Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Posts 2,581 to 2,600 of 3,981

Late

@AlternateButtons You might have already defeated the boss by now but here are couple of things that might help. Build up your party meter before the battle. I think it stays at least somewhat filled between battles. Remember that you can use a chain attack even if there are no orbs circling around the enemy. I tend to forget it and there have been couple of situations where I could have killed an enemy even without orbs if I remembered to use it but I didn't and ended up dying. Not the greatest tips but maybe they can provide some help.

I programmed a simple tool that copies all Switch screenshots from an SD card and places them to folders according to the game:
Link

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Zuljaras

I have not played Xenoblade Chronicles but I have watched many videos online and I will get the first one for the 3DS. But this new art style is "interesting", I am talking about the girl that is next to the main hero in the posters and I guess in the party in the game. Why is she like a hentai looking wh***?
I am pretty sure this is a new art direction from the other games right? At least I think so.

Zuljaras

GoldenGamer88

@Zuljaras Because it‘s a jrpg lol. You could dress the cast in XC1 in some pretty revealing clothes, too, and in XCX as well, I think, didn‘t play that game all that much. As far as art style goes, it‘s definitely the best out of all three titles in the series. It actually allows for actually emoting this time around.

Do not reveal this until beating the game! Talking about the art style, it‘s VERY obvious they imported Scientist Klaus‘s model out of the first game and just rez‘ed it up a bit. Those eyes, jeez. Makes me kinda glad they didn‘t show XC1‘s party fight Zanza, like I had hoped when I heard Shulk speak.

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

Zuljaras

@Inertiacreep the whole outfit. But I guess it is normal for jrpgs. I played Final Fantasy and other but this one stands out.

Zuljaras

GoldenGamer88

@Tsurii Looking back at them - makes perfect sense lol. Ugh.

AlternateButtons

@Late I actually just beat Chapter 6 lol. However your tip on Chain attacks definitely help. I have the opposite problem of you where I do the Chain Attack without any orbs most of the time. I'm still a BIT unsure as to how to even get orbs circling in the first place. I try to do Level 1,2 and 3 specials and I manage to do a lot of Blade combos however I rarely see any orbs circling the enemy. And then I have to break them? It just makes zero sense to me no matter how many times this thread seems to explain it to me. It's the only thing about combat I dont fully grasp.

Want an awesome Let's Play show to watch when you're bored? Check out my new show, Alternate Buttons where we play games for your viewing pleasure! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG0IbzMJDa9hZJFTGOB8Vug/feed

3DS Friend Code: 4983-5439-2641 | Nintendo Network ID: Guitardude7

GoldenGamer88

@Tsurii Huh, that‘s actually really interesting and pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

edhe

@AlternateButtons

In order to get orbs circling the enemy, you need to complete a full chain. In order for you to advance the chain (of which there are three steps), you need to perform a special attack that is equal or greater than the step you are on. If you begin with Pyra, with a level I or greater special, you are then at step two, whereby you or a teammate need to follow up with a level 2 or greater special. Then, for the final step you or a teammate need to perform a level 3 or greater special.
The attack will bestow a debuff on the enemy (such as preventing it from calling reinforcements), but it will also create an orb that spins around the enemy. The enemy will also be more resistant against the particular element.
You cannot create more than one orb of any particular element, but you can try a different combo that ends in a different element to add another orb. In practice, there is no way to see what orbs are orbiting an enemy without physically scanning yourself or initiating the chain attack.

At that point, with several orbs orbiting, you can start a chain attack. One by one you and your teammates will attack, first with level 1 specials. You can pick which blade to engage, and in some cases, providing their element is a direct counter:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

• Water blade targets Fire orb
  • Fire blade targets Water orb
  • Electric blade targets Earth orb
  • Earth blade targets Electric orb

(edheditors note - up until now, I've always believed that earth counters wind and vise-versa)

Grumblevolcano wrote:

• Light blade targets Dark orb
  • Dark blade targets Light orb
  • Ice blade targets Wind orb
  • Wind blade targets Ice orb

... you can break the orbs to advance to a second round of uninterrupted attacks, where you can choose a level 2 special attack with an increased, natural bonus.
If you fail to break any single orb, it'll be there for when you next attempt a chain attack, but for any that you do break, the element penalty is annulled and the corresponding debuff disappears.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Late

@AlternateButtons Well, I can try to explain it to you. Here's an image to help too.
Untitled
Let's say you have this kind of setup: Rex-Pyra, Nia-Dromarch, Mòrag-Godfrey. Basically, in this case, your blades have fire, water and ice elements. Your goal is to use those elements in the same order as the picture shows. You start from the leftmost icon and go towards right. One of the routes is fire-water-ice.

You start by using your special with Pyra (A button when you're controlling Rex), this leads you to the same situation as in the screenshot. You see the bar with word Heat and the possible routes next to it. Now you have to use the next special before the bar that says Heat, depletes. In this case, we have two choices: we can continue with another fire attack or use a water attack instead. Since we just used Pyra, her special won't be ready for a while so we decide to use Dromarch instead. Once his special is ready, you'll see the button command ZL pop up. You press that button and Dromarch uses his special. Now we have two choices again: fire or ice. Godfrey appears to be ready to use his special so you press ZR and it will take you to a quick-time event. You've now done a successful blade combo and an elemental orb starts circling around your opponent. Since the finishing move was ice type move, the orb is ice as well.

There's one more thing you need to keep in mind. The next special has to be at least one level higher than the last one or a level 3 if the last one was already a level 3 special. So, in this case, we use Pyra's special as soon as it's ready (shows the number 1 in the UI). We follow by using Dromarch's level 2 special and finish with Godfrey's level 3. You can also see how far each character's special is once you've started a combo and they have a blade with correct element in use. Once you see the character icon pop up on either side of the screen, their icon is circled by white circles. The amount of circles depicts their current special level.

I hope this helps. It's kind of hard to explain all of this in a way that is easily digestible but once you get it, it's actually really easy.

Edited on by Late

I programmed a simple tool that copies all Switch screenshots from an SD card and places them to folders according to the game:
Link

AlternateButtons

@Late @edhe I THINK I get it now. So short version: Use blade combos. Stack Level 1 specials with Level 2 and then 3. That builds up the combo which creates the elemental orb.

And then you break the elemental orb with a chain attack? Do I have to have multiple orbs circling to break it successfully? And when I do the chain attack, how DO I break the orb? With a corresponding element? Or an opposite element?

Want an awesome Let's Play show to watch when you're bored? Check out my new show, Alternate Buttons where we play games for your viewing pleasure! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG0IbzMJDa9hZJFTGOB8Vug/feed

Late

@AlternateButtons Yes. That's pretty much it. You will notice what works and what doesn't once you try it out couple of times.

The amount of orbs dictates how long your combo can be. Each orb gives you additional 3 attacks as long as you're able to break them. I think each orb has 3 HP (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Normally it takes 1 damage but opposite element does double damage. So, you hit a fire orb with water and so on. You may want to start with just one orb to see how it works and then try to break multiple orbs after couple of practice rounds.

Link

AlternateButtons

@Late 3 HP? That sounds pathetically low. Wouldn't basically any attack do the trick in that case?

Tsurii

@AlternateButtons I wouldn't call it HP tbh. Each orb requires three hits.
Let's say your enemy has a water orb circling around it. If you hit with a fire attack, it'll take 2 hits, because that is its opposite element. Water would do 1 hit. Every other element would do 1 hit as well.

Your attacks are going to target their opposite elements first. If there's no orb of the opposite element of a blade, it will target an orb that has the same element. The third tier for that priority list would be any attack during a chain attack targeting a random orb, or the orb with the lowest remaining hits, if there's no orbs of the same or the opposite element of your chosen blade.

I hope I didn't explain it too complicated lel
The corresponding elements are the two for each of those idea/thought cloud levels you see when you resonate with a core crystal.

Fire - Water
Earth - Thunder
Ice - Wind
Light - Dark

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

edhe

AlternateButtons wrote:

@Late 3 HP? That sounds pathetically low. Wouldn't basically any attack do the trick in that case?

Think of it as 3 hits. The orbs don't have hitpoints, so to speak. A corresponding element does two hits, while every other does one hit. It gets a bit complicated when you have multiple orbs though, because you can't actually choose what orb to target - the orb you target is determined by the elements of your available, engaged blades. Again, any particular orb will retain its damage if you finish a party combo without breaking it.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Late

@AlternateButtons Well, HP probably wasn't the best term to use. I won't go into more detail as others have already done that but as they said, it's easy to break one orb but it becomes more difficult when there are multiple. You only need the maximum of 3 attacks to break one but you can't always hit the orb you'd like to hit.

Link

AlternateButtons

@Tsurii @edhe @Late Ok ok. I think I understand now. Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate it! You guys rock.

MFD

I don't know if anyone else has had errors with their XC2 game, but if you did, I've got a response from Nintendo about it "Regarding the game itself and the errors you are getting, if you possess the physical retail copy of the game, and keep experiencing crashes quite frequently, then in that case you can send the game over for repair, so we can assess it for free and repair it accordingly."

"However if this was an eShop purchase, there likely there is a problem with the micro SDcard or with the game installation. If this is the case, we can advise you to delete the game and redownload it from the eShop again (please do not delete the game save data, just the software)."

MFD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic