Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Posts 1,661 to 1,680 of 3,889

Tsurii

kyleforrester87 wrote:

Come on, the game isn't that difficult
to get your head round. Yes some of the systems are obtuse, but with some effort it's all easy enough to understand. Plenty of info exists online if you need it, and honestly I've had great enjoyment piecing everything together with some help from people on here.

Just get out there and throw some sh*t at the wall, see what sticks.

Yah, it's actually really straightforward, if you're reading the tutorials AND are willing to experiment a little

Now, I've played and 100%ed both of the other games so I naturally feel more "at home" with the combat than someone who's never played Xenoblade, but the things I didn't know because they're new or changed all came to me pretty naturally. Stuff like how blade combos work, that you can chain auto attacks and arts (and later even multiple arts and arts + blade combos) or how the chain attacks work this time is all just trial and error.

Try something out, see what sticks. Just as @kyleforrester87 said. And the blade combos in particular basically live from experimenting how to time prompts for the different levels and how you can get as fast as possible to higher levels if you want/have to initiate two levels yourself.

And, I'm not 100% sure, and it's honestly not that much, but you can actually buy info in teensy tiny pieces. It's kinda stupid if that's their replacement for a tutorial you can view at any point but it's there, if you really need it. I guess.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

kyleforrester87

I don't have any blades with a launch art skill yet which is a bit of a bummer. I can break and topple but never seen a launch!

Edit: I probably have some common blades with launch arts but is anyone actually using those for anything but merc missions?

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

Galenmereth

@kyleforrester87 Not anymore, but I have used common Blades throughout the main story at times.

I currently rely on a unique Blade that my other ATK character uses for the Launch effect; they're pretty consistent when I set up a Topple for them. I'll see them swap to the right Blade to perform it if possible. Also gave them an accessory that decreases cooldown for Blade switching to help with that I only have one Blade with Smash, however, and I have that one equipped myself. It's a dual scythes type weapon Blade.

Galenmereth

CroRock

@kyleforrester87
Pretty much what you said. They are worth for field skills also but that’s about it. I got lucky enough to get 4 rare blades through lottery system so now I have all abilities from break, topple, launch to smash 💪👊
I’ll wait more rares for more battle variety rather then play with those ugly, boring commons.

3DS - 2294 - 4578 - 7970
SW - 3371 - 1931 - 2042

kyleforrester87

@Galenmereth @CroRock Cool, thanks. I have 40 common cores I might burn through to try and get another rare (or two?!)

The AI does seem pretty consistent when it comes to switching to the blade to extend combos etc.

What do we think of the inability to switch blades between characters, without using a rare item at least? It's one area that seems a bit too restrictive perhaps?

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

CroRock

kyleforrester87 wrote:

What do we think of the inability to switch blades between characters, without using a rare item at least? It's one area that seems a bit too restrictive perhaps?

I think it’s BS.. only found 3 Overdrive Protocols so far and waisted first one on common. Someone said here you can get more when you complete Blades ability tree. Wouldn’t mind if they sell for like 50.000 golds from vendors just to have an option to buy them if I really need them.

Edited on by CroRock

3DS - 2294 - 4578 - 7970
SW - 3371 - 1931 - 2042

Tsurii

I can understand the transfer thing from a lore perspective but as a gameplay mechanic it's a little annoying. I have a party member who only has two unique blades, including the one they start with, and another one barely got 3, one of which I don't like on that particular character lol

And I think I only have a single blade with launch in general as well, which is kinda sad. Always have two or more with the other effects tho, and Smash or w/e is super satisfying when you get it off.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Galenmereth

@Tsurii @CroRock I won't spoil, but there's a twist to this restriction later in the game. Furthermore, when you max out a Blade's affinity chart, you get overdrive protocols. And who can say for sure whether it's possible or not to unlock a vendor for it; I know for a fact I have a lot left to find and do in the game, so there might yet be a possibility

Unrelated but remember that sending Blades on merc missions unlocks affinity on them; I actually at times even send unique Blades on missions even when it's not strictly required to unlock things on them

Galenmereth

CroRock

Galenmereth wrote:

Unrelated but remember that sending Blades on merc missions unlocks affinity on them; I actually at times even send unique Blades on missions even when it's not strictly required to unlock things on them

I have one big, fat, round, ugly rare Blade always leading my group of “useless” mercenaries 😁. Can’t stand his (or her lol) size and ugliness in walking around the world and specially in battles where I don’t see a s*it even if I max out the zoom.. also he/she/it is a healer and bound to Rex... speaking of Overdrive Protocols 😉

Edited on by CroRock

3DS - 2294 - 4578 - 7970
SW - 3371 - 1931 - 2042

EvilLucario

Also, if you release 4 star common Blades, you get an Overdrive Protocol.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Pahvi

@EvilLucario Really? I need to put that to test — I want to move a fair bit of rares from Rex to Nia and others, and I'm definitely not hurting for more common core crystals.

@Galenmereth I thought when you fill out an affinity chart you get those weapon noob keys instead of Overdrive protocols, but is that for rare blades only, or Blades with far more points to fill in the chart than the sub-20 I've been filling so far?

By the way, am I correct in thinking that by filling up the affinity chart the Drivers' ideas increase in level and will help in summoning better Blades, even if that's done by merc missions?

"The review score of 6 becomes a 9 when looked at another angle. And vice versa." -me?

Late

I've quite liked the randomness of blades. Just got 3rd for Rex and I Nia has 2 (not counting Pyra and Dromarch). I've had quite good luck. I think it's close to 1 from 10 crystals for me when it comes to rare blades. The only one I have that I don't really like is Godfrey. He was my first rare and bound to Rex. He's just too slow when it comes to combat. I much rather use Pyra and Kora. I haven't tried my newest blade yet since I stopped after I summoned her. She is some kind of animal girl with two other animals on her shoulders.

I programmed a simple tool that copies all Switch screenshots from an SD card and places them to folders according to the game:
Link

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Galenmereth

@Pahvi I'm not sure what the rules for getting overdrive crystals are, actually. I've only heard it happen, haven't managed to get one yet from completing common Blades myself.

As for the ideas, this is correct! You level those up via affinity even through merc missions and they improve your chance for rarer Blades overall. So the more you play, the higher the chance of getting those rare Blades no matter how you choose to go about it, basically

Galenmereth

maelis

Thank you very much for the replies!

Yes hate (heito) signifies aggro! i just got to the tutorial when this is explained. i'm playing in japanese.

One thing i'm not sure though : from what i understand, when i execute a special attack (the right icon that can be level 1 or 2 sometimes) i see at the up right corner the powers of the enemie that are sealed, which will stay.
if a comrade has his special attack ready, a prompt button will appear at the right or left of the screen and (atfer pressing the button) this too will cause the ennemie to have his powers sealed, the element of the attack will replace the element of the precedent special atack.
But why do the tutorial call that a "stage 3 combo" or something? and why calling this a blade combo? it's my comarade that execute his special attack, i didn't do anything(ok i activated his^^) (if my special attack is at level 1, after that i activated the special attack of my comrade, my special attack is still at level 1, it didn't get "used")... is it because it implies that i have a level 1 special attack ready and my comarade has a level2 so 1+2=3??
does blade combo mean : special attack level 2 or higher from a comrade when i have a special attack level 1 ready?

and one little important thing : the game told me that to take levels i needed to sleep in an inn, which i've done several times......but when i'm playing regularly, i see that my character takes levels! like right know, by killing a monster i got to level 13 and my life increased...so the stats increase?? so why going to the inn then??i would prefer if the stats stay the same until i decide to level^^

if you could explain to me some of these things_ sorry, i think i didn't make myself very clear_ it would be very nice

Edited on by maelis

maelis

Pahvi

Blade combo is where you use the Blades' special attacks — it's the Blade attacking when you press A/Zr/Zl, not the Driver. Driver combo is where your character uses the arts with Break/Topple/Launch/Smash effects.

I'll let someone else explain the stage 3 combos better, but this is how I think it goes. The combo requires that you follow the elemental "path" you can see in the top-right corner after throwing the first special attack in the combo. The combo starts with at least level 1 attack, continues with another at least on level 2, concludes with one with at least on level 3. The special attacks increase as the red border around it grows.

Note that you'll need to trigger the next special attack before the timer (top-right above the enemy's health bar) goes down to have it work as combo.

Leveling up at the inn: that's where you can use up the "bonus XP" you've gained from quests etc, or so I understand. Battles will increase your XP and level without you having to go to the inn.

"The review score of 6 becomes a 9 when looked at another angle. And vice versa." -me?

maelis

thank you very much:)
ah! i had compltely forgotten about this "elemental path" ^^ now the word "blade combo" makes more sence since i'm supposed to do several of the special attacks in a specific order!

for the xp, ohh so i need to be carefull about overleveling when fighting monsters^^and i had forgotten about that bonus xp ...

maelis

Arminillo

CroRock wrote:

Galenmereth wrote:

I have one big, fat, round, ugly rare Blade always leading my group of “useless” mercenaries 😁. Can’t stand his (or her lol) size and ugliness in walking around the world and specially in battles where I don’t see a s*it even if I max out the zoom.. also he/she/it is a healer and bound to Rex... speaking of Overdrive Protocols 😉

Boreas is one of the best blades in the game, no joke

EDIT: Youre gonna wish you leveled her nopon wisdom when it comes to side content.

Edited on by Arminillo

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

CroRock

@Arminillo yep, that’s the one. now when you said that... maybe it’s time for my new mercenarie leader. Thanks for heads up, I totally ignored him 👍

Edit: oh.. its “her”, not “him” then 😁

Edited on by CroRock

3DS - 2294 - 4578 - 7970
SW - 3371 - 1931 - 2042

Arminillo

@CroRock

U can put Boreas as merc, but affinity wont rise unless you unlock th Argentum Warehouse and stock food in it. So it kinda wastes time if you only are at affinity level 1

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic