Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Posts 3,401 to 3,420 of 3,494

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario I don't know I have a ton of collectibles quests stacked up, all of them requiring food items and such (heck I'm still missing 2 ingredients for upgrading the merc guild to lv2. No direction on where I may find some of the usable ingredients.)

Waypoints in the game (the whole series) just kind of suck. It's only up on the radar with the up/down arrow and doesn't always provide adequate direction when terrain seems to block all routes from point A to point B. I end up doing a lot of trial and error, watching the radar the whole time. If you have the map area it's located in exposed it's on the map/fast travel, but otherwise you get a general "thataway" even if you can't find a way down from the cliff or up over the cliff to get to it. Games with a "bead" type nav marker don't just mark the compass for the end point but mark a kind of "next point of transition from current point" toward the trail or such to start on."

Not game breaking but annoying pet peeves.

NEStalgia

Tsurii

@NEStalgia X did it well, actually. That ball guide thingy was hella useful, don't know why they got rid of it especially because the excuse "because magic" is much more convincing than the floating ball of light being a gadget in the pure science fiction setting.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

NEStalgia

@Tsurii Oh yeah I forgot a bout that. So it's 1 & 2 with the bugged system.

NEStalgia

Trajan

I think the map/nav was quite good in 2. Told you where to go without just having it given to you.

Don't Forget Me!

NEStalgia

Ok, aeshmas core. I give up. 3 hours of throwing myself at it and it get nowhere. I'm 5 levels above it, i get him to 15 percent health or so and he wipes my team every time. I have no idea what to do with it. It's the second round with it. Every time it's around 15% that i just can't heal and revive faster than he damages.

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia That boss is more of a wake-up call in that you need to learn how Chain Attacks work. Once you complete two different Blade Combos, activate the Chain Attack and you'll power through over half of the boss's HP if you break both orbs.

If you're brute-forcing it without Chain Attacks, it's not going to go over so well.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Reduce the core's HP to just above the point where it starts wrecking your team (50 or 40% HP left, I think) while also slapping it with various element orbs. Then chain attack it, burst the orbs, and you'll tear through its most dangerous phase in a few moments.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

NinjaAceTrainer

@NEStalgia Though this is completely unlike the other advice, I beat it by focusing Nia and Mòrag on the weapon, and Rex on the core. This was so Mòrag could take the aggro and Nia could build her healing arts up. It doesn't really matter which Nia attacks, so long as she builds arts to help Mòrag out. With Rex on the core, he can deal a lot of damage without the risk of gaining aggro and dying. It's been a while, but that's what I did in a nutshell.

Just your everday ninja, who may also be an ace trainer. Link to the NL Inklings here!
https://discord.gg/6bsgt3t

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario @Ralizah Wake up call, my bum-bum. The thing's an obscene difficulty spike of the worst kind (not that that's unusual for XC overall) with a grotesque AoE attack.

I was trying to fight it normally for a while. I didn't understand about bursting orbs etc at all (the tutorial explained it badly), and I can't get orbs on it reliably (does it ever actually show you anywhere what orbs are accrued? Hard to tell when to do the burst and what to prepare for. I still don't fully understand it, but even before posting here I'd read that on some walkthroughs, started bursting 2 orbs....and still got wiped 40 seconds later with him at 10-15% health, and thanks to the combo, no revives (I hate using combos due to it erasing your revives....)

Finally I remembered you can just change the difficulty on the fly so I cheesed it for that horrible thing on Easy. If the game keeps doing that, it's going to get frustrating fast.

@NinjaAceTrainer I think that's the first battle, this is the second when there's only the weapon. The one in between the two was annoying too because the enemy kept running around and making me chase, meaning I charged no arts, and then kept spinning my whole party in the air. But that was merely annoying rather than obscene like this one.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia You should be able to tell on the combo paths which elemental orbs you've slapped on it based on what abilities you've sealed. Or just look at the color of the orbs orbiting around it.

Anyway, worry not! I can't speak to anything in New Game+, but that stupid core was easily the worst boss fight in the game.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Once you place an orb, they revolve around the enemy as a visual indicator. Or you can just immediately Chain Attack after placing an orb with a strong enough party and just repeat it multiple times, though your overall damage won't be as good.

In your Chain Attack, attack the orb with the opposite element. So if you got a Fire orb on, use Water Blades in that round to guarantee destroying it.

If two orbs aren't enough, get a third one off before your Chain Attack.

On that note though, I honestly don't remember any bosses that are extremely annoying to kill in any of the series, except for the superbosses. Only in Xenoblade X with the boss in Chapter 9 gave me a lot of trouble, but 1 and 2 are just really easy in general with no problematic bosses.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah I felt Chapter 7 had more annoying bosses.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Ralizah That would be great if that was the worst. The middle of the 3 bosses was annoying, frustrating, infuriating, but I still took him out in a few tries. That freaking core was obnoxious beyond imagining. Glad I cheesed it! Video games shouldn't require that much stress

@EvilLucario Oh, somehow I haven't actually seen them revolving yet! I did get the "opposite element" part, but one annoying thing was, not knowing what orbs I had on it, I had a dark orb on it, but not knowing that, I entered chain with my fire rather than my light blade in tow. Luckily I still broke it since I also had a fire orb to hit with Dromarch and it continued it to damage through attrition, but it was frustrating. When do orbs magically go away? Because I keep hitting combos, but then when I go to chain only one or two orbs remain on it. I've yet to have 3 no matter how many combos I do.

In XC1 there were numerous difficulty spike bosses. The problem was the way the game funneled you you didn't level up without going back and grinding. So it would be easy, easy ,easy , impenetrable wall. Go grind for an hour, then easy. XC2 has much better pacing, but this boss was an unexpected spike.

@Grumblevolcano ruh roh.

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia You can have up to 8 orbs, but you can't stack the same type of orb. You can't have two Fire orbs, for example. So you can have a Dark, Light, Fire, Water, Wind, Ice, Earth, and Electric orb all on one enemy.

They never go away as well. They're permanent. They only go away when you break them in a Chain Attack.

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario Hmm maybe that explains it, I have more water and wind blades than I know what to do with. Every freaking core I bond with ends up that way, even if I try to influence it And of course I tend to rely on my Pyra mostly as she's the most upgraded, and the second "story" blade is still weak until the merc guild is more leveled. I have no electric except for the first primary story party member with electric you get. No ice (at all).

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Well you can already pull off a lot of combos. Using Rex, Nia, and Tora, you have Mythra, Pyra, Roc, Dromarch, and Poppi α/QT, and you can already do Light, Water, Fire, Earth, and Wind combos right off the bat with no RNG needed.

Light: Light -> Light -> Light
Water: Light -> Light -> Water (easiest one) OR Water -> Water -> Water
Fire: Fire -> Fire -> Fire
Earth: Earth -> Fire -> Earth
Wind: Earth -> Fire -> Wind

Also you should have a Beastly Core Crystal. Open that on Rex for an ATK Earth Blade (Wulfric), he's extremely good.

Tsurii

@NEStalgia about the Boss (and just because I'm a stickler like that), the stuff that kills you in seconds isn't an AoE attack actually. Unless the robot kills you, of course.

The core has a passive ability that's called spikes in Xenoblade. When the thing gets below 50% health you'll notice purple damage numbers on your party. That's what makes the fight to difficult for first-timers/people who don't know or forgot spike damage is a thing.
I felt the best way to approach that fight was getting the core down to half HP/until you start seeing those purple numbers and then wail on the robot until you fill your party gauge. Chain attack on the core and if it's not dead yet, keep attacking the bot for another full party gauge + chain attack.

It takes a tad longer than making use of the orbs but it's probably the "safest" approach.

(and now that I'm writing this it's probably been hours since you beat it )

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

NEStalgia

@Tsurii Ahh, spikes. I didn't know that was a thing and didn't know that's what was happening. I like your solution, but I would think there's not enough damage dealt without the orbs to not have to do the chain multiple times....in the meantime the spikes, maybe, the rockets fired, and the AoE attack (that ground spread lightening attack in a radius from it) easily killed me off.

@EvilLucario I do already have Wulfric (I love Xenoblade, but it does have some serious gaps...that's another thing where they gave you this crystal, never told you what to do with it, and when I First looked, you couldn't use it, then it apparently became usable without telling me, and I had no idea how to get into the abandoned factory earlier until finding out that using that crystal was basically essential. Xenoblade often reminds me of NES games where you needed to subscribe to Nintendo Power and ask at the playground hoping sombody's uncle worked for Nintendo for necessary, undocumented information to make it through a game )

NEStalgia

NinjaAceTrainer

@NEStalgia I hate to say it, but Chapter 7's first story boss is easily the hardest. I only remember the orb phase being hard, so I assumed that was what threw you off. I honestly don't remember much about that phase, so good luck I suppose.

Just your everday ninja, who may also be an ace trainer. Link to the NL Inklings here!
https://discord.gg/6bsgt3t

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic