Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Posts 2,521 to 2,540 of 3,602

EvilLucario

@RandomLeo00 Oh, that bug is nothing new. It's one of the most hilarious bugs and while I never personally experienced it during my playthroughs, every once and a while the Xenoblade subreddit would have someone post that and it's ****ing hilarious.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

FX102A

@Ralizah Well third time was the charm but I just avoided using that attack.

And so this adventure comes to a close.

Until the story dlc that is!

FX102A

Agriculture

Tsurii wrote:

@Agriculture you have to "mark" them with R first. The enemy's name should pop up up top and then you can hit a to initiate a battle.

Don't get this wrong, not trying to talk you down or anything, but try to read all the little pop-ups the game throws at you whenever something new is introduced, it helps a lot imo. Beyond that it's mostly experimenting with different things, if you end up having trouble with the battles themselves later on

I figured it out. You have to release R before pressing A, that was the mistake I made. So, you hold down R, then click on A to cycle through what enemy you want to target, then you release R, and then press A. Just terrible game design.

And yes, I see what Phil Fish meant when he talked about Japanese games. This game just throws a wall of text at you.

Agriculture

EvilLucario

@Agriculture Terrible design? Give me a break. Then again, you're the same person that literally went "we should remove buttons from controllers going forward" lol. https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/they_shoul...

And if you're not going to read controls and how things work, that's really on you and you have no right to complain. You hold down R and press Y or A to cycle through enemies mid-combat and it remains consistent throughout either mid-combat or out of combat.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Krull

@Agriculture Actually, it's a little bit better than you make out. You hold down R, but then you can actually cycle between enemies using Y and A (not just A), moving the cursor left or right, which can be pretty useful. And then, yes, you have to let go of R and draw your weapon to initiate combat.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Agriculture

Krull wrote:

@Agriculture Actually, it's a little bit better than you make out. You hold down R, but then you can actually cycle between enemies using Y and A (not just A), moving the cursor left or right, which can be pretty useful. And then, yes, you have to let go of R and draw your weapon to initiate combat.

Yes, I know, I was just simplifying to not cause confusion. Regardless, it's not good game design.

Agriculture

Agriculture

EvilLucario wrote:

@Agriculture Terrible design? Give me a break. Then again, you're the same person that literally went "we should remove buttons from controllers going forward" lol. https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/they_shoul...

And if you're not going to read controls and how things work, that's really on you and you have no right to complain. You hold down R and press Y or A to cycle through enemies mid-combat and it remains consistent throughout either mid-combat or out of combat.

The market has already made it's choice against such games, and they are clearly less popular than simpler games. Every now and then, there is an attempt to make overly complicated jrpgs become mainstream in the west, and it always fails. They should just simplify the games and more people will buy them.

Agriculture

EvilLucario

@Agriculture You're also assuming that every game should be made for the mainstream, which is just dumb. Not every game should be made for everyone, and with that comes appropriate budgeting and expectations. It's the reason why a lot of "AAA" games need millions to even begin recouping costs while other games like Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice only needed 500k copies to break even as a $30 AA title.

Ralizah

@Agriculture All a game needs to be a success is to make a profit and satisfy its audience. Xenoblade 2 is popular within the niche demographic it's targeting, and it's the best selling Xeno game to date. It doesn't need to make blockbuster money.

Also, we don't all like Western games designed for the lowest common denominator.

And, no, the game design isn't terrible just because you refuse to read tutorials. If you want to be babied, play something else.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Agriculture

EvilLucario wrote:

@Agriculture You're also assuming that every game should be made for the mainstream, which is just dumb. Not every game should be made for everyone, and with that comes appropriate budgeting and expectations. It's the reason why a lot of "AAA" games need millions to even begin recouping costs while other games like Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice only needed 500k copies to break even as a $30 AA title.

The Switch could have used a mainstream success instead of a complex jrpg right now.

Agriculture

Krull

@Agriculture But the Switch has plenty of mainstream successes - why is it not also allowed complex JRPGs? I guess you simply don't like the game, or perhaps the genre, but a very large niche of people do. Or should Nintendo make only games that are to your personal taste?

I don't like driving games, but I'm not going to go on a popular driving game thread and complain that they shouldn't have bothered with it and should have made another "complex" JRPG instead.

Have I satisfactorily risen to your bait? 😋

Edited on by Krull

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Agriculture

Krull wrote:

@Agriculture But the Switch has plenty of mainstream successes - why is it not also allowed complex JRPGs? I guess you simply don't like the game, or perhaps the genre, but a very large niche of people do. Or should Nintendo make only games that are to your personal taste?

I don't like driving games, but I'm not going to go on a popular driving game thread and complain that they shouldn't have bothered with it and should have made another "complex" JRPG instead.

Have I satisfactorily risen to your bait? 😋

The Switch had Breath of the Wild as it's action adventure mainstream success, but it was a long time ago. They should have simplified Xenoblade Chronicles for the west. It's a decent game, but it's not good game design to have so many tutorials with walls of text.

Agriculture

bluemage1989

About 50 hours in and coming to the end of chapter 4 so here are some of my feelings.

Main quests are good with a story that seems to hit a good pace and tells a good tale with some nice moments so far. The heart to hearts build the characters really well. Some of the side quests are good but I have lost interest in the fetch quests if it randomly tells me I have gathered enough of something to finish one I hand it in but looking for items is just a boring process.

The game does a pretty good job of explaining itself. As a fairly regular player of JRPGs I've found it fine but I can see why genre novices would struggle it does worry me that being the flagship JRPG of the Switch it will put genre novices off of the genre and that a lack of mainstream success could impact on budget for a sequel and other big JRPGs. The battles do often out stay there welcome sometimes I dread entering areas where I know I will just have to grind through enemies whilst not being challenged in the slightest.

Graphically the game looks good enough it does the job without doing to much to really excite. The design of the cities is great feeling like living places and some of the titans have been great to explore the actual character and enemy design cannot be faulted it's top notch and I look forward to seeing what else is in store going forward.

The soundtrack is great with some awesome themes in the mix. The use of regional accents is great really surprised how they have been used I had heard a lot of complaints but it's nice hearing the kind of accents that don't usually make it into western games. My only complaint is some of the battle chatter gets a bit samey after a while but in a game of this length that was going to be inevitable.

Tiger Tiger is just awful.

bluemage1989

bluemage1989

Ralizah wrote:

@Agriculture All a game needs to be a success is to make a profit and satisfy its audience. Xenoblade 2 is popular within the niche demographic it's targeting, and it's the best selling Xeno game to date. It doesn't need to make blockbuster money.

I think it's a bit simplistic to say a game only needs to be profitable and popular with it's fanbase to be considered a success. This is the real world and this is a big company that exists to make money big money not some indie studio happy to get by.

bluemage1989

Agriculture

bluemage1989 wrote:

I think it's a bit simplistic to say a game only needs to be profitable and popular with it's fanbase to be considered a success. This is the real world and this is a big company that exists to make money big money not some indie studio happy to get by.

Yes, and not only for the game's profit itself. It's one of the Nintendo Switch's big exclusive games, therefor it would be better if it was more friendly towards the general consumer. If an average person buy a Switch, they'll get games like Mario Kart and Breath of the Wild, but then they want more games, and if they decide to get Xenoblade Chronicles 2, they might get put off by it since it's too complex.

Agriculture

Ralizah

@bluemage1989 Not every game is going to make big money. Nintendo doesn't expect Xenoblade to make big money. They likely acquired Monolith Soft to diversify their level of output and bring in people who wouldn't necessarily be excited for the Mario/Zelda/Pokemon games that do sell tens of millions of copies.

Taking beloved small developers who make rich gameplay experiences and then forcing them to streamline and homogenize their game design to appeal to the masses is what companies like EA do. It's horrible. Not everything has to be focus group-approved and sell 10 million copies. I'm frankly thankful that Nintendo and Sony seem intent on bringing a diverse array of software to their systems.

Edited on by Ralizah

EvilLucario

@Agriculture And why is that a bad thing? I repeat: not every game should be designed to appeal to the mainstream. They already have their big blockbusters that sell the system, then they supplement those games with other core games that compels people to stick around. Maybe Mario and Zelda don't sell systems on their own. But a combination of Splatoon, Fire Emblem, and Metroid along with everything else would eventually. Xenoblade 2 is a big exclusive game for the Switch because it's a fantastic game that can sell Switches along with other games, not because it appeals to the masses.

Developers should not be forced to streamline their games to appeal to a broader audience. Similarly, developers should not be forced to cater to niches to appeal to the diehards only if they want a game to primarily be accessable. Different games go for different goals, so asking the developers to stray from their goals is bullocks.

bluemage1989

@Ralizah not every game is going to make big money but frankly if anyone running a conpany is not trying to maximise how much is being made they shouldn't be working at these companies. Ultimately these companies are not our friends there not making these games to please us there doing so to make money and after trying to return to the original formula as opposed to X's didn't really ignite sales I can see them going for something more mainstream in appeal. Being mainstream shouldn't be seen as a bad thing appealing to lots of people is a sign of success and it doesn't mean having to lose what makes a game great or unique plenty of games sell millions of copies without selling out (as an example Animal Crossing) and I can't see why anyone would want to see a game not succeed as much as possible. As for Xenoblade its not very complex but having some decent tutorials hurts no one and if it helps get more people into the series all the better.

bluemage1989

Ralizah

@bluemage1989 I think you're confused. Nobody is saying the game shouldn't have decent tutorials. Plenty of people, myself included, have criticized how little the game tells you about some of its systems (it's an on-going issue with the Xenoblade games, although, in fairness, this game is WAY better about explaining itself than the often mystifying Xenoblade Chronicles X). We're saying that the core game design should not be simplified to chase after mass market appeal when it's already making plenty of money off the people Nintendo knows are interested in it. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the best-selling Xeno game to date. Does that means it's selling tens of millions of copies like Zelda or Mario? No. And it doesn't need to. That's not the market for it. It's succeeding within the niche that it's designed to appeal to.

There's nothing wrong with a game designed to be mainstream appealing to the mainstream. There is also nothing wrong with a game designed to be niche mostly appealing to that niche. The world of gaming would be much poorer if only experiences catering to normies were out there.

If the game is selling well for what it is, and fans are happy with it, then, yes, it's a success by any reasonable standard of the word.

Edited on by Ralizah

Agriculture

EvilLucario wrote:

They already have their big blockbusters that sell the system, then they supplement those games with other core games that compels people to stick around. Maybe Mario and Zelda don't sell systems on their own. But a combination of Splatoon, Fire Emblem, and Metroid along with everything else would eventually.

While other plattforms have their own problems (microtransactions, and a standardization of major releases) the bar has been raised quite significantly, with large releases like Far Cry 5 and Assassin's Creed Origins coming every year.

I get that this is a Nintendo fan forum, but you have to be able to be critical of business decisions Nintendo makes. Sony did the something similar with the PS Vita, and it failed both in Europe and North America. What I mean is that the Vita got lots of complex JRPGs, which made some westerners very happy, but it wasn't enough to carry the console.

I'm enjoying the game, but I do see a lot of flaws with it that could have been corrected if it had been developed for a more western audience. Lots of the flaws with the game are cardinal sins if you're asking western game developers. Things like the previously mentioned wall of text tutorials, the large number of systems of attack, the quick time events.

All I'm saying is that it's a shame they went this route with this game, since it will scare away lots of consumers in the west.

Agriculture

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic