Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Posts 1,661 to 1,680 of 3,192

Buizel

@JaxonH Thanks for that, it was something I was myself unsure about.

Although, it seems like Lv 4 doesn't count, which can be frustrating.

Currently playing: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch), Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - Hacker's Memory (PS Vita), Dragon Age Inquisition (PC), Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS), Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii), Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy (PS4).

kyleforrester87

@CroRock Usually can't teleport to certain areas because the cloud tide is too high/low. Long rest at the inn and see if the area opens up.

kyleforrester87

JTMnM

I'm with Knighty_IX and others in expressing my disdain toward a system that implements basic gameplay information as some kind of purchasable luxury. All tutorials should be readily available. While the initial tutorials certainly helped establish an understanding of the basics, referring back to them after experimentation would've been a highly beneficial practice. Trial and error is how I figured most of the mechanics out, though it definitely wasn't my ideal method. I've fortunately become pretty fluent in the combat mechanics and am now pushing 5,000,000 in total damage from chain attacks. I'm sure this isn't that much to the more seasoned players, but it is for me.

The lack of access to the tutorials has certainly prompted the current discourse. A quick glance at the recent posts is telling enough that people are still struggling to master the combat system. Even still, I haven't seen anyone talk about full breaks. When you activate 3/4+ seals (I'm still trying to figure it out.) and smash them before the 3rd round in a chain attack, all party members will engage in a devastating level 4 combo simultaneously. I don't recall anything in the game so far go over this, and I've beaten the game! Tutorials being arguably hidden is easily my biggest gripe with the game. Maybe it's too optimistic to hope that a patch will correct this in the future.

Edited on by JTMnM

JTMnM

Switch Friend Code: SW-4706-4065-3902

kkslider5552000

That is baffling to me. Even as someone who hasn't played it, I can't think of a single good reason why you wouldn't be able to look up tutorials in-game. THE ORIGINAL XENOBLADE HAD IT, WHY NOT HERE? I can't imagine there's a good reason.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

Arminillo

JTMnM wrote:

I'm with Knighty_IX and others in expressing my disdain toward a system that implements basic gameplay information as some kind of purchasable luxury. All tutorials should be readily available. While the initial tutorials certainly helped establish an understanding of the basics, referring back to them after experimentation would've been a highly beneficial practice. Trial and error is how I figured most of the mechanics out, though it definitely wasn't my ideal method. I've fortunately become pretty fluent in the combat mechanics and am now pushing 5,000,000 in total damage from chain attacks. I'm sure this isn't that much to the more seasoned players, but it is for me.

The lack of access to the tutorials has certainly prompted the current discourse. A quick glance at the recent posts is telling enough that people are still struggling to master the combat system. Even still, I haven't seen anyone talk about full breaks. When you activate 4 seals and smash them before the 3rd round in a chain attack, all party members will engage in a devastating level 4 combo simultaneously. I don't recall anything in the game so far go over this, and I've beaten the game! Tutorials being arguably hidden is easily my biggest gripe with the game. Maybe it's too optimistic to hope that a patch will correct this in the future.

dont forget that there is not manual or official guide

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

JTMnM

@Arminillo Another frustrating issue. The thought of buying a strategy guide actually crossed my mind, but I was unable to find one.

I just learned you can line up every element seal (leaving a total of 8) before initiating a chain attack. This likely leads to max (9,999,999) damage. I've gone through countless core crystals, and I haven't gotten one dark rare Blade. :/ I want Azami.

Edited on by JTMnM

JTMnM

kyleforrester87

Come on, the game isn't that difficult
to get your head round. Yes some of the systems are obtuse, but with some effort it's all easy enough to understand. Plenty of info exists online if you need it, and honestly I've had great enjoyment piecing everything together with some help from people on here.

Just get out there and throw some sh*t at the wall, see what sticks.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

JTMnM

I don't know why I just noticed this, but the gauge in the top-left corner represents what I think is called the "Burst Gauge." Breaking (or "bursting") elemental seals fill the gauge, and when full, you engage in "Full Burst." According to what I see, it takes 4 broken seals to activate it. I'm taking down superbosses now, and those I've used it on don't survive. It's a powerful tool to have in your arsenal.

JTMnM

Inertiacreep

@JTMnM what gauge? The only gauge in the top left corner i see is the party gauge.

Inertiacreep

Galenmereth

There's two gauges above the enemy health bar; one to the left (the break > topple > launch bar) and the right elemental combo gauge.

The left "break" bar is triggered by someone using a weapon skill that has "Break" effect. Once the Break effect is active, you can transition to the next stage using a weapon skill with the "Topple" effect, and from Topple you can transition to "Launch" and, finally, use a "Smash" effect to inflict major damage. This also adds a lot of energy to the party gauge.

Galenmereth

JTMnM

And the burst gauge takes the place of the party gauge during a chain attack. With every seal broken, a bit is added to the burst gauge. When full, all party members unleash Lvl 4 Specials simultaneously. I can't figure out just how the increments are calculated after each broken seal, but it usually takes me 4 or 5 to start the "Full Burst." The most seals I managed to rack up before starting a chain attack so far is 6. That led to my chain attack doing around 7,000,000 damage. Once I get a dark Blade, it'll be easier to add the remaining 2 and getting max damage (9,999,999).

JTMnM

erv

This game has the best gameplay of all the xenoblade games so far. In my opinion of course

And the blade dynamic is very original too. I like the combat mechanics a great deal, I can actually get the hang of them now. I'm also in the camp where the menu and systems make more sense to be honest - far easier for me to understand what I'm doing and what's going on while I play the game. All with a lot better action to boot.

I really like the characters too. And all the tongue in cheek humour in it is awesome. I'm firmly in the "more sex stuff in games" camp so bring more skimpiness. But not tora. No way .

Bottom line, this is a masterpiece so far. I haven't finished it because I'm only a couple of chapters in, yet I've seen a lot of moments that make me go "oh this is so going to xenoblade the story threefold later" - if you know what I mean.

Great game, really enjoying it. Highly recommended to pick it up. It's big, fun, beautiful, comic, legendary, original, and plays really great.

The anatomically awesome evello is bringing the fame and glory!

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Galenmereth

I couldn't agree more @erv. The Blade system adds an additional level of experimentation and configurability to combat that makes it in a way reminiscent of Pokémon in that there's so much choice in how you approach winning the fights. And the way you unlock their passive abilities is so rewarding; it could've easily been a simple "point" system where all you did was beat enemies, get points and pump them into a passive tree, but instead it requires varied activites and often interwoven with sidequests that have really nice stories to them.

It is absolutely a masterpiece.

Galenmereth

Tsurii

kyleforrester87 wrote:

Come on, the game isn't that difficult
to get your head round. Yes some of the systems are obtuse, but with some effort it's all easy enough to understand. Plenty of info exists online if you need it, and honestly I've had great enjoyment piecing everything together with some help from people on here.

Just get out there and throw some sh*t at the wall, see what sticks.

Yah, it's actually really straightforward, if you're reading the tutorials AND are willing to experiment a little

Now, I've played and 100%ed both of the other games so I naturally feel more "at home" with the combat than someone who's never played Xenoblade, but the things I didn't know because they're new or changed all came to me pretty naturally. Stuff like how blade combos work, that you can chain auto attacks and arts (and later even multiple arts and arts + blade combos) or how the chain attacks work this time is all just trial and error.

Try something out, see what sticks. Just as @kyleforrester87 said. And the blade combos in particular basically live from experimenting how to time prompts for the different levels and how you can get as fast as possible to higher levels if you want/have to initiate two levels yourself.

And, I'm not 100% sure, and it's honestly not that much, but you can actually buy info in teensy tiny pieces. It's kinda stupid if that's their replacement for a tutorial you can view at any point but it's there, if you really need it. I guess.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

kyleforrester87

I don't have any blades with a launch art skill yet which is a bit of a bummer. I can break and topple but never seen a launch!

Edit: I probably have some common blades with launch arts but is anyone actually using those for anything but merc missions?

kyleforrester87

Galenmereth

@kyleforrester87 Not anymore, but I have used common Blades throughout the main story at times.

I currently rely on a unique Blade that my other ATK character uses for the Launch effect; they're pretty consistent when I set up a Topple for them. I'll see them swap to the right Blade to perform it if possible. Also gave them an accessory that decreases cooldown for Blade switching to help with that I only have one Blade with Smash, however, and I have that one equipped myself. It's a dual scythes type weapon Blade.

Galenmereth

CroRock

@kyleforrester87
Pretty much what you said. They are worth for field skills also but that’s about it. I got lucky enough to get 4 rare blades through lottery system so now I have all abilities from break, topple, launch to smash 💪👊
I’ll wait more rares for more battle variety rather then play with those ugly, boring commons.

3DS - 2294 - 4578 - 7970
SW - 3371 - 1931 - 2042

kyleforrester87

@Galenmereth @CroRock Cool, thanks. I have 40 common cores I might burn through to try and get another rare (or two?!)

The AI does seem pretty consistent when it comes to switching to the blade to extend combos etc.

What do we think of the inability to switch blades between characters, without using a rare item at least? It's one area that seems a bit too restrictive perhaps?

kyleforrester87

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic