Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Posts 3,141 to 3,160 of 3,601

Trajan

@Hallonblad Ive been playing with Fiora lately. Hard decision between Moon Matter and Tach, I went with Tach. With all of her multipliers and a crit up V, and a optical headband on rex, she seems to be the strongest blade in the game.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

"If we did this (mobile games), Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo." - Iwata

Quarth

@FaeKnight Personally this only happened to me once or twice during my playthrough. One thing you could do is trying to lure your target away from it’s spot, thus avoiding the larger enemy’s territory.

I think it’s cool to have these higher level monsters around early, it’s giving me motivation to level up and upgrade my weapons, items, etc, so that I later can go back and defeat those enemies.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Hallonblad

@Trajan I'm glad she works out for you. I think I put the Moon Matter on her for the higher crit rate, but the Tachyon gives additional crit dmg, so it's also a good choice. ^-^ Have fun annihilating everything in the game.

Switch friend code: SW-1684-7611-8315
Backlog: https://backloggery.com/Hallon
#supercasualgamer

NEStalgia

I still keep getting confused reading "Fiora" and assuming everyone is talking XC1....

NEStalgia

Heavyarms55

Having finished Torna the Golden County, I just want to say that that is DLC done right. What an awesome finale to an awesome expansion! I love this game to no end! Before Torna I already loved it enough to call it my favorite game on the Switch and my second favorite JRPG of all time. Torna changed the way I love, but only positively. The expansion does such a great job of building existing characters, expanding the lore and telling Jin's story. I absolutely loved it. And as a DLC, it is the single greatest experience I have had with expansion content to an existing game. Overall, my opinion of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 still stands at an absolute solid 10/10, with Torna being an effectively an extra slice of your favorite pizza.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

roadrunner343

@Heavyarms55 I want to love this game so bad. I played it for 15 hours or so, split up among multiple play sessions, and I just can't get into it for some reason. It absolutely feels like a game that I should love to no end, but I just can't get it to click for me.

roadrunner343

Heavyarms55

@roadrunner343 I don't know what I can really tell you. I adore it, I love the story, the characters, the gameplay, almost everything about it. All I can suggest is taking a break for a while and coming back and giving it another chance. The game does start out somewhat slow as it works you up through all the myriad systems that make up the combat. So if it feels like there isn't a lot you can do at first, that is because if they dumped it all on the player in the first hour or too it'd be overwhelming. Thing is, at 15 hours, depending on how you play, you could still be on Chapter 1 or 2 with a lot of things left to unlock. One thing this game isn't, is short. I dropped 36 hours just into the expansion.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

roadrunner343

@Heavyarms55 I really do need to give it a 4th shot. Hollow Knight was similar in that it took me a few tries to get into it, but once I did, I sunk 40+ hours into it. With Smash on the Horizon, pretty sure I won't be touching XC2 again until early next year.

I think the main issue I had with XC2 was the combat system. I know I am still early in the game, but the combat felt very MMO like - almost turn based. No that there is anything wrong with that inherently, it's just not was I was expecting. And my battles seemed to last for ages, just waiting to whittle down the enemy's health. Does the pace of combat ever really pick up?

roadrunner343

Grumblevolcano

@roadrunner343 Where did you get to? The thing about XC2 is the combat system grows as you progress through the story.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Hallonblad

@roadrunner343 I've heard many people having that very same complaint. It didn't feel that way to me though. Are you upgrading your Blades with new (stronger) core chips when possible? Are you steadily working on filling out their affinity charts? Are you making sure you are using aux cores and pouch items and what have you? If you don't do these things, your Blades won't get stronger and it will take forever to beat enemies of the same or close to your own level, and I would imagine that would be boring/frustrating/annoying.

Once you unlock that you can use two and eventually three Blades at the same time, it will get more fun/less waiting for Arts to charge during battle.

I will say this though; while I absolutely love this game, I can understand why it might not be for everybody.

Switch friend code: SW-1684-7611-8315
Backlog: https://backloggery.com/Hallon
#supercasualgamer

roadrunner343

@Hallonblad I feel like I was doing that, but maybe I didn't enough. I don't know. Money also seemed a bit difficult to come by, so I probably wasn't upgrading enough. I think I even dropped the difficulty (Something I never do!) just to see if it would speed things up, and some battles still felt unbearably slow. I'm not even actually complaining about the difficulty, just the time battle took. I will definitely give it another shot someday, hopefully the pace picks up a bit. While I understand that the game isn't for everyone, that's what bothers me so much - everything about this game seems custom tailored to be something I love, but I just haven't been able to get it to click.

roadrunner343

Enigminator

I had to get used to the XC series' combat system as well.

Enigminator

NEStalgia

@roadrunner343 So....you're not really feeling it?

What's not grabbing you about it. The world/characters/story? The gameplay systems? The obtuseness of some of the systems? Confusing/hard to play or too easy? What part are you up to?

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@roadrunner343 Combat is turn based....it's a JRPG It's more like an advanced ATB from FFXII/FFXIII, or even WoFF. It's designed to feel more real-time, but ultimately it's very much ATB style turn based JRPG combat with a unique real-time twist. It's not an action-RPG like Ys8.

As for combat taking a long time, there's two things to keep in mind. Combat keeps evolving until around when you get to the merc camp....you don't have all the systems yet. But more importantly combat isn't especially difficult as long as you're not underleveled, and/or bosses. But the way the game punishes/rewards is combat takes as long as your skill makes it take. Battles take a very very long time if you're letting auto attacks do the work and not effectively using combos and/or chains. Battles can be fast if you combo up. And once they unlock chains you can blast half a boss's health bar in one go if you line everything up right. In fact it becomes essential.

Ultimately, though, if battles are taking a long time: You're not using the combat systems at your disposal. You can wear enemies down by attrition just hacking at them, but it's not very fun Make sure you have diverse elementals for all your blade slots and....I love Tora...but...ditch Tora....a single Poppi kind of hampers the flow IMO, and I hate playing Tiger! Tiger!. (if you have no idea what I'm talking about, disregard and realize you really don't have most of the systems yet )

Keep in mind not all enemies in the field of Gormot etc are meant to be attacked yet.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@EvilLucario I'm in Chapter 3 of NG+, can you get enough extra Accessory slots for everyone or should I skip giving Vandham one because he dies at the end of the chapter.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

EvilLucario

Yeah combat in Xenoblade 2 (and X) have some VERY big gaps between slow and fast kills. Moreso than any other JRPG I've played.

@Grumblevolcano I've had enough since I first started NG+, but you can buy enough for everyone I'm pretty sure.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@EvilLucario After getting 4, the bard by the inn in Argentum doesn't have any left. Is there another bard which sells them?

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

BrainOfGrimlock

Would it be fair to say that out of Valkyria Chronicles, Nightwar, Ys & XC2, that this is the biggest time eater? I own the first three (XC2 the only one I don't) and whilst I enjoy an 'rpg-palate-cleanse' of RDR2/Diablo following my completion of Octopath, I'm already planning which to tackle next. Ordinarily I'd go with one I already own but strange circumstances (going to be off work babysitting my poorly cat) mean I'm going to have a lot more time than usual to play games (he says confidently) so thinking that if this is as big a time sink as I've seen mention that maybe now is the time to attack it? Realise not everyone will have played all of those but seems there are quite a few RPG fiends like me dwelling here so any pointers/help gratefully received!

BrainOfGrimlock

EvilLucario

@Grumblevolcano Hm Idk. It's been months.

@BrainOfGrimlock Let's put it this way: it took me 70 hours to beat Xenoblade 2 and I have 400 hours in it. Meanwhile it only took me 40-45 hours to 100% Ys VIII. I haven't played the other games yet, but I don't think any game can compete except for Dark Souls 1.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

BrainOfGrimlock

@EvilLucario F-f-four hundred....!?

Ok...

Wow...

Well I have my answer - thank you!

I guess now I know it's in that sort of territory I'll throw it to the recommendations thread then (between this or Disgea 5)!

BrainOfGrimlock

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic