Quarth

@hirokun I don’t know what it is that makes my skin crawl. I just think she sounds insecure, even though the character is supposed to be confident (at least on the outside). It sounds like she’s trying to make the character tough, but don’t know how to express it, so it falls flat. I think it would have been better if she used her normal British accent instead of the fake American one.

But of course it’s not just the actors fault. As you say, the character has no real depth and the actor does a somewhat better job with Pyra, who feels like a more fleshed out character. And some lines were quite stupid, as well as the choice of music combined with the dialogue. The main problem with XC2 was the lack of tone.

Rex’s yells were dumb, but he felt more like a real character to me, so I didn’t have that much of a problem with his VA.

I think the VA is much better in Torna. Maybe they had more time recording the dialogue?

@EvilLucario Yeah, if it was rushed and her first job, I can understand why some of the delivery isn’t as good as it could have been.

Edited on by Quarth

NEStalgia

@Quarth @hirokun Am I the only one that liked Pyra/Mythra's VA and thought Mythra mostly stole the show?

At first I liked Pyra more but by the end of the game I found that Mythra really seemed to be the prominent one with more interesting complexity than "perfect waifu Pyra." And IMO Skye Bennett (same VA for both) did a great job keeping them distinct yet the same as best as one can do anyway. Mythra's gruff and domineering but with an innocent naivete and that comes across well.

Technically when you include the Torna DLC, I almost think that Pyra was the disposable "shock value" character that almost didn't need to exist. Mythra is really the Aegis. Pyra was a construct of hers, ostensibly to seal away her power and hide, but practically it was as though she prophetically created an entity that served no purpose but to be a perfect siren for Rex 500 years later. Then Mythra comes back, is the main character for the Aegis, and pretty much flips off Pyra who gets to come out for a brief cutscene here and there. At first I was disappointed and wanted to focus on Pyra's role, but by the end I found I didn't really know why Pyra was even there. After Mythra returned she didn't have any particularly Pyra roles in the story other than as Rex's heartthrob.

I think Mythra is insecure. That's her charm. She's confident, domineering, at times arrogant, but inside she's insecure and conflicted (which makes her even pushier.) A.k.a. very human. Plus, in Torna, when she and Malos were newly bonded, both of them start of as kind of arrogant and self important. Both of them were tempered by the start of XC2 due to the events in Torna. In Malos's case (though it's subtle) he's a lot more human and a lot less arrogant. Still fixed on his goals, but with more intricate reasons and less (if any) joy in the task. In Tona he's having fun with all the carnage. By XC2 it's clear from the beginning he's doing it because that's what he must do, and he does it purely coldly if not bitterly. He changed a lot. Similarly Mythra was kind of arrogant, overconfident, eager to use her overwhelming power. And before the events of XC2 she's hidden herself away, created an alter ego, and sunk herself away from the world in fear and doubt of what she's capable of, hiding behind Pyra so she doesn't confront that again. The Mythra of XC2 is one of major confusion and self doubt, but with the hard exterior all the same. She's interesting. Pyra on the other hand is the happy home maker that wants to go home.

Mythra (and Pyra), Malos, Nia and Tora kind of stole the show, voice talent wise in XC though. Let's face it, the game has Nia. VA: 10/10.

Edit: I do miss Nia, but I will admit I love the more even, adult tone of Torna's VC and cast overall better.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic